Community discussions

MikroTik App

rocknight13
Topic Author

New linux package or commands package

Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:03 pm

Dear All,
Hope I can collect as much as possible voices to make this be true . My suggestion is to create a package(let we name it linux package or commands package) with simple commands which can deal with files and directories and adding some simple abilities like adding,editing,removing and creating files. I hope to get these commands in that package :-

cd - change directory
cp - copy files and directories
mkdir - make directories
mv - move (rename) files
rm - remove files or directories
vi or nano - for file editing in text format
> - redirect output command to new file
>> - redirect output command to exist file

I am sure this package will make mikrotik more power full with console or SSH interface. and help us to deal with scripts and files in better way...most of these abilities and commands are exist with ubiquiti units. I am sure mikrotik more professional to get these abilities.
I hope to get all voices and support to make this true
regards

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: New linux package or commands package

Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:01 pm

what do you plan to do with this? if you have SMB, you can manage files from the Windows/Mac share window
No answer to your question? How to write posts

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:36 pm

But if he does not have SMB ?

These commands could be used in scripts for easy file management...let see
1. some kind of log is deleted each day ...
2. SMB share is cleared periodically
3. temoprary files are cleared
Real admins use real keyboards.

noyo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:38 pm

what do you plan to do with this? if you have SMB, you can manage files from the Windows/Mac share window
It's not the same. I'm on like this.

rocknight13
Topic Author

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:50 pm

normis wrote:
Dear Normis,
It is not about SMB and it is not same as BartoszP wrote and he listed with thankful some of needs and I can add more :-

1. Most of needs is to menage output command to a file which can be used later to used in script.
2. writing script will be more easy than now.
3. dealing with LOG file and SMB directly
4. it is not logic to deal with device based on linux kernel but you can't use basic commands for file and memory management.
5. adding basic linux command lines to mikrotik will make it more professional and your needs to Windows or Mac will be zero.
6. This package will be optional as other packages so no worry about and hardware resources.
7. Mikrotik create APIs to allows users to create custom software solutions to communicate with RouterOS to gather information, adjust configuration and manage router but most of these softwares and applications needs config files or some software keys ..etc. But in same time till now Mikrotik did not offer a simple tools to deal with files and managing it memory contents.
I can list more but these main points I can think about it. I am sure most of mikrotik users and developers need this package. if you think this it is useless Normis. Please make referendum for this and you will get answer.
Hope others support me and ask for this option
Regards

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:01 pm

Smb is not an option as mikrotik didn't upgraded it to the version that windows 7 and newer are able to work with.