MikroTik App

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Feature request: Make Quickset to be separate package

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:46 pm

Please,

separate the Quickset to its own package to allow administrators to remove it.

Of course, you can ship the devices with Quickset package installed and active, but please, allow us to remove it or at least not to install when updating to newer ROS versions.

Thank you very much.

pbr3000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Feature request: Make Quickset to be separate package

Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:27 pm

I have to agree with that. Sometimes you guys mix functions dedicated to office equipment that do not make much sense in routers of a large network. Ex: SMB in core routers?

I think you guys should split RouterOS in two versions: one dedicated to consumers and office equipment and another for edge routers, core routers etc without all bells and whistles of the former.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:38 pm

+1

No need for different versions, but more / separate packages which can be installed / uninstalled at will most certainly.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:58 pm

+ 2

pbr3000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:48 pm

+1

No need for different versions, but more / separate packages which can be installed / uninstalled at will most certainly.
Yes savage. looks like a good solution too. The Mikrotik team should chose the most simple, but they need to do something.

bajodel
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:13 am

+1 separate package

shahbazian
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:21 am

+1 for quickset separate package

santa

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:51 pm

Sounds like a good idea. There are places, where we don't need quickset. Separate package would be sufficient, no need to have separate RouterOS versions, just possibility to enable/disable functionalities.

shahbazian
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Sounds like a good idea. There are places, where we don't need quickset. Separate package would be sufficient, no need to have separate RouterOS versions, just possibility to enable/disable functionalities.
+1 possibility to enable/disable functionalities, It is better idea.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Are there any thoughts of Mikrotik to make something like this?

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:26 am

I like the WiFi dashboard in quickset but I never use it because my configuration isn't using the standard interfaces, and one wrong click could end up borking my configuration, forcing me to boot off of the backup partition to recover. (not that I couldn't build my router from scratch in 5 minutes, but it's a PITA I woudln't need)

But making it a package makes tons of sense - any service provider who uses Mikrotik as CPE could benefit from removing this tool from its users' devices.

Pea
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:20 pm

+1 please, Quickset to separate package if possible

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:43 pm

similarly i would vote for making CALEA -compliant LI feature a separate package.
its make sense only in NA market, in others thats are HUGE flaw and result for hardware rejection simply because(illegal outside NA)backdoor/LI features imply they are "insecure Enough "by design" for number of applications, projects, not only in government contracts, but in even in medium and small business.
p.s.
LI implemented differently outside NA and regulated. and not require anything harware or firmware specific, thus, removing relevant exposure/breach, thus.
p.p.s.
present "CALEA" package are only contain forwarding/storing collected data(ie usable for nodes that actually Store suspect/target data, than "collection node" LI features). thus inside NA this feature is LAW and outside - a crime.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:00 am

How do you imagine that would work? The home user needs QuickSet by default, he will not download and install it before he knows how RouterOS works.

And removing QuickSet is already possible:
Screenshot 2016-02-22 09.59.45.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:31 pm

Normis, do you mean it seriously? Really?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 11, 2016 11:51 am

How do you imagine that would work? The home user needs QuickSet by default, he will not download and install it before he knows how RouterOS works.

Of course the idea of a separate package would be that this package is included in the default install and enabled
by default, then could be disabled by an admin. Just like the MPLS or the Hotspot package.

I have used the skin designer to try to change the quickset page (e.g. to remove all the dangerous settings fields but
to keep the WiFi display and the upgrade button there), but boy is this page complicated!
There are 20 times more fields and checkmarks on this page than you actually see on the webpage, probably because
they cater for all different router models and somehow the relevant sections are selected based on the actual hardware.
But it is nearly impossible to find out how to hide a section without causing havoc in others...

Maybe an alternative would be to have some system setting that enables/disables the fields that change the setup
of the router (the actual "QuickSet") all in one go, but keep the general "status display" function of the page.

baragoon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 19, 2017 8:51 am

+1111

bonz
just joined

Fri May 19, 2017 9:35 am

I would like to change a quickset to a setup wizard (for home users) step by step. With menu of 3or4 buttons. iclude wan-isp setup, wlan-wifi-wireless setup, vpn setup wizard, maybe to change dhcp default adresses.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri May 19, 2017 10:54 am

I am for whatever functional change of quickset if I will be allowed to remove it out of the device. [emoji1]

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 19, 2017 10:57 am

I would like to change a quickset to a setup wizard (for home users) step by step. With menu of 3or4 buttons. iclude wan-isp setup, wlan-wifi-wireless setup, vpn setup wizard, maybe to change dhcp default adresses.
Please understand that this topic is a request to be able to REMOVE the QuickSet, not to have it behave differently.
Maybe you should create a different topic for that.

