Community discussions

MikroTik App

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RouterOS v7.0 beta1 - when?

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:56 pm

Linus Towards launch Kernel 5.xx, happens probably this summer....
Maybe Mikrotik wait for kernel 5.x :)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:06 pm

... Just to start waiting for the 6.x kernel...

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:18 pm

All new products with IPQ have driver throughput problems, Mikrotik works with a back ported driver, it would be easier to use the origin one,
but it is only available for newer kernels...
here the delay takes its toll
It becomes more clear that the kernel has been so heavily modified that it is not so easy to upgrade it anymore.
This is of course always a tough decision: do you limit the kernel changes and try to forward them to the kernel development group, which will cause a lot of wasted time due to discussion about how to implement some feature, or do you just "fork" the kernel based on some version uptodate at that time, causing the problem there is now.
On the other hand, when you do all the work on a forked kernel, you are not affected by decisions like the dropping of TILE support in the kernel.
right, and then hang on old drivers, that is exactly what happend
The problem Beginns if you has to support up to date Hardware with this old software!
And now we are standing in the rain, Mikrotik has no timeline for Ros7, flawless ARM Wireless driver, Spectral Scan........

cheeze
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:35 am

I am still not sure why Mikrotik didn't go with IP Infusion....

CTSsean
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:37 pm

DNF was released in 2011, so ...
so 15 years from version to version. Nice... so we only have another 11 years.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:12 am

I am still not sure why Mikrotik didn't go with IP Infusion....
That is not the problem.

The problem is getting a modern kernel that boots on all of the platforms while supporting hardware offloads.

Just my opinion...

cheeze
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:19 am

That is not the problem.

The problem is getting a modern kernel that boots on all of the platforms while supporting hardware offloads.

Just my opinion...
To be honest, I think it's both. However I think what you bring up is likely more of the issue though.

I wonder if it's worth it for Mikrotik to just focus on like.....x86-64/ARM/TILE going forward. Not sure if the MIPS devices are still supported to be honest. I also have been hearing that TILE is no longer going to be a supported hardware platform. Which sucks.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:15 am

It was written several times here. Future versions of ros will be running on tilera further. Ros is not affected by this.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:29 am

RouterOS uses very little of open source code. MikroTik is in direct relationship with the CPU manufacturers. We use the official drivers and code. We don't use open source code.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 am

RouterOS uses very little of open source code. MikroTik is in direct relationship with the CPU manufacturers. We use the official drivers and code. We don't use open source code.
Then explain the difficulty's with migrating on to newer Kernel.....

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:56 am

This is the difficulty :D If we were using all open source code, it would be easy to upgrade. Now we must only rely on ourselves to upgrade all programs.

Vitis
just joined

Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:04 pm

This is the difficulty :D If we were using all open source code, it would be easy to upgrade. Now we must only rely on ourselves to upgrade all programs.
Do you have any timeline? We are waiting more than 4 year for the VRF support :?

lillecarl
just joined

Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:09 pm

Is RouterOS 7 going to ship a Linux kernel?

levicki

Tue May 01, 2018 11:56 am

MikroTik (just like Ubiquiti and many others for that matter) are depending on the hardware (CPU/chipset) manufacturer for major upgrades. Those manufacturers are the ones who provide SDK and drivers (the latter usually in binary form only due to patents), and those drivers cannot be loaded on newer kernel without recompile. If the manufacturer does not supply updated binaries and SDK they cannot update anything.

patrick7

Fri May 18, 2018 3:13 pm

While I understand it needs some time to make good software, it's getting embarrassing with v7 (or its promised bugfixes). Since 2013 MikroTik promises to fix bugs with v7 (recursive ipv6 nexthops etc), and absolutely NOTHING happens. I'm sorry, but such a product is absolutely unsuitable for professional use.

Florian
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:50 pm

To be fair, some of "wait for v7" problems were in fact corrected in v6.XX (like more options for DHCPv6 Server)

My theory is that they didn't plan to push v6 this far, and they realised that SOME of v7 features could be in fact in v6, so this "helped" delay V7.

Now, Mikrotik is not a small fish, but they're not Cisco or HPE/Aruba. If V7 is a major overhaul, I can't image the hour/man needed to do that.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:17 pm

If V7 is a major overhaul, I can't image the hour/man needed to do that.
That is why it is often impractical to develop software that way.
Announcing a new version that is to be "rewritten from scratch" or similar claims usually results in failure.
Gradually developing new features and maybe rewriting some subsystems one at a time has more chance of succeeding.
Probably a chance to survive this mess is to make a release that aligns the kernel with a reasonably current version and
then work from there on replacement of the subsystems that were announced to be rewritten. However it will be impossible
to release such a change as "v7.0" because there will be a big flood of "you announced it will be fixed in v7 and now we have
v7 and it is still not fixed!" complaints. No idea how to work around that. Go to v8 immediately, change the version naming
(like Microsoft did many times) so it is e.g. called "RouterOS 2018" or "RouterOS Vista"?

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:28 pm

Probably a chance to survive this mess is to make a release that aligns the kernel with a reasonably current version and
then work from there on replacement of the subsystems that were announced to be rewritten. However it will be impossible
to release such a change as "v7.0" because there will be a big flood of "you announced it will be fixed in v7 and now we have
v7 and it is still not fixed!" complaints.
I agree that would be the best way to handle this.

About the problem of "You said it would be done on V7!": Make the version 7 a big announcement. Keep telling about the improvements the new kernel would bring. And - here is the thing - create a roadmap. Something like this:

V7.0 -> Inicial release. Low level kernel/drivers work.
V7.1 -> Subsystem "X" revamped.
V7.2 -> Subsystem "Y" revamped. Feature "Z" included. Long pending limitation "W" addressed.

Better than trying to deliver whole mythical unicorn. V7.X to V7.Y would be like V4.41.X to 6.42.X, in terms of time and development.

How about?

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:06 pm

I just want to get an idea of how much this unicorn will give birth.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Why is Mikrotik so against using open source software? We would have working 802.11ac Wave2, 5 GHz spectral scan, OpenVPN UDP support, more secure smbd, httpd, etc if Mikrotik would stop re-inventing everything in-house and use well-tested open source software. You could combine open source kernel with proprietary modules for hardware offloading etc in much the same way NVIDIA provides proprietary Linux graphics drivers for their chips.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:26 pm

One reason is probably that when you use opensource software and keep tracking all the updates, you end up with more and more bloated software that does not fit into a space-limited router anymore.
It works fine on the PC platform where space and other resource usage (CPU) has grown with the code, but on embedded hardware it is a bit more difficult.
Remember the current routers mostly have only 16MB of flash space!
(the previous generation usually had 128MB which was a bit more generous, but to store generic opensouce software for all functions you would need more like 512MB-1GB in my experience)

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:48 pm

One reason is probably that when you use opensource software and keep tracking all the updates, you end up with more and more bloated software that does not fit into a space-limited router anymore.
It works fine on the PC platform where space and other resource usage (CPU) has grown with the code, but on embedded hardware it is a bit more difficult.
(the previous generation usually had 128MB which was a bit more generous, but to store generic opensouce software for all functions you would need more like 512MB-1GB in my experience)
I don't see all this bloat. Well, not at where we talking: low level, kernel, drivers and servers. Take a look at the RaspberryPi: Full OpenSource, ARM, Linux kernel. This is fdisk usage from one I have access to (default install, with graphic desktop and full updated).

df -h
Sist. Arq. Tam. Usado Disp. Uso% Montado em
/dev/root 15G 4,6G 9,4G 33% /
devtmpfs 370M 0 370M 0% /dev
tmpfs 375M 0 375M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 375M 9,9M 365M 3% /run
tmpfs 5,0M 4,0K 5,0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 375M 0 375M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 41M 22M 20M 53% /boot
tmpfs 75M 0 75M 0% /run/user/1002
tmpfs 75M 0 75M 0% /run/user/1001

I am using 4,6GiB of disk space. Not that bad.

True, it doesn't have OpenVPN and everything else installed - but it would not use more than 1 GiB. Even if it used 3 more GiB: It would be still using less than ROS.

So, no. To me is more about control. If they build it, they can guarantee the software through the expected life cycle of the product.

If it is a good idea, if this costs less resources than going full OpenSource, if the competitive advantage is worth the trouble (even if there is one or not) is another problem - and a strategical decision to Mikrotik.

Wyz4k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:37 pm

3GB is less than ROS? ROS is 20-40MB...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:05 pm

True, it doesn't have OpenVPN and everything else installed - but it would not use more than 1 GiB. Even if it used 3 more GiB: It would be still using less than ROS.
I think you somehow are confusing MB and GB here. Quite common these days!

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:17 pm

many people also confuse bit (b) and byte (B) for traffic analysis.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:36 pm

many people also confuse bit (b) and byte (B) for traffic analysis.
many people think that if 1 megabyte = 1024 kilobytes, then 1 megabit per second = 1024 kilobits per second :)

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:58 pm

I think you somehow are confusing MB and GB here. Quite common these days!
LOL True enough. Things move so fast, we lost track of these things. Nowadays we carry in the pocket a mobile with 4GiB of RAM - and my first computer had 16KiB of RAM... Sometimes is enough to make lost track of things... :D

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:22 pm

I don't really buy this argument. Linksys, DLINK, etc all use open source software and have no issues selling $50 routers with enough disk space to support all these packages. With good compilation options and stripping of binaries it's possible to get very small versions of many popular packages. And as you say, Mikrotik used to have plenty of disk space with their products, only recently have they been skimping on the NAND size.

brotherdust
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:24 am

I think @levicki is correct about being beholden to the manufacturer's release cadences. Most manufacturers of embedded networking kit are still hanging out on kernel 3.x. It's really annoying! If any manufacturer is reading this: STOP DOING OUT-OF-LINE KERNEL RELEASES. UPSTREAM YOUR CHANGES.

I digress...
In terms of features, at release, ROS 6 was in the unique position of supporting some fairly advanced scenarios; but these had to be developed in-house. Since that time, much effort (and a LOT of money) has been put in to the Linux network stack, especially in the v4.x series. As a result, vanilla Linux kernel can do almost everything ROS can do, and more besides. ROS can't leverage those developments unless they backport the features from v4 kernel to v3 kernel, because most manufacturer SDK's are, as mentioned previously, still stuck in kernel v3-land.

So, all this to answer the question, "When?" My gut tells me that it won't happen until it's more painful to maintain ROS v6 than it is to start over and leverage open-source efforts better. As ROS v6 continues to age, use-cases in [newer, more complex, software-driven] environments will shrink; to the point where it's only useful for very small providers, small business, and home users.

From where I'm standing, as a service provider, the competitive landscape is changing rapidly. To survive, I must be able to offer new services my customers are demanding as quickly as possible. Right now, my biggest limiting factor in delivering those services is RouterOS. I really, really love RouterOS, but it's not growing with me and, sadly, I don't think Mikrotik is all that interested in what we have to say.

Evidence:
- Numerous attempts to solicit ideas for future products from the forum community (see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=121533&hilit=flagship+router), then basically ignoring it and going a different direction
- Continued focus on last-mile and switching-type devices and software supporting said devices
- Inability and/or unwillingness to maintain a coherent feature request list (see: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UNMS-Feat ... reRequests as an example of how to do it better) that the community can vote/provide feedback on

Am I wrong? Possibly. I'm trying to be as objective as I can in this analysis; but I'll admit I'm at the point of "believe-it-when-you-see-it".

