MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Re: Newletter 66

Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:30 am

It is a good information! :D

@normis
I think that held MUM in Japan!
You should post about the MUM Conference in local forums, blogs, your own website. Help us get more users, so we have nice conference in Tokyo

baggar11
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:25 pm

Any news on the hAP AC units?

Basdno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:15 pm

PowerBox:
Why do you update the PowerBox and then NOT put in Gigabit ports???? PowerBox is very nice, EXCEPT that it still does not have Gig ports?!

Why do Mikrotik clinge to these 10/100 ports on new devices when hardly any other manufacturer bothers to put in anything else then gig ports in new products nowadays??!!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:30 pm

in Europe we have nice broadband speeds, but most of the world still has a few megabit connections. We do have many Gigabit devices, but each product is more suited for a different purpose. We will probably have Gigabit Powerbox too in the future.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:05 pm

Hi Normis,

It has been mentioned in the past that there would be 802.11ac products with "nice" appearance, and also that there would be products with proper 802.3af POE.

I was wondering how these are coming along ?

We are looking for a Mikrotik product to deploy to Medium sized and Enterprise clients with Capsman. Something that won't look out of place in an office environment, and something we can power from standards compliant POE switches found in your typical business e.g. HP, Cisco, Juniper, Extreme.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:29 pm

We will probably have Gigabit Powerbox too in the future.
I hope they will have more than 4 POE out ports. Thanks

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:31 pm

You know I can't say anythng without proper announcement at a MUM or at least to Distributors first :)

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:41 pm

You know I can't say anythng without proper announcement at a MUM or at least to Distributors first :)
Thanks Normis, the process is clear now :)

pateutz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:11 pm

Hello,

any news about RB3011 Series .. on March ( CZ MUM) Mikrotik announced that will be released in Q2 ...

Best Regards,

Daniel

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:40 pm

I would be happy if the RB3011 got delayed to prepare a dual band ac version.

Basdno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:53 am

Why are people so keen on Dual band SoHo devices? With a lot of SoHo 5Ghz devices it will just create the same noice problems that now plagues the 2,4Ghz bands outdoors!

If it were up to me as a WISP, I would BAN all indoor use of 5Ghz and preserve that band for outdoor use ONLY for WISPs.

2,4 Ghz devices function perfectly in indoor envirnoment, and are even better then 5Ghz devices in means of "penetrating" walls/floors/ceilings and such. And also interference and noise is usuly kept on a tolerable level since the walls and such create natural barriers for "opposing" APs.

I remember the last 2,4 Ghz outdoor site I had, it was a nightmare in the end, so much noice and interference that even if customers had good signal the quality was so bad they hardly got any throughput anyway.
I fear that is the same scenario that might happen to 5Ghz if evry Tom, Dick and Harry is gonna put up their fancy new 5Ghz APs and mess around with frequencies into wrong channels! There are always enough Home AP geniuses that doesnt care/doesnt know there are certain frequensies that can be ussed for certain purposes!

So in my opinion, in an ideal world the SoHo APs would stay in 2.4ghz band, and 5Ghz would ONLY be used in outdoor WISP networks!
(Oh, well a guy must be allowed to dream a little bit from time to time! ;D loool )

Basdno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:04 am

in Europe we have nice broadband speeds, but most of the world still has a few megabit connections. We do have many Gigabit devices, but each product is more suited for a different purpose. We will probably have Gigabit Powerbox too in the future.

I understand that many parts of the world probably doesnt have "European" speeds yet and therefore maybe do not need gig yet.
But my point is just if Mikrotik would simply standarize on using ONLY 10/100/1000 ports in all products I guess the sheer volume overall would very soon cancle out the probably slightly higher cost of gig ports from Mikrotiks suppliers.

And ALL customers would be happy, since some1 that can use 10/100 can also use 10/100/1000, but not optimaly vice versa ! :)

It would also mean fewer parts and versions of products to maintain and develope?! Or am I seeing this wrong?

