Community discussions

MikroTik App

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Newsletter 71

Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:25 pm

LGH 5 maybe very cheap but is really of no use to us when you cannot adjust vertical axis and I cannot believe its held onto a mast with 2 jubilee clips?
To be honest, LHG is made as simple and lightweight as possible, to keep the cost affordable for everyone. We also have DynaDish and QRT that have more advanced mounting options.

The LHG has a 5 degree angle adjustment insert, can be used to tilt up or down:
costarica30.jpg
Aha, interesting! That will work.

By all means, the price gap between LGH 5 and DynaDish/QRT is way to big. Its 3 times more. We need a unit -in-between- or bring the price of the Dyna down. You'll see sales pickup inmediately!

karina

Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:17 pm

Fanstastic news. no more bolting sxt's to satellite dishes. Can't wait to get some here in Spain

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:54 am

Fanstastic news. no more bolting sxt's to satellite dishes. Can't wait to get some here in Spain
Where in Spain RU?

karina

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:31 am

Cannot believe so many are saying it needs this it needs that. You are missing the point. Its a cost effective solution for longer range connections where an SXT is not good enough and the next step up is too expensive. It fills a perfect niche. You get what you pay for and this is a nice package for the price. Mikrotik understand the WISP world is struggling to compete with big telco. every buck saved helps us keep an edge. So what if its held on the pole with two Jubilee clips. You want a better clamp you pay more.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Re:

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:29 pm

Actual CPU like QCA9531 can provide more than 400 Mbps in duplex mode.
its only possible if you run it in "dumb" configuraton, stripping off all sane firewall rules, options and routing config, no vlan for you not tunneling.
which is possible frankly-speaking only in corporate invironment, not in ISP setup(unless its your Home CPE. then its becom you and Only you problems, legally-speaking)
going fastpath and fasttrack - speed up things a bit further, but even with that - that not reach 1Gbps yet, but close to.
so far in sane configuration AC and AX wifi - need Really powerful process to drive/power it. and radios for that - become more complex too, actually, more channels, bands, but more sophisticated HW and FW - improve things even for legacy modes a lot, especially for long links.
thats one of reasons why xBSD and L-UX - based forks within hand-made x86 routers(in slim/shut mITX, STX cases with ext PSU) put beside/after MT bridges - become popular combo for WISP. price/performance ratio, you can't put CCR in some places( both budget and size-wise)/setups.
similarly xBSD and L-UX BRAS setup also popular among entry-level ISP for fiber and copper enpoints too, btw.
thats slowly evolved in most of as i can see, but idea remain popular for same reason i guess.
Last edited by Zorro on Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:47 pm

I don't want to negative and must welcome the unit but it has shortcoming in that a 24dB antenna has 8° max tx/rx beamwidth so from center its 4° and if you put a fixed 5° angle adjustment you could have positioned the antenna outside maximum power beam ?

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:54 pm

Cannot believe so many are saying it needs this it needs that. You are missing the point. Its a cost effective solution for longer range connections where an SXT is not good enough and the next step up is too expensive. It fills a perfect niche. You get what you pay for and this is a nice package for the price. Mikrotik understand the WISP world is struggling to compete with big telco. every buck saved helps us keep an edge. So what if its held on the pole with two Jubilee clips. You want a better clamp you pay more.
We would be happy to pay more for better axis alignment if and when it becomes available!

UncleJupiter
just joined

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:20 pm

LGH 5 maybe very cheap but is really of no use to us when you cannot adjust vertical axis and I cannot believe its held onto a mast with 2 jubilee clips?
To be honest, LHG is made as simple and lightweight as possible, to keep the cost affordable for everyone. We also have DynaDish and QRT that have more advanced mounting options.

Normis, I do not think it is useful that insert. How can we tilt the antenna degree by degree looking at the received signal live?
I know it is a CPE and not a PTP but the HPBW is 7°, so we must point the antenna! What happens if the AP is more than 5° + 3.5°=8.5° up?