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:10 am

I agree with almost everything @brotherdust has said above, his comments match my own feelings on the current state of Mikrotik.

I have been a huge fan of Mikrotik's RouterOS, but I am using it less and less. The service provider market has kept evolving but RouterOS has not evolved with it.

Mikrotik had a lot of momentum with RouterOS and Service Provider features, e.g. they moved from Quagga to their own Routing engine and added MPLS features during the 3.x and 4.x phase, and then it all just stopped during the 5.x phase. That was over 7 years ago now!

Mikrotik's sales are growing and they are focusing on the areas where they see growth, but that does not mean long term success.

This reminds me somewhat of Toyota thinking they could keep growing by making variations of the Corolla and Camry, so they stopped producing cars like the Celica and Supra, but what they did not realise was that while sales volumes for the Celica and Supra were low, they were the "hero" cars that were attracting buyers to the brand... The result, Toyota, from #1 to #6...

The Service Provider features like BGP, OSPF, MPLS, BNG (PPP/DHCP) are the "Hero" features of RouterOS...

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:07 pm

If any manufacturer is reading this: STOP DOING OUT-OF-LINE KERNEL RELEASES. UPSTREAM YOUR CHANGES.
Well, sometimes those changes are simply not accepted into kernel :)

patrick7

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:38 pm

2 years ago I had CCRs running in 3 locations. Now all CCRs have been replaced with debian+FRR boxes. Are much better (features, open source), and the price is +- the same.
The only mikrotik device I'm still using is a small CRS at home.

brotherdust
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:15 pm

I agree with almost everything @brotherdust has said above, his comments match my own feelings on the current state of Mikrotik.

I have been a huge fan of Mikrotik's RouterOS, but I am using it less and less. The service provider market has kept evolving but RouterOS has not evolved with it.

Mikrotik had a lot of momentum with RouterOS and Service Provider features, e.g. they moved from Quagga to their own Routing engine and added MPLS features during the 3.x and 4.x phase, and then it all just stopped during the 5.x phase. That was over 7 years ago now!

Mikrotik's sales are growing and they are focusing on the areas where they see growth, but that does not mean long term success.

This reminds me somewhat of Toyota thinking they could keep growing by making variations of the Corolla and Camry, so they stopped producing cars like the Celica and Supra, but what they did not realise was that while sales volumes for the Celica and Supra were low, they were the "hero" cars that were attracting buyers to the brand... The result, Toyota, from #1 to #6...

The Service Provider features like BGP, OSPF, MPLS, BNG (PPP/DHCP) are the "Hero" features of RouterOS...
What it really boils down to is management decision to go where the money is. This is not unexpected or really all that surprising. Apple does the same thing. What's troubling is that they are effectively alienating some of their fiercest advocates, service providers, in the same way Apple is alienating their professional customers. From where I stand, it's a short-sighted and frustrating turn of events; especially since they aren't really communicating this change in strategy to their customers (maybe in shareholder meetings, but I'm not privy to those).

I think what angers me the most is they aren't willing to fess up and stop leading their service provider customers on with false hope of being able to deliver the features we need. I'm willing to be patient, to bend over backwards, but only if expectations are clearly communicated. If they can't deliver, they should explain why, and set new expectations. It's that simple. =/ Is that too much to ask?

brotherdust
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:16 pm

If any manufacturer is reading this: STOP DOING OUT-OF-LINE KERNEL RELEASES. UPSTREAM YOUR CHANGES.
Well, sometimes those changes are simply not accepted into kernel :)
That's a fair point. It's not a simple matter to get those changes accepted. But that begs the question: if they're being denied, why? Maybe write better code? =)

PtDragon
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:23 pm

Dear MikroTik team!
Can we have some info on v7 progress?
Like "Release possible this year" or like "Release can be in next few years roughly" or "Don't even wait for it until 10-15 years".
You know in which state your code is, right?
And we still do not have any info at all so year after year we wait it blindly.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:29 pm

Why to wait for something that none knows anything about it?

jspool

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:08 pm

I'm more excited that they are hiring Android & iOS programmers as well as mobile application WEB application programmers. Some native management apps would be very nice.
https://darbs.mikrotik.com/darbs/

When they are ready they will release the newer RouterOS. Their new building is more conducive to their growing needs and should allow them to evolve to the needs of the industries they serve.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:17 am

Unfortunately they are not seeking the persons they need the most: the security engineers.

z1022
just joined

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:42 pm

We will release a beta, when it will exist. Currently v7 is in alpha stage, many functions are not completed and non functional. Beta needs at least all functions to be somewhat operational.
waiting for three year la

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:34 pm

It seems that releasing a complete RouterOS v7 is a very complex task.

What if Mikrotik publishes new release branches? Something like:

Legacy-v5 - Stable-v6 - Current-v6 - Daily-v6 - Current-v7 - Daily-v7

V7 can be published starting with a minimal set of features. Who needs the complete set can install v6-current, who needs v7 features (like ipv6 recursive next hop) but doesn't need other things can optionally install v7.

Vooray
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:43 pm

Hmm.. heared that U named company released linux 4 based firmware for their routers. Just to mention.

And, as i heared u can have frr on it.
No hands on that equipment, but i keep my eye on it.

And, as i track linux kernel changes, some descent work has been done in networking stack by guys from 6wind and cumulus.

So, mikrotik team, you have a chance. Or had?

huntermic
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Hmm.. heared that U named company released linux 4 based firmware for their routers. Just to mention.

And, as i heared u can have frr on it.
No hands on that equipment, but i keep my eye on it.

And, as i track linux kernel changes, some descent work has been done in networking stack by guys from 6wind and cumulus.

So, mikrotik team, you have a chance. Or had?
This makes me seriously thinking about goin back to this U named company, the lack of news on the great version 7 with support for 'old' thing like wave2 support and serious ipv6 support for instance. The Mikrotik hadware is capable but the software is limping on this hardware. Shame on Mikrotik for not even ging us an indication on how far development is. I'm done waiting.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:39 pm

This makes me seriously thinking about goin back to this U named company, the lack of news on the great version 7 with support for 'old' thing like wave2 support and serious ipv6 support for instance. The Mikrotik hadware is capable but the software is limping on this hardware. Shame on Mikrotik for not even ging us an indication on how far development is. I'm done waiting.
The problem is that the U named company has so few options for routers, and so little router functionality in WiFi equipment.

huntermic
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:30 pm

The problem is that the U named company has so few options for routers, and so little router functionality in WiFi equipment.
The real issue is lack of clarity. No communication or anything to keep us posted on the progress of the new kernel version. ( they call it version 7 but that's just a number ).
All they say is 'hey we have hardware that can do this, only the software can't but we will fix that in the next version, 7. But we might keep you waiting for many years'

ofer
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:57 pm

from what I'm seeing from a business perspective there is no point pushing for the mythical v7 as long as the v6 still sells well
Mikrotik doesn't see v7 as a priority because v6 still sells.
when v6 will become a deterring factor we will see v7 being worked on seriously until that day comes don't expect to see any major investment in v7
you should all that this is the way things are v6 is available as is because there is no official word about v7 or future roadmap take that to consideration when buying Mikrotik products.

v7 the eternal alpha will be a unicorn until maintaining v6 will cost more than developing a new one

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Except when v6 will become a deterring factor, it will be too late. It isn't easy to fix damaged reputation.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:26 pm

from what I'm seeing from a business perspective there is no point pushing for the mythical v7 as long as the v6 still sells well
Mikrotik doesn't see v7 as a priority because v6 still sells.
when v6 will become a deterring factor we will see v7 being worked on seriously until that day comes don't expect to see any major investment in v7
you should all that this is the way things are v6 is available as is because there is no official word about v7 or future roadmap take that to consideration when buying Mikrotik products.

v7 the eternal alpha will be a unicorn until maintaining v6 will cost more than developing a new one
the customers answer of missing features, don't buy it

mirhav
just joined

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:51 pm

After these years, I do not expect any serious answers to come from the Mikrotik. .... Ubiquity is much more flexible in communication ... another region, another morality

alidamji
just joined

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:12 pm

V7 beta seems to be already in development. You can see mrz's post:

viewtopic.php?t=130551

Seems to be v7beta running on Virtualbox.

buset1974
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:49 pm

After these years, I do not expect any serious answers to come from the Mikrotik. .... Ubiquity is much more flexible in communication ... another region, another morality
true endeed

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:07 pm

I've been forced into ubiquiti for Wireless gear (PtMP Sector -> CPE networks), comfortably finding 27dbi, 29dbi dishes , 20+dbi sectors and a functioning proprietary high-speed AC protocol beat out Mikrotik systems - but FUCK ME if Ubiquity's management tools are absolute shit compared to Mikrotik / Winbox - talking purely over 500+ms links here my ubiquity web-portals are constantly timing out, where I can manage my RB1100's spread out over the same country fine (still use Mikrotik for routing and PPP termination).

wispmikrotik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:28 am

2019?

ofer
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:57 am

2019?
Router OS v7 is never going to happen.

wispmikrotik
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:29 pm

2019?
Router OS v7 is never going to happen.
Well ... so let's get routeros v8.0.0 ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:58 am

Maybe they will release v13 out of joke. :-)

Numbering doesn't matter, I am happy with them as it is.

Vitis
just joined

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:12 am

Numbering doesn't matter, I am happy with them as it is.
Are you also happy with VRF implementation? :wink:

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:31 am

I had to google VRF to see what it is, so I guess the current implementation is just fine by me :-)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:41 am

Well today the numbering is usually enforced by marketeers and it could well be that a next release suddenly is called "2019" or whatever symbolic name.
But I agree that it is quite unlikely that we will ever see a version 7. There will undoubtedly be some creative move to work around that.

cgood

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:28 pm

unsubscribe ...

enzain
just joined

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:48 am

When?

We need multicore BGP (different peers connections on diffirent cores is minimum)

NAT64, DNS64, etc

Full OVPN support (compression, UDP)

etc.

enzain
just joined

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:49 am

When?

Minimum - is multicore BGP

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:26 pm

Many are exceptionally disappointed at MikroTik's transparency on the release of RouterOS v7.0.

If MikroTik is unwilling to be transparent at the very least they could do is help RouterOS become Open Source so those who care about the platform can assist in development. Many of us have the skills needed and are willing to sign agreements with vendors to help push Mikrotik ahead.

Currently Mikrotik's lack of a roadmap, transparency, implementing standards like VXLAN which is documented by IETF in RFC 7348 is causing Mikrotik adoption to slow and companies are starting to choose competing products like ubiquity. Releasing new hardware isn't "helping" adoption, so please refrain from making statements like, "We're releasing new technology."

The ball is on your court MikroTik:
1) Choose to be transparent
2) Choose to work on Open Sourcing RouterOS
3) Continue the nose dive, destroy the company

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:12 pm

What do you mean? We have been very open about it.

