Community discussions

MikroTik App

bennyng
Topic Author

Fastpath on vlan interface.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:19 am

Hello All

Does anyone know if fastpath is supported on VLAN interface?

Thanks

Benny

Clbh
just joined

Re: Fastpath on vlan interface.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:48 am

Hello All
It isn't currently supported as of the latest official release (6.29.1).

However, lucky for you, fastpath support for VLAN interfaces was added to the latest RC for 6.30 just yesterday! (starting in version 6.30rc17)

If you want, you can try out the RC now to see if it works for you (whilst keeping in mind that bugs might exist).

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:33 am

if you are referring to fast-path, it is supported on vlan interface

if you are referring to fast-track i dont know

bennyng
Topic Author

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:10 am

Good to hear that.. as i'm trying on the 6.29.1 for the fast track and fast path. both are not working if the in/out interface are on vlan..

Looking forward for 6.30
Hello All
It isn't currently supported as of the latest official release (6.29.1).

However, lucky for you, fastpath support for VLAN interfaces was added to the latest RC for 6.30 just yesterday! (starting in version 6.30rc17)

If you want, you can try out the RC now to see if it works for you (whilst keeping in mind that bugs might exist).

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:05 am

What's new in 6.30rc17 (2015-Jun-11 10:24):
*) fasttrack - added dummy firewall rule in filter and mangle tables to show packets/bytes that get processed in fasttrack and bypass firewall;
*) fastpath - vlan interfaces support fastpath;
With great knowledge comes great responsibility, because of ability to recognize id... incompetent people much faster.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:05 pm

*) fasttrack - added dummy firewall rule in filter and mangle tables to show packets/bytes that get processed in fasttrack and bypass firewall;
im confused

please look this screen, here i see routing using vlan interfaces and fast path enabled on 6.28
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:10 pm

What's new in 6.30rc17
You are using v6.28 and fastpath support for vlans is being added from v6.30rc17

bennyng
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:25 pm

Yes, fast path is enabled, but you see there are no packet going through the fastpath channel because you have the vlan enabled. if you turn off the vLAN, you will able to see the fastpath counter increasing.
im confused

please look this screen, here i see routing using vlan interfaces and fast path enabled on 6.28

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:54 am

Yes, fast path is enabled, but you see there are no packet going through the fastpath channel because you have the vlan enabled. if you turn off the vLAN, you will able to see the fastpath counter increasing.
im confused

thank you very much for your explanation

hknet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:24 am

to fast-path or not to fast-path...

Dear MikroTik could you please update http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Fast_Path ?
in RouterOS 6.36 on CCR1036 we currently see:
VLAN outgoing traffic is not fastpath, while the interface the VLAN is tagged to shows its packets sent via fastpath?
on the other receiving end another 1036 sees the VLAN tagged packets incoming as well as the host-interface to handle those packets via fastpath in both traffic stats....

is there only fastpath vlan-receiving support currently?

funfact: as I read VRFs are not supported, on both sides both interfaces are in VRFs and as I read the wiki-page: this shouldn't work?

please MikroTik: clarify - thx.

hknet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:51 pm

Well I'm finally totally puzzled about fastpath/fasttrack - in /ip settings we see this:

while on the other hand the interface stats show:

First question would be: who's right the settings or the stats?
(as we see connections in the firewall with "CF" flag I'd believe the stats are more right)

And regarding the vlan support - it seems to me outgoing packets in VLANs don't like fastpath while incoming we see them in fastpath-stats.

Especially in regards to scaling: who's right? and if VLANs are not supported for fastpath would an MPLS do the trick to have the traffic from different VRFs clearly separated or would fastpath fail us there too?

Thank you in advance,
hk

hknet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:24 am

I'm a little talking to myself here :)

To make the analysis a bit harder in terms of performance, if I read all this stuff correctly one has to have onnectiontracking on auto in order to get fastpath/fasttrack.

On the other hand onnectiontracking seems to take cpu cycles, which is again not good for datathrougputperformance.

if someone could point me to an article/paper/whatever from MikroTik clarifying this whole issue, I'd appreciate it.

Regards,
hk

jkarras
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:47 am

This really should be a new thread if you want people to look at it.

I think there is a misunderstanding of the differences in FastPath and FastTrack as well as what the "auto" setting does with connection tracking.

FastPath benefits ROS devices which are only routing. If you use any firewall rules on an interface it will not work. Additionally, connection tracking must be off (auto with no rules or off). If you want the benefits of FastPath while running the ROS in a firewall role then you'll want to look at FastTrack.

FastTrack on the other hand, allows FastPath like speeds with firewall rules and a simple form of connection tracking. Per the wiki Fasttracked packets bypass firewall, connection tracking, simple queues, queue tree with parent=global, ip traffic-flow(restriction removed in 6.33), ip accounting, ipsec, hotspot universal client, vrf assignment, so it is up to administrator to make sure fasttrack does not interfere with other configuration;

Basically, the way FastTrack speeds up processing is bypassing any code paths that may require extra work. If a packet doesn't need to go there then mark the traffic for FastTrack and get the speed increase and lower CPU. If the traffic does need to hit one of the listed items make sure your FastTrack marking rule doesn't include that traffic.

Question about your MPLS scenario are you talking about using the device in a backbone role just label switching or as a device which is terminating the tunnel? Per the wiki FastPath only works when the MPLS frame is switched. If the frame is being encapsulated or decapsulated it does not operate in FastPath mode.

Just remember that FastPath and FastTrack are about skipping steps in the path that are not needed to make a forwarding decision.

hknet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:10 pm

well after several support-mails to and from Mikrotik (thanks guys!)
we got fastpath active - the last issue was an ipv6 firewall policy - this also breaks fastpath.

hknet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:42 am

and there's one more thing...

in case you have routing-marks for anything anywhere in your system, this will prevent fastpath, even if it's an inactive RIP-setting ;)
and - as far as I found out - there is no way to clear the routing-mark table in the kernel via RouterOS and therefore you're stuck on no-fastpath until you reboot the system.

but in the end it's probably worth the effort, CPU usage is in fact reduced to near nothing:

lustyffh

Wed May 24, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi, just want to resurrect this thread. Can anyone confirm that fastpath is working with VLANs? I have plain wireless bridge which moves traffic to a software VLAN interface as on the picture. However, Fastpath doesn't pick up my multicast stream from WDS interface.

At the same time unicast traffic arriving at the parent wlan1 interface (which is bridged to another VLAN) is being passed through 'fast-path' quite fine.

Could virtual interface be the problem here or fastpath doesn't support multicast?
2017-05-24 19_09_36-admin@192.168.88.77 (NetMetal5) - WinBox v6.39.1 on NetMetal 5 (mipsbe).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.