Community discussions

MikroTik App

stevenb

Re: v6.48 [stable] is released!

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:49 pm

After spending the last ~6 years deploying more and more MikroTik devices for production use, I'm really starting to question the viability of the company's support and customer engagement mentality.

It's a mistery how can a leading device provider let a fully broken minor version upgrade go so long (almost 1.5 months) without even communicating with the customers. It'd be the least to post a message on this thread that "we're working on it, patch expect in XYZ timeframe" or even "we have huge funding/resource/etc problems at the moment". It'd be much appreciated by everyone to at least have a clue what's going on.

I'm not sure if we want to put more money into devices after this example of zero responsibility... but it's not easy to step away when you've spent more than $50k on MikroTik devices/licenses.

I really hope the leaders and managers start reconsider their decisions, at least before people start to migrate production systems to a vendor that actually care about clients.

Looking forward for v6.48.1 to convince the angry customers that it was not a total waste of money to invest in MK products.

morphema

Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:54 pm

After spending the last ~6 years deploying more and more MikroTik devices for production use, I'm really starting to question the viability of the company's support and customer engagement mentality.

It's a mistery how can a leading device provider let a fully broken minor version upgrade go so long (almost 1.5 months) without even communicating with the customers. It'd be the least to post a message on this thread that "we're working on it, patch expect in XYZ timeframe" or even "we have huge funding/resource/etc problems at the moment". It'd be much appreciated by everyone to at least have a clue what's going on.
Pretty much same feelings, I just don't get what's happening. I'm not a huge corporate client and mostly use Mikrotik devices for home purposes for years. I have 3 Powerline devices which were dead after this update. I don't have any Windows device and I'm not able to run Netinstall. I also cannot upload the previous firmware version through the web view because there is only 16MB on each device.

It's really weird to read these silly toxic comments here like "Ahaha, you shouldn't apply major updates with .0 in the name, it's your fault", "Stable isn't stable, use Long-term". Guys, all my devices (HAP AC2 + 3 Powerline AC) were on Stable update channel by default since I bought them. My assumption was that Mikrotik suggests this channel as a reasonable compromise between stable work and new features.

Currently, I see that Powerline devices perform worse on Long-term firmware and I'm not able to downgrade them to 6.47.8. Communication with Mikrotik team is just awful because they just keep silence.

For god's sake, you guys should better start talking what is happening. Otherwise, I will never buy anything more from Mikrotik and will do my best to share clear and loud information about support.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:28 pm

I feel your pain, we really want to release the fixes, but there is currently a roadblock with our release procedure, which we are actively working on.
The version should be out any moment now, we are working really hard to resolve the issue faster.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

Spirch
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:00 pm

for me i decided to wait a week or 2 after it got released and when i saw all the bad thing i just decided to wait

i will do the same thing with 4.8.1, i'm in no rush to update my device

morphema

Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:54 pm

I feel your pain, we really want to release the fixes, but there is currently a roadblock with our release procedure, which we are actively working on.
The version should be out any moment now, we are working really hard to resolve the issue faster.
I appreciate your response.

The thing is that the current thread was created on December 23. What could be done?

1. You could have added the message in bold red colour at the very top: "Attention. Current firmware doesn't work properly on %devicename%, %devicename2% causing next issues. We are working hard to solve this stuff asap"

2. You could have written a short note about suggested actions for people who already did the update. Especially when you know that Powerline devices cannot be simply downgraded from the web-interface.

3. You could have pushed the previous firmware version to Stable or Testing channel, so people could have the opportunity to change the firmware without the manual effort which is not always possible.

I know what is software development, there always will be bugs, in any product which is more complex than "Hello world". I cannot imagine how you changed your workflow due to COVID. There might be a dozen reasons for the current situation, but you should react properly. You guys make great products, so behave like product owners, not like silent introverts who sometimes throw some updates to the public and immediately close the door.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:25 pm

Hmm, are some wrong with the forum as well? (or just in this thread)

Both Cray, morphema and stevenb are all listed with Posts: 0

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:50 pm

I think it is an off-by-one bug, it appears that new posters get posts: 0 after their first post.

Chaosphere64
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:12 pm

I think it is an off-by-one bug, it appears that new posters get posts: 0 after their first post.
But morphema already has 2 posts now and still 0 in the posts counter. But I think we are getting off topic and should focus on getting a 1 behind the current RouterOS release version ...

Cray

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:32 am

Unusually long period of silence from MikroTik. No development releases, no emergency fixes to the 6.48, no communication about the situation whatsoever. And the buggy version is still being distributed to customers as stable. I admit however, that on most - not all - device models the 6.48 runs ok with just minimal default configuration, but as soon as you start using some more professional features the wide range of problems start quickly to pile up.

It almost looks like MikroTik devs dumped everything being worked on in their development code to 6.48 stable release just two days before holidays and ran with it.

