Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:12 am

Read our latest newsletter and learn more about:
* MikroTik Home app,
* new RouterOS features,
* KNOT application examples,
* CWDM feature updates,
* new XS+2733LC15D SFP+ modules,
* product news in Spanish,
* and the LtAP mini LTE kit banking success story.

marekm

Re: Newsletter June 2021 (#100)

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:00 pm

Still no news about 802.11ay / Terragraph devices?

blingblouw

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:26 pm

Click the link in the video. Cube 60ay with backup 5ghz - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqgfEs_4G6s

marekm

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:20 pm

OK but where is the AP to connect up to 15 of those Cubes to?
I think they talk something about sectors but I don't understand Spanish.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:27 pm

Still no news about 802.11ay / Terragraph devices?
Current Mikrotik Terragraph situation, explained:
tg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phaere
just joined

Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:32 pm

Still no CCR2016 :(

Buster2

Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:06 pm

I doubt that the link to UNSUBSCRIBE in the newsletter e-mail should have an URL of
. Please fix it.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:48 am

Home app - goes thorugh nothing to do with WAN setup.

What if its PPPoE? Does this just purely rely on a DHCP WAN?

abiv
just joined

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:40 am

Wifi 6 when?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:11 am

For any kind of funky setups, surely you need the normal MikroTik app, where a lot more options are available. This is for home users with no configuration needs.

djdrastic

Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:10 am

Nice one regarding Wave2 features getting pushed into ROS V7.

Any thoughts of doing a bigger fiber mux ? 8 Ports get used up quickly especially in my experience even at smaller sites.
The Mon Port deletion does kinda suck but in my experience I've only used it in maybe 2 installs out of a hundred or so.

Mostly everybody here is waiting on pins and needles for faster routers though. 10 Gbits is pretty vanilla these days and we need hardware and software platform that can route at 40/100 Gbit rates.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:01 pm

For any kind of funky setups, surely you need the normal MikroTik app, where a lot more options are available. This is for home users with no configuration needs.
That should then read "home users in some countries where there are no configuration needs".
At least here a home internet connection is usually using PPPoE and almost always there is also a VLAN tag to be inserted.
That is not too uncommon I think.
Most equipment manufacturers solve this by having "profiles" that you select when you run the setup wizard. They ask you your country and ISP name and then it knows how to set it all up without bothering the user with questions like "do you want to use DHCP or PPPoE" or "what is the VLAN for your internet connection".
Of course it will require some effort to compile a list of profiles for all the markets where you want this to work.

WeWiNet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:58 pm

That should then read "home users in some countries where there are no configuration needs".
At least here a home internet connection is usually using PPPoE and almost always there is also a VLAN tag to be inserted.
That is not too uncommon I think.
Most equipment manufacturers solve this by having "profiles" that you select when you run the setup wizard. They ask you your country and ISP name and then it knows how to set it all up without bothering the user with questions like "do you want to use DHCP or PPPoE" or "what is the VLAN for your internet connection".
Of course it will require some effort to compile a list of profiles for all the markets where you want this to work.
I assume and hope this is first building block for future Wifi AP "home" products to come (with wifi 6). Today home users in the sense of this new app, are retail customers buying an AP only to have better Wifi at home. Disabling their Wifi on their box and drop in the Wifi AP, nothing else. But this means AP must have Wifi 6, band steering etc.
The only Mikrotik product competing in that space is in my sense Audience but is expensive. In retail (amazon etc.) you can get now Wifi 6 APs for $60.
(you can not do 1/10th of what you can do with Mikrotik on networking side, but if its all about Wifi at home, their solutions are enough/better than Mikrotik Wifi).
The prosumers and pro users who want to tinker with VLAN , PPPOE, firewalls ets and replace the modem/GW,
are not the target of this app. They will use Winbox or Web interface.

So for me right now its a miss match between the app target market and the products Mikrotik is offering, but hope this will change quickly with new products released... right Mikrotik?

