Community discussions

Hennericho
just joined
Topic Author

PPTP VPN unstable

Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:02 am

Hi Everyone,

I don't know if I'm just being dumb but I can't get my PPTP VPNs stable.

We have a head office with 2 remote branches. I have a RB750 at the head office and a RB951 at each remote branch. I have setup a PPTP server on the RB750 at head office and running the PPTP client from each remote branch. I'm using the default profile and created secrets for the username and password.

At the remote branch I'm using ADSL for internet and doing the dialing on the RB951. It seems that when ever the ISP does load balancing or route changing on their network, it drops my PPTP tunnels. With browsing you don't notice this as it drops for about 10sec to 20sec at a time but my remote branches are running RDP clients to the head office so they notice any interruption in the connection.

I have disabled encryption, I have my MTU and MRU set to 1460, keep alive timeout is 30sec. There is no EOIP or bridging happening. Just NAT masquerade on the VPNs.

Now I know my internet at the head office is stable as these VPNs drop at different time from each other. Each VPN drops about 3-4 times a day.

Is there anything I can do to stop these VPNs from dropping?

Regards
Hennericho

eternal0

Re: PPTP VPN unstable

Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:21 am

Can you try another VPN instead? Such as L2TP, SSTP, and OVPN. If all of your routers have public IP, you can use EoIP, IPIP or GRE.

Hennericho
just joined
Topic Author

Re: PPTP VPN unstable

Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:55 pm

I Have tried L2TP before and it gave the same problem. It also seemed to be 10ms - 20ms higher in latency than PPTP. That's why I went the PPTP route. I will swap to L2TP again and give it a test. Will post my results.