Usually features and fixes are seen gradually being iterated to development, stable and then to long-term releases, but given the wide range of instability introduced with 6.48 it almost looks like a build comes directly from development "master branch" without any filter.

Do not get me wrong: I absolutely love MikroTik devices and software and have been using them for the past decade - and I will continue to do so - but even the best of the best make mistakes sometimes.

It's the silence and lack of action that worries me this time.

So MikroTik, please say .. something!

[EDIT] Oh, MT did say something just before my post. Good. My opinion on 6.48 still stands.
Last edited by Cray on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cray

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:37 am

My post count has never increased. Does not matter to me, but just to confirm.

Proud zero since 2013 ;)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:43 am

In case you missed it, in post #303 above Mikrotik did say something.

Cray

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:45 am

In case you missed it, in post #303 above Mikrotik did say something.
Yes, I missed it.

Glad they did. It gives us hope.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:48 am

Proud zero since 2013 ;)
You have then been here long (since 27 Sep 2013, 11:24) and not posted much :)
If I look at your statistic, you have 6 post , first post 12.01.2021 (But there may be other counting errors)

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:12 am

roadblock
Does the developer Team fell into wintersleep?

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:50 am

roadblock
I'm wondering if perhaps they do not intend to release a 6.49 (moving to v7 instead as the next stable release after 6.48) and their existing build process is forcing them to release a 6.49 beta X in order to add the fixes to 6.48, like they normally do. It is just a guess, but it could explain the "roadblock" and therefore the delay.

LSan83
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:03 am

Maybe... I hope the roadblock isn't for Covid problems in the team.

Kindis

Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:15 am

roadblock
I'm wondering if perhaps they do not intend to release a 6.49 (moving to v7 instead as the next stable release after 6.48) and their existing build process is forcing them to release a 6.49 beta X in order to add the fixes to 6.48, like they normally do. It is just a guess, but it could explain the "roadblock" and therefore the delay.
Read a post on reddit where some people had e-mail support and gotten hold of 6.49Beta build so I suspect that 6.49 is coming. But I would be a fan if they stop development on V6 (just bugfixes) and then putt full focus on V7 in stead. But that is also easy for be to say that have no idea how they develop :-)

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:38 am

I'm wondering if perhaps they do not intend to release a 6.49 (moving to v7 instead as the next stable release after 6.48) ...
I suspect there is a big push to get V7 out, hence the huge change released in Dec 2020, but suspect we will still get a couple V6 updates

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:28 pm

They need to get v7 out, since they have sold routers with v7 beta on it. As we all know, beta should not be used in production.
+1 for stop 6.x train and keep focus and get v7 out.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:59 pm

Yes, I think that's what they should do: put version 6 on bugfix mode, and all hands on deck to v7. Another thing they should do is one beta v7 each month, warts and all.

r00t

Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:33 pm

v6.49beta is out and it fixes 9 issues introduced in v6.48. Haven't tested it properly yet, but it can't be worse than 6.48.... right? Fingers crossed, hoping it will became actually "stable" ROS version for a change...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:42 pm

Remember that "stable" in actual use (i.e. it does not crash, it performs the required functions, no critical bugs) has nothing to do with the name "stable" in a software release branch, which means "we are not tinkering with it all the time".
It is similarly confusing as "free", which can be interpreted as "it costs nothing" and "there is freedom to use and look at it".

IMHO such confusing names should not be used, but I do not run the shop.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:14 am

v6.49beta is out and it fixes 9 issues introduced in v6.48. Haven't tested it properly yet, but it can't be worse than 6.48.... right?
That is my theory too !
http://thebrotherswisp.com/ | Mikrotik MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE | Fortinet NSE7 | Extreme Networks ENA

leonardogyn
just joined

Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:07 pm

posting on the 6.48 thread and not on 6.49rc1 because I haven't tested it on the RC one. And given what I believe we're seeing (a 32 bit integer overflow), it would take quite a few days (if not weeks or month) for being able to reproduce it on a new firmware anyway. And there's no "queue tree" listed fix on 6.49rc1, so I believe this was unnoticed to now.

on a RB1100AHx2 running 6.48, queue tree packets counter seems to be a signed 32 bit integer and, given enough time for it to reach the signed 32 bit integer limit (2,147,483,647), it's overflowing and becaming a negative number and counting backwards. There's little (or no) reason for those counters not being 64 bit capable.

screenshots were taken a few seconds from each other. Please note that while the bytes counter is increasing, the packets counter is going backwards (and it's a negative number), proving with very little doubt that we had a 32 bit integer overflow here.
Captura de tela 2021-02-04 105245.jpg
Captura de tela 2021-02-04 105327.jpg
Captura de tela 2021-02-04 105216.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emils
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:52 am

New version 6.48.1 has been released in stable RouterOS channel:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=172321