Community discussions

DavidHigh
just joined
Topic Author

QoS: how can I give low priority to iCloud, GDrive, DropBox, etc upload traffic?

Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi! In my network there's a recurring problem: people who sync their datas with cloud services like iCloud, Google Drive, Drop Box or similar occupy the whole upload bandwidth and they hang the whole network!
The easy solution would be limit upload speed for each application, but it can't be done for every user, and some services do not have the ability to throttle the upload (i.e. iCloud on iPhones/iPad).
The best solution would be to create some kind of firewall rules to give a low priority to the upload traffic to this services.
In my opinion this could be achieved via layer7-protocol, but I really don't have a clue on the regex to use to identify them.
Can anybody help me?

Thank you very much.

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: QoS: how can I give low priority to iCloud, GDrive, DropBox, etc upload traffic?

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:48 am

Bump ...

I'm having the same problem and would like to prioritize cloud drives traffic with lower priority... anyone have a clue?

JF.

freemannnn
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: QoS: how can I give low priority to iCloud, GDrive, DropBox, etc upload traffic?

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:54 pm

i have the same problem also
iphone and ipad users when plugs their devices to charge them, they automatically start backup to icloud and this is taking all upload speed which in my situation is 1mbps.
when icloud backup is running browsing at any other device in same lan is very slow.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:42 pm

this example can be useful

https://www.mikrotik-routeros.com/2014/ ... bandwidth/

the concept its to identify connections what transfer bit amount of information as BIG connections giving them a lower priority and specific limit

ukzerosniper
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:50 pm

I have been trying to figure this out. Does anyone have any insight as to how we can identify and mark packets for dropbox?

Thanks in advance.