Community discussions

MikroTik App

spitzofren
just joined
Topic Author

Issue with ether1-gateway interface

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:24 pm

Hi I'm new here!

I recently purchased a Mikrotik Rb2011il-In and I'm having some issues with it, all main features are working fine and I really love it.

However every day or so the ether1-gateway interface goes down and shows "no cable". It's connected directly to my ISP's media converter, and when I connect it to a PC it works fine. Unplugging and replugging the cable or restarting the media converter does absolutely nothing. one or sometimes several router restarts are required. Has anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening?

davidcb
just joined

Re: Issue with ether1-gateway interface

Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:03 pm

Step 1 - replace the ethernet cable between the media converter and your MikroTik. If this solves things, great.
Step 2 - Log into your MikroTik and set the link speed on your ether1-gateway to 100Mbps/Full duplex with no-autonegotiation. Here is a command to do that:
/int ether set ether1-gateway auto-negotiation=no full-duplex=yes speed=100Mbps
Make sure it links up reliably to the media converter after the change. Watch it for a while and see if that gives a reliable link.

Hopefully, that will be enough to fix your problem.

rmmccann
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:20 am

I've heard about people having issues with port speed/duplex auto negotiation on some types of equipment when connected to a mikrotik router. Most of the time, the solution is either to hard code the speed and duplex settings (disable autonegotiation), or put a "dumb switch" type of device between the two that are having trouble (a plain old unmanaged switch would work).

I would talk to your ISP and see if they can set the port speed and duplex on your media converter and then do the same thing to ether1 on the MT and see if that helps. Otherwise, throw a switch or something in-between and see if it clears things up.

spitzofren
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:14 pm

Set auto negotition to off with 100mb and 1gbps with txflow off/on/auto and with auto negotiation on. Makes no difference at all, also changed network cable twice. And as I said it is working when I plug it in to a PC. Hardware issue with interface 1 maybe? Link shows active in other interfaces. Is it possible to configure another interface as a gateway?

rmmccann
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Set auto negotition to off with 100mb and 1gbps with txflow off/on/auto and with auto negotiation on. Makes no difference at all, also changed network cable twice. And as I said it is working when I plug it in to a PC. Hardware issue with interface 1 maybe? Link shows active in other interfaces. Is it possible to configure another interface as a gateway?
Did you try putting a simple switch in between? If it still won't link properly that would completely rule out autonegotiation (you need to disable it on BOTH ends of the cable, not just the routerboard). I had to do this on an extremely long cable run (400+ ft) between a routerboard and a ubiquiti wireless device. I could not establish a 10mb link until it was forced on both the router and the ubiquiti device.

Also, yes you can certainly set another port as your gateway port. You just need to go into the interface settings and make sure the master-port is set to "none" - that will remove it from the switch group and allow it to be managed separately.

spitzofren
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:17 pm

Tried with a switch between, same result guessing interface1 is broken :(

maos76
just joined

Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi.

I am having the same problem with ether1-gateway. Imtried different cables bit no luck. There is no link. I tried to connect a switch and chante auto-negotiation bit it id not working. Anything el se to try??

Thanks un advanced.