Community discussions

MikroTik App

Syonyk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Battery/AC status monitoring with or without an APC UPS

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:38 pm

Is there an easy way to use the serial port on a RB532 to monitor AC voltage status?

Some of our sites are at locations with iffy AC power. Things like having a window air conditioner on the same circuit that overloads things when it gets too hot out, etc.

We're working around these, slowly, but in the mean time, we've been using battery chargers, marine batteries, and inverters to power things. This works great, except for the fact that we don't have any way to tell if AC power is offline (and get out there to reset the breaker).

Are there any devices, either SNMP enabled, or serial port accessible, that would let us monitor AC voltage & raise an alarm when the circuit goes offline?

The other option I was thinking of is using a small APC UPS to monitor things via the UPS monitoring support.

-=Russ=-

jp
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:27 pm

At one location, I have an old piece of unused networking gear (livingston pm2). Super reliable in every way. Private IP number on it. Plugged into AC power without UPS. Primary purpose is so I can ping it. Monitoring it with nagios lets me know when the power is out.

Syonyk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:09 am

At one location, I have an old piece of unused networking gear (livingston pm2). Super reliable in every way. Private IP number on it. Plugged into AC power without UPS. Primary purpose is so I can ping it. Monitoring it with nagios lets me know when the power is out.
That's disturbingly simple/reliable sounding. I like it. Thanks!

-=Russ=-