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:30 pm

Thanks for the shout out to my blog in the Newsletter MikroTik :)

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:55 pm

The only product-space that Mikrotik excell is in Prosumer, small ISP and small/medium Enterprise. And no one there uses some fancy phone app to setup their network.

The "app target market" will probably choose Google, D-Link, Asus, TP-Link or some generic Chinese white-label box with the most performance/$.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:24 pm

And the ISP is really asking the end-user to do this? If there are any VLANs and such, normally the ISP technician configures / provides the router and does not give access to the end user. This video is not for that situation.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:54 pm

Overhere the providers supply a router/modem however Mikrotik is not supplied nor 'supported'by any of them. By law we have free choice of router/modem but you have to do the setup on your own, with general information provided by yhe ISP.

The owner of a Mikrotik will have to setup the vlan for the internet and a separate vlan for IPTV.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:16 pm

And the ISP is really asking the end-user to do this? If there are any VLANs and such, normally the ISP technician configures / provides the router and does not give access to the end user. This video is not for that situation.
No, instead they provide a router that has a first-start wizard which works as I described above: it asks you which country you live in and which ISP you have, and then it configures the internet side of the router accordingly. The APP could do the same thing.
Of course installation service is available, but it normally is optional. And, as msatter already wrote, it is not mandatory to buy the provider-supplied router but one can buy and install another one instead. Sometimes these have similar profiles. And the technical parameters are required to be made available by the ISP.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:39 pm

Wifi 6 when?
I am starting to wonder if Wi-Fi 6 or Wi-Fi 6e is even on the road map.

Over a year ago , the FCC opened up the 6 GHz band (5.925–7.125 GHz) and made it available for unlicensed use.
More than a year later and total lack of any official Mikrotik information, I can only assume there are zero plans for Mikrotik to update/create any products to operate in these new clear-clean-empty frequencies.

Many of you know that I am a total Mikrotik fan , but this lack of information and lack of product is wearing thin and is going to force me to look at other non-Mikrotik products to find a solution for --> 6 GHz band (5.925–7.125 GHz)

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:11 pm

It looks that first WiFi 5 will to be implemented on more Mikrotik products. Now it is only in development and on limited hardware: "Implementation of 802.11ac WiFi5 Wave 2 in RouterOS v7 BETA (MU-MIMO) for Audience, hAP ac3 (non-LTE!) and RouterBOARD 4011 devices (more information in the documentation)"

I prefer a longer wait, for a good implementation of WiFi 6. Now you see, implementations of it with other brands that are not yet mature.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:15 am

PPPoE is still widely used here at least (Australia) - and most consumer routers in their quick setup allow for configuring PPPoE as the WAN type - if its truly to be a no-fuss option for home users I'd say it needs to support configuring PPPoE WAN at a minimum (perhaps a screen that defaults to DHCP but has a button to say 'My ISP gave me a username and password' or something)

I agree though that VLAN id's and the like on WAN is getting a bit involved.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:04 am

PPPoE is still widely used here at least (Australia) - and most consumer routers in their quick setup allow for configuring PPPoE as the WAN type
I agree though that VLAN id's and the like on WAN is getting a bit involved.
So that isn't used in Australia then? Here in the Netherlands you would have a different VLAN for "internet" and "IPTV multicast" and additionally there could be another VLAN for "IP telephony".
The "internet" VLAN uses PPPoE and connects to a PPPoE server at the ISP possibly several cities away, the "IPTV" VLAN connects to a local router in the city area where multicast streams are distributed using IGMP to select the stream(s) that you are currently watching, and it uses DHCP. They would not want to transport that over half the country for every individual subscriber.
And the VoIP VLAN would have a reserved bandwitdh and thus prevent voice interruptions during heavy internet traffic (some providers solve this in a different way and do not have this VLAN).