Just to be clear, I was awaiting this device for years! In the last months I even was thinking to switch all the CPEs (and BS) to the competitor ... nut I'm disappointed looking at the bracket :(

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:01 am

Normis, I do not think it is useful that insert. How can we tilt the antenna degree by degree looking at the received signal live?
I know it is a CPE and not a PTP but the HPBW is 7°, so we must point the antenna! What happens if the AP is more than 5° + 3.5°=8.5° up?

Just to be clear, I was awaiting this device for years! In the last months I even was thinking to switch all the CPEs (and BS) to the competitor ... nut I'm disappointed looking at the bracket :(
I totally agree and as i have pointed out alignment is critical in higher gain antenna's - its a pity they haven't offered as optional extra a good two axis heavy duty bracket

UncleJupiter
just joined

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:19 pm

Normis, could you tell us what is the distance between the two brackets behind the LHG?
Maybe we can recycle the Ubi-bracket in order to tilt the antenna but we should know if the "minipole" is long enough to tight the two LHG brackets.

This is the Ubi-Bracket:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Łukasz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:45 pm

Normis, could you tell us what is the distance between the two brackets behind the LHG?
Maybe we can recycle the Ubi-bracket in order to tilt the antenna but we should know if the "minipole" is long enough to tight the two LHG brackets.:
The distance is about 74mm.
I am not sure that this bracket can hold LHG in a strong wind.

Normis, for what is 4 holes in the center of dish LHG?

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:43 am

AC would be more important than gigabit, so the access-points can be set to only-AC, and not A/N/AC.
its time to consider to be ready for AX i think.
which mean shift from 2x core to 4x core SoC within even low-end stations and routers. even low-freq ARM(coolest option was ARM A35 4x chips. A32 had ~ same powe budget and size, price, but Notably slower) or MIPS64, PPC(OpenPower9 chips quite lightweight, seems and cheaper than PPC was before).
and low-end option become 1004k MIPS32 chips they 2x-4x core and thanks to HT had 4x to 8x streams respectively("virtual cores" like on x86) which provide considerably boost and cost nearly as A9 ARM chips and 74k/1074k chips(especially from Mediatek).

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:20 am

I think it's more likely we would see Qualcomm IPQ

letabawireless
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu May 05, 2016 1:37 pm

Maybe not entirely related, but spectral scan missing on AC makes the units very unappealing to us. We have high noise areas (shared among other WISPs) and we have to stick with normal a/n for our back haul, as we cannot get to see where is open space for 80mhz. We have recently started implementing Mimosa B5c with some very good results, and it also has a continuos spectral scan running. Such a pity, Mikrotik, please can you do something about it ? We actually have 6 AC Basebox collecting dust because of this.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 06, 2016 11:42 am

Maybe not entirely related, but spectral scan missing on AC makes the units very unappealing to us. We have high noise areas (shared among other WISPs) and we have to stick with normal a/n for our back haul, as we cannot get to see where is open space for 80mhz. We have recently started implementing Mimosa B5c with some very good results, and it also has a continuos spectral scan running. Such a pity, Mikrotik, please can you do something about it ? We actually have 6 AC Basebox collecting dust because of this.
I can only agree 200% with you. We are in the same boat although not (yet) went to other provider for our backhauls. We fit an extra SXT 'n' unit in the direction to do scans.

Then also to say, most backhauls are running better on 'n' anyway then 'ac'. Same units, same power, same frquency and on 'n' QoS is better and sustained conn. rates are at least one level higher.

We only have one backhaul link no running on 'ac' with 80Mhz wide channel which is off course not possible with 'n'.

All our other backhauls are kept at 'n' and in some instances we'd prefer to use two full redundant links with OSPF simulated duplex traffic. (one uplink in 10Mhz with 20Mhz downlink, or 20/40 links...) Works good although it give more puzzling in finding free channels...

notToNew
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 09, 2016 10:16 am

I just hope that the next version of the hap ac will get at least 32MB of NAND.

nassim
just joined

Fri May 13, 2016 6:46 pm

This has just come to the Brazilian Market, has anyone used this product already, it sounds like a really good deal. We plan to use it in a metropolitan region in a PTMP with a non ac CPE. For us this is great.
Did anyone install this product in a metropolitan region and has some data to share: throughput, CCQ, etc.