MikroTik App

hajid
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Satellite Downstream only and FO Connection

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:51 am

hi all,
now i have to 2 connection Satellite Downstream Only and FO connection.
all outgoing packet will go via FO connection and incoming packet to some IP will come from Satellite connection. how to configure mikrotik for this case. i don't have AS number.

enver
just joined

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:07 pm

Hello! i'm using a configuration like these with MiKroTik in a ISP Friend.

First a Mikrotik with one Valid Internet IP (ex 69.87.0.10) your gateway (69.87.0.1) routing a Valid IP Class (69.88.0.0/24)(255.255.255.0) to my internal network with another IP 69.88.0.1.

I put 2 *nix (BSD) with Satellite Card in my "Internal Network" 69.88.0.10 and 69.88.0.11 with yours gateways 69.88.0.1 (Mikrotik machine)
Like you know, satellite connection is Two WAY (not your case) or One Way (DownStream Only). And to make this work, you need a Proxy configured in your "WorkStation" or a VPN Connection to a specific Server from the Satellite ISP (hard to do this). Well, after all these informations. When I'm in *nix(BSD) to browse/navigate by sattelite I need to call a proxy server (the more simple case). And, to make any cliente of this "Server" navigate by satellite using *Nix as your gateway, you need to make NAT and a transparent proxy to satellite conexion in the *nix. If you prefer to not use this server as a gateway, but only call the same proxy, it's more simple add the two machines the squid software and put both in the same (PROXY ARRAY) <- see this in the squid website.
After this make your clients use or not (like you prefer) the *nix server your gateway, transparent proxy or not (configured in browser).
If both the servers are in a proxy array, you got anything like a Load Balance and use both connections.

Sorry for bad english!! I hope that this informations helps you.

Another thing, I've tried the VPN connection with two 2Mbps Satellite connection, and had a BAD, VERY BAD speed. when I changed this to proxy array, the connection speed is very good.. anything like 3/3,5mbps (using Proxy ARRAY).