A customer just wanting to connect to internet using their own router would usually configure only the internet VLAN and PPPoE over that.
Like you mention, it is usually a simple option in routers here, not something you would have to do manually by first adding a VLAN and then adding a PPPoE interface.
You would just select "KPN internet" or "KPN internet with IPTV" or similar and it sets up the entire router correctly.
Last edited by pe1chl on Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

bratislav
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:35 am

Those users mostly never change the password that is set initially so, although it may look like a nice touch, it seems like a bit of waste of developers time IMHO...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:16 pm

Those users mostly never change the password that is set initially so, although it may look like a nice touch, it seems like a bit of waste of developers time IMHO...
It would be better to spend developers time on a "unique password" scheme. And do it right the first time.
Routers with no password and open WiFi by default get negative reviews here.
The first attempt by manufacturers was to generate a unique password from the MAC address using a "super secret" function, easy for them as no new storage for the unique password was required, but very insecure because the "super secret" function always leaks and the MAC address is usually easy to obtain, so programs appear that show the default router password and you can get in when the user has not changed it (as most users indeed never do).
The current "state of the art" is to print a unique password on a sticker on the router (2 different passwords, one for WiFi and another for config login) and apparently this is also stored in the router in such a way that it does not get erased when firmware updates or "netinstall" is done.
Of course you need to maintain a database of initial passwords for your routers when you use them at remote locations where you cannot simply look at the sticker.
It is like what MikroTik already do for the "wireless wire" pre-configured WiFi link equipment, but if I am correct it can be erased on those devices.
To be credible in the "home router" market here (and not end up at the very bottom of comparison tables in computer magazines) you need to have something like this.

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:12 pm

I prefer a longer wait, for a good implementation of WiFi 6. Now you see, implementations of it with other brands that are not yet mature.
Well, other vendors (Cisco, Aruba, Extreme Networks, ... ) already support 802.11ax for years. Meanwhile all 802.11ax major features work, too:
- DL MU-MIMO
- UL MU-MIMO
- up to 37 resource units (for an 80MHz channel) with appropriate chipsets
- Uplink & downlink OFDMA
- BSS Coloring
- Target Wait Time

What you see in WifiWave2 package for RouterOS V7.x beta are binary firmware drivers from chipset vendors which MikroTik started to integrate in RouterOS, that´s all.

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:36 am

please drop some news on the 60Ghz gear referenced in that video. please? por favor?

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:43 pm

PPPoE is a "funky setup"? 100% of our deployments are PPPoE.

In order to promote & offer the app to our many thousands of end users using various versions of hAP devices (which I really want to do) the app needs to A) work properly with PPPoE (I tested, it most definitely doesn't), and B) change from needing Winbox permission to it's own special category of permission (aka a login that is limited specific to the Home App so you don't also have to give full device permission to the user in order to use it).

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:00 pm

PPPoE is a "funky setup"? 100% of our deployments are PPPoE.
PPPoE became pointless as soon as dialup got replaced by cable modems and optic fibers. Today, DHCP and plain old ethernet work just as well and you have no PPPoE limitations to deal with.
(aka a login that is limited specific to the Home App so you don't also have to give full device permission to the user in order to use it).
We really need this, but for now I would just give users access to a custom user that can only be used with WebFig and has only the read + write permissions. Then, assign that user an ultra-limited WebFig skin so they can't mess anything up.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:23 pm

PPPoE became pointless as soon as dialup got replaced by cable modems and optic fibers. Today, DHCP and plain old ethernet work just as well and you have no PPPoE limitations to deal with.
You seem to be confusing it with PPP.
PPPoE is PPP over Ethernet. It is widely used over optic fiber and DSL.
It facilitates isolation of the clients, efficient use of address space (only a single IP address per client, no subnetting losses), access control either by user/password or by attributed like line-id added by the network, etc.
Sure there often are workarounds possible but apparently it still is the protocol of choice for large-scale ISPs.

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:28 pm

Sure there often are workarounds possible but apparently it still is the protocol of choice for large-scale ISPs.
Weird, as my provider (AT&T) only does DHCP with public IPs. Is this something that's especially popular with WISPs?

