complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Loosing rip;ospf,BGP with 2.10

Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:13 pm

I hope this is a joke.

I can live with 2.10 and without BGP!
I can't live without OSPF and 2.10 cause MTOS is then useless for us.

Explain why it is necessary to reduce the existing features???

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:01 pm

To me I would rather pay them an extra $100 in 2.10 so that they dedicate some resources to actually fix BGP / OSPF, otherwise they might as well remove it all together.

Sam

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:44 am

As far as I know - RouterOS 2.10 only will have new kernel version.

And what was the point to develope new routing-test package on the down of 2.9??????? (Only point that i can see is to use it in 2.10)

I think the advanced routing was, is and will be in RouterOS!!! Maybe you will need a specific license level for it.

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:32 pm

Yes! That was the reason for my post. You will need then level 5 for routing generally (thats the information on the MT site).

Every stupid taiwan box is able to do RIP! Level 4 seems to come without any routing protocol. What should I do with all the level 4 licenses? Upgrade? (best case for mikrotik-worst case for me) Let them the next years on the last version of 2.9? (worst case for mikrotik-best case for me).

We are planing to migrate more than 500 customers from copper based DSL to 802.11a-WLAN. The license cost is one financial issue.

John, Normis, Uldis or someone else of MT. Please tell me. What will the cost for upgrading to 2.10 L5?

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:14 pm

If you upgraded to L5 now (from l3 or l4) using the account manager what would the price show? This gives you 3 years worth of upgrades, which should include 2.10. Not sure if this price will change in the future though.

L4 and L5 are the same, except for upgrade period right?

Sam

Hammy
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:03 pm

Not any more. Same upgrade time, different feature sets.

HarvSki

Re: Loosing rip;ospf,BGP with 2.10

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:52 pm

I hope this is a joke.

I can live with 2.10 and without BGP!
I can't live without OSPF and 2.10 cause MTOS is then useless for us.

Explain why it is necessary to reduce the existing features???
Agreed!

Come on MT give us some input, justify your proposed actions!!!

Hammy
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:12 pm

Not that I'm saying its a bad thing, but they probably realized that they need to have a much larger development and QA team, so they need to get the extra money from somewhere.

HarvSki

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:20 pm

I can understand that MT must run a sustainable a profitable company - I don't want freebies. I'm currently using OSPF on 6 routers without any problems though. So for me it works, but I've not really messed with the default config much.

Eugene
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:25 pm

Now 3.0 (2.10) is in early beta stage. We will clarify our policy on this topic closer to the release date.

Eugene

HarvSki

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:44 pm

Thanks Eugene - I was getting in a bit of a panic that ROS was suddenly going to get too expensive. I will wait and see now.

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:14 pm

I understand them wishing to bump users to a high cost license, of course, this is most likely due to the incrased cost in delivering a high quality routing package, with all of the feature sets of OSPF and BGP.

HOwever, I do feel that I should poitn out that RIP is offered even in linksys routers, etc. Now I know there is no compairison, however, I do feel that RIP should be left in even on the basic versions, but can see a SMALL increased cost for the OSPF and BGP packages.

I would suggest that MT makes "upgrades" from level 4 to leve 5 within a specific time frame to be "inexpensive" to those of us who use OSPF and BGP already with Level 4 licenses. I do understand though, a NEW license would be at the higher cost.

Simply give the 2.9.x existing licensed users a cheap, easy way to move to 5 and get the same functionallity as they had with 2.9 and everyone will be happy.

Dennis

butche
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Thanks Eugene - I was getting in a bit of a panic that ROS was suddenly going to get too expensive. I will wait and see now.
Too expensive? You MUST be joking! A brand new license for level 5 is only $95! If this is "too expensive", then you are doing something wrong in your business plan.

HarvSki

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:37 am

erm, Butch with all due respect $95 is more than twice the current price of the licence I use for the most part at the moment, that is quite an increase.

I just think that a router should be able to run some routing protocols, don't you?

