Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

rwrocket
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

CRS Need help with switch configuration

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:03 am

Hoping someone can please help me because I am pulling my hair out here.

I have a CRS125-24G-1S-IN
Here is the configuration I need

Eth1 & Eth 2 in a active backup bond.
Management vlan 20 attached to switch1 cpu and tagged these ports
Customer vlan 10 on tagged on these ports

ANy other port /all ports untagged in customer vlan 10

I followed this guide:
http://www.mikrotik-routeros.com/2014/0 ... iguration/

and had what I need working using only eth1, but I need the same functionality with a active backup bonding on eth1 and eth2

Is this possible?
The guide sets all the untagged ports as a slave to the tagged/trunk ports which works when it's a single interface but I can't set a port as a slave to bonding interface... so how can I make this work.

Kaldek

Re: CRS Need help with switch configuration

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:42 am

Master/Slave just controls interface isolation, and as I understand it link bonding basically just stops spanning tree from going nuts for starters, and then balances traffic as a second function.

I would think you just set eth1 as master, with eth2 and all other interfaces as slaves to it, then do the rest of your bonding/tagging config. I would assume that you allocate the VLANs to the bonding interface rather than eth1 or eth2.

Actually the CRS manual suggests using trunking rather than bonding. Doesn't support LACP but acts as a statically defined link aggregation group. Who cares? LACP stands for Link Aggregation Control Protocol. We're just statically defining the same darned thing so we don't need a control protocol.

The code they provide is:
/interface ethernet
set ether6 master-port=ether2
set ether7 master-port=ether2
set ether8 master-port=ether2

/interface ethernet switch trunk
add name=trunk1 member-ports=ether6,ether7,ether8
At that point I'm guessing you would add VLAN tagging to the trunk interface. I just tested this, and as soon as I created a trunk, the individual interfaces I added to the trunk that were in the VLAN were removed from the VLAN and replaced with the trunk interface automatically.

Personally, when it comes to switching I force as much onto the CRS switch hardware as I can, otherwise the RouterOS CPU is having to do all the work. Using the switch hardware I can easily have multiple 1Gb/s data transfers occurring between interfaces within a VLAN.

Can I ask what kind of device is on the other end of the trunk? Cisco?

rwrocket
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: CRS Need help with switch configuration

Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:37 am

The other end will be mikrotik also but not directly opposite via layer2

It will go through some radio links

I had decided to do this by bonding EOIP tunnels but as you said it is putting load on the cpu instead of using the switch capabilities.