V7 is not ready for public release, however, development continues. When it will be released? When it's stable enough. That's all.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:31 pm

3) Continue the nose dive, destroy the company
"MikroTik. Destroying the company since 1999. For 20 years already." (c) :lol:

P.S. OMG! RouterOS is 20 years old this year?!? What's the exact date?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Only RouterOS v2, but there was another one.
1995	Arnis and John start to provide Internet services to local businesses.
	Wireless network project in Moldova.
1996	SIA “Mikrotīkls” is incorporated. The name means “Small network” in the Latvian language.
1997	Starting work on a routing utility, which then is a MS-DOS program and is called “Tik” software system.
	PC routers based on 2.4GHz Aironet platforms IC2200.
1999	Installations in Kosovo and the first Linux based RouterOS v2.0

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:52 pm

So, the first version of RouterOS was RouterOS 2.0, that's why I'm asking :)

boldsuck
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:50 pm

If MikroTik is unwilling to be transparent at the very least they could do is help RouterOS become Open Source so those who care about the platform can assist in development. Many of us have the skills needed and are willing to sign agreements with vendors to help push Mikrotik ahead.
Yes, then the Mikrotik hardware would finally openWRT friendly.
For our "Freifunk" projects in Germany, we mostly use / recommend AP's from Ubiquity or TP-Link. Every DAU can flash openWRT on it. Both companies are very community friendly. Sources per ftp downloadable. To send on CD as Mikrotik, is a nasty joke. ;-)

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:08 am

What do you mean? We have been very open about it.
Can you please define the definition of transparency? I'll save you some time, "the quality or state of being transparent".

All you have told us since 2015 goes along the lines of "v7 is currently in internal testing, and will be released as beta when it's stable enough"

I don't like being direct, but what Mikrotik is doing to people who've spent years around Mikrotik hardware, certifications and dedication is wrong. You're hurting not only Mikrotik by not being transparent or forthcoming, you're hurting us.

Items YOU need to address:
1) A graph or document indicating the current status of RouterOS v7.0, even if the features are in flux.
2) Missing standards which will not be targeted in RouterOS v7.0, i.e. VXLAN
3) Update the community with facts and projections on current development

This whole situation would be made easier if Mikrotik had a developer program to work on an open source side project. It would not be hard to set up a lab, virtualization platform or real testing hardware for those who want to be serious about contributing.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:40 am

Those are subjects to change. I don't want to promise anything and later tell you that we decided to remove something, or similar.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:44 pm

Hey guys, stop harassing Mikrotik about V7 :D It is a good topic for jokes but bad choice for serious discussion.
I am not a blind fan, but in this case, @normis is right. Anyone, who ever did a continuous development, knows that specifying future dates of release is a suicide. If you don't make it on time, everyone will complain (and it will be legit because promise was not delivered). If you rush it and make mistake/bug, everyone will complain (and it will be legit because even a simple bug can cost business millions).
Can't you be just happy that there are free updates which not only fix security holes but also improve functionality? And you can get all of that with device prices starting at $50?

In addition, demanding things this way is a bit ridiculous: "what mikrotik is doing ... is wrong" , "you need to address". Cmon... are you a shareholder or what? :lol:
Ubiquity is much more flexible in communication
Yeah. They flexibly told me that their products will misbehave if power is lost unexpectedly and the only solution is factory reset and restore from backup. Unfortunately I am stuck with them on three hospitality sites...

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:32 am

I think the idea is that after years in development, it should be slowly shaping up and they should be getting some rough idea what it will contain and when it might come out. This very thread is four years old, and third post already mentions the "codename" unicorn. And that popped up only after some time of waiting, when people started to think that it maybe takes a little bit too long. And again, that was four years ago. I wanted to add "when I was still young", but it hasn't been that long, my chances to see RouterOS v7 are still good. :D

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:59 am

Those are subjects to change. I don't want to promise anything and later tell you that we decided to remove something, or similar.
This is apart of the development process, many of us are the people who build complete platforms and architectures from the ground up. Even if a timeline or development status stated there was work on a specific feature which was later removed during a release then people would be enthralled there's at least some level of transparency.

Nobody is saying "promise us this," if you're working on an idea/feature/standard which doesn't make the cut then we may be a bit disappointed but it's better than "we're working on it"

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:02 am

Yeah. They flexibly told me that their products will misbehave if power is lost unexpectedly and the only solution is factory reset and restore from backup. Unfortunately I am stuck with them on three hospitality sites...
All network equipment should have UPS units with AVR, to not have conditioning and backup power supplies attached to radio and networking equipment is asking for trouble.

zandhaas
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:55 pm

Can't you be just happy that there are free updates which not only fix security holes but also improve functionality? And you can get all of that with device prices starting at $50?

Totally agree :!: :!:

telcouk

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:31 pm

Without sounding harsh, I think you would have been better off not telling us about v7 if that's the case.

We would not have invested in Mikrotik kit and would have a fully working IPv6 setup by now.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:53 pm

We have not advertised v7 as a version. The first post in this forum thread is by a user.
MikroTik only mentions v7 if there is some feature, that can't be implemented because of kernel limitations. In that case, it's technically not possible to make something until we have new kernel.

Other than that, have we told you there will be a v7 soon?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:06 pm

You didn't, but since the first time someone from MikroTik said "sorry, feature X is not possible now, it needs new kernel", the clock started ticking in users' heads. It's mix of optimism and trust, they (want to) believe that you want to give them the best and the right time for that is now, or at least soon. :)

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:12 pm

We have not advertised v7 as a version.
No??
Who created the subforum with the name RouterOS v6 RC and v7 BETA?? A user :)

telcouk

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:21 pm

We have not advertised v7 as a version. The first post in this forum thread is by a user.
MikroTik only mentions v7 if there is some feature, that can't be implemented because of kernel limitations. In that case, it's technically not possible to make something until we have new kernel.

Just google, site:mum.mikrotik.com "v7"
Also what Jotne said.

#facepalm

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:34 pm

You know what would help fix this? Having an open source version of Mikrotik. Some of your users are the engineers who develop operating systems, have worked on various OSes including integrating code from KAME in to the BSD projects.

If there's a new kernel required, or a code in an existing kernel which needs to be modified, then perhaps this is the time to be transparent with the community.
Perhaps this is the time to engage the community and inquire if there's any interest in having a community driven project for Mikrotik hardware.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:28 am

The development going into 6.x is development FOR 7.x as well. A lot of the roadmapped features have been put into 6.x because of the delays 7.x brings. 7.x isnt going to suddenly have a heap of new features, 7.x will likely be the latest 6.x but on new kernel, and will take a few iterations to start getting new features that were otherwise impossible on the 6.x kernel - for instance my main feature request as of right now would be VRF aware management services and better VRF implementation over-all - my understanding is that this is a kernel limitation in 6.x, but i wont be expecting this feature in 7.0beta1, i'll probably not expect it till 7.5 or later, just because the first few iterations of 7.x will be just making sure everything runs as expected on new kernel.

Development is time. There's not an unlimited amount of developers working on this, and they are obviously still pumping out 6.x (230 odd changes/fixes in current changelog, massive!) so you just have to be patient - if you want massive company resources and promises, go spend massive dollars on Cisco/Juniper/whoever.

huntermic
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:24 am

Fake News!

Sorry, this is the first thing that i think of when i read this crap.
You do sound a lot like Trump in this regard, you just can/will not tell the truth.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:33 am

Sorry to break the news to some of you, but the official stance has always been - use v6. We are working on v7, and it will be released when it will be ready.

huntermic
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:49 am

Sorry to break the news to some of you, but the official stance has always been - use v6. We are working on v7, and it will be released when it will be ready.
Correct, that indeed is the thing you keep telling us.
The problem we have is that for many years now you refer to this V7 and there even is a subforum called V7Beta, this raises expectations that after many years turn into frustration

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:56 am

I can repeat again, we only refer to v7 if there is something that can't be implemented in v6 due to kernel limitations. It doesn't even mean v7 exists.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:00 pm

Correct, that indeed is the thing you keep telling us.
The problem we have is that for many years now you refer to this V7 and there even is a subforum called V7Beta, this raises expectations that after many years turn into frustration
Developing on old Platforms often costs more ManPower then needed, there are so much changes in 4.xx Linux Kernel, why invest the time to back port them?
And it happend what i promise last year, Linux kernel is now at 5.00 and we don't see anything about ROS 7.......
We even don't know on that Kernel ROS 7 would be based.....but it would be outdated from the first day it released on....

huntermic
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:07 pm

It doesn't even mean v7 exists.
In that case, please do not say V7 but instead say: Some version we might release in the (probably distant) future

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:10 pm

In that case, please do not say V7 but instead say: Some version we might release in the (probably distant) future

Really?

huntermic
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:12 pm

Really?
Why not, holds the same informational value: nothing

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:45 pm

ZERO TRANSPARENCY

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:46 pm

When is the new Tesla Y model coming out? What features will it have?

Which company, even the transparent ones, give you information about unreleased products?

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:51 pm

Elon has stated publicly the release of information about the model will come out around March 15.

When will we see a roadmap for v7?

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:52 pm

A lot of the roadmapped features have been put into 6.x because of the delays 7.x brings. 7.x isnt going to suddenly have a heap of new features, 7.x will likely be the latest 6.x but on new kernel
The current kernel needs quite a few modifications in order to accommodate much needed improvements.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:55 pm

Elon has stated publicly the release of information about the model will come out around March 15.
Before he said that. You didn't know about March 15, right?

OK so, please wait for a similar statement.

telcouk

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:58 pm

We've been patiently waiting 5+ years :/

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:07 pm

How about you get the big boys at Mikrotik to the table so we can have an adult discussion?

You're only showing us how worthless the MikroTik training is since there is "no v7", no road map, nothing to show, no transparency and no engagement for the community who would gladly work on an community distribution (sort of like how people can load SwOS).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:46 pm

@vecernik87
Hey guys, stop harassing Mikrotik about V7 :D It is a good topic for jokes but bad choice for serious discussion.
I am not a blind fan, but in this case, @normis is right. Anyone, who ever did a continuous development, knows that specifying future dates of release is a suicide. If you don't make it on time, everyone will complain (and it will be legit because promise was not delivered). If you rush it and make mistake/bug, everyone will complain (and it will be legit because even a simple bug can cost business millions).

In addition, demanding things this way is a bit ridiculous: "what mikrotik is doing ... is wrong" , "you need to address". Cmon... are you a shareholder or what? :lol:
Ubiquity is much more flexible in communication
Wait, isnt this poster the magic unicorn? Even the magic unicorn doesn't know when v7beta will come out and thus we are all being treated equally. By the way buset1974 is obviously a student of software engineering and knows of what he speaks, the rest of you yahoos are smart as whips but on big picture stuff not really. Anyway, the real question is what will happen first, v7Beta released or a fricken stable version of Apex Legends.........

ofer
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:15 pm

How about you get the big boys at Mikrotik to the table so we can have an adult discussion?

You're only showing us how worthless the MikroTik training is since there is "no v7", no road map, nothing to show, no transparency and no engagement for the community who would gladly work on an community distribution (sort of like how people can load SwOS).
Same here I'm willing to join forces towards a community driven project.

patrick7

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:16 pm

At least you can repair a broken tesla. But we can't repair RouterOS. BGP has been broken for 5+ years now and nobody knows when it will be fixed.
Oh, sorry, we do! It will be fixed with RouterOS v7 (tm)

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:25 pm

Same here I'm willing to join forces towards a community driven project.
I'd be interested as well. A community driven firmware could push MikroTik back in to the limelight, but as right now they're falling to the way side.

Sonnix
just joined

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:47 pm

Since there is no v7 can we get a road map for udp support for openvpn which was requested 10 years ago? Or multi-thread BGP? Or for any other similar request? Because in threads like that we get an answer that it will be added in v7. So we start asking for v7. And now we get an answer that there is no v7. You see the problem here? Either give a road map for features or for v7 with the list of features to expect. Or if it's going to be another 10 years of waiting at least tell us that we should not expect any improvements any time soon so that we can move to another brand. Right now answers "it will be included in v7" or "we are working on it" hold no value at this point as as we hear them for 10 years and nothing changes.

