Community discussions

MikroTik App

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Newsletter 75, January 2017

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:53 pm

How much more expensive? Compared to other decent manufacturers the MTs are very cheap, at least in the Brazilian market. I believe there are many customers willing to pay a little more for performance and features. I would be.
Hardly believe MT can not afford to put any decent CPU into this switch.
It's likely the switch chip they put into this device already has some CPU capable of running some lightweight management interface.
for small money.
This is the key. Putting another (more powerful) CPU in addition to what's already inside will make device more expensive.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:18 pm

Adding built-in power supply...
I was talking about CPU, not PSU...

upower3

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:23 pm

I was talking about CPU, not PSU...
I got that, my point was that for any kind of rack-mount hardware it may be better to have good PSU and decent CPU and RAM so this device can be relied upon. I had some trouble mounting about ten of such a switches in a single rack since I got manage to connect these external cheap PSUs in a respective PDU.

By the way, these MT switches have plenty of room inside their cases to place internal PSU inside.

Adding more RAM won't play that much with the price, too. This clearly a way to prevent converting switches into routers, not the thing MT can be proud of.

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Need a home AP LTE device

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk
We will have a WAP LTE Kit this year.
WAP LTE Lit: Already scheduled for release?
Look this:!!
https://routerboard.com/RBwAPR-2nD

The bad thing is that it is incomplete.

upower3

Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:57 pm

https://routerboard.com/RBwAPR-2nD
The bad thing is that it is incomplete.
Why do you call it incomplete?

I definetely not sure fif this device can survive that hard ambient temperature (with heavy raid/snow added, or burning sun with sand storm) but definetely worth to look at.

Why I'm sad is that general low cost devices are pretty weak to handle even 100M of incoming traffic, not even mention of doing IPSec at this speed. So in fact if you like to work with 100+ Mb speed you'll need CCR as a router and APs.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Why do you call it incomplete?
I guess juliokato called it incomplete because it is meant to be used as an LTE client, has LTE antennas builtin, but does not have LTE card installed/soldered, so you have to purchase it separately (there's a miniPCI-e slot for that). Having said that, this kind of "incompleteness" has its advantages, you can choose a decently priced card that supports the band you need.

Edit: I've just checked the product brochure out, it turns out three versions are available:
  1. RBwAPR-2nD&R11e-LTE - includes LTE modem for bands 1,2,3,7,8,20,38 and 40.
  2. RBwAPR-2nD&R11e-LTE-US - includes LTE modem for bands 2,4,5 and 12.
  3. RBwAPr-2nD - just the router, no LTE hardware installed (empty slot to install your own card into).