Community discussions

MikroTik App

SystemErrorMessage
Topic Author

NTP client/server not working

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:40 am

I noticed my routerboards never correct their time despite various settings i've tried and various NTP servers from pool.ntp.org and time.google.com. I checked the servers and they worked fine even from my PCs but when i try to get the clocks on the routerboards synchronised it just doesnt work. I even tried to test the NTP server on the routerboards and they dont seem to work too.

I am using routerOS 6.24 on CCR1036,CRS226 and RB450G.

This really bugs me because i want every device to sync locally and only 1 device which would be the ntp server to sync with public servers.

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: NTP client/server not working

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:58 am

I have it working fine actually on a RB951Ui-2HnD, ROS 6.22. I have it setup as client and server, and I even setup a "transparent" server, meaning that all computers on LAN do synchronize with the router even if they point to another server.

SystemErrorMessage
Topic Author

Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:34 pm

seems like a reboot worked with the CCR and i managed to get it to be the NTP server but the other RBs still wont synchronise. How exactly to trigger NTP synchronisation manually in routerOS?

and what configuration did you use to intercept time sync requests?

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:23 pm

and what configuration did you use to intercept time sync requests?
Basically, the same as with dns requests redirect. That's where I got the idea from. NTP sends requests on udp protocol port 123:
/ip firewall nat
add chain=dstnat action=redirect to-ports=123 protocol=udp dst-address-type=!local dst-port=123