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Fri May 19, 2017 12:40 pm

Please understand that this topic is a request to be able to REMOVE the QuickSet, not to have it behave differently.
Maybe you should create a different topic for that.
if it is for quickset "mitigation", i'd be glad with a knob that renders quickset "read-only"

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 19, 2017 12:54 pm

I agree.
It is sad that with the 200 checkmarks on the QuickSet page for Design Skin to disable almost all widgets that
are on it, there is no such checkmark for the "Apply Configuration" button. That would solve
most of the problem. Removing the entire QuickSet page is a workaround, but unfortunately
it also removes the nice Wireless overview that is on it.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 19, 2017 1:12 pm

I agree.
It is sad that with the 200 checkmarks on the QuickSet page for Design Skin to disable almost all widgets that
are on it, there is no such checkmark for the "Apply Configuration" button. That would solve
most of the problem. Removing the entire QuickSet page is a workaround, but unfortunately
I have a trick for you, that you should like. I think it might be one of the most unknown features in Webfig :)
Open some Wireless interface, go to the Graphs or whatever you like, enable Design Skin .. then click on the triangle next to the Graph and select ADD TO STATUS PAGE

Then check the side menu. Top place now has a new Status link. Is this what you are after? Add as many things there as you want.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Ok that is indeed nice and I did not know that!
However it is not what I meant. On the QuickSet screen for a wireless device there is
a table: Wireless Clients. It shows the currently connected clients with MAC address,
In ACL, Last IP, uptime and signal strength. That is a nice and comprehensive overview
of the wireless network. It is the thing I would not want to lose.
Of course there are some other convenient fields on the QuickSet screen that are useful
to identify the router you have logged on to, however in specialized configurations there
usually are some fields with wrong values (e.g. IP address 0.0.0.0). Not really a problem,
but it has happened some times that people "correct" them and apply config. Or even,
when the fields are OK and some field like the Identity is changed, afterwards the IP that
was not changed is suddenly applied to another interface than it was before!
So, what I really want is to turn off this "mass change of configuration" facility, in effect just
the Apply Configuration button (and maybe Reset Configuration as well).
Why is there no way in Design Skin to remove this particular button?

drillstring
just joined

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Is there any news about the removal/disabling/read-only of the QuickSet in WinBox?

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:08 pm

I would agree with this. Quick set is practical, but can be quite dangerous. Maybe instigate autobackup on config change and/or double "Are you sure".
Ok that is indeed nice and I did not know that!
However it is not what I meant. On the QuickSet screen for a wireless device there is
a table: Wireless Clients. It shows the currently connected clients with MAC address,
In ACL, Last IP, uptime and signal strength. That is a nice and comprehensive overview
of the wireless network. It is the thing I would not want to lose.
Of course there are some other convenient fields on the QuickSet screen that are useful
to identify the router you have logged on to, however in specialized configurations there
usually are some fields with wrong values (e.g. IP address 0.0.0.0). Not really a problem,
but it has happened some times that people "correct" them and apply config. Or even,
when the fields are OK and some field like the Identity is changed, afterwards the IP that
was not changed is suddenly applied to another interface than it was before!
So, what I really want is to turn off this "mass change of configuration" facility, in effect just
the Apply Configuration button (and maybe Reset Configuration as well).
Why is there no way in Design Skin to remove this particular button?

AlainCasault
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Hello Normis,

Could you please repost how to remove Qucikset? I'm affraid I cant see the PNG.

Thanks,

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:45 pm

The solution he posted involved changing the skin in the web interface. It does not work in winbox.
Click on "Design Skin" and remove the checkmark in front of Quick Set, then save it as default.

