Community discussions

MikroTik App

Would you like the default SSID be the same for 2GHz and 5GHz, or different for each band?

Same SSID, eg. "MikroTik"
146 (67%)
Different SSID, eg. "MikroTik-2GHz" and "MikroTik-5GHz"
71 (33%)

Total votes: 217

syntxerr
just joined

Re: Dual band AP for home use, SSID same or different?

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:59 am

Just wondering if there is a target market date for this yet, Ive been holding out for a while for personal use. Ive had to use UBNT for a few projects that just needed to get done :(

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:16 am

Just wondering if there is a target market date for this yet, Ive been holding out for a while for personal use. Ive had to use UBNT for a few projects that just needed to get done :(
an indoor home AP?

syntxerr
just joined

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:34 am

Dual band 'consumer' unit, home or SMB use. I saw on someone's twitter though that these are awaiting certification - can't wait!

f1studio
just joined

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:24 pm

I think it must have same SSIDs by default with ability to be changed by the user if they want to set up different SSIDs

abis
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:36 pm

I know that. Hope also that it will be possible to totally remove quickset as separate package one day.
Everybody knows you are smart and technical, but most home wireless devices are used by novices, who don't even understand the meaning of "WiFi password" and "Automatic IP address". Without Quickset, these people would not be able to secure their device.
Yes, we understand novices users too, but MikroTik coders need to think on experimental users too, so from my opinion, out of box can come with Quickset but also can be an option to can remove it too if an experimental user prefer to work as "old school" :P In conclusion I will love if Quickset will be as a package :D

JimmyNyholm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:22 pm

That Depends. If features such as Bandstearing or BandBalancing and ChannelFly and other stuff is implemented to overcome bad clients with bad roaming in crowed space then I would say Same SSID.

Without the mentioned features I would vote for Specific SSIDs for 2 and 5 Ghz. and at the same time vote for all the above features from other enterprise wifi solutions.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:57 pm

Yes, we understand novices users too, but MikroTik coders need to think on experimental users too, so from my opinion, out of box can come with Quickset but also can be an option to can remove it too if an experimental user prefer to work as "old school" :P In conclusion I will love if Quickset will be as a package :D
I don't understand your issue. The presence of Quickset in no way forces you to use it at all. Quickset has been on every router I have bought since it was introduced. Other than opening it up once to see what sort of things it did, I have never actually used it for anything, and it has never gotten in the way of letting me do what I wanted to do using Winbox, CLI, scripting, etc. I cant imagine what possible benefit you imagine to having it made a removable package.

abis
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:07 am

I don't understand your issue. The presence of Quickset in no way forces you to use it at all. Quickset has been on every router I have bought since it was introduced. Other than opening it up once to see what sort of things it did, I have never actually used it for anything, and it has never gotten in the way of letting me do what I wanted to do using Winbox, CLI, scripting, etc. I cant imagine what possible benefit you imagine to having it made a removable package.
I didn't say I have an issue, I never mention that on my post. Is just my opinion and I'm not alone who support my point...

varcus
just joined

Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:39 am

I guess until MT is a product for everyone, there will be no package "quick set". There is no logic in limiting the client range. As said before, the average user is a novice.

ivanfm

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:37 pm

Standard users does not understand 2.4G and 5G, but they can understand that network XX-2.4G are better in some places of the house than the XX-5G. When I had used same ssid for two networks was very difficult to troubleshot remotely. Using different ssid make easier even for non technical users to detect problems and interference without using specific tools and programs.

I prefer the default as two different ssids, can be -2.4 -5, -FAST -FASTER, -LongRange -SmallRange, -A -B, -X -Y, anything that permit the user to differentiate the two possible networks.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:09 am

The beauty of RouterOS is that you can give each interface two SSIDs -- an identical one shared by the 2.4 and 5G interfaces, and a unique one for each interface (e.g., Network2, Network 5, and Network). That way, the end user can decide whether he wants ignorant-bliss convenience or total control over his choice of channel.

We use this approach when provisioning large RV parks with multiple APs. The transients only have to know that if they attach to the common ID, it will "just work" anywhere in the park. The residents take the time to determine which AP gives them the best performance, and then use the specific SSID for that AP.

DanielJB
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:44 am

Owing to the lack of RouterOS band steering, I have consistently found the optimal solution is for the 2.4GHz radio to have SSID eg "Mikrotik" and the 5GHz radio to have SSIDs eg "Mikrotik" and "Mikrotik 5G", catering both for people who want simplicity and those who want 5GHz only. Making this default would be a step forward.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:22 am

I am the perfect candidate. I should be a beta tester for mikrotik LOL. New to mikrotik learning to program the hex and wanting to add a touch of security to my home scenario. I have a mix of android boxes, nintendo, appleTV, multiple brand Wifi routers acting as AP/switches, need for guest wifi, Nest smoke alarm, Samsung Smart things hub with remote pucks (whatever one calls them), skybell hd doorbell video, Arlo Hub with vidcams, a Solar Cell reporting device, a septic panel, and multiple printers all spread out. (almost forgot a bunch of NAS boxes, and a VOIP modem).

Some of these devices only are able to use B/G/N so AC or A only does one no good.
Thus I will need VLAN capable devices with multiple SSIDs.
Whether the UNIT comes defaulted one way or another matters little to me as long as there is granularity to program the wifi as it is needed.
In other words, i want to be able to direct the wifi, not necessarily have it all decided automatically by the unit.

<b>Further, to be able to program the wifi EVEN IF NOT USING THE ROUTING functionality. Still VLAN capable (aka like a managed switch) and still multi SSID capable. </b>

Finally, use a different wifi then whats on the hap AC2 ;-P
Note: I plan on replacing all my mixed bag of wifi routers acting as APs with the hap AC2 when issues are resolved.