Community discussions

null31
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: v6.43rc [release candidate] is released!

Thu May 24, 2018 3:33 am

Can you tell me where I find the procedure?
http://www.mikrotik.com.my/reinstalling ... rial-port/

This is better explained than the MikroTik's wiki.

squeeze
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 24, 2018 4:54 am

Loving the priority on security improvements. Keep it coming!

oraculo
just joined

Thu May 24, 2018 4:57 am

Unfortunately I did not succeed, mikrotik is bricked, it was not possible to use netinstall

yhfung
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 24, 2018 6:02 am

strods,

After having upgraded to rc17, I was no longer to login in the hAP ac^2 via WinBox 3.13. When I use the alternative way "using Webfig", after several trails, I could be able to login in.

However I can login the router using the old WinBox software of version 2.2.18.

Using the new WinBox 3.14rc version, I am able to login the system.

YH
Last edited by yhfung on Thu May 24, 2018 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

nsdadmin
just joined

Thu May 24, 2018 6:23 am

Thanks. This solved my issue. Would it be helpful for the router / winbox to do a version match check before authentication to avoid the erroneous User/Password errors?
You should not install RC versions when you don't or cannot read the release notes and the announcements here on the forum!
Normally I would have been more careful, but only an rc version higher than what I already had - I was careless. Glad it was easily rectified. That said, I'm just giving a user experience improvement suggestion. Don't bite, we're all professionals here.

Xymox

Thu May 24, 2018 7:53 am

Really Mikrotik ?!?!? RC17 lost user/password ?? Im locked out.. Netinstall ?? REALLY ?!?!

After all the 42.1 mess and now this.. What happened to the super stable trustworthy Mikrotik I knew ?

Luckily I have 41.4 in a separate partition and I believe I can make that partition active using the boot menu..

Plus there is all this talk of VPNFilter.. Plus ive had some really weird disk space issues across all hardware platforms.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/23 ... worldwide/

Doing Mikrotik has gotten seriously perilous over the last few months.

eddieb
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 24, 2018 8:06 am

Note that release candidate versions are published strictly for testing purposes and should not be used on production routers.
This quote says it all ...
rc releases are BETA releases, don't use it if you can't lose it !
Running 6.45.2 (stable) on :
CCR1009-8G-1S (2x ipsec/l2tp site-to-site, ipsec/l2tp roadwarrior, dhcpd, dns), CRS125-24G-1S, RB1100, RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT (10pc), RB931-2nD, RB951, RB750GL ,RB2011UAS-RM, CHR running dude (CHR running in VirtualBox on OSX)

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 24, 2018 8:26 am

Hello MikroTik team,
could you please provide more details - what performance improvements have been done, what is the new maximal achievable distance and what exactly is distance lock?

Thank you in advance.
Love it! Wireless Wire keeps getting better.
What's "distance lock" though?
Distance was limited with frame lifetime, this limitation now is removed. We reworked RX pattern part to utilize it more efficiently. In some channels link can be established over 2km distance.

Xymox

Thu May 24, 2018 8:52 am

I can confirm old versions of Winbox work if you are locked out..

I have attached a Winbox from 2010 that works..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Xymox

Thu May 24, 2018 8:58 am

Note that release candidate versions are published strictly for testing purposes and should not be used on production routers.
This quote says it all ...
rc releases are BETA releases, don't use it if you can't lose it !
Its not a issue for me. I can Netinstall in my sleep and I always keep a stable in a partition.. Thats not my point.. A Release Candidate should at least be checked that it does not lock out users. Ive been doing Mikrotik RCs for 8 years and the severity of the errors recently is way off the charts VS the last 8 years.

genesispro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 24, 2018 11:04 am

same issue here that couldn't login after upgrade... I also used the old winbox and it worked. I don't know where to download winbox 3.14 rc

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 24, 2018 11:07 am

Link to Winbox rc is in the above post, where RC is announced. Please all read the posts. It is not that hard.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

owsugde
just joined

Thu May 24, 2018 11:15 am

Also got enticed to install rc17 because of features and fixes but then couldn't login. Old Winbox did work though. Thanks for the tip!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 24, 2018 11:17 am

