Community discussions

MikroTik App

amirreza
just joined
Topic Author

Hotpsot VS Printers & Copier

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:20 pm

Hi, i run Hotspot on routerboard rb951 g-2hnd in Ether2 port.
When i active hotspot my Copier is Inaccessible for users.
We can Access to Copier web base configuration (http://192.168.1.240) for 2mins after turn on copier device.
We try and search Copier's IP in Windows > Devices and Printers > Add Printer

Copier IP: 192.168.1.240
Ether2 & (Hotspot Getway) IP: 192.168.1.6
Hotspot IP Range: 192.168.1.240

I do not know what port and protocol of the Copier device used. (RICOH AFICIO 2075)

I've tried to solve the problem with this solutions:

hossain2004a
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Hotpsot VS Printers & Copier

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:12 pm

As I checked my configs for bypassing my SHARP and Minolta printer, there is no need to Walled Garden it. Walled Garden is used for another purpose. You just need to bypass it in IP binding.

Why your Hotspot range is "192.168.1.240"? is this a range? while it should be 192.168.1.1-192.168.1-240 (for example)
And Did you set the right IP and Gateway in your Printer interface?

amirreza
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:10 pm

As I checked my configs for bypassing my SHARP and Minolta printer, there is no need to Walled Garden it. Walled Garden is used for another purpose. You just need to bypass it in IP binding.

Why your Hotspot range is "192.168.1.240"? is this a range? while it should be 192.168.1.1-192.168.1-240 (for example)
And Did you set the right IP and Gateway in your Printer interface?
Hotspot Range is 192.168.1.21-192.168.1.254
Hotspot Getway is ether2 ip = 192.168.1.6
I Set static ip address in Printer interface, we can access Printer if hotspot is disable.

hossain2004a
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:57 pm

This is just for my test Amir:
In:
/Hotspot server
open up your hotspot server and change the Address pool to: none

tell me whether you can access it or not.

skillful
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:21 pm

From your diagram, it is obvious that Printer/Copier/Users communication occur on the Dlink Switch. In this case, the RB951 router will not interfere with your LAN communication since it is used to route packets egressing your LAN. You don't even need to add any bypass rule for the Printer/Copier in hotspot. I suggest you place more attention on the Dlink Switch.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:54 pm

From your diagram, it is obvious that Printer/Copier/Users communication occur on the Dlink Switch. In this case, the RB951 router will not interfere with your LAN communication since it is used to route packets egressing your LAN. You don't even need to add any bypass rule for the Printer/Copier in hotspot. I suggest you place more attention on the Dlink Switch.
This is true for normal IP communications, but when there is a hotspot, this is not true. The hotspot will do things similar to netcut so that it will interrupt all communications from LAN hosts / redirect them to itself and a hotspot webpage. (it answers all ARP requests, for instance)
I do not know what port and protocol of the Copier device used. (RICOH AFICIO 2075)
Check the hosts table and see if the printer is appearing in this page at all. See if it has any other IP in "address" -
IP Address is the real actual address a host is configured with
To Address is a pool address the Mikrotik assigns to the host - it tries to use the same as the real IP address, but they aren't necessarily the same - if they're different, you talk to the device using "to address" (this is a feature to allow Internet access on devices where the user has no permission to change the IP address settings)

Check the hosts list when the printer is reachable for two minutes, and check again when the printer is not reachable. Chances are, it will have timed out from the hosts list. If the printer sends no traffic, then it will not be recognized / added to the hosts list.

I had a problem (unfortunately I never could solve it) where certain model Dell switches would not be recognized by the bypassed host configuration such as yours. If I would log into the switch by some means that avoided the hotspot, and then ping the default GW, the hotspot would add the switch and everything would work until the timeout went by. If I did not do this, I could not ping the switch from the Mikrotik, no matter what I did....

If you can't get it working, then I suggest you create a second WLAN, associate a VLAN tag with this wlan, and connect the printers to the second wlan - this second wlan will not have any hotspot on it, and you would put the printers' IP addresses in the walled garden so people could print w/o logging in to the hotspot.....

hossain2004a
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:54 pm

I had a problem (unfortunately I never could solve it) where certain model Dell switches would not be recognized by .....
for First time I ran Hotspot in my network I had such problem like "amirreza" I couldn't ping my printer. that time my printer's IP was in 192.168.20.0 network and my hotspot was 10.5.50.0 ( And I wasn't able to change printer IP cause it was lucked :D ) so what was I did was that I remove the "Address Pool" from my hotspot server, so there were one-to-one NAT, no IP change at all so my bypass work correctly....

And Zero can I possibly ask what is your Dell switch model?

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:24 pm

I don't remember - it was those older poweredge switches that had that god-awful command line language.
Probably your printer issue would have been solved if you bound them with a to-address=10.5.50.X address, IP-address=192.168.20.x (printer's real IP) and then whenever you used the printer, always use the 10.5.50.x address that you bound to the printer.

hossain2004a
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:59 pm

I don't remember - it was those older poweredge switches that had that god-awful command line language.
Probably your printer issue would have been solved if you bound them with a to-address=10.5.50.X address, IP-address=192.168.20.x (printer's real IP) and then whenever you used the printer, always use the 10.5.50.x address that you bound to the printer.
Yup, either set address pool to "none" or as you said bind it, so this way it work.
I know setting address pool to "none" is not the secure way, but in our office because there are 3 or 4 separated network and they are all connected together so that's why I did this.