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:11 am

I can see the point of PPPoE in WISP-networks with the air as a medium. PPPoE existed in the DSL-days in my country, but was only used by a few providers. For Cable/Ethernet/FTTH it's just plain DHCP. Not sure why you need an extra layer for authentication and encapsulation when you control the last mile?

troffasky

Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:54 am

Not sure why you need an extra layer for authentication and encapsulation when you control the last mile?
It's not just WISP networks, but in networks where the operator sells wholesale access, using PPP they can hand the login off to the relevant service provider's AAA server. I am sure you could eventually achieve similar results with MPLS, or one-VLAN-per-SP in your wholesale network, or whatever, but PPPoE + L2TP is a widely-accepted solution for multiple service providers on a wholesale network.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:09 pm

Exact, we have the full control of our network, but the end user have PPPoE on CPE

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:01 pm

It's not just WISP networks, but in networks where the operator sells g, using PPP they can hand the login off to the relevant service provider's AAA server. I am sure you could eventually achieve similar results with MPLS, or one-VLAN-per-SP in your wholesale network, or whatever, but PPPoE + L2TP is a widely-accepted solution for multiple service providers on a wholesale network.
In sweden thats usually solved with simply using VLANs (usually QinQ) for the different providers *or* Layer3-switched network with port security and DHCP-relay. The wholesale access provider simply configures this per customer. No need for further authentication/encapsulation.

Switched FTTH/FTTB is crashing in price since it's commodity hardware. xDSL, GPON and (new)DOCSiS and speciallized hardware is many times more expensive.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:21 pm

On fiber VLAN is obligatory, we talk about not-fiber access...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:55 am

A customer just wanting to connect to internet using their own router would usually configure only the internet VLAN and PPPoE over that.
Wow. My personal opinion, instead of blaming apps, these types of providers should re-think their network setup. Why would home users have to know such stuff?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:17 am

Wow. My personal opinion, instead of blaming apps, these types of providers should re-think their network setup. Why would home users have to know such stuff?
They don't.
When you get an Internet connection here, you will be offered a router from the ISP "for free" (i.e. it is included in the montly rate).
That router includes a configuration profile so you can install it using some easy steps, or you can ask them to send an installer to do that for you.

However, there is the mandatory freedom to "use your own router". I.e. select another type of router, like MikroTik, when you like those better than the standard router provided by the ISP (which is only a basic NAT router with WiFi and usually an analog telephone adapter).

When you decide to do that, you become responsible for its configuration. You get the info how to set it up from the ISP, but no technical support.
What I intended to write above is that the people who decide to do this (and who obviously know how) will usually configure only Internet and not the additional services that you can obtain from the ISP, like telephony or TV. So no need to fiddle with the other VLANs.

An app could be helpful when it knows about configuration profiles just like the home routers do. I.e. it asks you information about what provider you have and then it knows what VLANs to configure and how to configure the PPPoE (i.e. does it require a username/password which it has to ask the user, or can it use a generic username/password, the usual case).
Of course it makes no sense to ask the user "do you require a VLAN and which number", the home user would not know that.
But you can ask "select your country and ISP from this list".

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:18 pm

This would require immense effort and continuous updates. In any case, if any configuration is required, our other smartphone app does provide PPPoE settings in the Wizard.
The Home App is to set up your WiFi and that's it.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:14 pm

Of course it could still be used as a plain AP behind a router provided and already configured for the ISP connection.
(DHCP-obtained address for the AP and preferably operating in bridge mode)

Of course it would be nice when there was a freely accessible database of internet providers worldwide and the connection parameters they require, for all router manufacturers to use in their products or setup apps, but who would be willing to host and maintain that?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:43 pm

>>>of internet providers worldwide
than want share parameters and want user without any knowledge to play with router just for one idiot law of "freedom for use your own router",
born to not be forced to pay any fee for rent and distorced for this idiocy

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:20 pm

But you can ask "select your country and ISP from this list".
Users that don't know why they need a router of their own - usually sticks with the ISP provided one.
Users that want a specific router probably knows how to configure it because they want that specific router.

killersoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:38 pm

Wifi 6 when?
I am starting to wonder if Wi-Fi 6 or Wi-Fi 6e is even on the road map.

