Community discussions

MikroTik App

PatrickF95
just joined
Topic Author

Simple Queue not working when Fasttrack enabled

Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:02 am

Hello,

I'm am using Router OS 6.29.1 at the moment with fasttrack enabled. This evening I found out that simple queues like the example below are not working when fasttrack is enabled. When disable the fasttrack entry in the firewall the queue works fine.
/queue simple
add max-limit=1M/1M name=queue1 target=192.168.1.254/32
Is this normal or is it a bug that will be fixed later?

Best regards,
Patrick

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:11 pm

It is normal. You cannot have both.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Simple Queue not working when Fasttrack enabled

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:47 pm

Fasttrack if for speeding up traffic. Queue is for slowing it down.

Why do you want Fasttrack, if you are limiting speed?

The only possibility is if you mark specific traffic to not be queued, but to be fasttracked. Then separately mark the other traffic that needs to be Queued.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Simple Queue not working when Fasttrack enabled

Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:27 pm

But normis, wouldn't be great to have fasttrack until the speed limit is reached and then start to apply queueing to slow the traffic if necessary? I know that it doesn't work that, but there is just need to count the traffic that could be done virtually by side and not in packet processing queues, I would say. Then we could have both at once...

PatrickF95
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:41 pm

Thank you for the replys.

I have informed me a bit more about fasttrack.It makes sense that queue's are not working when fasttrack is enabled.

I' am going to try normis advice.

asimko

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:46 pm

Hello,

Is there a possibility to have fasttrack enabled and limit user by IP? We are using simple queues to limit users in speed for what they have payed for, but we like fasttrack because it is eating much less cpu (installed ros today 6.30.1) and is really significant.

Thanks for reply.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:52 pm

You can also use Switch to reduce CPU speed, then traffic will not be processed by the CPU. In the Switch config you can assign bandwidth limitations.

You can then configure Fasttrack for other traffic.
Screenshot 2015-07-16 12.56.03.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:11 pm

If you are using queues of any kind you need to inspect a packet, classify it , and place it in a queue, so that you know when speed limit is reached , queue is full and you an start dropping the packets (limiting speed).
Fasttrack is all about skipping those processes, that is where that speed comes form.

It is like "face control" in the nightclub :)
Fasttrack is friends and celebrities that are known to guard that get in as soon as face is recognized.
Queues are regular people in the line that you stand in to get in the club, and in the end they will check your ID, bag and pocket content, and might be discarted :)

You can't have both, you can't have celebrity approach with deep pocket and bag inspection at the same time, can you?

ners
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:41 pm

The current implementation is not optimal.

It should implemented in such a way, that Fasttrack gets disabled only for such traffic which cannot be fasttracked (due to simple queues, firewall rules etc...). The presence of simple queues for certain targets should not disable Fasttrack for everything else.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:22 pm

It is so. The fasttrack goes around the queues not that the queues would be going around the fasttrack.

ners
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:19 am

Simple queues should override fasttrack for specific IP/Interfaces where it is applicable.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:02 pm

Then exclude those ips from fasttrack first.

niamul
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:06 pm

We have multiple queues running and I would like to enable fast track for just one user. How do I go about doing that? Would that be done by using the source ip? Or is fast track for everybody or nobody?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:42 am

Fasttrack is action in firewall rule. So make whatever condition you want, put that action to it and see.

ners
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re:

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:32 am

Too much of a hassle, really, not elegant and is just a duct tape solution to a bad design decision.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:09 pm

Maybe learn a bit about the principles how fasttrack works. And yes, I agree that it doesn't look so much straightforward.

bajodel
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re:

Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:13 am

Maybe learn a bit about the principles how fasttrack works. And yes, I agree that it doesn't look so much straightforward.
You guys are surely right, I have a personal "philosophy": if I have money/need for high speed link I'll spend some bucks for a horse powered device (rb1100, ccr,..) :D

I don't use fasttrack on production, I only made some tests on lab stuff; surely a great tool on certain conditions but IMHO limited to "home/single user" use.

On other side, I was now thinking to test fastrack to completely bypass queue (best priority ever) for voip traffic ..I'll give a spin :lol:

Jivo

Re:

Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:31 pm

Tried that - did not work.

I have excluded the IP range I want to queue form Fasttrack, but did not get the expected result.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:48 am

Some config fault probably. Try opposite way. Switch fasttrack off, check the queues are working. Add fasttrack only for selected ips and check the others are not influenced.

rekeds
just joined

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:40 pm

how to disable fast track?

