Community discussions

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Feature request: Make Quickset to be separate package

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:46 pm

Please,

separate the Quickset to its own package to allow administrators to remove it.

Of course, you can ship the devices with Quickset package installed and active, but please, allow us to remove it or at least not to install when updating to newer ROS versions.

Thank you very much.

pbr3000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Feature request: Make Quickset to be separate package

Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:27 pm

I have to agree with that. Sometimes you guys mix functions dedicated to office equipment that do not make much sense in routers of a large network. Ex: SMB in core routers?

I think you guys should split RouterOS in two versions: one dedicated to consumers and office equipment and another for edge routers, core routers etc without all bells and whistles of the former.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:38 pm

+1

No need for different versions, but more / separate packages which can be installed / uninstalled at will most certainly.
Regards,
Chris

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:58 pm

+ 2
LAN, FTTx, Wireless. ISP operator

pbr3000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:48 pm

+1

No need for different versions, but more / separate packages which can be installed / uninstalled at will most certainly.
Yes savage. looks like a good solution too. The Mikrotik team should chose the most simple, but they need to do something.

bajodel
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:13 am

+1 separate package

shahbazian
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:21 am

+1 for quickset separate package
Learn MikroTik to improve your network.
( MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE, MTCUME, MTCIPv6E, MTCINE )
MikroTik Certified Trainer & Consultant
RIPE NCC Trainer

santa

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:51 pm

Sounds like a good idea. There are places, where we don't need quickset. Separate package would be sufficient, no need to have separate RouterOS versions, just possibility to enable/disable functionalities.

shahbazian
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Sounds like a good idea. There are places, where we don't need quickset. Separate package would be sufficient, no need to have separate RouterOS versions, just possibility to enable/disable functionalities.
+1 possibility to enable/disable functionalities, It is better idea.
Learn MikroTik to improve your network.
( MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE, MTCUME, MTCIPv6E, MTCINE )
MikroTik Certified Trainer & Consultant
RIPE NCC Trainer

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Are there any thoughts of Mikrotik to make something like this?

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:26 am

I like the WiFi dashboard in quickset but I never use it because my configuration isn't using the standard interfaces, and one wrong click could end up borking my configuration, forcing me to boot off of the backup partition to recover. (not that I couldn't build my router from scratch in 5 minutes, but it's a PITA I woudln't need)

But making it a package makes tons of sense - any service provider who uses Mikrotik as CPE could benefit from removing this tool from its users' devices.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

Pea
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:20 pm

+1 please, Quickset to separate package if possible

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:43 pm

similarly i would vote for making CALEA -compliant LI feature a separate package.
its make sense only in NA market, in others thats are HUGE flaw and result for hardware rejection simply because(illegal outside NA)backdoor/LI features imply they are "insecure Enough "by design" for number of applications, projects, not only in government contracts, but in even in medium and small business.
p.s.
LI implemented differently outside NA and regulated. and not require anything harware or firmware specific, thus, removing relevant exposure/breach, thus.
p.p.s.
present "CALEA" package are only contain forwarding/storing collected data(ie usable for nodes that actually Store suspect/target data, than "collection node" LI features). thus inside NA this feature is LAW and outside - a crime.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:00 am

How do you imagine that would work? The home user needs QuickSet by default, he will not download and install it before he knows how RouterOS works.

And removing QuickSet is already possible:
Screenshot 2016-02-22 09.59.45.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:31 pm

Normis, do you mean it seriously? Really?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 11, 2016 11:51 am

How do you imagine that would work? The home user needs QuickSet by default, he will not download and install it before he knows how RouterOS works.

Of course the idea of a separate package would be that this package is included in the default install and enabled
by default, then could be disabled by an admin. Just like the MPLS or the Hotspot package.

I have used the skin designer to try to change the quickset page (e.g. to remove all the dangerous settings fields but
to keep the WiFi display and the upgrade button there), but boy is this page complicated!
There are 20 times more fields and checkmarks on this page than you actually see on the webpage, probably because
they cater for all different router models and somehow the relevant sections are selected based on the actual hardware.
But it is nearly impossible to find out how to hide a section without causing havoc in others...

Maybe an alternative would be to have some system setting that enables/disables the fields that change the setup
of the router (the actual "QuickSet") all in one go, but keep the general "status display" function of the page.

baragoon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 19, 2017 8:51 am

+1111

bonz
just joined

Fri May 19, 2017 9:35 am

I would like to change a quickset to a setup wizard (for home users) step by step. With menu of 3or4 buttons. iclude wan-isp setup, wlan-wifi-wireless setup, vpn setup wizard, maybe to change dhcp default adresses.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri May 19, 2017 10:54 am

I am for whatever functional change of quickset if I will be allowed to remove it out of the device.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 19, 2017 10:57 am

I would like to change a quickset to a setup wizard (for home users) step by step. With menu of 3or4 buttons. iclude wan-isp setup, wlan-wifi-wireless setup, vpn setup wizard, maybe to change dhcp default adresses.
Please understand that this topic is a request to be able to REMOVE the QuickSet, not to have it behave differently.
Maybe you should create a different topic for that.