Link to Winbox rc is in the above post, where RC is announced. Please all read the posts. It is not that hard.
It would be better to move that link (and the text) to the changelog so people who update from their router without reading this thread will also see it.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 24, 2018 11:20 am

Unfortunately I did not succeed, mikrotik is bricked, it was not possible to use netinstall
Usually when people claim "router is bricked, netinstall does not work" it simply means they do not do the netinstall correctly as they have never done it before and thus do not know what to expect.
It is not a good idea to install an RC version when you don't have experience with using netinstall.

genesispro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 24, 2018 11:31 am

Indeed it was there, it does work... Thank you
It is indeed not that hard but some times we are not given the "gift of time" to read all pages of all posts. I would try to edit and stick it to the first post or some place "sticky" since 20 people asked the same think to help us (not having too much time always)

Thank you again

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 24, 2018 11:32 am

It is indeed not that hard but some times we are not given the "gift of time" to read all pages of all posts. I would try to edit and stick it to the first post or some place "sticky" since 20 people asked the same think to help us (not having too much time always)

Thank you again
At least read the RC announcement post by MikroTik staff. RC versions CAN and often DO break things. RC is for testing, so reading notes is important.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

genesispro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 24, 2018 12:40 pm

I have a feeling that the API calls cannot authenticate now!

jlzoroa
just joined

Thu May 24, 2018 3:22 pm

Hello

I have installed V6.43rc 17 in RB750 but It show message "Wrong user or password" using diferents Winbox Versions, I write user admin and password empty. I reset RB750 several times but It does not work.

Could you help me?

Thanks in advance.

diegotormes
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu May 24, 2018 5:13 pm

Thank you again
At least read the RC announcement post by MikroTik staff. RC versions CAN and often DO break things. RC is for testing, so reading notes is important.
Hi Normis.

Mikrotik must implement automated tests ASAP. You must stop breaking things even in rc versions. The only way to make high quality software is doing a lot of test...since unit test, integration test, UI test, E2E test, etc. Launch a new version (even a RC) whitout automated testing is an irresponsability, at least in 2018. You are wasting time and energy, on this forum discussing bugs with your end users when you must use this forum to talk about improvements and new features.

BR,
Diego.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 24, 2018 5:37 pm

You are wasting time and energy, on this forum discussing bugs with your end users when you must use this forum to talk about improvements and new features.
These are two different forums :)
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

WebLuke
just joined

Thu May 24, 2018 8:03 pm

I have been trying to get better Transmit speeds on our cAP AC's, the v6.43rc17 dose not improve anything, or stabilize the connection. When doing a speed test I should see 200+Mbps U/D but only getting 12-25Mbps Download and 120-160Mbps Upload. When looking at the TX Rate of in Wireless Registration jumps all over the place from 6Mbps-200Mbps-40MHz, the RX is normally much higher around 300-650Mbps consistently. I have done testing with both my phone and laptop, the phone a Google Pixel 2X will be stationary on my desk 15-20FT from the access point with only open air between it. I have seen a lot of other posts talking about pore performance on multiple APs recently and no real solutions. I have also tried iperf3 tests with a little better numbers in the past but nothing close to what is the expected numbers.

Also for those too lazy to read where to get the new winbox.exe here you go: https://www.mikrotik.com/download/share/winbox.exe that link was not in the update text of the package manager, but was in the post about the latest release. 8)

genesispro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 24, 2018 8:04 pm

Did anyone manage to use api calls with this version? My php api fails to login (similar to the winbox problem)

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 24, 2018 8:14 pm

Also for those too lazy to read where to get the new winbox.exe here you go: https://www.mikrotik.com/download/share/winbox.exe that link was not in the update text of the package manager, but was in the post about the latest release. 8)
Is now mentioned at the top of the posting. The original communication was sub par.

I skip this version(s) till I feel confident that the risk to loose my device is low enough.
Two RB760iGS (hEX S) in series. One does PPPoE/IKEv2 and the other does the rest of the tasks.
Running:
RouterOS 6.46Beta / Winbox 3.19 / MikroTik APP 1.2.10
Having an Android device, use https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard/releases no root required

Xymox

Thu May 24, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi Normis.

Mikrotik must implement automated tests ASAP. You must stop breaking things even in rc versions. The only way to make high quality software is doing a lot of test...since unit test, integration test, UI test, E2E test, etc. Launch a new version (even a RC) whitout automated testing is an irresponsability, at least in 2018.