Also some of the features can be solved if there was support for metarouter, containers or something similar for new devices.

dynek
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:51 pm

Forget about OpenVPN, go straight to Wireguard :-)

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:58 pm

We should email the executives of the company starting with Mr. Tully.

John Tully - CEO
tully@mikrotik.com

If people can provide contact information for the other executives then the rest of the community would be exceptionally appreciative.

I've sent Mr. Tully the following,
Mr Tully,

I'm writing you due to a conversation on the forum which clearly indicates there's no transparency or any plan for RouterOS v7. Many Mikrotik support staff and developers have made statements "v7 will come out soon" many years ago.

Mikrotik's software is rotting, we all know this, there's BGP issues, lack of proper OpenVPN support, lack of supporting standards like VXLAN and so on.

The community would be appreciative if the build tools could be released for building the base kernel + tools used to create a custom empty firmware. I'd be interested in driving a community effort. Mikrotik makes great hardware, I've been mikrotik for almost a decade, but the community needs to be the driving factor for the software.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:50 pm

We should email the executives of the company starting with Mr. Tully.
Good idea. Write us the result...

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:07 am

Normis:
Your post from 08Jan 2015 - v7 is currently in internal testing, and will be released as beta when it's stable enough
Your post from 06 Feb 2015 - We will release a beta, when it will exist. Currently v7 is in alpha stage, many functions are not completed and non functional. Beta needs at least all functions to be somewhat operational.

This topic about V7 was created itself?

And now you say V7 is not a version? Are you kidding?
I understand you can not say anything, but do not make fun of us at all

whitbread
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:45 am

Sry Mikrotik - your public relations behaviour is a total desaster when it comes to this topic.
This is a user forum. So I don‘t expect u guys to do the right thing nor do I expect that u even know the truth. We all know that here and there especially software projects might end in a desaster. In combination with the announcement years ago there is a dramatic chance, that ur development is lost in space, i.e. will never been finished.
This would be a desaster for the community but it will hit others even more if their business is based on your products.
Answering ‚it will be ready when its ready‘ is not an option anymore after years of ‚coming soon‘ answers. But this is again something I would expect to be dealt with by you board. So there must be anything more serious than ‚alpha status‘, ‚coming soon‘, ‚not ready yet‘. If you are lost in space and don‘t believe you gonna make it shortly - plz tell us. This will be the better option and will let u determine the right action to be taken.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:50 am

Sry Mikrotik - your public relations behaviour is a total desaster when it comes to this topic.
This is a user forum. So I don‘t expect u guys to do the right thing nor do I expect that u even know the truth. We all know that here and there especially software projects might end in a desaster. In combination with the announcement years ago there is a dramatic chance, that ur development is lost in space, i.e. will never been finished.
This would be a desaster for the community but it will hit others even more if their business is based on your products.
Answering ‚it will be ready when its ready‘ is not an option anymore after years of ‚coming soon‘ answers. But this is again something I would expect to be dealt with by you board. So there must be anything more serious than ‚alpha status‘, ‚coming soon‘, ‚not ready yet‘. If you are lost in space and don‘t believe you gonna make it shortly - plz tell us. This will be the better option and will let u determine the right action to be taken.
All unfixed Problems with ROS, where we get the answer, „will be fixed in ROS7“ show us how Mikrotik cares about there costumers, we decided last year to not buy Mikrotik Wireless anymore because of ARM NV2 Issue, what looks like it fixed now. (first issues told to support on Xmas 2017. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=128916&p=633371&hil ... v2#p633371 -to now, so it is about 13 month for this fix) and in all this time nothing as information so I think it is not possible to do serious Business with Mikrotik.

Same with Spectral Scan, missing since 2014 in ac based Devices (now with over brand on our network we see how much pain it is to miss this feature)
Same with IPv6 PPP delegated Prefix (we wait for 6 years I believe)
Same with Open VPN UDP support (we wait for more then 10 years)
Wave 2 support until Mikrotik is selling Wave 2 Hardware for more then A year now,
The next Standart is right on the corner, and support for the actually one is not Given...

But this is a think we don’t care anymore, there are overs with software that has this features.

We will run out of IPv4 Adresses this year so we need a working IPv6 Solution, but I don’t
believe Mikrotik get this ready this years, so we need to look around for our Routing and PPPoE Srvers beside Mikrotik

Mistry7

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:12 am

Normis:
Your post from 08Jan 2015 - v7 is currently in internal testing, and will be released as beta when it's stable enough
Your post from 06 Feb 2015 - We will release a beta, when it will exist. Currently v7 is in alpha stage, many functions are not completed and non functional. Beta needs at least all functions to be somewhat operational.

This topic about V7 was created itself?

And now you say V7 is not a version? Are you kidding?
I understand you can not say anything, but do not make fun of us at all
Nothing has changed from that time. Please suggest what answer you wanted to hear.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:22 am

Nothing has changed from that time. Please suggest what answer you wanted to hear.
We are not able to do Business decisions with a maybe or "in near future"

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:23 am

Assume 'never', until other announcement is made. Why are you trying to speculate a release date for something that will not be stable when released?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:02 am

The problem is that the delay has been so long and the expectations have gone op so high that it has become almost impossible to release something that will not cause a lot of criticism.
You should just have made a v7 with new kernel at some time (already enough work to forward-port all customizations that apparently have been done on the kernel), first as a "development" release then later as some form of beta, and then work from that new base to introduce new features that require the new kernel similar like how new features are introduced in the 6.x version.
Probably while keeping development on 6.x (by backporting new features that do not require the new kernel) for some time until the new platform is considered "stable".
But now you can't do that anymore because when you now release a v7 that is just a 6.44 with new kernel there will be a large uproar.
And there is no need to continue development of an "all new v7 with new routing engine and this and that and that" and release it as a single new version, because you will never be able to make that happen in a company without unlimited resources and while continuing support of a version 6. It will always remain a back-burner project that gets too little attention.
(which it now has been for about 7 years)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:06 am

Very good response pe1chl, you are getting it.

Anyway, I am just trying to keep expectations mild. Most development is done on v6, as you can see from all the new features, fixes and huge changelogs.

genesispro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:48 am

out of curiosity...
which are the key features that the new kernel has that they cannot use at the moment in this kernel?

In other words what would make a big difference (feature or improvement) and CANNOT be implemented in the current kernel?

I am not questioning, I am wondering

Sonnix
just joined

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:48 pm

If release date for v7 is 'never' than the answer we wanted to hear is the release date for every requested feature. Or if there is no release date and we should not expect it in near future then we wanted to hear an answer 'never' for that feature instead 'it well be in v7'. Just stop mentioning v7 in feature requests if there is no v7.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:52 pm

It is not never. I suggested to stop worrying about it and use v6.
About the features, which features do you need? Remember that MikroTik does not implement features by demand. It might not be feasible or possible to make something. Everything has to be evaluated individually.

onnoossendrijver

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:25 pm

The only feature that makes me sometimes buy from the other guys is ipsec with VTI support. So please implement this :)

Sonnix
just joined

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:55 pm

About the features, which features do you need? Remember that MikroTik does not implement features by demand. It might not be feasible or possible to make something. Everything has to be evaluated individually.
The feature I'm personally interested in is udp support for openvpn which was requested in 2008. It's not even a new feature just an extension of existing one. It was never stated that it is not feasible or possible.
Instead we get answers like this:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26499&start=100#p617477

Should we consider such answers an 'never' now? Or will some reasonable timeline be given for this feature instead of promised v7?

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:49 pm

For my company IPv6 recursive lookup, faster routing table updates (BGP/full view) and IPv6 route reflection are really important.

(edit: forgot one feature).

telcouk

Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:44 pm

For ourselves it would be:
IPv6: iBGP with OSPFv3 using loopback addresses (OSPFv3 uses link local addresses which is breaking things).
BGP: Faster routing table updates

patrick7

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:19 pm

Also things like delete-bgp-communities, which is probably a 3 liner of code.
But due to some strange reasons MikroTik refuses to touch any routing daemon (exceptions are made for serious bugs).

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:45 pm

As a WISP - I'm primarily interested in wireless so I'm interested about spectral scan on AC. And wave2 support?
Will we wait for it in version 6.x or wait for the V7 that will never come?

schadom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:42 pm

+1 for increased BGP performance and security:
- faster routing table updates !!!
- faster route matching (via /ip route print where x)
- RPKI ROV support (see https://rpki.realmv6.org)

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:01 pm

... when you now release a v7 that is just a 6.44 with new kernel there will be a large uproar.
As many other people, I also expect that when v7 comes out, my router will be able to do anything I've ever dreamed of and more, and make me a coffee on top of that (without any additional hardware required, that's how great will v7 be).

But realistically, just kernel update without anything else would be reason to celebrate. Not that users need it that much (they don't need to care about what's inside, as long as it does everything they need), but lack of new kernel was given as a reason by MikroTik several times, why some feature can't be implemented, so it would remove one important obstacle.

doush
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:33 pm

How come new high-performance tilera replacement products can come without the new kernel ?
I dont think many modern CPUs supports the ancient mikrotik kernel nowadays.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:52 pm

... when you now release a v7 that is just a 6.44 with new kernel there will be a large uproar.
As many other people, I also expect that when v7 comes out, my router will be able to do anything I've ever dreamed of and more, and make me a coffee on top of that (without any additional hardware required, that's how great will v7 be).
The point is that many new features have been postponed for many many years "until v7" even when they do not require a new kernel at all!
(e.g. a complete implementation of OpenVPN, which can run on much older kernels than is now in v6, or better IPv6 functionality)

v7 has become synonymous with "able to do anything I've ever dreamed of and more, and make me a coffee on top of that" mostly due to those repeated replies to feature requests.
And I think many users have not read that as "ok first we have v7 and that brings us a new platform to build new features in later 7.x versions".
No, they now fully expect that version 7.0 will include all those "will be done in v7" features, making it a huge development effort and almost impossible to get right.

telcouk

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:07 pm

There is obviously a huge stumbling block as to why a kernel upgrade has not happened, either in a 6.x version or the unicorn v7.

Let’s not forget that Mikrotik is mostly made up of open source software, maybe one or more elements can’t be upgraded to a more recent kernel?

My guess is that it’s fast path / fast track… They both rely on the route cache, which isn’t available in more recent kernels.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:13 pm

There is obviously a huge stumbling block as to why a kernel upgrade has not happened, either in a 6.x version or the unicorn v7.

Let’s not forget that Mikrotik is mostly made up of open source software, maybe one or more elements can’t be upgraded to a more recent kernel?

My guess is that it’s fast path / fast track… They both rely on the route cache, which isn’t available in more recent kernels.
Mikrotik writes its own drivers, and maintains its own kernel patches to the Tile CPUs. It is open to discussion if this is a good decision, but I don't know enough (both of the internals of Mikrotik business and of driver development) to have an informed opinion.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Ive written my letter to Tully CEO.
It says.
"Don't listen to all these yahoos on the forum that whine about v7. Keep providing stable secure releases with the fixes that can be managed with the resources you have. Regardless of the brand of networking equipment, there is always a huge crowd of unsatiated users demanding more. The challenge is to maintain focus and keep abreast of actual changes in standards.
If and when you wish to relocate Mikrotik to Canada, I will help as best I can. I have a tent on our property and we are painting Normis's name on it."

buset1974
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:48 am

Very good response pe1chl, you are getting it.