AlainCasault
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:21 pm

The solution he posted involved changing the skin in the web interface. It does not work in winbox.
Click on "Design Skin" and remove the checkmark in front of Quick Set, then save it as default.
Ah! OK, thanks,

Would have loved a WinBox solution also. Oh well. :)

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:53 am

I think we would all love it. Quick setup is like a doom button in a ROS box. :-)

Would have loved a WinBox solution also. Oh well. :)

luckhermsen
just joined

Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:39 pm

Would also like to see the option where the Quickset can be hidden by CLI.
We have employees who think they can change stuff in the Quick Set menu where actually in some cases it 'breaks' the whole config. This is especially difficult when you're in Western Europe and the Mikrotik is located somewhere at the other end of the world. Teamviewer loves us...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:02 pm

I agree.
I have a trick for you, that you should like. I think it might be one of the most unknown features in Webfig :)
Open some Wireless interface, go to the Graphs or whatever you like, enable Design Skin .. then click on the triangle next to the Graph and select ADD TO STATUS PAGE

Then check the side menu. Top place now has a new Status link. Is this what you are after? Add as many things there as you want.
We don't want tricks, we want useful changes for the majority of config users, that use hint hint winbox!!!

dnordenberg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:12 pm

+1
I don't see the point of showing quickset on a already configured router, it is like a button of doom like mmut wrote. Maybe it should work directly only on a device without any config at all or a very default like configuration. If other settings is changed make quickset show a big disclaimer "Quickset is not intended for a already configured router, continuing might make other settings undone or unusable. If you want to use quickset please change to factory settings." Choices Factory reset/Continue/Abort.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:50 pm

The seventh year is slowly going to pass... Just a reminder to Normis to come back and tell us if the request is on to do list or we should rather forget it forever.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:58 pm

We don't plan to make quickset a separate package. We actually plan to reduce number of packages

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:13 pm

When not making a separate package, consider to add some setting to disable QuickSet on a router or to make it read-only.
(not as a skin feature or as a winbox setting, but some setting in the router itself that one will have to manually reset to use QuickSet again)
This can then be set by an admin who has added advanced config to a router and who knows that QuickSet will destroy it.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:54 pm

Consider to do someting like
/system routerboard settings set nesquick-set=off

or better:

/user group
set full name=full policy="local,telnet,ssh,ftp,reboot,read,write,policy,test,winbox,password,web,sniff,sensitive,api,romon,tikapp,!dude,!quickset" skin=default

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:08 pm

We don't plan to make quickset a separate package. We actually plan to reduce number of packages
Very well. But please, PLEASE (with a cherry on top!), make so we can disable it! Something like the IPv6 on RoS6 - we can just disable it.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:17 pm

I like Your ideas, Rextended. I think they should do both: the simple disable for when we are the only users, the permissions for when there are others users involved. But I really liked them. :D

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:19 pm

Ohh.... :o
Thanks! :D

(I hope you just after netinstall create another admin and delete "admin"...)

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:24 pm

I do, but whats the difference to this problem? Without disabling it the new admin would just have Quickset available.

I see the "disable Quickset" like a shotgun approach: nuke it from orbit. The permissions approach is a more granular one, and may be preferable in some situations.

Personally, I would just use the shotgun. But that's just me. :D

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:41 pm

I do, but whats the difference to this problem?
no no, it was in () because it had nothing to do with quickset,
was about "one user" ;)

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:49 pm

Please,
separate the Quickset to its own package to allow administrators to remove it.
I could not agree more .... 100% correct.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:52 pm

was about "one user" ;)
I only need the admin user to create my own user. :D

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:48 am

quickset is the most dangerous section in whole ROS. It is a fucking blackbox. Nobody knows. I am even afraid of just opening the quickset window in winbox....

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:12 pm

Actually I think the idea of making it a policy is quite good. It could be set for the group "full" (and not for "read" and "write").
So new users with group "write" already are secured against inadvertent use of Quick Set.
And when an admin knows he has done things to the router that make Quick Set dangerous, he can reset the "quickset" policy in group "full" and it will be disabled.
That will nicely cover the scenarios we all agree are not good. The admin can still re-enable it if wanted.

(probably, when "quickset" policy is not available to the user, they could still be allowed to open the window but it would be read-only for them)

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:31 pm

I can understand a quickset on some AP,
But really a Cloud Core Router, or some other devices ISP oriented, need a QuickSet???

I know that the forum is full of people who improvise ISPs without even knowing how to tie their shoes...
Often IT engineers or network administrators ask such silly questions
that they make me understand what @DarkNate writes about the copy-and-paste of those who improvise AS on Asia...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 pm

Agree with pelchi, there is a way to provide the functionality in a safer way.

mhenriques

Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:13 pm

One more vote for a QuickSet "disable option" on WinBox/Web.

