Community discussions

MikroTik App

xenon
just joined
Topic Author

pppoe-out1: terminating... - failed to authenticate ourselves to peer

Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:50 pm

Dear MikroTik community,

I encountered a problem with our Routerboard 1100AHx2. The Log file tells me that that the PPPoE is no longer able to authenticate to peer:
"pppoe-out1: terminating... - failed to authenticate ourselves to peer"
Nothing changed in the configurations or IT infrastructure. The problem appeared over night. I first used the RouterOS v5.14. Suggestions proposed in older posts suggested to upgrade to the newest version of RouterOS. Now I use RouterOS v.6.27 instead of RouterOS v5.14 but PPPoE is still not able to connect. The ISP told me everything should be alright with the connection. Do you have any suggestions how to solve this problem?

Thank you very much and best regards
Robert

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: pppoe-out1: terminating... - failed to authenticate ourselves to peer

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:41 pm

This error is self-explained "failed to authenticate ourselves to peer".
Either username/password on PPPoE client does not match username/password on PPPoE server, or encryption settings do not match on both sides.

xenon
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:38 am

Problem solved. There was the concatenation of two events which lead to that problem.

Problems:
1. The ISP had some issues with their PPPoE Server.
2. Without knowing that the ISP has some issues with their PPPoE Server I thought changing the PPPoE Client Passwort would help solving the problem. Stupidly I forgot to disconnect the Routerboard completely from the LAN and the Modem. What happened is that before I was able to change the Password in the Routerboard the Routerboard tried to connect more than 10 times to authenticate at the ISP with the old password. Subsequently the ISP blocked the PPPoE Client for 24 hours. After calling the ISP hotline two times somebody finally realized that our PPPoE Client was blocked and deblocked it manually.

Learning:
1. Make sure to disconnect your Routerboard before changing your PPPoE credentials.
2. The error log message "failed to authenticate ourselves to peer" also could mean that your ISP blocked you because of trying to log in more than 10 times with wrong credentials.

keema
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:33 pm

Are you using pppoe over eoip in 6.27?