Anyway, I am just trying to keep expectations mild. Most development is done on v6, as you can see from all the new features, fixes and huge changelogs.
some cases promise fix on v7 are not fix yet on v6 thought.
BGP withdraw on PE-CE, OSPF NSSA, etc.

Please fix the issue without waiting for v7.

Problem above are not cosmetic features, you're product are world wide used now, not just as CPE but also PE or CORE and those issues already known years.
Last edited by buset1974 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PtDragon
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:00 am

normis, Some months ago i suggested that your company can post small monthly updates(just a little bit of info what progressed in last month for v7(roughly what you worked at last month), any of developers can do that in just some minutes).
Because right now all we know that is that you work on something and its not ready yet.
Correct me if i'm wrong but it looks like an easy thing to do.

P.S. I really wait much for new queue types for easier latency management.

jimmer
just joined

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:24 am

I too second the faster and more secure BGP updates as well as better handling of multi core devices with respect to routing and filter rules.

Since 7.0 has become the Duke Nukem Forever of the RouterOS world maybe skip straight to RouterOS X (10) so the stigma of the Neverending release date can be put to bed :)

I do like where development is heading but I do feel that RouterOS is getting a little behind the competition, go back a few years and it was definitely leading, I will be sticking with RouterOS, I wont be returning to the Cisco camp (since i've replaced all of our Cisco kit now) but Mikrotik does need to prove it's willing to challenge the competitors, the 6.x tree is slipping - it's now 7 years old.

Kind Regards,
Jim.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:57 am

THE GOOD NEWS IS, that once RouterOS is brought up to date on 4.x kernel - it should be a fairly straight run to keep it updated. The Linux Kernels are not feature releases, meaning the diff between 4.20 and 5.0 is just patches, not a huge new architecture or anything. We just gotta make this one big jump and hopefully smooth sailing.

However another thing I'm really keen for - and I'm not sure if this was an old kernel limitation or not - is proper /31 support. I'd love to use /31's for PtP without muck-about rules and static routes.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:27 pm

maybe skip straight to RouterOS X (10)
But for now it's RouterOS 9 ("Nein" in German) :lol:

ofer
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:42 pm

maybe skip straight to RouterOS X (10)
But for now it's RouterOS 9 ("Nein" in German) :lol:
Don't worry you'll have RouterOS 7 soon enough.. (when pigs will fly)

buset1974
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi,

When RouterOS v7 beta1 is gonna to be released?
This is the first question from this thread in 2015.
now is 2019, next year is 2020

thx

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:40 pm

Ages are not ending by 2020.

TimurA
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:10 pm

Ages are not ending by 2020.
someone may not live :D

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:45 am

May not... But others will be borned.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:46 am

May not... But others will be borned.
The cycle of RoS?

borisk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Guys, what are you arguing about? Everyone of us knows the v7 release date. Really. Just a mathematics. We are at 6.44 now. Each release requires 3-4 months. So.... 700 - 644 = 56 release cycles. 56 * 4 / 12 = 18,(6) years. So, the year 2037 will be year of 7.00 release!

P.S. Don't thank

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:05 pm

Fortunately for us, it's not regular number but version number, it has different rules (which means no rules at all, total anarchy :)).

anthonws
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:19 am

Context: Long time (home) user, lurking in the forums, enjoying reading change logs and all the advancement that Mikrotik is doing.

Perspective on the topic: I can see that Mikrotik could definitely improve their marketing and messaging around the roadmap of their products and the future investments.
In the current era, customer engagement is for sure a very deep and important part of any company. Specially when it's aligned to innovation.
Customers often invest more in a vision, and a partnership, than actually a change log or a vain/shallow promise of something that is totally unclear and not transparent.
I'm sure everyone that is sticking around knows that Mikrotik is a commercial company, and therefore needs to be profitable, and that resources are not unlimited, but customer engagement (like stated above) is (in my perspective) vital.
So, in essence, albeit the fact that it's important to follow standards and not investing in areas that are not aligned to what the industry is doing, would it hurt to create focus groups, composed by your most trusted and recognized customers (WISP, trainers, architects, etc.) and get feedback flowing into the community? "It's ready when it will be ready" doesn't provide your customers the trust and openness that they expect.
Sharing something (that doesn't compromise your IP and competitive edge) with the community, even if saying in bold letters "Dates are subject to change", is a growing, and quite common, practice.
There are several successful projects out there that do it in a very intelligent way, without requiring a horde of resources, and the benefits are quite visible.
Remember that it's all about the journey. I'm sure that 99% of the people still sticking around and replying in this forum, they are here simply because they care. Because they once believed in Mikrotik's "Why".
Although it's vital not to lose your eye on the "Why", it's still of upmost importante to make sure you explain the "What" and "How" properly.

My 2 cents,
anthonws.

hugleo

Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:32 pm

/31 support

rupeshkafle
just joined

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:31 pm

About features, due to adaptation of IPv6, IPv6 route marking should be implemented ASAP. Also recursive routing should be supported for easy implementation of BGP on IPv6.

ofer
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:07 pm

Guys, what are you arguing about? Everyone of us knows the v7 release date. Really. Just a mathematics. We are at 6.44 now. Each release requires 3-4 months. So.... 700 - 644 = 56 release cycles. 56 * 4 / 12 = 18,(6) years. So, the year 2037 will be year of 7.00 release!

P.S. Don't thank
my estimation is 1 - 2 years

plankanater
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:14 am

would love BGP information sent via SNMP

crcro
just joined

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:41 pm

please fix bgp issues now ... no more v7 please! working with mikrotik routers several years now and i try to use them as little as possible when bgp is needed!

no info about bgp in snmp
slow search in routing table
slow prefix/filter list updates

even on high end routers like CCR*!

what is the reason for high memory and high cpu count if you can use them properly?!

Takv
just joined

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:48 am

RouterOS v7 MUST include stable x86-64 architecture for PC. New and old ethernet drivers compatibility, and/or the ability to install custom drivers from linux repositories.

Regards.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:50 pm

RouterOS v7 MUST include stable x86-64 architecture for PC. New and old ethernet drivers compatibility, and/or the ability to install custom drivers from linux repositories.
You forgot "make me a coffee" button.

Takv
just joined

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:01 pm

You forgot "make me a coffee" button.
You're right, but lot of people concerns (including me) about the x86-x64 PC support through the forums. So we need a real "official" industrial coffee machine for all.

Takv
just joined

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:16 pm

In fact, Mikrotik started as a software development company, and now, starting from 4 to 5 years ago, they have some kind of company secrecy around the upcoming major RouterOS software update, or they are just focusing in hardware development, forgeting they origins. Not in vane they have begun speaking about v7 version five years ago, or is it? So, the less they have to do is to incorporate the most old complains in the major update. We are talking about x86-x64 PC Image, the ethernet driver extense support and all related to ipv6 and bgp, also including the present and stable NV2 AC and Wave 2 support, at least. You have to just look, there is so many complains in the forums never ever solved...

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:16 pm

No news about Ros 7?

patrick7

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:16 pm

never ever solved...
Don't worry. I'm sure it will be fixed with RouterOS v7

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:55 pm

I think there's a high risk that some architectures/platforms will be stuck on ROS v6 for flash-size and toolchain reasons. v7 will probably be ARM and x86_64 only, and will probably lack some features thats simply not portable (I guess MPLS- and tunnel stuff).

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:38 am

I think there's a high risk that some architectures/platforms will be stuck on ROS v6 for flash-size and toolchain reasons. v7 will probably be ARM and x86_64 only, and will probably lack some features thats simply not portable (I guess MPLS- and tunnel stuff).
This is my expectation as well.

rkj
just joined

Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:41 am

Something I believe is missing from the feature requests I've read is network telemetry (https://blogs.cisco.com/developer/its-t ... -telemetry) ; SNMP should stand for "Scalability Not My Problem" in how hard it's to make a thousands elements service provider network manageable. My guess is that it would also ease up the CPU load of boxes when WinBox is connected to them.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:00 am

re. network telemetry: Well, idea in theory is nice but I find monitoring through highly-abstract layer a bit suicidal. As long as it works, it will be great, but there are few points:

- it definitely won't ease up CPU load (because HTTPS is way more intensive on CPU and bandwidth than SNMP),

- if something goes wrong, it will be way harder to troubleshoot. Look at many network elements (including UBNT, DLINK, TPLINK, mikrotik's SwOS etc etc..) - the least reliable module of most devices is always the web interface/server. And now you want to run realtime monitoring via this module? cmon.

- even now, manufacturers are unable to properly implement universal OIDs in SNMP and too often they implement their own MIBs. I am desperately trying to monitor important devices in my companies through dude, but every manufacturer makes their own way of recording elements. No matter if we talk about printers (and remaining toner), no matter if we talk about UPS (and available capacity or output load). Do you really believe they will somehow magically work together and make this working? universally? nope, not gonna happen. In the best case we get many different proprietary implementations, one from each manufacturer, which won't be compatible. In the worst case, some manufacturers will come with different version for each of their brands and they won't work together.

edit: actually about the push/pull method... I am actually thinking that pull method might be more scalable than push method. Thing is, that with push method, all devices will keep pushing data to controller node. But what if the node becomes busy? or just overwhelmed because there are to many devices? With pull method, controller can easily schedule requests based on requirements - critical data can be polled every few seconds, less important data can be polled once a minute. More important devices can be scheduled more often, less important devices can be polled rarely. Or even if there is some critical task, controller can postpone polling of other things temporarily. See? this is the actual scalability based on controller's configuration.

MasterJames
just joined

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:26 am

Wow this is the biggest blunder in the history of the internet.
Such a shame since RouterOS is great except for this problem with IPv6 in general.
This should be open sourced before they go under. Really it's pretty much to late.

I say open source RouterOS 7+ now or die. Release it for the community to make it work. At least they will be able to try and do something.
As long as they get what they need working, other parts can be addressed over time, and not by waiting over 10 years <SHOCKING>.

This is so bad I think you are really left with corruption as the only explanation, (trying hard not to be paranoid) that and incompetency that is not being addressed.
Incompetency can be resolved. Retardation of an entire corporation is mind boggling. No one is at the wheel.

Or get some financing to hire as many experts (all on here waiting for a decade) to add what seems like a simple enough thing.

Can I install https://dd-wrt.com/ DD-WRT on this RB4011 paper weight? Will a refund on my new RB4011 send the right message or should I hope my loses will help support a company that has passed the point of no return, and think maybe it will be usable in a few years,

If we get some kind of source we can replace or another company can maybe take charge. Can this be given to apache.org or something?
How can we as a community get Mikrotik to allow us to take the wheel and get shyt done!? Can we start a class action lawsuit? I'll sign it, I have losses due to negligence. We need to decentralize people. For the Grid with Arduinos or similar (I'm for WiFi GPUs in light-bulbs?).
A boycott? A petition? anything. Something to through a stone at maybe?

Okay so what's my alternative Cisco? Does their GUI need Java so lame or lamer are my two choices. Bummer. "It's mi way or the Huawei." [ No there out too. ]

I know this sounds like a rant but it feels like I'm drowning. So desperate to find real solutions. Best one I can think of would be to open source RouterOS.

Is this link below anything, a download archive of binaries or what? Is there a Git Repo for RouterOS. Who can explain why that is not possible? If not, I think I'm done, because 5 years ago was the time to act on this idea. It's really too late for even that. Just stop fixing ROSv6 it's dead without IPv6. Divert all resources to release even a borken alpha as soon as possible.

https://github.com/robimarko/routeros-GPL

I've burned uncountable hour$ smeared over a number of months tracking down this horrible truth about RouterOS' grievous incompetency. It makes me & us look bad and has jeopardised many other companies with similar pointless losses too. [ It's no longer worth my time to pursue this route. ]

Okay so it's too bad it does not even make coffee but it probably has enough juice for that.
If Mikrotik sold to Google, Google would conclude to do the right thing and shut it down in about 9 days (a current statistical fact about google these days see Google+ etc.).

