Community discussions

tom8823
just joined
Topic Author

Upgrade Mikrotik 3.30 to 6.2?

Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:31 am

Hi, we have old X86 Mikrotik 3.30

We just bought Routerboard 2011 with 6.2 firmware. We have many things configured on our x86 3.30 so we want to export this configuration but I guess many things changed over the years because I can't import those new settings to new device. I get many errors like "something on line 54, expected something" etc. Our license on x86 3.30 allows me only to upgrade to 4.x version

So my question is: Is there any automated way to transfer my settings from old device to new or do I have to make everything on new device from scratch?

Thanks

shahbazian
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Upgrade Mikrotik 3.30 to 6.2?

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi Tom,

You can get export from configurations and edit that with text editors applications, and after that import in new router.
OR
At first upgrade the router and then get export.

For upgrade the router your version upgrade is limited by "/system license" upgradable-to field.
If your license level is 3 or 4 you can upgrade to one upper level, So you should at first upgrade to v4.x then upgrade to version 5.x after that upgrade to RouterOS v6.x
Learn MikroTik to improve your network.
( MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE, MTCUME, MTCIPv6E, MTCINE )
MikroTik Certified Trainer & Consultant
RIPE NCC Trainer

tom8823
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:26 pm

Hi Tom,

You can get export from configurations and edit that with text editors applications, and after that import in new router.
OR
At first upgrade the router and then get export.

For upgrade the router your version upgrade is limited by "/system license" upgradable-to field.
If your license level is 3 or 4 you can upgrade to one upper level, So you should at first upgrade to v4.x then upgrade to version 5.x after that upgrade to RouterOS v6.x
Ok my license lets me upgrade to 4.x only.

Our x86 3.30 Mikrotik has some problems, it restarts everyday and sometimes hangs. I know its mainboard issue so I don't want to risk upgrading it.

So I would like to do something like this: Install 3.30 on another PC. Export configuration from old PC to new. Then on new PC with DEMO license I would like to upgrade to 4.x then to 5.x and then to 6.x

Question is: Would DEMO license let me upgrade from 3.3 to 4 then to 5 then to 6?

EDIT: I now looked that demo license won't let me upgrade. I don't want to buy new license on old device as its corrupted and as soon as I export config to new Routerboard I will disable it.

Is there any other method?

I already tried editing config with notepad but it's just too much to edit and even after I got rid of all errors it still wasn't working properly. There were problems with VLANS etc.

Please tell me automatic way to upgrade config from 3.30 to 6.x

shahbazian
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:32 pm

You can not upgrade in demo license, This is the license limitation.
You should upgrade version by version. You can get backup before upgrade to hang or crash prevention.
Learn MikroTik to improve your network.
( MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE, MTCUME, MTCIPv6E, MTCINE )
MikroTik Certified Trainer & Consultant
RIPE NCC Trainer

tom8823
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:21 pm

You should upgrade version by version. You can get backup before upgrade to hang or crash prevention.
So I need to buy license for my useless device to upgrade to something bigger that 4.x even though I already own new Routerboard with license 6.x?

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:45 pm

So I need to buy license for my useless device to upgrade to something bigger that 4.x even though I already own new Routerboard with license 6.x?

No, upgrade to 4.x, then you can upgrade to 5.x then you should be able to upgrade to 6.x. Mikrotik currently does not enforce the license limitation. You might just need to work around it by going up one major revision at a time.

tom8823
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:52 pm

Wait, in my System/license I have license level 4 and "upgradable to 4.x"

How come you say that when I upgrade to 4.x I will be able to upgrade to 5.x?

Level 4 lets you only upgrade to +1 version.

soulflyhigh
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:12 pm

No, upgrade to 4.x, then you can upgrade to 5.x then you should be able to upgrade to 6.x. Mikrotik currently does not enforce the license limitation. You might just need to work around it by going up one major revision at a time.
This is 100% true on Routerboard platform, not sure for x86, but one can try it.
MTCRE, MTCTCE

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:42 am

You need to be connected to Internet. Then press update license button 2 or more times to get the version unlimited license. Then you can install whatever version normally.

tinashe
just joined

Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:48 am

make sure you ether ports name tally with the new board,or rename them first the way they appeared on your x86