Anyway as Eugene said all will be explained closer to the launch and I'm now confident MikroTik will make it all quite fair as they always have thus enabling even not-for-profit enterprises like ours still afford their excellent software.

Kind Regards

Harvey

http://www.stourvalleywireless.org.uk - community networking

BelWave
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:16 am

erm, Butch with all due respect $95 is more than twice the current price of the licence I use for the most part at the moment, that is quite an increase.

I just think that a router should be able to run some routing protocols, don't you?

Anyway as Eugene said all will be explained closer to the launch and I'm now confident MikroTik will make it all quite fair as they always have thus enabling even not-for-profit enterprises like ours still afford their excellent software.

Kind Regards

Harvey

http://www.stourvalleywireless.org.uk - community networking
Agreed, the price increase as a percentage is rather large. However, given the current MikrotTik OSPF and BGP modules really don't work well or in some cases work at all...what are we really giving up here?

I would gladly pay a premium license fee for a "Cisco" stable OSPF and BGP module. Maybe that's what MikroTik is finally going to do. Rather than trying to re-invent the OSPF/BGP wheel they are going to purchase a proven stable solution. I'm all for it as long as the BGP module WORKS!

Best,

Brad

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:41 am

Thats what I am saying, keep the RIP, if you need a 100% stable replacement for Cisco in OSPF and BGP, then ya, its a upgrade. But make sure you give the existing customers who have this, a better license upgrade price.

butche
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:49 am

Yes it is. However, my point is not really about the ratio of the price of a level 4 vs level 5. What I am saying is that if a $50 increase in the price of the software is too much to handle, then there is a problem beyond MT's pricing model.
And MT's software will be able to run "some routing protocols". In order to get them, it will require a level 5 license.
Anyway as Eugene said all will be explained closer to the launch and I'm now confident MikroTik will make it all quite fair as they always have
I can't argue with this. I will explain part of why I think this is almost a "non-issue". MT posted this announcement on their website in August of 2006. Also, the license levels and the capabilities of each level was posted here: http://www.mikrotik.com/software.php before that. The fact is, that there WAS warning in plenty of time for people to purchase the appropriate license for their network. I don't remember the date, but even if it was as late as June of 2006 (and I believe it was before that), you only lose a very small amount of time for the upgrade.

Let me explain. Let's say you purchased a license on June 1 of 2006. That license would expire (level 4) on June 30, 2007, in terms of upgradability. Mikrotik's new license policy changed such that you can now continue to upgrade that router at no extra cost until 3.1 is released. SO, they extended upgradability for that license by many months. NOW, they have stated that some functions will not be available in 2.10 (3.0) and documented that well before the license change happened in August (see here: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=10226). Either way, if 3.0 is released in January, then you will be 6 months without being able to upgrade to the latest release (to not lose OSPF). I don't look for this release before February or March anyway, so you are down to 3-4 months. Perhaps that is not really fair, but the information was available early enough that IMHO, you are not losing much anyway.
thus enabling even not-for-profit enterprises like ours still afford their excellent software.
I think it is still affordable. $95 is VERY cheap for what you get with MT.

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:21 am

Now 3.0 (2.10) is in early beta stage. We will clarify our policy on this topic closer to the release date.

Eugene
-----
Hello men

ofcourse, we don't know about the released date [v3.x] or [v4.x] or [v5.x] or [v10.x].... :wink: excusme can you add table list 'upgrade-level' detail prices included on mikrotikDOTcom e.g: 3--->4, 4--->5, 5--->6, 4--->6 etc..
in my Mikrotik local country we has like that, i think very clear, when mikrotik online information [website] available.

regards
Hasbullah.com - Balimore.com
-----------------------------------

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:00 am

The new licensing policy does not include the concept to upgrade from one level to another anymore. You just have to purchase the new level, i.e. if you are on L4 and need L5, you just have to purchase L5 for the full price.

That is (at least) in the Wiki (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/All_about ... ense_Level)...