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Fri May 19, 2017 12:40 pm

Please understand that this topic is a request to be able to REMOVE the QuickSet, not to have it behave differently.
Maybe you should create a different topic for that.
if it is for quickset "mitigation", i'd be glad with a knob that renders quickset "read-only"
#TR0359

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 19, 2017 12:54 pm

I agree.
It is sad that with the 200 checkmarks on the QuickSet page for Design Skin to disable almost all widgets that
are on it, there is no such checkmark for the "Apply Configuration" button. That would solve
most of the problem. Removing the entire QuickSet page is a workaround, but unfortunately
it also removes the nice Wireless overview that is on it.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 19, 2017 1:12 pm

I agree.
It is sad that with the 200 checkmarks on the QuickSet page for Design Skin to disable almost all widgets that
are on it, there is no such checkmark for the "Apply Configuration" button. That would solve
most of the problem. Removing the entire QuickSet page is a workaround, but unfortunately
it also removes the nice Wireless overview that is on it.
I have a trick for you, that you should like. I think it might be one of the most unknown features in Webfig :)
Open some Wireless interface, go to the Graphs or whatever you like, enable Design Skin .. then click on the triangle next to the Graph and select ADD TO STATUS PAGE

Then check the side menu. Top place now has a new Status link. Is this what you are after? Add as many things there as you want.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Ok that is indeed nice and I did not know that!
However it is not what I meant. On the QuickSet screen for a wireless device there is
a table: Wireless Clients. It shows the currently connected clients with MAC address,
In ACL, Last IP, uptime and signal strength. That is a nice and comprehensive overview
of the wireless network. It is the thing I would not want to lose.
Of course there are some other convenient fields on the QuickSet screen that are useful
to identify the router you have logged on to, however in specialized configurations there
usually are some fields with wrong values (e.g. IP address 0.0.0.0). Not really a problem,
but it has happened some times that people "correct" them and apply config. Or even,
when the fields are OK and some field like the Identity is changed, afterwards the IP that
was not changed is suddenly applied to another interface than it was before!
So, what I really want is to turn off this "mass change of configuration" facility, in effect just
the Apply Configuration button (and maybe Reset Configuration as well).
Why is there no way in Design Skin to remove this particular button?

drillstring
just joined

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Is there any news about the removal/disabling/read-only of the QuickSet in WinBox?
English is not my native language, apologize for grammar and spelling mistakes

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:08 pm

I would agree with this. Quick set is practical, but can be quite dangerous. Maybe instigate autobackup on config change and/or double "Are you sure".
Ok that is indeed nice and I did not know that!
However it is not what I meant. On the QuickSet screen for a wireless device there is
a table: Wireless Clients. It shows the currently connected clients with MAC address,
In ACL, Last IP, uptime and signal strength. That is a nice and comprehensive overview
of the wireless network. It is the thing I would not want to lose.
Of course there are some other convenient fields on the QuickSet screen that are useful
to identify the router you have logged on to, however in specialized configurations there
usually are some fields with wrong values (e.g. IP address 0.0.0.0). Not really a problem,
but it has happened some times that people "correct" them and apply config. Or even,
when the fields are OK and some field like the Identity is changed, afterwards the IP that
was not changed is suddenly applied to another interface than it was before!
So, what I really want is to turn off this "mass change of configuration" facility, in effect just
the Apply Configuration button (and maybe Reset Configuration as well).
Why is there no way in Design Skin to remove this particular button?

AlainCasault
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Hello Normis,

Could you please repost how to remove Qucikset? I'm affraid I cant see the PNG.

Thanks,

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:45 pm

The solution he posted involved changing the skin in the web interface. It does not work in winbox.
Click on "Design Skin" and remove the checkmark in front of Quick Set, then save it as default.

AlainCasault
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:21 pm

The solution he posted involved changing the skin in the web interface. It does not work in winbox.
Click on "Design Skin" and remove the checkmark in front of Quick Set, then save it as default.
Ah! OK, thanks,

Would have loved a WinBox solution also. Oh well. :)

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:53 am

I think we would all love it. Quick setup is like a doom button in a ROS box. :-)

Would have loved a WinBox solution also. Oh well. :)