Community discussions

MikroTik App

alisaleh
Topic Author

YOUTUBE

Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:25 pm

Is there any way to stop youtube for just one user ?

payday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: YOUTUBE

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:07 pm

Example:
/ip firewall filter
add action=reject chain=forward content=www.youtube.com out-interface=Your_WAN_interface src-mac-address=PC:MA:CA:DD:RE:SS
Replace Your_WAN_interface and PC:MA:CA:DD:RE:SS with real values and fine-tune it to your needs and to lower CPU usage (i.e. filter only DNS requests).

alisaleh
Topic Author

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:18 pm

Example:
/ip firewall filter
add action=reject chain=forward content=www.youtube.com out-interface=Your_WAN_interface src-mac-address=PC:MA:CA:DD:RE:SS
Replace Your_WAN_interface and PC:MA:CA:DD:RE:SS with real values and fine-tune it to your needs and to lower CPU usage (i.e. filter only DNS requests).
Thank you very much I will try it and reply to you about it

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am

This will not work. "Content" is not for URL, it is packet content. This way you will also block any webpages that mention youtube in their articles and other things.

alisaleh
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:42 pm

This will not work. "Content" is not for URL, it is packet content. This way you will also block any webpages that mention youtube in their articles and other things.
yep it did not work :? there is no way to block youtube for certain users ?

alisaleh
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:43 pm

yep it did not work :? i added mac address of client's station and tried to open youtube there and it opened ,i looked in the filter still the counters zerro no thing happened, there is no way to block youtube for certain users ?

payday
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:43 pm

OK, this was just an example. Here is version that works:
/ip firewall layer7-protocol
add name=youtube regexp=youtube

/ip firewall filter
add action=drop chain=input dst-port=53 layer7-protocol=youtube protocol=udp src-mac-address=PC:MA:CA:DD:RE:SS place-before=0
add action=drop chain=forward dst-port=53 layer7-protocol=youtube out-interface=Your_WAN_interface protocol=udp src-mac-address=PC:MA:CA:DD:RE:SS place-before=0
First rule works when using DNS server of router, second rule works with remote DNS. Use both rules in case user tries to change DNS. Try this and post your results.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:34 am

OK, this was just an example. Here is version that works:
/ip firewall layer7-protocol
add name=youtube regexp=youtube

/ip firewall filter
add action=drop chain=input dst-port=53 layer7-protocol=youtube protocol=udp src-mac-address=PC:MA:CA:DD:RE:SS place-before=0
add action=drop chain=forward dst-port=53 layer7-protocol=youtube out-interface=Your_WAN_interface protocol=udp src-mac-address=PC:MA:CA:DD:RE:SS place-before=0
First rule works when using DNS server of router, second rule works with remote DNS. Use both rules in case user tries to change DNS. Try this and post your results.
This works. Blocking DNS is about the only real way to stop a site as expansive and dynamic as Youtube - layer7 and content won't work on https:// connections, which is what Google forces nowadays.

Also - firing the user for screwing around at the office is even more effective.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:53 am

i use opendns to do that

alisaleh
Topic Author

Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:56 pm

thanks , i will try them and post what happens

alisaleh
Topic Author

Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:56 am

i tried it but it did not work ... i put mac address of the clients access point then i tried the mac address of the broad band account logged in and also did not work,i give broadband accounts from a company and not bandwidth