Can I get on a mailing list for when ROS7 is available just so in another 10 years I can have a good laugh?

Okay now I go get a couple of boxes of paper towels for my tears I'm drowning in.

My final thought to share is that we could have a mass burial. This idea will create a release deadline so on Bury Your Mikrotik Day say April 1st 2020 (joke is on us), we all just say a final goodbye together to a tragic death of a good friend, cut down in it's prime by what is best defined a stupid senseless crime against humanity.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:09 am

Interesting find, that repository. A 12MB, 400k lines kernel patch, it looks like good explanation why it's not easy to just swap kernel for newer one.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:00 am

Wow this is the biggest blunder in the history of the internet.
Such a shame since RouterOS is great except for this problem with IPv6 in general.
This should be open sourced before they go under. Really it's pretty much to late.

I say open source RouterOS 7+ now or die. Release it for the community to make it work. At least they will be able to try and do something.
As long as they get what they need working, other parts can be addressed over time, and not by waiting over 10 years <SHOCKING>.

This is so bad I think you are really left with corruption as the only explanation, (trying hard not to be paranoid) that and incompetency that is not being addressed.
Incompetency can be resolved. Retardation of an entire corporation is mind boggling. No one is at the wheel.

Or get some financing to hire as many experts (all on here waiting for a decade) to add what seems like a simple enough thing.

Can I install https://dd-wrt.com/ DD-WRT on this RB4011 paper weight? Will a refund on my new RB4011 send the right message or should I hope my loses will help support a company that has passed the point of no return, and think maybe it will be usable in a few years,

If we get some kind of source we can replace or another company can maybe take charge. Can this be given to apache.org or something?
How can we as a community get Mikrotik to allow us to take the wheel and get shyt done!? Can we start a class action lawsuit? I'll sign it, I have losses due to negligence. We need to decentralize people. For the Grid with Arduinos or similar (I'm for WiFi GPUs in light-bulbs?).
A boycott? A petition? anything. Something to through a stone at maybe?

Okay so what's my alternative Cisco? Does their GUI need Java so lame or lamer are my two choices. Bummer. "It's mi way or the Huawei." [ No there out too. ]

I know this sounds like a rant but it feels like I'm drowning. So desperate to find real solutions. Best one I can think of would be to open source RouterOS.

Is this link below anything, a download archive of binaries or what? Is there a Git Repo for RouterOS. Who can explain why that is not possible? If not, I think I'm done, because 5 years ago was the time to act on this idea. It's really too late for even that. Just stop fixing ROSv6 it's dead without IPv6. Divert all resources to release even a borken alpha as soon as possible.

https://github.com/robimarko/routeros-GPL

I've burned uncountable hour$ smeared over a number of months tracking down this horrible truth about RouterOS' grievous incompetency. It makes me & us look bad and has jeopardised many other companies with similar pointless losses too. [ It's no longer worth my time to pursue this route. ]

Okay so it's too bad it does not even make coffee but it probably has enough juice for that.
If Mikrotik sold to Google, Google would conclude to do the right thing and shut it down in about 9 days (a current statistical fact about google these days see Google+ etc.).

Can I get on a mailing list for when ROS7 is available just so in another 10 years I can have a good laugh?

Okay now I go get a couple of boxes of paper towels for my tears I'm drowning in.

My final thought to share is that we could have a mass burial. This idea will create a release deadline so on Bury Your Mikrotik Day say April 1st 2020 (joke is on us), we all just say a final goodbye together to a tragic death of a good friend, cut down in it's prime by what is best defined a stupid senseless crime against humanity.
No worries, mate, just ship all your latest MT products to me I will take them off your hands and will pay shipping LOL. In Nova Scotia, we help you part with those things that are stressing you out. Its the least we can do. Things are so chill here. :-)

Omniflux
just joined

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:42 am

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RouterOS v7.0 beta99 - released.

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:11 am

From the video:
7.00beta99 so long past beta1 as the title asks for :)

7.00Beta99.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:28 am

From the video:
Perhaps MT is counting down ... so next beta from the one shown in video (probably not current any more as @Normis hinted) was beta98 ... and so forth. So v7 will be released to public when count-down reaches beta1 :wink:

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:06 am

Arent jokes funnier if not published 4 days late?

P.S: this CGI business is getting out of hand

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:16 pm

From the video:
Perhaps MT is counting down ... so next beta from the one shown in video (probably not current any more as @Normis hinted) was beta98 ... and so forth. So v7 will be released to public when count-down reaches beta1 :wink:
I have seen v6.99, when MT is working on the fix/debugging of some crash fixed on our routers

schadom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:55 pm

@normis can you confirm the authenticity of this video? if real, this would be very nice!

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:33 pm

viewtopic.php?p=725088#p725088 — isn't that about authenticity? :)

schadom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:20 pm

dude, honestly i'm not here for the lulz. we work with business customers and we expect clear statements from MT so that we can plan our next hardware purchases.

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:56 pm

dude, honestly i'm not here for the lulz. we work with business customers and we expect clear statements from MT so that we can plan our next hardware purchases.
I can't imagine what Mikrotik stock would be like if they were public. The stock would be more volatile than TSLA based on public statements.

anthonws
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:57 pm

I think the plan is very clear if you're dealing with Enterprise customers. The "It's ready when it's ready" statement says it all :)

Me, as a consumer, I honestly couldn't care less. Sure, I'm unhappy for not having a couple of cool features, but my investment until now has been very low and I don't mind replacing everything tomorrow for something else that fulfill my needs.

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:50 am

I don't mind replacing everything tomorrow for something else that fulfill my needs.
Unfortunately some of us are in such a scenario where we must decide to work on a custom firmware solution for Routerboard devices or spend the money replacing all Mikrotik hardware.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:44 pm

The "It's ready when it's ready" statement says it all :)
I fully agree. "It's ready when it's ready" is what a hobbyist writes. Or a beginner.
A professional developer has a plan and a schedule, and can explain overruns of the schedule.

maara

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:04 pm

This "It's ready when it's ready" approach is something that shouldn't be part of your PR if you are an enterprise company. If so, then your management is seriously lacking.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:52 pm

This "It's ready when it's ready" approach is something that shouldn't be part of your PR if you are an enterprise company. If so, then your management is seriously lacking.
Just like Google, btw.
" - When are you planning to release that feature for Google Cloud?
- When it's ready, no ETA (c)
- <working hard to implement the feature in a self-hosted way>
- <in 2 month they release it>
- F*ck! Are you kidding? We could wait for those 2 month instead of doing a ton of sh*tty work!"

maara

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:54 pm

Just like Google, btw.
Agree, yet Google is not selling any enterprise HW products and no customers are planning any new infra deployments based on their hw etc...

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:15 pm

Just like Google, btw.
Agree, yet Google is not selling any enterprise HW products and no customers are planning any new infra deployments based on their hw etc...
HW products by Mikrotik are mostly fine. It's mostly software which makes us sometimes unhappy. ROS7 is, after all, software which will, hopefully, run on our existing HW. All in all, this is not that far from what we expect from google ... only that for google's services you most of times pay with personal data and for Mikrotik's services you pay with hard cash and electricity ... and receive back some heat (you can't say that about google's services).

tesme33
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:33 pm

Independantly when R7 comes , in the toolchain of Melanox it is stated that they use kernal 3.10.104 which was released 21.10.2016.
Mmmh this is really long time back. A lot of improovements have been implemented since then and i doubt that MT has the capacity to get all these benefits backported.
So which kernel will we get ? And Is this good or bad ?

http://www.mellanox.com/repository/solutions/tile-scm/

How this looks like for the other processors i didnt check. But at least the tile will get the new OS with hope of a better parallel CPU usage.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:25 pm

only that for google's services you most of times pay with personal data and for Mikrotik's services you pay with hard cash and electricity ...
I was talking about Google Cloud Services. You pay for it in cash also :)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:34 pm

only that for google's services you most of times pay with personal data and for Mikrotik's services you pay with hard cash and electricity ...
I was talking about Google Cloud Services. You pay for it in cash also :)
Well that sounds better (but still no heat in exchange I guess). Unlike majority of inhabitants of Earth I value my own personal data and choose to pay with cash ... it's much easier to decide if something is worth the price or not ...

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:49 pm

Mikrotik have a Big problem with costumers and product.... Forun Gurú not improve the result

irukandji
just joined

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:18 pm

Omg, just ordered rb4011 and I thought something is seriously wrong. :lol:

IPv6? I didnt notice any lack of IPv4 addresses yet, so I wouldnt bother too much... Just relax.

(anyway until I am forced by ISP to use IPv6 and I wont have any chance to switch to some other, I will keep it turned off to keep my sanity)

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:05 pm

Wireless ac improvement It is other Big problem...

PtDragon
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Guys, we have a lot to progress to, current kernel is 5.X.
That is cool that we have 7.x in development.
But still, even if it becomes a tradition that MikroTik programmers dislike - please post a bit about your progress every month(just some things you remember in 5 minutes, no need for full details).
Surely one of programmers can sacrifice 5-10 minutes of time every month to keep people informed. 10 minutes is a full maximum to tell changes you are working at.
Really, we know too few for now, i know it can be embarassing if you show something on 5.x kernel tat does not even have enough features.
But still it will be a small window thru which we can see a small bit of your hard work.
Yeah, you have own code, you have own repositories, that's okay, just give small bits of info on what you are working so we can objectively see you do some work(because after some years with no information many people start to doubt you do anything on v7 branch).
Please, i really wish to hope for myself and for some of my clients that you will do 7.x branch with better(more even) load sharing between the cores.

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:18 pm

+1 Great idea¡¡¡¡¡ no timelines but we know the progress.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 01, 2019 9:17 am

Great idea but can’t see it happening.
Do Apple give updates on what their design and software team are working on?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 01, 2019 10:16 am

I asked about it at the Amsterdam MUM.
(actually I asked when we would get more IPv6 features, the reply was "in v7" as usual, then I wondered if we would ever get that)

The reply was "certainly before the end of the year".
Of course, it wasn't mentioned "which year" :-)

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 08, 2019 4:40 pm

A lot of days without New firmware... Is It a Ros 7 signal?

anthonws
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 08, 2019 5:15 pm

No. It's just a signal of no signal. Typical around these corners...

buset1974
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu May 09, 2019 4:07 pm

not yet

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 18, 2019 10:27 pm

When? In a long future?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 18, 2019 11:11 pm

It's getting closer every day! ;)

anthonws
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun May 19, 2019 12:04 am

It's getting closer every day! ;)
What an awesome slogan for Mikrotik!

"Trust in Mikrotik! What you're waiting for is getting closer every day!" TM

Microsoft tried patenting that for Windows Phone/Mobile, but Mikrotik got there first ;)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 19, 2019 11:17 am

"Trust in Mikrotik! What you're waiting for is getting closer every day!" TM

Microsoft tried patenting that for Windows Phone/Mobile, but Mikrotik got there first ;)
Don't use that example, we all hope that it will not be vaporware like Windows Phone...

