Community discussions

MikroTik App

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: v6.42.9 [long-term] is released!

Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:33 pm

Bridge always worked that way and if suddenly bridge with inactive (no ports) will not have running flag, it will break all configurations with loopbacks and other configurations where bridge is used as dummy interface.
Well, there can be an option to choose the desired behaviour: to leave a running flag no matter what, or to monitor the state of slave interfaces.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:46 pm

Bridge always worked that way and if suddenly bridge with inactive (no ports) will not have running flag, it will break all configurations with loopbacks and other configurations where bridge is used as dummy interface.
Exactly, that's why I called that an option. Not default one :)

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:32 pm

Unfortunately, it looks like default configuration is not properly generated on 6.42.8 and 6.42.9 versions. A workaround is to upgrade your router to the latest stable or testing builds and reset configuration then. We will definitely resolve the issue in the next long-term version. Sorry for any inconvenience.
amazing how launch long-term version and you guys introduce a failure of these.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:40 pm

I put one bridge on the whole chip, created 2 VLANs with the same subnet, but DHCP does not work for one of them (DHCP server on the bridge).

vodokotlic
just joined

Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:32 pm

This is my first version running a new bridge, don't know if it's a known bug.
RB951G-2HnD running as just a Switch/AP (all ethernet+wlan ports under one switch/bridge, no vlans, no nat).
If I change the mac address of an ethernet port while it's a member of a switch/bridge, most of the OS will hang. Switch will continue to pass traffic (on other ports) and the system clock runs but pretty much everything else is frozen.
Device does not respond to /system reboot or reboot via winbox and needs to be power cycled to restore full function. (Crappy situation if the device is on a remote location)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:40 pm

Does it happen when you change MAC address of just any member port or does it happen only when you change MAC address of a port which previously had same MAC address as bridge?

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:45 pm

I have reported this issue earlier and it has been fixed in 6.44beta14.

Sadly it has not been merged to stable yet.

Edit: This issue => referring to device lockup when changing MAC address.
Last edited by nescafe2002 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ivanfm

Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:12 pm

In the migration from master to bridge you have break an always working configuration that really makes sense.
Create an option the the bridge with default to keep running anyway, and selection to stop running if no attached port is running.

vodokotlic
just joined

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:38 pm

Quote original post:
RB951G-2HnD running as just a Switch/AP (all ethernet+wlan ports under one switch/bridge, no vlans, no nat).
If I change the mac address of an ethernet port while it's a member of a switch/bridge, most of the OS will hang. Switch will continue to pass traffic (on other ports) and the system clock runs but pretty much everything else is frozen.
Device does not respond to /system reboot or reboot via winbox and needs to be power cycled to restore full function. (Crappy situation if the device is on a remote location)
Quote mkx:
Does it happen when you change MAC address of just any member port or does it happen only when you change MAC address of a port which previously had same MAC address as bridge?
Just a member port, not previous master. It does that even when the port is not running (cable not connected). It has to be removed from the bridge, MAC address changed and then added back to the bridge. Fix could be as simple as preventing the change if port is bridge member. Just return an error and not hang the OS.

Quote nescafe2002:
I have reported this issue earlier and it has been fixed in 6.44beta14.

Sadly it has not been merged to stable yet.
Assuming you're replying to my post; Good to know, it'll trickle down eventually.

bratislav
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:15 am

After changing the MAC have you tried flushing arp table on your computer? After all you are vodokotlic :D ...

AllisonF
just joined

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:37 pm

Hello everyone,

So I work for an ISP and have been using 42.9 (long term) as the standard for my current Router OS version in deployment and it works great for the RB2011's, the Cloud Core units, the hAP AC's and the hAP AC^2's, however I have discovered in which if you upgrade a hAP AC^2 to Router OS 42.9, the unit will be bricked if you perform a hard reset while on that version. I have replicated this on 5 different units in total. You are able to still use Netinstall to restore this unit to its former glory, but this is problematic for times in which a field hard reset is necessary during unit deployment. I suspect this is actually related to the ARM version of Router OS 42.9 and thus would impact other units running on it, but the only unit we deploy here that uses an ARM processor is the AC^2, so I'm unable to test other units that share this version. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thank you so much!

Update:
It's not related to the ARM release, as hard resetting a hAP AC1 on 42.9 has the same result. Will post back again after testing with an RB2011.

