Community discussions

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Hotspot where "free trial" is 1mbps/512kbps and authenticated gets >3mbps/1mbps?

Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:03 am

I'm trying to meet a customer's requirements of giving wifi guests the option of WiFi at slow speeds (e-mail and basic web capable) for free or signing up for streaming capable speeds via a credit card / RADIUS.

I've been looking for examples for a few hours and don't see something similar. If anyone knows of any examples, I would appreciate a pointer.

I am currently wondering if the best method is for the billing system to authenticate an unknown MAC address as a low speed client without having an actual account.

Also, is there a good way to keep the users informed of the signup page so they can upgrade later, if desired?

I do a lot of RADIUS based rate limiting in an ISP setting, but hotspot is new for me.

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: Hotspot where "free trial" is 1mbps/512kbps and authenticated gets >3mbps/1mbps?

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:17 am

I'm trying the non-streaming plan doing an automatic login using a hotspot user and plaintext password in the login link. It seems to work.
<a href="$(link-login-only)?dst=$(link-orig-esc)&username=defaultguest&password=defaultguest">
The code box wants to word-wrap at a hyphen on my screen. I suspect the word-wrap would break the actual login.html

Now I'm trying to determine what combination of options will bring up the login page once every X hours so the user has the option to upgrade service without hunting too hard.

prawira
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Hotspot where "free trial" is 1mbps/512kbps and authenticated gets >3mbps/1mbps?

Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:10 pm

+ define the trial and authenticated profile under /ip hotspot user profile with it packet mark
+ assign the trial profile to trial-user-profile=default under /ip hotspot profile
+ define the speed for the packet mark at point 1 (both for free and authenticated users on) queue tree
+ add the hotspot mangle on /ip firewall mangle

does it

P