Community discussions

MikroTik App

yacsap
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Add VoIP Support

Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:24 am

Hi, I would like to propose a feature request on RouterOS v7.

In Ci*** IOS they have Ci*** Unified Communications Manager Express, looks like pretty simple, but mostly they're using SCCP, but since most general VoIP they use SIP, why not try to fork Asterisk into RouterOS v7?

Looks like simple, won't burden router's resource, adds great feature to the RouterBOARD itself, so offices can have VoIP capability only with RouterBOARD without having to have separate Asterisk or FreePBX server.

I hope my feature request would be implemented and makes MikroTik the best router in the world!

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Add VoIP Support

Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:06 am

In Ci*** IOS they have Ci*** Unified Communications Manager Express, looks like pretty simple, but mostly they're using SCCP, but since most general VoIP they use SIP, why not try to fork Asterisk into RouterOS v7?
Please NOT asterisk. If SIP would get to be added into RouterOS let it be at least FreeSwitch.

marrold

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:48 pm

This seems unnecessary, a Router shouldn't try and run all these services, as it may affect performance of its core functionality.

Additionally, when these extra features are added they rarely function as well as a stand alone product with proper support and development.

shahbazian
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:49 pm

Hi,
+1 for VoIP support but not for Asterisk.
For that, you can use metarouter and load OpenWRT on it and install Asterisk on OpenWRT in metarouter; Asterisk hereby take your RouterBOARD will be activated.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:09 am

This seems unnecessary, a Router shouldn't try and run all these services, as it may affect performance of its core functionality.

Additionally, when these extra features are added they rarely function as well as a stand alone product with proper support and development.
totally agree with you there are small and cheap appliances for voip

one example

http://www.elastix.com/portfolio-item/microucs/

i prefer mikrotik to focus efforts on networking, not another functions

awacenter
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:16 am

I am VoIP engineer and agree with you. It is bad idea.
It is unnecessary to add VoIP services in MT, except to improve this traffic.

VoIP service for one way, and routing/filtering on another way.

troffasky

Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:23 pm

Not sure about having an actual PBX built into RouterOS [because you can already do whatever you want with metarouters], but more options on the SIP ALG would be useful.

acypkob
just joined

Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:52 pm

simple SIPproxy/RTPproxy totally needed, it would boost MikroTik sales numbers by lower implemetation barrier as configure SIP through NAT is tricky and SIPproxy could replace NAT traversal

since your automatic SIP-ALG does not works well in most cases!

YourWordIsTruth
just joined

Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:25 am

simple SIPproxy/RTPproxy totally needed, it would boost MikroTik sales numbers by lower implemetation barrier as configure SIP through NAT is tricky and SIPproxy could replace NAT traversal

since your automatic SIP-ALG does not works well in most cases!
Cisco SCCP RTP / SIP proxy support is really needed if RB has any hope of entering into the North American Mid-Large market, today we can't even consider using RB as a VPN hardware client for the 1's of users we have. Honestly, RB would be perfect as it offers an outstanding value, but since we can't easily implement support for Cisco SCCP VoIP endpoints using RB as a hardware VPN end point (SSTP/IPSEC/OpenVPN) and standard Cisco SCCP enabled handsets.

pennytone
just joined

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:11 am

I'm not sure why Mikrotik should implement an ALG for SCCP protocol since Cisco has moved their SPA series phones and most of their other devices to SIP protocol. SIP is the accepted standard for a while. SCCP is slowly being retired. I use Mikrotik's implementation of ALG and it works fine for me. From what I've seen Mikrotik does not seem get involved with conforming to one vendor's implementation of anything, I agree with them on that.

FIPTech
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 10, 2017 11:31 am

LLDP-Med would be a nice addition for Voip, so that the voice VLAN can be automatically detected by phones. This is a switch feature.

This is true for example for Mitel - Aastra phones that know how to get the voice vlan from LLDP. Probably other brands today have LLDP-Med support.

Other phones need to get it through DHCP using the untagged VLAN, and switch to the tagged VLAN. This is a more complicated setup. Technically LLDP-Med is the best solution. The only thing you have to do is to declare the VLAN as a voice VLAN on each switch. After this the voice VLAN is announced through LLDP-Med to phones, that will switch and listen to the right tagged VLAN.

Fast and efficient. Using a tagged VLAN for phones is mandatory as soon as you want to use the second port on phones to connect computers to a separate VLAN.

LLDP-Med is available on HP Procurve / Aruba switches, probably other brands like Netgear. I did use it successfully on Procurve switches.

pennytone
just joined

Tue May 30, 2017 8:31 pm

I just gave a presentation on SIP ALG at the Mikrotik MUM in Denver Colorado 2017 explaining everything about SIP ALG in RouterOS
watch here:
https://youtu.be/tM7wyKdnIKA