Update 2:
Hard reset of configuration with an RB2011 on 42.9 does indeed brick that device as well, so this seems to be across the board.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:44 pm

What is your definition of "bricked"? No longer boots, you can no longer access it, or what?
There have been reports that this version does not install the familiar default config with DHCP server, NAT, firewall etc, but it merely puts address 192.168.88.1/24 on one of the ports as already was the standard on "business" routers like the CCR.
Did you try connecting from a system with address 192.168.88.10/24 or similar? Did you try connecting to the MAC address? (with winbox)

AllisonF
just joined

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:56 pm

What is your definition of "bricked"? No longer boots, you can no longer access it, or what?
There have been reports that this version does not install the familiar default config with DHCP server, NAT, firewall etc, but it merely puts address 192.168.88.1/24 on one of the ports as already was the standard on "business" routers like the CCR.
Did you try connecting from a system with address 192.168.88.10/24 or similar? Did you try connecting to the MAC address? (with winbox)
By "bricked", I mean that I can no longer get the router to hand out an IP to anything resulting in loss of access, though admittedly I don't recall which LAN ports I used. Does this behavior you mention assign 192.168.88.1/24 to a single port or to the bridge?

I tried pulling an IP via DHCP first and could not, then I set my NIC to a static address of 192.168.88.5 and still could not pull the address from the router on any of the tested devices.

Most of my Mikrotik units don't have console ports, so I haven't tried that yet (though I could on an RB2011 if necessary). As to Winbox, I have never used the application, but I can give this a test as well.

Update:
I consoled into a "bricked" RB2011 from this process. Turns out, the device doesn't apply the usual default config if you do this other than the following:

[admin@MikroTik] > /exp
# jan/02/1970 00:02:56 by RouterOS 6.42.9
# software id = 25GR-X6TN
#
# model = 2011UiAS
# serial number = XXXXXXXXXXXX
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 comment="default configuration" interface=ether1 \
network=192.168.88.0
/system routerboard settings
set silent-boot=no

Which is why I have no access. So it doesn't brick the device per se, it just doesn't apply any default router configuration like other versions do, and since it applied the IP pool to Eth 1, which is normally expected as the WAN port, I couldn't get an IP on anything, as I was plugged into the typical LAN ports.

AllisonF
just joined

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:50 pm

Unfortunately, it looks like default configuration is not properly generated on 6.42.8 and 6.42.9 versions. A workaround is to upgrade your router to the latest stable or testing builds and reset configuration then. We will definitely resolve the issue in the next long-term version. Sorry for any inconvenience.
This was definitely my issue all along. Thanks for the assistance!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:27 pm

Yes, that is the problem I described, only 192.168.88.1 on a single port and no DHCP etc. I did not know which port it would use on RB2011 but apparently ether1 like on CCR which is indeed unfortunate as your PC normally would not be connected to that.
Well, good that you found out. On the 2011UiAS you have you could have used the LCD to find what was happening.

amorsen

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:43 pm

Good point, we definitely need some option to stop bridge if all bridge ports are down (or to run it only if there are active ports). Someone just needs to contact support@mikrotik.com with that request :)
I contacted support multiple times. They refused to accept that it is an issue. Oh well, Juniper likes the extra business.

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Good point, we definitely need some option to stop bridge if all bridge ports are down (or to run it only if there are active ports). Someone just needs to contact support@mikrotik.com with that request :)
I contacted support multiple times. They refused to accept that it is an issue. Oh well, Juniper likes the extra business.
How about using a script with a scheduler?
:foreach bridge in=[ / interface bridge find ] do={
  :local brname [ / interface bridge get $bridge name ];
  :local inactive true;
  :foreach port in=[ / interface bridge port find where bridge=$brname ] do={
    :if ([ /interface bridge port get $port inactive ] != true) do={
      :set inactive false;
    }
  }
  :if ($inactive = true) do={
    / ip address disable [ find where !dynamic interface=$brname ];
  } else={
    / ip address enable [ find where !dynamic interface=$brname ];
  }
}
Run that every minute and you are done.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:36 pm

I would even simplify it a bit :)
:foreach bridge in=[ /interface bridge find ] do={
  :local brname [ /interface bridge get $bridge name ];
  :if ([/interface bridge port print count-only where bridge=$brname and inactive=no] = 0) do={
    / ip address disable [ find where !dynamic interface=$brname ];
  } else={
    / ip address enable [ find where !dynamic interface=$brname ];
  }
}
Or, if you need only 1 bridge, even shorter:
/ip address set [ find dynamic=no interface=bridge-local ] \
   disabled=([/interface bridge port print count-only where bridge=bridge-local and inactive=no] = 0)

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Any change of an updated long-term version soon that fixes the bridge VLAN filtering memory leak bug?

emils
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:19 am

New version 6.42.10 has been released in long-term RouterOS channel:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=141792