Community discussions

soamz
Topic Author

BGP with CCR1009 ?

Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:28 am

Hi, Im currently on 45Mbps link, but soon upgrading this link to 155Mbps and getting another link of another company for 155Mbps too.

So, two different links of 155Mbps, so a total of 310Mbps for my customers.

My current server has CCR1009 installed and working.
So, I just wanted to know, if this can handle the BGP well and my 310Mbps link total from 2 providers and a customer base of 1000 customers.

Or do I need to buy something else ?

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: BGP with CCR1009 ?

Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:47 am

CPU wise for handling the throughput, the CCR1009 should be able to handle it in its sleep.

BGP wise, if you are taking full routes from both providers, it will likely take some time to get the routes downloaded and integrated. It's a single threaded process at this time so only one core is used. A fast x86 processor is better for that job at this time.

However, if your providers are pretty stable, it may not be a meaningful issue for you.

If you only take partial route tables with a covering default, or even just defaults, you will have no problems at all with CPU power.

soamz
Topic Author

Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:51 am

CPU wise for handling the throughput, the CCR1009 should be able to handle it in its sleep.

BGP wise, if you are taking full routes from both providers, it will likely take some time to get the routes downloaded and integrated. It's a single threaded process at this time so only one core is used. A fast x86 processor is better for that job at this time.

However, if your providers are pretty stable, it may not be a meaningful issue for you.

If you only take partial route tables with a covering default, or even just defaults, you will have no problems at all with CPU power.

So, what do you suggest ?

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:00 am

That depends on your tolerance to slow BGP table loads.

*I* would use what I have and if BGP table loads are too painful for *my* environment, grab an x86 router. You have to make your own decision... :-)

Even a Pentium 4 would likely have faster BGP table loads. A decent i7, in a network appliance format, makes a very nice router. If you go x86, don't bother putting more than 2GB of RAM in it.

soamz
Topic Author

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:11 am

Okay right now Im using CCR1009 as my core router.

Once I have 2 ISP links, so I have to buy 2 new routers so two ISP links to goes to this 2 new routers and then comes to this core router CCR1009 ?

Is it so ?

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:26 am

That is completely up to your choice of network architecture design, and budget.

It is considered good practice to have one router do the eBGP and other routers handle the IGP. But that is not strictly required. Whether you use one router or two to handle the eBGP peers, is up to you. Two routers either adds redundancy or an extra point of failure and complexity, depending on your perspective.

You haven't told us anything about your environment and your requirements. We can't do more than tell you things you can find, likely better written, in any BGP primer online.

If you've decided to buy an additional router or two for your upstream connections and have the budget, you should go with x86 appliances. But that's not the question with which you started this thread.