Over a year ago , the FCC opened up the 6 GHz band (5.925–7.125 GHz) and made it available for unlicensed use.
More than a year later and total lack of any official Mikrotik information, I can only assume there are zero plans for Mikrotik to update/create any products to operate in these new clear-clean-empty frequencies.

Many of you know that I am a total Mikrotik fan , but this lack of information and lack of product is wearing thin and is going to force me to look at other non-Mikrotik products to find a solution for --> 6 GHz band (5.925–7.125 GHz)
Why would mikrotik, make a niche product for that band plan by FCC.

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:54 pm

Niche? 6 GHz is used for 802.11ax world wide (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ax-2021). Within Q3/Q4 2021, vendors start selling their enterprise access points. Consumer routers with triple radios (2.4GHz, 5 GHz, 6GHZ) and end devices started selling some months ago. As users want more bandwith 6 GHz support is a must for our seminar rooms and lecture halls. I hope Mikrotik will release some new Mediatek based routers (RB750grX) and wireless access points with 2x2:2 for 2.4GHz, 5 GHz and 6 GHz with Mediatek´s current Wi-Fi 6E branded chipset (https://www.mediatek.com/blog/mediatek- ... on-program) and proprietary drivers.

killersoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:22 am

Niche? 6 GHz is used for 802.11ax world wide (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ax-2021). Within Q3/Q4 2021, vendors start selling their enterprise access points. Consumer routers with triple radios (2.4GHz, 5 GHz, 6GHZ) and end devices started selling some months ago. As users want more bandwith 6 GHz support is a must for our seminar rooms and lecture halls. I hope Mikrotik will release some new Mediatek based routers (RB750grX) and wireless access points with 2x2:2 for 2.4GHz, 5 GHz and 6 GHz with Mediatek´s current Wi-Fi 6E branded chipset (https://www.mediatek.com/blog/mediatek- ... on-program) and proprietary drivers.
BAND PLAN RLAN.png
Lets start by talking about legal band plans per country with ITU/WRC consultation, not technology types/protocols/or what a manufacturer has created.

At this point FCC(America, and some other like Brazil, south Korea and Chile) have recently made those frequencies available for low power device use in those counties domestic band plans.
Other counties such as Australia and Europe( like where Mikrotik is made!), have not yet had all those frequencies allocated for such use. That said, there have been a number of discussions by the ITU and associated WRC meetings which attempts to help ratify the band plans.

I highly recommend your take a quick look at these recent documents to understand why I called it a niche band.
The two documents of interest are from
https://www.acma.gov.au/consultations/2 ... on-122021

https://www.acma.gov.au/sites/default/f ... paper.docx

And this submission for request for comment, by manufactures(Apple/Cisco/Ericsson/Intel/HP/ etc etc) about the 6GHz band
https://www.acma.gov.au/sites/default/f ... ions_0.zip

And just to recap on how much stuff goes into WRC to try and ratify things take a look at :

https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-R/seminars/w ... ration.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:50 am

All of this 6GHz talk probably fits better as RouterOS v7-specific topics.

RouterOS v7 already has the wifiwave2 package, which uses the manufacturer drivers (instead of MikroTik's own) and already seemingly supports WiFi 6 - the mode setting is there and the drivers are there. It is very possible that if MikroTik already had WiFi 6 capable hardware out today, that you would be able to use WiFi 6 on the current RouterOS v7 beta with the wifiwave2 drivers that already exist, and have it working.

However, currently with wifiwave2 certain important features are missing:
  • no four address mode support for WDS or station-bridge
  • no capsman support
  • apparently, no support for distance control, potentially affecting outdoor fixed installs

What we do have already is significantly improved performance on supported AC devices (hap ac3 and Audience) where 5GHz wireless performance is easily 60% better than on RouterOS v6 in many situations. This is promising. However, I don't think we are likely to see hardware released until some of the features currently missing in wifiwave2 have been addressed, and until RouterOS v7 stabilizes a bit more as a whole.