It's a dangerous panel to be active on any non-vanilla configuration, even on home/small business installations.

Mauricio

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:48 pm

What about disabling it in the skin so both WebFig and now WinBox just don't show it?

mhenriques

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:25 pm

My experience is that the Design Skin changes only affect Webfig and not Winbox. I'm using RouterOS 6.47.10 (long term) and Winbox 3.29. Changing the Design Skin on WebFig does not affect WinBox Quick Set option. Could you elaborate on your recomendation?

Maurício

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:01 pm

What's new in 7.1rc1 (2021-Aug-19 13:06):

*) added skin support for WinBox (WinBox v3.29 required);

mhenriques

Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:08 pm

I understand this is supported on V7.x , not yet available for production environment.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:29 am

Yep, but that's at least ready in v7, and QuickSet separation is just a long-standing (6 years!) feature request :)

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:28 am

Really, QuickSet give me the creeps. I don't know what it does, there is no way to find out what it will/would do, and there is no report - so we don't know what id DID.

This is truly a thing from hell.

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:43 am

Every time I log into WebFig I have to remind myself that I can't click anything until I enter the "real" non-WF tab.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:29 pm

Every time I log into WebFig I have to remind myself that I can't click anything until I enter the "real" non-WF tab.
Well, at least in WebFig you can already remove it using a skin.
Unfortunately it does not appear to be possible (in a skin) to keep the Quick Set page itself but disallow any modifications.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:42 pm

keep the Quick Set page itself but disallow any modifications.
Move the user to "read" group :D

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:03 pm

keep the Quick Set page itself but disallow any modifications.
Move the user to "read" group :D
That is why I think there should be a separate permission for QuickSet "write" and it should be on in the default admin user group, and after initial use this permission can be turned off so even members of the admin group cannot use QuickSet anymore (to modify config), unless they first reset that permission.
(I think the QuickSet in read-only mode provides a useful overview of configuration and status, so it can remain available)

deadkat
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:57 pm

+1 for making a quickset policy. It seems increasingly unlikely we will get separate packages (why that is boggles my mind…) but then we can at least disable it for certain users as mentioned above. And it can be in the full group by default so home users have it by default as normis stated.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:48 pm

+1 for policy based solution.

Quickset is truly something that evolved from hell. It's kind of helpful when you start off - but it can screw all your config should you ever hit apply/ok anytime afterwards. It may already alter your config by just opening the quickset-screen. You don't know. And what annoys me most about Quickset is, that its presets mostly only work on a device WITHOUT default config. Once you either start off from default-config and/or just change Quickset preset - you end up with a highly bogus totally messed weird f***ed up config/device you can ever think of. So for example you first apply AP profile and then switch to for example CPE profile. Have fun. End of story. You better off with /system/reset now.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:25 pm

+1 for policy based solution.
In v7rcX, winbox will "respect the skin", so if you disabled "QuickSet" in WebFig skin, and apply that skin to all user groups, QuickSet will disappear from winbox too. So some hope, to those wanting to "disable" it globally.

I'm actually hoping for improvements to it – I think it's useful, but you have to design any extra script/config around what it does. But since you can't disable "QuickSet" modes that your customizations may not support, QuickSet can make a mess of things quickly... Some CLI to remove (and ideally add) QuickSet profiles be very handy, or just disable it there.

See:
No API support to disable QuickSet: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=152201
Not the only one left wanting from QuickSet...: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65919&hilit=quickset

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:37 pm

With how many features are becoming separate packages, why isn't QuickSet one of them?

dke

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:31 am

Another year passed. Any updates on this?

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:38 am

No. And I doubt there will ever be.
Instead of wanting it gone, suggest improvements to the dev team!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:41 am

Instead of wanting it gone, suggest improvements to the dev team!
They don't listen... About the only change in the MikroTik position on this matter is that they now agree that Quick Set is a dangerous thing on already configured routers, and warn about that. But only in the docs that nobody reads, not on the actual Quick Set page. And still no way to make it read-only.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:51 am

@dke

No.

