Community discussions

MikroTik App

HPsenicka
just joined
Topic Author

RB911G-5HPacD performance?

Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:42 pm

Can anyone point me to documentation that describes performance capabilities of the RB911G-5HPacD?

I would like to better understand what kind of performance I can expect using 20Mhz / 40Mhz / 80Mhz configurations.

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: RB911G-5HPacD performance?

Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:51 am

Wireless performance depends on environmental factors such as free space path loss and obstruction path loss and gain of attached antenna and loss of attached coaxial cable at each end.

For ideal 802.11 AC throughputs with various channel widths, search the web for terms along those lines. Wikipedia is always a good place to start. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac AC is a spec so no vendor is going to be different from any other vendor in terms of maximum throughput per channel width under ideal conditions. The differences are in the sensitivity of the receiver which has an impact on how much total path loss you can withstand and still achieve maximum modulation.

The received signal must be x dBm above the ambient noise floor to modulate at a particular rate. I would guess the received signals listed in the table on http://routerboard.com/RB911G-5HPacD assume a noise floor around -100dBm. I don't find many parts of my network where the noise floor is that low. We cover rural, forested, hilly terrain.

The table of ethernet speeds will tell you if you can actually pass as much traffic of your desired mix through the channel width at maximum modulation by setting upper bounds for the CPU for each measured packet size.

If you are connecting two of these to each other via clean coaxial cable with just enough attenuation to keep from destroying to other receiver, we might be able to give you an answer. Otherwise, there are too many variables which you have not provided.