Community discussions

MikroTik App

bakergt
just joined
Topic Author

CRS VLAN Setup

Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:47 am

Hi guys,

I have tried a few times, and cant work out how to put some tagged VLANs on a CRS.

We currently use netgear switches, its as simple as creating a vlan, saying if we want tagged or access and away we go.

E.G.

port 1 Router
port 2-4 VLAN 2 Native, Tagged ports 7-10, 15, 19
Port 5-6 VLAN 3 Native, Tagged ports 7-10, 14 20
port 7-22 vlan1
Port 23-24 Trunk to another CRS

All the guides i have found have me lost in 10-15 min. Im fine with most other MT stuff, but getting these vlans working is killing me!

Thanks heaps for the help!

tirkitneth

Re: CRS VLAN Setup

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:35 pm

Hello

with CRS you have to think about how the packet enters and leaves the switch, what VLAN it belongs to, and what operation you have to do to it.
port 2-4 VLAN 2 Native, Tagged ports 7-10, 15, 19
Here, packets that enter the port without a VLAN tag have to be associated with VLAN 2. That means you have to add the VLAN tag 2. You do that with ingress vlan translation with the current vlan tag = 0 (meaning no tag) and the new vlan tag = 2.
Then when the packets leave the same port and they belong to VLAN 2, you have to remove the VLAN tag. You do that with egress vlan translation with current vlan tag = 2 and new vlan tag = 0.

If packets enter the switch already tagged and you're happy with the tag value, then don't do any ingress vlan translation rule.

If packets exit the switch tagged and you're happy with the tag value, then don't do any egress vlan translation rule.

Also, don't forget this only works if ingress and egress ports have the same master port.

bakergt
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CRS VLAN Setup

Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:20 pm

Thanks heaps for that, i think that should help me out heaps.

What does the CVID do (Customer virtual ID) ? IS that to allow the same vlan ID on the same switch?

I think these switches are just geared too much up to use as a simple network switch.