Community discussions

MikroTik App

gerakon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Is SXT 2 or SXT Lite2 appropriate for connecting outdoor cameras

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:05 pm

Is SXT 2 or SXT Lite2 appropriate for connecting outdoor cameras and maybe a few tablets and phones?

I have a steel building that I can mount an AP on the outside. The 1st camera would be mounted on a light pole about 200ft away. There maybe more cameras mounted up to 500ft away if possible at some point in the future.

I haven't worked with the Sector APs before. Would they work well for this, or is there a different device that would work better?

andyanthoine

Re: Is SXT 2 or SXT Lite2 appropriate for connecting outdoor cameras

Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:22 am

As far as i m concerned, those AP works really well and should be able to make wifi bridge up to 2km. So you should be fine, but maybe contact a salesman for that kind of information.

I m pretty sure DUXTEL (australian vendor), has a tool online to check that kind of thing, you should give it a lookt, the adresse is something like duxtel.shop.com.au if i remember right

edit : http://shop.duxtel.com.au/article_info. ... cles_id=53

gerakon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:37 am

Thanks for the information. That website looks helpful, though I was thinking more of just having 1 sector AP and have the camera, tablets and phones connect directly to the sector AP rather than using 2 sector APs. I'm unsure if that will work or not. I'll see if i can find a salesperson, though I suspect the experience of people on the forums maybe better than the salesperson.

jebz

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:43 am

I was thinking more of just having 1 sector AP and have the camera, tablets and phones connect directly to the sector AP
You need a device with minimum Level 4 license.
RBSXT-G-2HnD: 2.4GHz Dual Pol radio kit with A.P. licence -
http://shop.duxtel.com.au/product_info. ... cts_id=238

Or if the angle is too small a Groove AP with a 120 Deg sector aerial.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:28 am

200ft (60m) is just about the maximum a phone can reach, regardless of the AP you have. Note that in this case, phone wifi antenna will be limiting factor, not the AP.

gerakon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:30 pm

@Jebz Thanks I hadn't noticed that there was a license level that didn't include AP before. I was leaning towards the RBSXT-G-2HnD anyway but still good to know.

@Normis Thanks, Yes i knew phone antennas sucked, but it's nice to have a range to go with it. The phones will very likely be in the area between the camera and the AP, and that's only a minor secondary goal anyway. The customer already purchased larger antennas for the cameras (I don't know what kind, I haven't seen them).

Thanks for all the help everyone.