Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

How to make PPP user have a different up /down rate limit at different time of day?

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:33 pm

Hi all,

Here is the situation. I have a DSL connection that I am sharing between my office and residence, both in the same building, ie, upstairs and downstairs. I have setup an X86 MT box and setup a PPPoE server with an account for the business and another for the residence. I this way I can share the available bandwidth between the two. That works fairly well, but I have figured that once the office is closed, that bandwidth allocated to the office is been wasted, since it is not been used. What I am hoping to be able to do is allow maximum bandwidth usage for the business from Monday to Friday between 8AM and 5PM and to allow the home to have maximum use of the bandwidth for all other times. Is this possible with MT and if so how? TIA

boen_robot
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to make PPP user have a different up /down rate limit at different time of day?

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:45 pm

AFAIK, if you simply have a limit-at equal to half the speed, and max-limit equal to the full speed, you'd always get the maximum possible speed. If you want the office to never have more than half (even if the residence is inactive), set their max-limit to half, and yours to the full speed.
PEAR2_Net_RouterOS(1.0.0b6) - My API client in PHP
(Rate my posts? If you want... no pressure...)

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: How to make PPP user have a different up /down rate limit at different time of day?

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:59 pm

Thanks for the response, I am using ROS v6.25. I don't see that option anywhere under PPP. That also would not take into consideration my Monday to Friday requirement. Maybe I need a Radius server? Can radius do this?

boen_robot
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:26 am

It's in the PPPoE profile. See this manual page for the full story.

Basically, you want
/ppp profile set "default" rate-limit="100M/100M 0/0 0/0 0/0 8 50M/50M"
assuming your full speed is 100 megabits.

You don't necessarily need RADIUS, although that's also one way. You could instead set up two different profiles, and then with a scheduler script, switch each user to their respective new profile back and forth between the two.
PEAR2_Net_RouterOS(1.0.0b6) - My API client in PHP
(Rate my posts? If you want... no pressure...)

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:05 am

Thanks again for the response. While searching about "scheduler" I saw some other ideas. I guess i have to do some reading. Thanks again.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:22 am

The limit-at solution is definitely the way to go.
Limit-at would be more aptly named "guaranteed minimum"
If multiple queues are vying for bandwidth, then first all queues must have received at least the limit-at minimum.
So if the office is not using any bandwidth, the residence can have it all - but if the office starts using it, then the residence will be forced to slow down.

This is a really clean solution that requires no scripts, schedules, profiles, scheduled disconnects to force profile changes, etc.

After both queues have gotten at least minimum guaranteed bandwidth, then they will be served in priority order.
(low priority number = more important)
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:46 am

I think I got it. I will try it and advise. Thanks again.