Community discussions

MikroTik App

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: v6.42.7 [current] is released!

Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:35 am

By now the only thing you likely can do is netinstall and reconfigure.
You COULD have repartitioned the device into 2 partitions and copy the old version so you could revert back
But that is too late now.

rjj
just joined

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:19 am

By now the only thing you likely can do is netinstall and reconfigure.
You COULD have repartitioned the device into 2 partitions and copy the old version so you could revert back
But that is too late now.
Tks for your support here!
To be honest here I´m frustrated due I never saw a software upgrade crash the entire system it doesn´t make any sense nowadays.
Also, netinstall as unique option who requests a entire new deploymment...it´s frustrating... Of course I´m going to use config backups but it should never damage and crash the ENTIRE system like this.
I was looking for some other paths before appeal for something radical. Netconfig is limitted due it´s mandatory Windows PC and we use only Macbooks so another issue here.
I would recommend someone update ASAP the RN/upgrade notes informing minimumm supported versions upgrades.
Please, do you know what´s the minimum supported version in order to go to v6.42.7?
Also please who knows about mother-board upgrade X system upgrade? Any docs?
Thanks for your attention I really appreciate!

ac6529
just joined

Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Netconfig is limitted due it´s mandatory Windows PC and we use only Macbooks so another issue here.
If it's any help, I have succeeded doing a couple of netinstalls using Windows running in a virtual machine on a Mac.
So basically you could take a trial of VMware, install W10 in it as a trial, recover your router and then get rid of the hypervisor and windows without spending a dime.

rjj
just joined

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:18 pm

Netconfig is limitted due it´s mandatory Windows PC and we use only Macbooks so another issue here.
If it's any help, I have succeeded doing a couple of netinstalls using Windows running in a virtual machine on a Mac.
So basically you could take a trial of VMware, install W10 in it as a trial, recover your router and then get rid of the hypervisor and windows without spending a dime.
Yes, make sense thank you for your contribution. The vendor should take care about this and create easily paths to do things. In this case I need to install Virtual environment + install entire OS just to be compliance to a limited netconfig..it doesn´t make any sense nowadays. Someone from the vendor (engineeer and product managers) must be reviewing that.
All of this is because there is a poor docs/new releases infos missing minimum or tested software version upgrade and also there is SPOF during upgrading process where the entire systems CRASH. Many others vendors roll-back automatically to previous version and at least give a console warning message please upgrade to x before that. It´s basic!
Anyway, thanks for your hint here!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:46 pm

Many others vendors roll-back automatically to previous version and at least give a console warning message please upgrade to x before that. It´s basic!
As I already wrote, you could have had that! But on MikroTik it is a user-decision to yield half of the fash capacity to have version rollback.
See this: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Partitions

In short: click on partition, select repartition, set number of partitions to 2.
The router will reboot and now instead of 128MB you will have 64MB of flash.
Go back to partition, select a partition and then "copy to", select the other partition.
Now you do your upgrade. When the router fails to boot, it will try boot from the other partition and you are back
in your old version, which you can copy again to try something else.

Apparently most users do not know that, and it is becoming less interesting as all new low-end routers do not have enough flash space to do this.
However, for your CCR it still was and is an option. I use it on the two CCRs I manage and it already has saved me.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:14 am

@rjj

If you does not like it the way MikroTik do it, you can always go for another vendor like Cisco.
But it would be at a much higher cost.

rjj
just joined

Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Many others vendors roll-back automatically to previous version and at least give a console warning message please upgrade to x before that. It´s basic!
As I already wrote, you could have had that! But on MikroTik it is a user-decision to yield half of the fash capacity to have version rollback.
See this: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Partitions

In short: click on partition, select repartition, set number of partitions to 2.
The router will reboot and now instead of 128MB you will have 64MB of flash.
Go back to partition, select a partition and then "copy to", select the other partition.
Now you do your upgrade. When the router fails to boot, it will try boot from the other partition and you are back
in your old version, which you can copy again to try something else.

Apparently most users do not know that, and it is becoming less interesting as all new low-end routers do not have enough flash space to do this.
However, for your CCR it still was and is an option. I use it on the two CCRs I manage and it already has saved me.
Thanks for the tip and the link. It was crystal clear on your previous post even it's manually and limited to specific systems so I'm going to start and use when it's possible. From my point of view I highly recommend the vendor implement for all systems by default in order to avoid upgrades issues, downtimes, field hours and the most import eliminate the SPoF. It never should be a user decision in my opinion. Nowadays even 8 ports basic switchs support 2 images (primary-secondary) automatically managed. I really appreciate your time and tips! Tomorrow I'll be on-site fixing the issue.
Last edited by rjj on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rjj
just joined

Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:58 pm

@rjj

If you does not like it the way MikroTik do it, you can always go for another vendor like Cisco.
But it would be at a much higher cost.
I know my options so you don't need waste time to tell the obvious.
This is a serious reflection about troubleshooting, architecture and documentations.

K1w1user

Re: v6.42.7 [current] is released! ssh and winbox issue

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:49 am

I just upgraded a new RB3011 from 6.40 to 6.42.7 and now find I can no longer ssh or winbox over a pptp link.

Confirmed by testing, then upgrading a second RB2011 from an older 6.3x to 6.42.7.

Torch shows inbound traffic but no outbound response.

Is this a new "security" measure?

Mark.

emils
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:53 am

New version 6.43 has been released in current RouterOS channel:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=138995