BR,
Diego.
Honestly, I dont understand what has happened. Something really changed at Mikrotik. Ive been doing RCs for 8+ years. For 7+ years the RCs were as stable as the stable version. ALMOST NO BUGS OR ISSUES. Suddenly in the last like 3-4 months things have really taken a turn in a bad direction. So much so im now buying Ubiquity. The 42.1 "stable" release was abhorrent and bug ridden in ways that were inexplicable. DHCP client did not work in a "stable" release for example. The change log from 42.1 to 42.2 is stunning. They took away a feature that was critical to me and had been in RouterOS for more then 8 years, Netwatch. For me Mikrotik seems to have become untrustworthy as almost anything could break, even in "stable" releases. Features might be taken away with no notice or explanation. Mikrotik is not addressing any of this in the forums. They need to post a apology for causing so much money loss for on site visits to Netinstall "Stable" 42.2 updates. Ive got a reproducable issue now im dealing with support on where disc space is lost during a update. If you upgrade or downgrade this can occur and if you do it twice you can no longer upgrade or downgrade and your only way is to then go on site and netinstall. This occurs on Tile, MIPSBE and PPC so far that I know of and occurs in the "stable" 42.x and when upgrading from RC14 to 17. 10MB is lost in disc space with each upgrade/downgrade. It appears some file or files is not being deleted in a update. OR. Some file is being generated. Ive given Mikrotik remote access to the router to look at it. It should be simple, log in, and with thier special access go look at files and see whats taking up too much space.

Things are a huge mess.

Ive ALWAYS used and LOVED Mikrotik products. So I keep hoping it will get worked out and we will get back to super stable. Locking out all users updating to RC17 does not look good. It really appears zero testing was done. Did no one at Mikrotik upgrade and login ?

Sorry for my rant. I love Mikrotik, but, we gotta get things back to super stable again. Till then I have all my production routers on 6.41.4 as that was really the last truly STABLE STABLE.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 24, 2018 11:26 pm

Ive been doing RCs for 8+ years. For 7+ years the RCs were as stable as the stable version.
You are exaggerating "a bit". Mikrotik started releasing public RCs since mid-2015 (since v6.32 or 6.31, but definitely not earlier), which means you could not have been using RCs for more then 3 years. And final versions before that time were just horrible. Introduction of the release channels was a huge improvement in their release management, bugfix channel brought stability that had never been seen before. And RCs... well, their main purpose (as with any beta software) is to break early.
The 42.1 "stable" release was abhorrent and bug ridden in ways that were inexplicable.
The current stable version is 6.40.8 (the latest one in the BugFix release channel). The version 6.42.2 (and 6.42.1 before that) has been release in the Current release channel, which means it is not yet considered stable enough.

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 25, 2018 1:49 am

Hi Normis.

Mikrotik must implement automated tests ASAP. You must stop breaking things even in rc versions. The only way to make high quality software is doing a lot of test...since unit test, integration test, UI test, E2E test, etc. Launch a new version (even a RC) whitout automated testing is an irresponsability, at least in 2018.

BR,
Diego.
Honestly, I dont understand what has happened. Something really changed at Mikrotik. Ive been doing RCs for 8+ years. For 7+ years the RCs were as stable as the stable version. ALMOST NO BUGS OR ISSUES. Suddenly in the last like 3-4 months things have really taken a turn in a bad direction. So much so im now buying Ubiquity. The 42.1 "stable" release was abhorrent and bug ridden in ways that were inexplicable. DHCP client did not work in a "stable" release for example. The change log from 42.1 to 42.2 is stunning. They took away a feature that was critical to me and had been in RouterOS for more then 8 years, Netwatch. For me Mikrotik seems to have become untrustworthy as almost anything could break, even in "stable" releases. Features might be taken away with no notice or explanation. Mikrotik is not addressing any of this in the forums. They need to post a apology for causing so much money loss for on site visits to Netinstall "Stable" 42.2 updates. Ive got a reproducable issue now im dealing with support on where disc space is lost during a update. If you upgrade or downgrade this can occur and if you do it twice you can no longer upgrade or downgrade and your only way is to then go on site and netinstall. This occurs on Tile, MIPSBE and PPC so far that I know of and occurs in the "stable" 42.x and when upgrading from RC14 to 17. 10MB is lost in disc space with each upgrade/downgrade. It appears some file or files is not being deleted in a update. OR. Some file is being generated. Ive given Mikrotik remote access to the router to look at it. It should be simple, log in, and with thier special access go look at files and see whats taking up too much space.

