Community discussions

MikroTik App

solelunauno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

SMB share as network video recording share

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:15 pm

I tried to use mikrotik smb share as a NAS to be pointed by a security camera to record on.
The cameras I tried with are Hikvision ones.
I tried several times, in more than one year, with al RouterOS new firmwares in when changelog reported some improvement to smb, with no luck, ever with new 6.27.
I'm able to reach and use RB750UP's share from windows xp and 7, copying files and reading them well at about 30-40mbps, so all seems ok.
The camera can use and record without problems on a windows smb conventional share, and also on a linux debian samba share.
But when I try to make camera use (and format) mikrotik's share, it fails and in RB750UP logs I see lots of "connection from ip address" and "closing connection with ip address" lines.
How can I search for this issue?
Thanks

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:47 pm

This is not the purpose for what smb on mikrotik devices is intended. It clearly doesn't have performance to be used as nas server.

solelunauno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: SMB share as network video recording share

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:11 am

Ok, jarda, I understand this. But I'm not speaking about performance. I refer to those lots of "connection from ip address" and "closing connection with ip address" lines, generated during the acquisition of mikrotik share by the camera.
I even can't record with camera @ 1mbps, because of those continuous connections ad disconnections.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:40 am

This is exactly the performance issue. Just try how fast you can upload and download a file from pc and see in profile what it does with cpu of rb750.

solelunauno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: SMB share as network video recording share

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:46 am

I wrote it. I can upload and download @ about 20-30mbps and rb750up cpu doesn't reach 100% anymore with last firmware update (before it did). It will be very usefull to use an rb750up on every security camera network connected (wireless) and battery backup provided, to record even locally. Infact rb750up can be used @ every voltage between 8 to 27v and even monitor battery healt, and it's also able to supply stabilized 5V to a little 2,5" hard disk.
But, as it can't be accepted by camera, it can't be used this way.