Best regards,
Christian Meis

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:27 am

The new licensing policy does not include the concept to upgrade from one level to another anymore. You just have to purchase the new level, i.e. if you are on L4 and need L5, you just have to purchase L5 for the full price.

That is (at least) in the Wiki (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/All_about ... ense_Level)...

Best regards,
Christian Meis
------
Thanks cmit,,, for your reply..

yes, i did read that link last time ago and understood. but, why is diffrence methode in latvia and our local policy.
i think mikrotik latvia is centre of all mikrotik system's for mikrotik's poeple, isn't it...?

why am i ask and input in this forum...?, of course, i bought direct from latvia by dhl for all RBs and softwares.

aagain, thanks for reply
special comment: we are so sorry to 'Mikrotik Indonesia'

regards
Hasbullah.com
------

polokus

Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:08 am

------

yes, i did read that link last time ago and understood. but, why is diffrence methode in latvia and our local policy.
i think mikrotik latvia is centre of all mikrotik system's for mikrotik's poeple, isn't it...?

why am i ask and input in this forum...?, of course, i bought direct from latvia by dhl for all RBs and softwares.

aagain, thanks for reply

regards
Hasbullah.com
------
i think it's cheaper to buy from local distributor :) for the support and RMA

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:23 am

------

aagain, thanks for reply

regards
Hasbullah.com
------
i think it's cheaper to buy from local distributor :) for the support and RMA
-----
Hi polo...

so sorry i didn't speak about prices and i understood that RMA.. i think why 'difference methode'., our princip when it make to easy and more benifite tools for our job, why not to buy....of course :lol:

regards
Hasbullah.com - Balimore.com
-----

ldvaden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:30 am

I think it is still affordable. $95 is VERY cheap for what you get with MT.
Agreed (still cheaper than M$ or Ci$co, but then you don't get as many exploitable features either :).

As a point of clarification, if a machine (say a RIC/522) displays upgradeable to v3.x when you WinBox/System/License does that hold or do the changes in the terms and conditions prevail?

[Word has it Tully is from Memphis, so I'm wondering how much vinegar is in the BBQ sauce - just seasoned to taste or overdone.]

rgds/ldv

butche
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:39 am

As a point of clarification, if a machine (say a RIC/522) displays upgradeable to v3.x when you WinBox/System/License does that hold or do the changes in the terms and conditions prevail?
Well, you can upgrade it to the 3.x when it comes out, but if it is a Level 4 license, you will lose the dynamic routing ability. That is unless MT decides to "grandfather" at least a few of the licenses or put it back in level 4.

ldvaden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:08 am

Well, you can upgrade it to the 3.x when it comes out, but if it is a Level 4 license, you will lose the dynamic routing ability. That is unless MT decides to "grandfather" at least a few of the licenses or put it back in level 4.
So, it ispossible that if you buy the Level 5 licenses at the appropriate times to upgrade your extant licenses, then you could stay under essentially perpetual factory support for the time period covered by your license expirations, correct? This is something MikroTik to date has refused to offer on an ongoing basis.

rgds/ldv

butche
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:26 am

So, it ispossible that if you buy the Level 5 licenses at the appropriate times to upgrade your extant licenses, then you could stay under essentially perpetual factory support for the time period covered by your license expirations, correct? This is something MikroTik to date has refused to offer on an ongoing basis.
Either I am missing the point of the first question, or this one. As for support, that is limited to a certain period anyway, as stated here:http://www.mikrotik.com/software.php.

ldvaden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:51 pm

Either I am missing the point of the first question, or this one. As for support, that is limited to a certain period anyway, as stated here:http://www.mikrotik.com/software.php.
To be more specfic, if the ladder of your original install dates were more or less in 30 day steps, it seems you could achieve essentially perpetual support from MikroTik for the period covred by the ladder by circumventing the distribution chain and buying the new licenses directly from MikroTik. One would do that because the USA distributors seldom return support emails or calls.

I wonder about the calculus ...

rgds/ldv