Address:  1.0.0.1

> some.host.name
Server:  MikroTik
Address:  1.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    some.host.name
Address:  10.0.0.9

>
It keeps giving me local IP address which I set before in MikroTik's Static DNS.

But the host name is actually a public IP.

I've checked 'ip dns static print', I'm sure the local IP is not listed there.

Any idea where the local IP came from?

It's not on the public named either.
Last edited by yacsap on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[ IMikroTik ] >

yacsap
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: DNS Issue

Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:09 am

*bump*
[ IMikroTik ] >

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:05 pm

All I can say for sure with the information given is that the reply came from a cache or a recursive query because the answer was non-authoritative. I would suspect that your localy-configured address would generate an authoritative response....

Perhaps the host the Mikrotik is configured to use for DNS resolver has the wrong information cached as well?

Do you get the same result when querying via other DNS servers?
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Non-authoritative answer is correct, static addresses in ROS DNS are simple overrides, setting them does not turn router into authoritative server for them.

Check the resolvers configured in router and ask them all directly (dig, nslookup) for that record. If at least one of them gives you the wrong address too, then the problem is elsewhere. If not, then perhaps something is stuck in RouterOS. Restart might help in that case.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply. Not intended as incentive for masochists.

yacsap
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:59 pm

[yacsap@RB] > ping some.domain.name
  SEQ HOST                                     SIZE TTL TIME  STATUS           
    0 202.159.xx.xx                               56  47 318ms
    1 202.159.xx.xx                               56  47 317ms
    sent=2 received=2 packet-loss=0% min-rtt=317ms avg-rtt=317ms 
   max-rtt=318ms 

[yacsap@RB] > 
When I ping from the RB, it returns me the 'real IP'.

But if I do nslookup from computer that behind this RB, it still gives me the local IP which I configured as static DNS previously in this RB.

At the time I created this thread, I've already removed the local IP from the config and do flush DNS, so it should ask from the internet DNS which is I configured 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in my RB.
[ IMikroTik ] >

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:46 pm

At the time I created this thread, I've already removed the local IP from the config and do flush DNS, so it should ask from the internet DNS which is I configured 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in my RB.
It's either the Mikrotik itself or else the Mikrotik is redirecting port 53 to a device that is also giving that same address.
(or option 3, the host has the wrong info in hosts file, but nslookup does not use the local resolver, so this isn't likely)

A packet capture might be required to get to the bottom of this if following the trail through iptables and IP > DNS > Static is not leading to the answer.
When given a spoon,
The soup will get cold.

yacsap
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:11 am

It's either the Mikrotik itself or else the Mikrotik is redirecting port 53 to a device that is also giving that same address.
(or option 3, the host has the wrong info in hosts file, but nslookup does not use the local resolver, so this isn't likely)

A packet capture might be required to get to the bottom of this if following the trail through iptables and IP > DNS > Static is not leading to the answer.
Ahh, finally clear man, I found my DNS is forwarded to my DNS filtering which I set local IP on that particular hostname :shock:

Thanks heaps man, you're the best! :lol:

*Case closed* :o
[ IMikroTik ] >

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Stuck with local IP DNS Issue

Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:18 am

My takeaway from this is that putting static hostnames in a proxy-resolver generates non-authoritative replies. I would've thought "it's authoritative because it's in my configuration" would be the order of the day.

Now I know.
When given a spoon,
The soup will get cold.