Still valid only "You can disable quickset on webfig and winbox only on v7"

how

place a file inside skins or flash/skins (depend if you have flash memory or not) called default.json
and the file must have this contents:

Code: Select all

{ 'Quick Set': 0 }

For see the differencies you must logout and login again.

eddieb

Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:07 pm

@rextended that works nice ...
are there any other menu items that can be nade invisible thru that default.json ?
for example on a MT without wifi I like to hide the wireless menus

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:26 pm

Enter WebFig and edit whatever you want: viewtopic.php?t=52184
There are things that only get hidden from WebFig and still show up on WinBox sadly.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:01 pm

@rextended that works nice ...
are there any other menu items that can be nade invisible thru that default.json ?
for example on a MT without wifi I like to hide the wireless menus
Basically, everything. Open "Design Skin" and You will see.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:15 pm

This solution removes the quickset completely.
What I would suggest is to make it possible to have a read-only QuickSet where you can review the basic configuration of the device, have the overview of the clients, but are not able to change anything.
Unfortunately precisely the buttons that apply changes in the config cannot be removed via skin. No idea why.

dke

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:05 pm

place a file inside skins or flash/skins (depend if you have flash memory or not) called default.json
and the file must have this contents:

Code: Select all

{ 'Quick Set': 0 }
For see the differencies you must logout and login again.
Thank you rextended, I missed this one. Do have additional documentation on the content of this JSON file?
Unfortunately, creation of this file cannot be scripted as /file always appends .txt, so the filename would be default.json.txt :(

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:23 pm

Download it just ready from web/ftp/tftp/sftp

(or auto-download the file activating temporarly the ftp for autodownload .txt file saving it as .json)

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:18 pm

I want a sudo-mode. Means: I need to confirm changes in quickset by entering my password.

Or another approach, like MacOS does it:
Make the quickset read only by default. Unlock via click on a lock symbol and pw-confirmation.

Ca6ko

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:39 pm

I like the information window better after you click OK or apply it warns the user that the entire configuration will be reset to the factory settings and the changes will be applied to it. And that's exactly how the changes should be done.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:41 am

One of the issues with Quick Set is that it does not really work that way.
On other manufacturer's routers there usually is a "initial setup wizard" which you start and which then asks for all relevant information, and as a final action it will build a configuration and apply it, removing all previously done configuration.

In Quick Set it does not really work that way, it makes changes to the settings it knows about but it does not remove other settings, and having a mix of them will cause new issues.
It would be better when Quick Set always starts off with a Reset Configuration, making a backup and export of the previous configuration, then setting everything to default and applying the new "wizard" config.
Then, when the user finds that this is not really what was meant to be done (e.g. because things stop working), they can restore the backup and roll back to how it was before Quick Set. And then they have learned that Quick Set is not for making incremental changes to the config.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:08 pm

Quickset isn't even working correctly if you start off with factory config. When you change the network address in quickset, it does not update DNS server address on DHCP default network config. That's a flaw I already reported some time ago via ticket system - but I never read anything about in changelogs. I guess it is still broken that way - and nobody cares.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:56 pm

It even fails to make some setups work correctly. On some devices when using them as a CPE it is easy to lock yourself out because it sets the wrong network as "untrusted".
It would be helpful when it showed some kind of block diagram or better description of the operation mode when selecting a profile.

Forage

Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:36 pm

"Quickset is a simple configuration wizard page that prepares your router in a few clicks."
All nice and well, but this is something you only do once when setting up a device. More than 75% of what is shown on that page is what you do not want to touch any more afterwards. The page should therefore not be show any more after first use or only when specifically asked for.

First-time users are better off with a one-time guided tour. I can't recall how much time I've lost when I bought my first MikroTik device because of this Quickset page. All because of the function of a dropdown at the top changing the function of the device completely not being made clear. People think it allows simply for menu navigation.
People knowing the MikroTik devices can have use for the Quickset page, but only after a reset or specifically called for.
After a device is set up all users are confronted with this page again each time they log in but I assume 95% go straight to WebFig. This makes the Quickset in its current form a waste of time for everyone.

What I'd prefer to see:
- Improve Quickset's usability
- No longer use Quickset as a mix of status and settings panels
- Only show Quickset after a reset by default, afterwards as an optional page/tab
- Introduce a proper status page as the default page after login, with only that as its function, be it with links to settings pages if needed
- Do allow people to make any of the pages the default page. If they prefer the status page they can keep it, if they want WebFig right away they should be able to choose it
- Optionally introduce a more guided settings page for first-time users to show after a reset, with the option to skip it