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 19, 2019 12:04 pm

we all hope that it will not be vaporware like Windows Phone...
Windows Phone was not vaporware, it was real ... shit. And that's why it disappeared real soon ...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 19, 2019 1:15 pm

Windows Phone was not vaporware, it was real ... shit. And that's why it disappeared real soon ...
Well, it really showed that Microsoft thrives only on existing installed base.
In a "new market", it really stands no chance against the competition.
However, what I meant is that the platform has almost (and also completely) disappeared many times, with the proponents clinging onto a promised new version time after time.
And every time it failed to deliver. We would not want that same thing happen to RouterOS...

anthonws
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon May 20, 2019 12:20 am

Well, it really showed that Microsoft thrives only on existing installed base.
In a "new market", it really stands no chance against the competition.
However, what I meant is that the platform has almost (and also completely) disappeared many times, with the proponents clinging onto a promised new version time after time.
And every time it failed to deliver. We would not want that same thing happen to RouterOS...
Indeed we don't want to see the same thing happen to RouterOS.

But I'm sure ROS 7 is going to be the savior, just like Windows 10 Mobile was :P heheheheh

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 20, 2019 8:34 am

The worst of this situation in mikrotik silence

I Hope that wisp have future in a fiber world

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 20, 2019 1:09 pm

I just want to let everyone know, that v7 is progressing pretty good this year, and most core functionality is usable. Some more difficult parts need to be done and we can release a public beta.

Keyko

Mon May 20, 2019 1:15 pm

I just want to let everyone know, that v7 is progressing pretty good this year, and most core functionality is usable. Some more difficult parts need to be done and we can release a public beta.

1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 20, 2019 2:03 pm

@Keyko, hold on there on the tree trunk, don't fall down! ;-)

anthonws
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon May 20, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback @normis! It sure adds a bit more of clarity, although there's no rough timelines.

But definitely an improvement over the "it's ready when it's ready". And for that I congratulate Mikrotik.

Cheers,
anthonws.

p.s. Now, before everyone get's super hyped and expects a release next month...Personally, and by experience in the software engineering industry, I don't expect any betas before EOCY 2019 or Q1 2020.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon May 20, 2019 2:28 pm

Some more difficult parts need to be done and we can release a public beta.
@normis: so in another words, the easier parts are done and now we are just couple of decades from release?
(nah, don't get offended. I really, really appreciate everything you do as long as you don't lie to us or keep silent about security)

@keyko: hold on mate! You don't have right to use this meme unless you are realy Aussie :lol:
(I would post a selfie with his cuddlish bear but mommy told me to not show myself over the internet)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 20, 2019 2:31 pm

This is the day we were looking for. If there are any memorable dates in the Mikrotikls history, don't forget to add this day to it.

Now the question is: When we will be able to install the first public version?

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon May 20, 2019 2:48 pm

This is the day we were looking for. If there are any memorable dates in the Mikrotikls history, don't forget to add this day to it.

Now the question is: When we will be able to install the first public version?
When it's released. :D

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 20, 2019 3:04 pm

p.s. Now, before everyone get's super hyped and expects a release next month...Personally, and by experience in the software engineering industry, I don't expect any betas before EOCY 2019 or Q1 2020.
I was at a MUM recently and they said we could expect "stable" RouterOS 7 release before the end of the year.
However, I should add that it was not mentioned WHICH year that was!

krisjanisj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 20, 2019 3:37 pm

I was at a MUM recently and they said we could expect "stable" RouterOS 7 release before the end of the year.
Already answered here!

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 20, 2019 4:39 pm

Lite to Lite. Please Normis tell us when mikrotik improve ros7. In the Internet world speed and ping is all

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 20, 2019 4:58 pm

Already answered here!
The problem is that this only mentions beta versions.
I do require more IPv6 functionality (like policy routing, hopefully also NAT66) somewhat urgently for a production environment, not really the place to run early beta versions.
Best would be when that appeared in v6 but as I understood, no more work is being done on IPv6 in RouterOS v6.

anthonws
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon May 20, 2019 5:00 pm

Already answered here!
Thanks for sharing that! Like I estimated. EOCY or Q1 2020.

Edit: A stable release should be in the schedule for Q3/Q4 2020.

krisjanisj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 20, 2019 5:12 pm

I do require more IPv6 functionality (like policy routing, hopefully also NAT66) somewhat urgently for a production environment, not really the place to run early beta versions.
Best would be when that appeared in v6 but as I understood, no more work is being done on IPv6 in RouterOS v6.
That is not true. Work on v6 development still continues while v7 is being developed.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 20, 2019 5:23 pm

That is not true. Work on v6 development still continues while v7 is being developed.
But not on IPv6 within v6, as far as I understood. IPv6 is (as a whole) apparently a lower priority than IPv4 within RouterOS.
There are long outstanding open requests to complete the functionality of IPv6 but they are either ignored, or answered with "this will be done in v7".
So it looks like we need to wait for v7 to get more complete IPv6 support.
(there are topics which describe what is wanted in this regard, but for me it comes down to being able to support more than one ISP link, each with their own /48 assignment, in a single router)

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:23 am

Any news about ROS v7 in hungary MUM?

Pénzi
just joined

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:18 pm

Any news about ROS v7 in hungary MUM?
Nothing

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:07 pm

We droped Mikrotik out of our Core, IPV6 is needed more Then Ever, we will obtain last avaible IPv4 address in the Next 3-4 Month, and Then we need to start CGN NAT

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:56 pm

Can you give some information on what kernel it will be using 4.x or 5.x?

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:10 am

Can you give some information on what kernel it will be using 4.x or 5.x?
4.xx

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:33 am

One could hope that after this experience MikroTik tries to limit the number of kernel patches and/or keeps an eye on kernel development and regularly updates the kernel patches so it becomes possible to change kernel revision in a minor v7 revision (e.g. 7.0.x to 7.1.x).
If not, it will not take long or everyone will be asking for RouterOS v8 because a newer kernel is required for the features they want.
(and this whole story repeats)

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:49 am

Today we have a New mum. I Hope any news about Ros v7 or any improvement in router

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:11 pm

Today we have a New mum. I Hope any news about Ros v7 or any improvement in router
I recently visited a MUM and there was no mention in the opening announcement, but the people at the MikroTik desk said "it will certainly be released before the end of the year".
They did not mention WHICH year.

krisjanisj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:15 pm

I recently visited a MUM and there was no mention in the opening announcement, but the people at the MikroTik desk said "it will certainly be released before the end of the year".
They did not mention WHICH year.
=================================================================================================================
As @Normis answered previously:
All I can say is that development of v7 has picked up in the last few months, more than ever. While I can't promise anything stable, it is pretty safe to say, that some kind of public test release (like beta for specific platforms) could be expected this year. The chances of that happening are now higher than ever before, when similar promises were made.

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:20 pm

This year @krisjanisj?

enzain
just joined

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:10 pm

This video fake or not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbfKplzda7I

And yes - we all waiting for v7 betas

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:34 am

It isnt a fake. It is real but we don't have beta...

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Please said us anything about rosv7 progress.

troybowman
just joined

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Are you implying that RFC6296 NAT66 and IPv6 policy routing is coming soon, then? It would be great to see it on some kind of product development roadmap!

enzain
just joined

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:00 pm

Are you implying that RFC6296 NAT66 and IPv6 policy routing is coming soon, then? It would be great to see it on some kind of product development roadmap!
I more need netmap66 - in IPv6 is more actually

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:06 pm

It isnt a fake. It is real but we don't have beta...
It's fake, even one of the Mikrotik support personnel joked about the video. Someone was using a custom program to jest with us all.

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:21 pm

Another security problem because mikrotik use old kernel....

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:52 pm

If you are talking about SACK panic, then all Linux version starting from 2.6.29 are affected.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:40 pm

from 2.6.29
old kernel....
=)

Sonnix
just joined

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:07 pm

If you are talking about SACK panic, then all Linux version starting from 2.6.29 are affected.
It was fixed in 5.1.11 and even that kernel can be considered old now. The current version is 5.1.15 right now.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:01 pm

Right ... 5.1.11 released 17 Jun 2019 ...

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:54 pm

Right ... 5.1.11 released 17 Jun 2019 ...
It's even not this month! Way too old!!!!111oneone

cmurrayis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:28 am

When? please an update - we are in so much pain with the existing 1072's and really don't want to replace them all if we don't need to!

Or at least open up a version of CHR for ISO install with Intel drivers...

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:05 pm

That problem is as old as the promise of the v7 @chupaka hahahaha. what a great joke!

whiteghost12
just joined

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:20 pm

When? please an update - we are in so much pain with the existing 1072's and really don't want to replace them all if we don't need to!

when it's 1072 with ROS 7 becomes useless. why do we need beta for some devices in the end of this year.... may be. Now mainline kernel 5.2 . The kernel in nonexistent ROS 7 is outdated yet now.time to ask when it comes router os 8 with 5.x.x kernel?

anthonws
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:11 pm

when it's 1072 with ROS 7 becomes useless. why do we need beta for some devices in the end of this year.... may be. Now mainline kernel 5.2 . The kernel in nonexistent ROS 7 is outdated yet now.time to ask when it comes router os 8 with 5.x.x kernel?
LOLOL! I'm not sure man kind will be around for a Router OS version 8 :P

leoktv
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:45 am

LOLOL! I'm not sure man kind will be around for a Router OS version 8 :P
It is not version 8 it is Buterfly version X

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:52 am

RouterOS v7 is almost there, just need to add some components...

photo_2019-07-17_11-51-35.jpg

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:02 pm

LOL

:mrgreen:

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Please remember to add Duke Nukem Forever

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:22 pm

RouterOS v7 is almost there, just need to add some components..
Can it run on rb411 or need a more powerful 4 core processor? :-)

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Will not run, you need one core per pixel.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:18 pm

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:58 pm

CCR1072 seems to be weak :-(

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:19 pm

But will it run Crysis?

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:48 pm

chupaka I hope the games, at least, work well hehehe

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:51 pm

Well, they will be re-implemented by MikroTik from scratch, so few tiny details could be different from what you're used to. Like all machine guns being single-shot only, and there will be no health packs. But other than that, fully compatible with originals.

;)

muetzekoeln
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

IPv6 ready?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:48 pm

Will ROS v7 sport a IPv6-Ready logo from the beginning?

https://www.ipv6ready.org

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPv6 ready?

Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Will ROS v7 sport a IPv6-Ready logo from the beginning?
ROS v7 is IPv6-Ready. Then it will become IPv6-Steady, and finally IPv6-Go!

arsalansiddiqui
just joined

Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:48 pm

Please add support for:
1) multiple router-board cluster like environment
2) a button to clear logs
3) in detail debugging report for pppoe and radius
4) child/parent queue via freeradius example: 1mb-1 is parent and user1mb-1 and user1mb-2 is child then 1mb-2 is parent and user1mb-3 and user1mb-4 is child
5) make dns more stable
6) remove limit on dns
7) do some optimization on cpu load

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:06 pm

Wrong topic, I believe. Feature requests are here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=81674

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:58 pm

Another one time... When chupaca... When can we use ROS v7?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Another one time... When chupaca... When can we use ROS v7?
We won't use ROS v7, ROS v7 will use us ...

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:46 pm

have you finished ros v7 games or are you working on nv3?

espacioint
just joined

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:53 am

The real cuestion is..
Are u working?
Because this is something with more than 5 years of history...and no news..
I have migrated my network to mikrotik from ubiquity and im not so sure about this desicion.
I undertand the politic of low prices.. but you are going to low quality too...
I have no ptp right now with mikrotik (I removed all).
Im in the same direction with ptmp.. if u don't do nothing to improve it.
Finnaly u are going to sale only CCRs.