Things are a huge mess.

Ive ALWAYS used and LOVED Mikrotik products. So I keep hoping it will get worked out and we will get back to super stable. Locking out all users updating to RC17 does not look good. It really appears zero testing was done. Did no one at Mikrotik upgrade and login ?

Sorry for my rant. I love Mikrotik, but, we gotta get things back to super stable again. Till then I have all my production routers on 6.41.4 as that was really the last truly STABLE STABLE.

To both: If you want stability, stick to Bugfix channel. If you want the latest features (which very possibly will have bugs), follow the Current channel. And if you want the bleeding edge, go for RC versions. But if you go for either Current or -and especially- RC, please do NOT complain about things breaking. You have been warned.

Since you mentioned UBNT, they run a very closed alpha testing train, a partially open beta testing train and public stable releases. These correspond to RC, Current and Bugfix, even though it is not a perfect analogy. Also, have you seen a recent UBNT changelog? Have you seen its length? How can this compare to the length of last two years' Mikrotik changelogs? You cannot have it all - many new features and perfect stability.

This comes from a guy who have criticised MT for aspects of their software development. But some of their decisions, like introducing different channels and speeding up development, were right and have brought tangible results.
Passionate about networks
Enthusiastic about Mikrotik
MTCNA | MTCRE | MTCINE

No trees were killed to send this message,
but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Bergante
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 25, 2018 9:13 am

Ive been doing RCs for 8+ years. For 7+ years the RCs were as stable as the stable version.
You are exaggerating "a bit". Mikrotik started releasing public RCs since mid-2015 (since v6.32 or 6.31, but definitely not earlier), which means you could not have been using RCs for more then 3 years. And final versions before that time were just horrible. Introduction of the release channels was a huge improvement in their release management, bugfix channel brought stability that had never been seen before. And RCs... well, their main purpose (as with any beta software) is to break early.
I agree with you. I've been playing with rc versions since they introduced the release channels. I have shot myself in the balls several times with them requiring a netinstall and some voodoo.

And indeed, since they introduced the release channels the situation has improved a lot.

If you agree to play in the bleeding edge go for the rc versions. Otherwise stay with the safest ones. But be aware that rc versions, despite working well most of the time, can still break stuff!

strods
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2018 1:00 pm

In order to access router running this version by Winbox, please download v3.14rc Winbox loader from here:
https://www.mikrotik.com/download/share/winbox.exe

Version 6.43rc19 has been released.

Before an upgrade:
1) Remember to make backup/export files before an upgrade and save them on another storage device;
2) Make sure the device will not lose power during upgrade process;
3) Device has enough free storage space for all RouterOS packages to be downloaded.

Changes since previous rc release:

*) api - changed authentication process (https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:API#Initial_login);
*) bridge - fixed FastPath for bridge master interfaces (introduce in v6.42);
*) chr - fixed adding MSTI entries;
*) dhcpv6-client - added missing "Server identifier" parameter in release message;
*) kidcontrol - fixed dynamically created firewall rules order;
*) lte - added extended signal information for Quectel LTE EC25 and EP06 modem;
*) lte - added ICCID reading for info command R11e-LTE and R11e-LTE-US (CLI only);
*) user - all passwords are now hashed and encrypted, plaintext passwords are kept for downgrade (will be removed in later upgrades);
*) w60g - added distance measurement (CLI only);
If you experience version related issues, then please send supout file from your router to support@mikrotik.com. File must be generated while router is not working as expected or after crash.