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:41 pm

by disabling fasttrack rule in firewall filters.

rekeds
just joined

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:58 pm

by disabling fasttrack rule in firewall filters.
firewall filter - removed

simple queue counters for target IP are still 0, tried to disable/enable.

reboot

still zero counters. hmm.
v6.33.3

silversword
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:19 pm

I came across this thread when trying to limit guest wifi with simple queues, while fasttrack is enabled (on CRS125-24G). Have to have fasttrack enabled, on a 1Gbps fiber internet connection. If fasttrack isn't enabled, System | Profile shows that firewall hits 100% CPU, and limits my wired connections to ~200Mbps on the gateway.

My solution for now is under: Wireless | ap-guest | Wireless tab | putting entries in the "default AP Tx Rate" and "Default Client Tx Rate". 1000000 = 1.0 Mbps so just accordingly. Of course this is limiting the entire AP instead of individual clients.

HTH,
David

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:25 am

You can have queues for guests and fasttrack for you. Just set the ip addresses in the rules to distinguish who is who.

silversword
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:22 pm

Jarda, considering this (almost default config for CRS125)

I believe you're saying there needs to be another firewall rule between 3 and 4 applying to the IP's assigned to the wifi guest network (192.168.20.0/24) so that it triggers before the defconf: fasttrack rule is that right?  Currently the traffic doesn't show up in the simple queue (it's disabled in pic, but it was enabled when testing).

What would that rule be?

Thx,
David

silversword
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:02 am

I think I was able to get this working:
/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=forward comment=\
    "Guest wifi IP excluded from fasttrack for simple queue processing" connection-state=\
    established,related src-address=192.168.20.0/24
add action=accept chain=forward comment=\
    "Guest wifi IP excluded from fasttrack for simple queue processing" connection-state=\
    established,related dst-address=192.168.20.0/24
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" \
    connection-state=established,related

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:10 am

Are there any connections to .20.0 network? If not, delete first two accepting rules and put .20.0 with negative mark in the src address field of the fasttrack rule. It will not be fasttracked but subsequent rule will accept it. Much more effective.

rbnewfan

Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:10 pm

I have to concur with the guys with gigabit connections.
I have a gigabit connection and with fastrack I can go up to 900+ Mbps with 95% CPU, but disabling fasttrack (to enable simple queues to limit some clients to about 300-400 Mbps) and just enabling a simple queue, the speed falls down to below 160Mbps with 100% CPU!

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:29 pm

That's nothing against. If you are able to reach such speed with queues on rb2011, you are a lucky man.

ZschimmerIT

Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:06 pm

Hi, I've still the problem with Fastpath active, no queue is working for Hotspot...
Can anybody tell me how to use fastpath but only queueing hotspot traffic?
I use the integrated hotspot server with build in queues.
# feb/04/2022 13:57:28 by RouterOS 6.49.2
# model = RB3011UiAS
/ip firewall filter
add action=passthrough chain=unused-hs-chain comment="place hotspot rules here" disabled=yes
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept established,related,untracked" connection-state=stablished,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ICMP" protocol=icmp
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept to local loopback (for CAPsMAN)" dst-address=127.0.0.1
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop all not coming from LAN" in-interface-list=!LAN
add action=drop chain=forward comment="drop hotspot not > internet" in-interface=bridge_hotspot out-interface-list=!WAN
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept in ipsec policy" ipsec-policy=in,ipsec
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept out ipsec policy" ipsec-policy=out,ipsec
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" connection-state=established,related
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept established,related, untracked" connection-state=established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed" connection-nat-state=!dstnat connection-state=new in-interface-list=WAN
/ip firewall mangle
add action=set-priority chain=postrouting comment="Set priority for WMM" new-priority=from-dscp-high-3-bits passthrough=yes

/ip hotspot user profile
add insert-queue-before=first mac-cookie-timeout=1d name=2m/10m-speed parent-queue=none queue-type=default rate-limit=2m/10m
/ip hotspot profile
add dns-name=hotspot.customer hotspot-address=10.10.10.1 http-cookie-lifetime=1d login-by=cookie,http-chap,trial,mac-cookie name=hsprof1 rate-limit=20m/100m trial-uptime-limit=1d trial-user-profile=2m/10m-speed
/ip hotspot
add address-pool=pool_hotspot disabled=no interface=bridge_hotspot name=hotspot1 profile=hsprof1
Cheers

Marcel

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:17 pm

Fastpath <> fasttrack

Only fasttrack when not using hotspot-IP adresses ?

See this thread where it was discussed as well
viewtopic.php?t=139341