MikroTik App

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

IPv6 Feature requests

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:34 pm

SLAAC-client
Add/Remove/Disable/Enable interfaces to SLAAC client just like DHCP client.
Interfaces could have checkboxes for "use default GW" and "use learned DNS"
Enabling SLAAC client on an interface should add a dynamic entry in RA to disable any SLAAC interfaces.
(or maybe make this optional also)

"Add Default Route" in DHCPv6 client is a decent current workaround, but if an ISP uses a dedicated DHCP server on the segment, and expects the clients to learn gateway from RA, then this would break Mikrotik's implementation.

----

Stateless DHCPD to send information such as DNS, domain suffix, etc. Some OS don't support learning these over SLAAC.

----

IPv6 address from pool - ability to specify WHICH /64 from the pool belongs to which interface.
If ISP delegates a /60, e.g. 2001:db8:1234:5670::/60, then I would like to specify that 5671:: is interface ether1, and 5672 is ether2.

----

Ability to specify link-local address without having to change the MAC address of an interface.
I would like to be able to just make the LAN interface be FE80::1 by convention so that it is easy to distinguish the router in packet captures, consistent to set default GW on lan clients, etc.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPv6 Feature requests

Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:03 pm

----

IPv6 address from pool - ability to specify WHICH /64 from the pool belongs to which interface.
If ISP delegates a /60, e.g. 2001:db8:1234:5670::/60, then I would like to specify that 5671:: is interface ether1, and 5672 is ether2.

----

I agree with that! My ISP XS4ALL issues a /48 network to me which has to be handled with DHCPv6 PD.
This in itself works OK, when a DHCPv6 client has been set up it gets then /48 space in the pool and one can
request addresses for interfaces from that pool.
For me it would be sufficient when I can define a sequence in which the interfaces do the request, e.g. by setting
a sequence number with each interface address config.
Even better would be when the network number (the number between the assigned network and the prefix size
assigned to each network, in your case that would be 1 hex digit and in my case 4 hex digits) can be locked to
the network, but that is not an absolute requirement.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:40 pm

Even better would be when the network number (the number between the assigned network and the prefix size
assigned to each network, in your case that would be 1 hex digit and in my case 4 hex digits) can be locked to
the network, but that is not an absolute requirement.
Cisco's way is to just mask the configured address and the pool prefix together.
So you'd specify an interface as ::7:0:0:0:1/64 and specify the pool ISP1Pool (for instance)
If the pool is 2001:db8:1111:2220::/60 then the interface would be 2001:db8:1111:2227::1/64

This would be simple and require no special config parameters for it to work. It already 'almost' works this way - it's just that they overwrite the entire first 64 bits of your specified address, and not just the bits from the pool.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:25 pm

Ok let's hope that something is worked out, so that we can assign "fixed" addresses to interfaces.
Is there any place for registering feature requests other than putting them in forum posts?

alaine
just joined

Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Cisco's way is to just mask the configured address and the pool prefix together.
So you'd specify an interface as ::7:0:0:0:1/64 and specify the pool ISP1Pool (for instance)
If the pool is 2001:db8:1111:2220::/60 then the interface would be 2001:db8:1111:2227::1/64
That would be a very good solution.

Finland has recently enabled IPv6 for most consumer connections, both in fixed and mobile networks.

So, the dynamic addressed connections receive /56 prefix from operator with Mikrotik DHCPv6-PD client via eth1-gateway. That shows up to ipv6-pool.

The Mikrotik internal LAN segment IPv6 address should be specified as the remaining bits, in this case full 72 bits, but now Mikrotik only supports 64 bits of manual addressing.

The internal LAN segment address would be made of
- first 56 bits from the allocated prefix
- next 8 bits from this extended IPv6 interface address
- remaining 64 bits from the IPv6 classic interface address.

So, IPv6 interface address setup woud be:

::4:0:0:0:1/64 and selected ipv6-pool.

That is 72 bits of 'interface address', but Mikrotik can easily see that the LAN size is with prefix of 64 bits, and thus the extra 8 bits are to be taken from the ipv6-prexix-pool.

Mikrotik seems to allow now only allows IPv6 address to be specified as 64-bit addresses, where the remaining part magically and randomly appears from the 'ipv6pool'. Routers must have more stable addresses and that is why there is no harm configuring the necessary 72 bits directly to the interface.

Of course, evil operator could mess up the DHCPv6-PD allocation, but that is another non Mikrotik-related issue.