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:16 pm

At this point FCC(America, and some other like Brazil, south Korea and Chile) have recently made those frequencies available for low power device use in those counties domestic band plans.
Other counties such as Australia and Europe( like where Mikrotik is made!), have not yet had all those frequencies allocated for such use.
Well, in some countries the 6 GHz frequencies can already be used. LPI devices (smartphones, indoor access points) are being sold already, more countries and devices will follow this and next year year:

source: https://www.arubanetworks.com/de/atmosphere/ (04/2021)
POLICY AND LEGISLATION
6GHz harmonisation decision: more spectrum available for better and faster Wi-Fi

The 6GHz harmonisation decision makes 480 MHz of additional spectrum available in the 6 GHz band for Wi-Fi networks. It means further improvements in network performance and faster, more stable connections for teleconferencing, sharing content and innovative services.
source: https://digital-strategy.ec.europa.eu/e ... ster-wi-fi

mp3turbo

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:56 am

>> Many of you know that I am a total Mikrotik fan , but this lack of information and lack of product is wearing thin and is going to force me to look at other non-Mikrotik products to find a solution for --> 6 GHz band (5.925–7.125 GHz)

countless options you have, right ?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:06 am

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:27 pm

There is no relation whatsoever between existing licensed 6GHz link equipment and the new 6GHz wifi channels.
The new channels are only for indoor use with low power, not for outdoor links.
It requires a suitable conformant indoor access point.

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:49 pm

The only product-space that Mikrotik excell is in Prosumer, small ISP and small/medium Enterprise. And no one there uses some fancy phone app to setup their network.

The "app target market" will probably choose Google, D-Link, Asus, TP-Link or some generic Chinese white-label box with the most performance/$.
I use Ubiquiti's "fancy" phone app to configure and align outdoor CPE and backbone gear all the time, and their UniFI app to manage WiFi gear.

Mikrotik's phone app is too cumbersome to use to set up routers, though. I use WebFig or the CLI for that.

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:59 pm

I can see the point of PPPoE in WISP-networks with the air as a medium. PPPoE existed in the DSL-days in my country, but was only used by a few providers. For Cable/Ethernet/FTTH it's just plain DHCP. Not sure why you need an extra layer for authentication and encapsulation when you control the last mile?
Many wireless and fiber providers use PPPoE + RADIUS for authentication, statistics collection (usage), and Layer 2 client isolation. (Cable modem authentication is also done with RADIUS.) It can be more efficient for IPv4 utilization, since you can get away without having to carve your networks up into as many subnets. Many large carriers already use MPLS on their networks as well, which is less taxing on CPUs and passes Layer 2 traffic very efficiently. They can therefore concentrate all the heavy lifting of Layer 3 into the BRAS and a few core routers vs. routers distributed across the network.

The drawback for some operators is the 1500-byte MTU limit of some (mostly less expensive) gear, which wreaks havoc when using PPPoE with VLANs. And then there's the CPE provisioning issue, especially if you allow customers to bring their own router without providing some intermediary PPPoE device.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:54 pm

Is there a timeframe for the Cube60Pro ac ? Must have missed it somehow.
Klembord-2.jpg

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:06 pm

statistics collection (usage), and Layer 2 client isolation.
That often solved with SNMP counters and PVLAN/NNI-UNI for customer to customer isolation.

comet48

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:48 pm

The usage of frequencies above the 5.9 ghz space isn't easy in the USA. Sure, the FCC added additional frequencies, all the way through 7 ghz, but it's not as simple as just having a radio that works in that frequency range. Mimosa for example already run out to 6.4 ghz, but they still can't ship them at 6 ghz here in the US. To transmit in the new frequencies, the radio needs to search a database to ensure that there isn't a prior licensed 6 gig user in the space it wants to operate. That database has to be developed. Then there are restrictions re power - if I remember correctly 4 watts for AP, 1 watt for CPE. And no additional power for PTP connections.

Ivoshiee

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:42 am

It is a bit strange that some random YT video has fancy new equipment listed, but there is no word about them on the MT own pages about them.