With Mimosa with same prices u can get a link (ptp) 4 times faster that netmetal..

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:34 am

I have migrated my network to mikrotik from ubiquity and im not so sure about this desicion.
Mikrotik is unfortunately now the Netware of networking products. Your decision to switch to Mikrotik was a mistake, they'll seriously lagging behind in standards, features and are still running an old linux kernel.

cmurrayis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:59 am

Are we there yet?

espacioint
just joined

Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:01 pm

Mikrotik is unfortunately now the Netware of networking products. Your decision to switch to Mikrotik was a mistake, they'll seriously lagging behind in standards, features and are still running an old linux kernel.
Unfortunately you are right.. It was a mistake, There are many people here in spain removing mikrotik devices and switching to ubiquiti, it is sad because i like mikrotik but I fell as they dont worry about they clients...
Im really disappointed.
I waste a lot of money on mikrotik and they dont worry about us...

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:27 pm

Are we there yet?
Yes we Are, the Home-Brew Drivers they do, Are 50-70% behind real Performance in PTP and PtmP, new Features, not Seen , real issue with every new chipset (arm Nv2 issue for more than 12 Month), 4011 Turms of 5ghz, don’t work with more than 80 mhz, mu-Mimo (we possible See This when competiors have 802.11ax on market)

This Mikrotik Wireless, a dead-end

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:33 pm

Are we there yet?
Yes we Are, the Home-Brew Drivers they do, Are 50-70% behind real Performance in PTP and PtmP, new Features, not Seen , real issue with every new chipset (arm Nv2 issue for more than 12 Month), 4011 Turms of 5ghz, don’t work with more than 80 mhz, mu-Mimo (we possible See This when competiors have 802.11ax on market)

-
MikroTik actually released the updated 802.11ac drivers (without a fix for the 4011, though):
-
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145047&p=741741&hilit=wave#p741741
What is the current status of wave 2 features in Mikrotik wireless drivers?
Most of the features are implemented, but MU-MIMO is WIP
-
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145047&p=741741&hilit=wave#p742097
which featues are missing now? we already released the driver update in last betas.
160MHz works, like Reinis said, only MU-MIMO is not implemented as the only remaining Wave2 feature.
-
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=149910#p741302
Version 6.46beta16 has been released.
*) wireless - improved 802.11ac stability for all ARM devices with wireless;
*) wireless - improved U-APSD (WMM Power Save) support for 802.11e;

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:54 pm

Are we there yet?

Oh but competitors (in the same price segment) have their problems as well... Fast roaming not working right, multicast filtering an all-or-nothing selection only, unusable "optimization" features that lock out a percentage of devices due to incompatibility, etc.

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:48 pm

don't worry that ros7 will solve it. It will also end hunger in the world.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:04 pm

And here Comes 802.11ax embedded boards like Mikrotik Rb.....

https://compex.com.sg/shop/embedded-board/wpq872/

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:28 am

Are we there yet?

Oh but competitors (in the same price segment) have their problems as well... Fast roaming not working right, multicast filtering an all-or-nothing selection only, unusable "optimization" features that lock out a percentage of devices due to incompatibility, etc.
shure, but other vendors have a way in the right direction, there HQ and LQ Products everything for the right Place
But we have no time to wait for Future releases to come up to competitors speed, and they are near to release next hardware step
and then the next MikroTik Driver disaster comes.
We have only a hand full p2P MikroTik links left, and if something not working probably, i don´t care anymore, we
just exchange the link with something other and double or tripple the speed.
We are lucky and used much of RF-Elements Dishes, so it is really easy to exchange hardware.

And take a look at this more then 12 month old post:

Wave 1 Missings:
- Output Power Managment
- Spectral Scan
- Channel sizes

Wave 2 Missings:
- no wave 2 features available

What’s about 802.11k, 802.11r and 802.11v, we need that in the EU for every Wireless Network in
Government Places / Meeting Rooms etc
There is so much missing.....
At this Moment MikroTik has only one future, selling low cost in mass to world regions, where this features are enough.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:10 pm

Forget v7.

v8 Needs to be rounded on. Use off the shelf drivers, get it out there, give the people what they want.

(I'll stick to my v6 though as it does almost everything I need).

NetWorker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:37 am

Koala Pic
ROFL Keyko, you made my day.

To be honest I too have been waiting on a few v7 features but have more or less accepted the "it'll be ready when it's ready" by just looking at the chagelogs and the sticky's. Today I decided to check out the forums to see if there's a hint of release date. But I was *shocked* by the name calling, folks saying they need this and that and Mikrotik is irresponsable and they should do this and that. W T F guys!?!?!?!?!? You say "mikrotik couldn't be less transparent" yet they not only have this forum, normis has to take all kinds of crap from you and responds the best way he can a least once a page. Do you guys do this too with Volkswagen or with your government? Do you write to the president too about everything that's wrong in the world? How did that work out? He replied right away didn't he?

I find Mikrotik has grown a lot over these past 5 years and while many of you question their management decisions, I still think they've been doing well for themselves. Though I agree with @nz_monkey with his "hero car" post that RouterOS is what it's all built on and taking into account that the CCR is, well, at the core of their and our business can't be neglected.

Speaking of which, I understand that many of you have to project infrastructure and future hardware acquisitions but the simple fact of life is that you buy gear that covers your needs, not gear that MAY work in the future nor buy a 299 piece of gear and then ask the manufacturer to make it work someway you want it to.

Regarding Mikrotik wireless gear, we have never bought any (not in qunatity anyway) because we always found the competition to be superior. Always tested before placing big orders, never chose brand over functionality.

Finally, a word on marketing. I've seen many of you bring up Apple. I find the marketing strategy of Apple to be made by experts... for idiots. They build up hype, they launch products on a stage in front of hundreds of crazed fanatics and then charge a fortune for a product that's the definition of programmed obsolescence. RouterOS v7 works for me. It comes after 6. Yes it's been 5 years in the making but so have other thousands of products. And the difference with those that did indeed need a name change is that this one is designed for IT pros. We work with numbers every day and can handle something called v7.12.rc7 instead of "Vista", "2019" or "skip two numbers because we need to emphasize how much different it is from the one before".

My opinion of course.

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:48 am

I find Mikrotik has grown a lot over these past 5 years and while many of you question their management decisions, I still think they've been doing well for themselves. Though I agree with @nz_monkey with his "hero car" post that RouterOS is what it's all built on and taking into account that the CCR is, well, at the core of their and our business can't be neglected.
Thanks, I needed a laugh. If you shilled any harder I would've fell on to the floor laughing.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:57 am

"Are we working?", well, not much else I can give you, maybe this gives some hope
Screenshot 2019-08-22 at 07.56.29.png
Also, this video is real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbfKplzda7I

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:13 am

Good to see that the video posted is real.

In the video its mention beta99 3 Apr 2019
Your post shows alpha220 14 Aug 2019
Maybe you are going backwards :)

We are waiting and looking forward to testing this new version :mrgreen:

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:27 am

In the video, a special build was used, with a fake version name. This build was made for a MUM special event.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:33 am

Maybe you are going backwards :)

Seems like that indeed :wink:

I certainly hope that folders from @Normis' screenshot are created in advance and that 7.0alpha219 was empty at the time ... which would mean that there are 219 alpha releases to go before we get some public RC :mrgreen:

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:50 pm

ros v7 brings improvements in wireless?

NetWorker
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:46 pm

Thanks, I needed a laugh. If you shilled any harder I would've fell on to the floor laughing.
Hey, I'm all for smiles and grins but after looking up shill in the dictionary I can honestly say that that wasn't the intention of my post. Yes, I posted in a "take it or leave it" sorta way but not for their sake; for ours. Mikrotik routers sit at the core of our network but we are not in the ISP businness and we're still on 100% IPv4 so we don't have a major grief like you guys do with BGP, etc. We'd be looking elsewhere if it ever came to that, instead of buying CCRs and then whining in a forum. As we did with our wireless gear and switches (none are Mikrotik).

My way of telling people that I don't like their crap is I don't buy it. Ok, I'm not perfect, we did buy stuff and have been disappointed at some point but we have *never* bought anything in bulk, for a mission it couldn't fulfill. Period.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:49 am

I don't speak Russian but I take it that the beta is now available? mt.lv/v7 ?

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:06 am

Yes, only for ARM architecture and only for hap ac^2 and WAPGR LTE/4G/LTE-US testing, to get v7 ready for upcoming 5G products, according to Sergejs. support for remaining boards will gradually come out

it has v6.45.5 feature set and main change is new Linux Kernel atm, feature will gradually come out in time. First they need help with stability testing on those boards

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:08 am

Yes, only for ARM architecture and only for hap ac^2 and WAPGR LTE/4G/LTE-US testing, to get v7 ready for upcoming 5G products, according to Sergejs. support for remaining boards will gradually come out

it has v6.45.5 feature set and main change is new Linux Kernel atm, feature will gradually come out in time. First they need help with stability testing on those boards
Thank you for the info. Well played MikroTik. There I was a few posts up saying it'll be v8 that gets released!

blimbach
just joined

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:22 am

Hmmm, I just installed it on my cAP AC and it works as expected as cAP.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:38 am

b1 works on rb4011.

alibloke
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:11 pm

4 years 7 months 20.69 days from opening this thread to an answer.

reks2004
just joined

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:44 pm

Any info about V7 on Tile? (CCR)

krisjanisj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:47 pm

No current ETA can be given but won't be years...

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:26 pm

Ros v7 is release!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:54 pm

:lol:

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:55 pm

Ros v7 is release!

No, it's not. ROS v7beta is in public testing ...

genesispro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:02 pm

anyone installed it on a 4011 yet?

blingblouw

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:06 pm

Yup. Got 1 kernel panic so definitely would run this in lab only

genesispro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:53 pm

and you flashed it back to 6.x?

brimfulnick
just joined

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:56 pm

Hmmm, I just installed it on my cAP AC and it works as expected as cAP.
I tried this on a cAPAC which is connecting to a CCR as the manager, but get this on the capac
caps,info CAP connect to ccr1 (::ffff:10.0.0.254:5246) failed: ssl: fatal alert received (6) 
caps,info CAP failed to join ccr1 (::ffff:10.0.0.254:5246)
and this on the CCR
caps,debug ::ffff:10.0.0.4:40338 failed to connect, handshake failed: error 140890e9 (6)
This wasn't a device that this was meant to work on, so i guess we just have to wait for other releases

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:07 pm

and you flashed it back to 6.x?
Yes it runs about 30s so upload and Downgrade works....

Alane
just joined

Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:23 am

Running on a 3011 now stable so far get a lot of these though
"error - contact MikroTik support and send a supout file (2)"

Railander
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:27 am

Very happy to see v7 finally coming together.

What's the kernel version?

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:26 am

Did you read this thread?
viewtopic.php?p=748889

MichalP
just joined

Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:27 pm

Anybody know what about "ip route cache" in routeros-7.0 beta1 ?
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=78107

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:26 pm

The IP route cache is gone in the newer Linux kernel. It would be surprising when that problem is still present.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:32 am

Is MBIM support in the v7 beta? e.g. all the LTE modems that say "v7"

DummyPLUG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:49 pm

decades?

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:12 am

IMG_20190910_001102_513.jpg

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:37 am

Really Chupaka? We are isp. Our work not is a joke ...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:13 am

If you are an ISP, please forget about v7 for one more year. It will be in beta for a long time still