Community discussions

MikroTik App

sscheen
Topic Author

PPPoE server placement and TX Limit

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:40 pm

Hello.
Im working with a WISP setup.
What is best practise for PPPoE server placement.
And is there a way to limit client TX-limit before the edge router, without setting it in the access-list of the AP.

Im using MPLS/VPLS from the AP to the edge router.
Is it better to have the PPPoE server on the APs close to the clients?
wisp setup1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sscheen
Topic Author

Re: PPPoE server placement and TX Limit

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:04 am

Anyone? ;)

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:19 pm

Anyone? ;)

I think the best place for the pppoe server is centrally-located.
You could even put in a redundant pair at the central site for more reliability.

Furthermore, I would use layer 3 in your backhaul topology. It's going to be more scalable and flexible for you to roll out a layer 3 topology with dynamic routing. VPLS will give you the "bridge to anywhere you want" ability, so there's no need to bridge across a bridge. That just invites trouble. MPLS is designed to ride on top of an intelligent layer 3 topology, so use that to your advantage.

You can add extra point-to-point shots directly between remote towers for extra redundancy, and ospf/MPLS will use them as backup routes automatically. (suppose you want to add a link from the 1:105 / 1:106 site back to the main site directly - this is easy with OSPF and much faster to reconverge in case of failure than STP would be.)

So now the APs, aggregation routers (in stead of L2 switches), and central MT router make a dynamic topology. Use VPLS between the APs and central router (as the diagram shows), and then apply the PPPoE server to the VPLS bridge at the main site. This is where you put TX limit on the user profiles. It's clean, easily managed by profiles, and limits the bandwidth before it crosses your backhaul infrastructure.

EDIT: I was thinking TX downstream (sorry, to me, every interface is relative to the local router). For what you're asking, I would put TX limit in each CPE SXT and set it to the largest upstream bandwidth class that you sell. This will keep users from running away with upstream bandwidth before it crosses your backhaul only to get dropped at PPPoE server.

sscheen
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:13 pm

Thank you for your help ;)
I will look into a fully routed L3 setup with OSPF. I guess it give more options in the future.

sssantox
just joined

Fri May 01, 2015 1:21 pm

but with centralised pppoe router, there are some client limit?
how many client do you connect in a single server?