Community discussions

MikroTik App

jonathan2493
Topic Author

ingress and egress tagging

Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:00 pm

hi,

Could someone give me an easy explanation of ingress and egress vlan stuff on the CRS. :idea:

I want to understand what the In. VLAN Tran. and Eg. VLAN Tran. does and what practical real world scenarios/topology could or will I use this.

Thanks!

John

becs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: ingress and egress tagging

Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:49 pm

Ingress VLAN translation rules are for PVID (Port VLAN ID) configuration. PVID is a default VLAN id assigned to frames coming to the port. PVID is required on Access ports where usually PCs and other end-user devices are connected.

Egress VLAN Tag table contains configuration for VLAN Trunk ports - ports which forward tagged frames to other VLAN aware devices.

In short, proper VLAN configuration on CRS switches:
/interface ethernet switch ingress-vlan-translation
+
/interface ethernet switch egress-vlan-tag

Egress VLAN translation rules is additional option to modify VLAN header once more before sending out packet from the CRS port. They are not necessary in basic setups.

Real world application examples with CRS switch are described in wiki manual:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CRS_examples

wwwevecom

Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:00 pm

Hello, I have another question about this issue: What is the difference between thees two menus VLAN Tagging and eg. VLAN tran.(1 and 2 on picture). I have CRS212-1G-10S-1S+IN and add tagged vlans in menu (1) - VLAN Tagging (on picture) with command: /interface ethernet switch egress-vlan-tag add tagged-ports=sfp5 vlan-id=33 for example.
When I want add untagged vlan I add in ( in. VLAN tran.) tab.
But when I should be used (eg. VLAN tran.) tab? with command : /interface ethernet switch egress-vlan-translation
Is the function of these two menus (1 and 2 on pic.) duplicate?

Thank You
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wwwevecom

Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:14 pm

hi, Is there answer for me?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:31 pm

Hello, I have another question about this issue: What is the difference between thees two menus VLAN Tagging and eg. VLAN tran.(1 and 2 on picture). I have CRS212-1G-10S-1S+IN and add tagged vlans in menu (1) - VLAN Tagging (on picture) with command: /interface ethernet switch egress-vlan-tag add tagged-ports=sfp5 vlan-id=33 for example.
When I want add untagged vlan I add in ( in. VLAN tran.) tab.
But when I should be used (eg. VLAN tran.) tab? with command : /interface ethernet switch egress-vlan-translation
Is the function of these two menus (1 and 2 on pic.) duplicate?

Thank You
vlan tagging refers to frames outgoing a port with a tag (like trunk port in cisco terms)

i have never used egress vlan translation like becs says its not used in most common implementations

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:35 pm

take in mind to vlans work properly you have to disable forwarding for invalid vlans
vlans.jpg
beware of do not lost connectivity to switch

i suggest you leaving a port on switch out of switch configuration (no master port) to manage the switch without losing winbox management
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.