In order to access router running this version by Winbox, please download v3.14rc Winbox loader from here:

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 25, 2018 1:03 pm

API authentication method have changed, see API manual:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:API#Initial_login

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 25, 2018 1:56 pm

Is it to be expected that using this new winbox on older releases (6.42.2) causes problems?
I see some fields that are read-only in that situation, and amongst them is the field to select the release channel.
So when accessing a router that is running 6.42.2 and is set to current I cannot change that to release candidate.
With the older 3.13 version that field can be changed as normal.

genesispro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 25, 2018 2:29 pm

I modified it and it seams to work but....
One of my first commands is to modify the username and password but I get a failure that
failure: user name can't be changed
did you lock the admin user from not being able to change? That would be weird, wouldn't it?

Thank you

strods
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2018 2:30 pm

Basically the last two RouterOS versions have been released for testing purposes for everything besides Winbox. We are working on a new Winbox version and have provided rc version earlier within this topic. When 6.43 and Winbox 3.14 will be released, then both of them will work together just fine. Read-only fields issue will be resolved in next Winbox release.

genesispro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 25, 2018 2:42 pm

Basically the last two RouterOS versions have been released for testing purposes for everything besides Winbox. We are working on a new Winbox version and have provided rc version earlier within this topic. When 6.43 and Winbox 3.14 will be released, then both of them will work together just fine. Read-only fields issue will be resolved in next Winbox release.
Is that why I can't modify the username via API?
Will it stay like that?
if yes I would then need to create a new user in my provisioning platform and disable the default user (admin)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 25, 2018 2:55 pm

When 6.43 and Winbox 3.14 will be released, then both of them will work together just fine.
And will the new Winbox then still support older RouterOS versions?
This time I first upgraded Winbox and expected to be able to manage my existing routers and upgrade one of them, however that failed as I cannot change the release channel.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 25, 2018 2:58 pm

You can change release channel, just close the window and open open it again.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 25, 2018 3:46 pm

How secure is plaintext password over insecure connection?.. Will there be any change in it back to challenge-response auth?

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 25, 2018 3:48 pm

For secure connection use api-ssl

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 25, 2018 4:31 pm

Will there be any change in it back to challenge-response auth?
In general, challenge-response auth protocols require the availability of the unhashed password on the router and that is what is being removed for security reasons.
There are tricks around that but those protocols are often regarded as not very secure either.

GLUIMAIGINE
just joined

Fri May 25, 2018 5:04 pm

Please Help! I upgraded to 6.43rc17, could not enter and reset the settings. Now I can not go in with a new winbox, not with an old winbox. Version of the nethinstall that is needed to update, I could not find on the download page.

tigro11
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 25, 2018 5:10 pm

Please Help! I upgraded to 6.43rc17, could not enter and reset the settings. Now I can not go in with a new winbox, not with an old winbox. Version of the nethinstall that is needed to update, I could not find on the download page.

GLUIMAIGINE
just joined

Fri May 25, 2018 5:18 pm

New winbox does not work! Wrong password!

tigro11
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 25, 2018 5:57 pm

download/file.php?id=32109

GLUIMAIGINE
just joined

Fri May 25, 2018 6:07 pm

download/file.php?id=32109
There is an error with this version of winbox::"could not get index missing file".

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 25, 2018 6:23 pm

+ generate your own certificate to exclude MitM
+ check that cert is your cert...
In general, challenge-response auth protocols require the availability of the unhashed password on the router and that is what is being removed for security reasons.
There are tricks around that but those protocols are often regarded as not very secure either.
Why can't router send, for example, salt of the password hash + some challenge, and then client uses that salt to generate hashed password and HMAC with challenge to generate response?

dada
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 25, 2018 6:39 pm

implementing SSL in our utilities is a problem (time etc). Since the API is proprietary protocol the login phase could be easily changed to not send plain text password and still allow you in the RouterOS to store only hashed passwords. Just make the 'challenge' hash from the hashed password not from plaintext one. If the password hash is easily usable one (i.e. if we can use it in our scripts to create the hash from password the same way the ROS does) it should work fine.

sebasprimeau
just joined

Fri May 25, 2018 6:54 pm

I have lost winbox acces since i upgraded to version 17
I still can log via ssh, webfig ...
Do I need to change something?

Thanks

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 25, 2018 6:56 pm

Sure. Newer winbox.

GLUIMAIGINE
just joined

Fri May 25, 2018 7:57 pm

Anyone have netinstall for 6.43rc17?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 25, 2018 8:00 pm

That version has been withdrawn. You would not want to install that! Get the 6.43rc19