In any case, I am looking forward to Gig PowerBox! ;) PowerBox is a very handy product especially since it also has a powerconnector that the OmnitikUPA sadly lacks! And in many of my older battery sites this fact saves me a lot of rewireing when I nowadays upgrade to new POE capable equipment! :)

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:12 am

Basdno

802.11ac requires 5GHz that is why.

Also in high density campus and office deployments you really need the extra channels.

Basdno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:18 am

Basdno

802.11ac requires 5GHz that is why.

Also in high density campus and office deployments you really need the extra channels.

I know, thats why I added the part of dreaming in the end! ;D Sadly such dreams seldome come true! :D lol

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:44 pm

If it were up to me as a WISP, I would BAN all indoor use of 5Ghz and preserve that band for outdoor use ONLY for WISPs.
While I agree with you, that 5GHz should be kept 'clean' from SoHo devices, I strongly object to the preservation of 5GHz only for WISPs.
What about open wireless communities? Or simply a p2p link between friends? Why should a WISP have more 'authority' on the band than private individuals (for which the band was given license-free in the first place) ?

No WISP owns 5GHz. As a matter of fact - at least on my country - commercial use of 2.4GHz & 5GHz is technically illegal (but no one cares to prosecute anyone).

The point being, that if you want to do business, you should pay for the frequencies you use like any other company does for production links (eg: GSM, WiMax, whatever).

As private individuals we have a tiny space of our own license-free band to play with and by WISPs coming and taking over that band, to me that's just an exploitation of a frequency that was meant for real people, not for companies.

I know most of you -being WISPs- will 'attack' me for saying that :P

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:59 pm

I don't want to use 2.4GHz which is overcrowded by WiFi, Bluetooth, cordless mice, microwave ovens, wireless speakers.

I cannot wait for the day when I get rid of my last 2.4GHz-only WiFi device so I will shut down this WiFi band at home.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:55 pm

As most people have no idea, I think what all routers should do is auto shutdown radios that are never used.

Basdno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:22 pm

While I agree with you, that 5GHz should be kept 'clean' from SoHo devices, I strongly object to the preservation of 5GHz only for WISPs.
What about open wireless communities? Or simply a p2p link between friends? Why should a WISP have more 'authority' on the band than private individuals (for which the band was given license-free in the first place) ?

No WISP owns 5GHz. As a matter of fact - at least on my country - commercial use of 2.4GHz & 5GHz is technically illegal (but no one cares to prosecute anyone).

The point being, that if you want to do business, you should pay for the frequencies you use like any other company does for production links (eg: GSM, WiMax, whatever).

As private individuals we have a tiny space of our own license-free band to play with and by WISPs coming and taking over that band, to me that's just an exploitation of a frequency that was meant for real people, not for companies.

I know most of you -being WISPs- will 'attack' me for saying that :P

I may have been a bit unclear about it, and rereading my post I can understand that it may have looked like i meant that the 5Ghz band would be reserved for WISPs only.
This was not my intention, of course the 5Ghz band is a licence free band that all can use also communeties and p2p between friends and such as you mention.
I simply wrote the post from my perspective as a WISP conserned about the interference problems that we have already seen in 2,4Ghz band and that may come to 5Ghz soon, I guess I could have been more clear about that!

My point was simply, let 5Ghz reign the outdoors and let 2,4Ghz reign the indoors!

But as a former poster also already pointed out that is just a pale dream coming from a small WISP!
(By the way, you make it sound like all WISPs are big multimillion dollar companies that can afford paying large frequency fees. This is very often NOT true! ;D All companies have to start somewhere! :) )

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:30 pm

This is downtown. The problem here is interference indoors, not outdoors.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:47 pm

My point was simply, let 5Ghz reign the outdoors and let 2,4Ghz reign the indoors!
I totally agree with that!

That's exactly what I am doing for my network. 2.4GHz for my home and 5GHz for my p2p links on the roof.
But as a former poster also already pointed out that is just a pale dream coming from a small WISP!
(By the way, you make it sound like all WISPs are big multimillion dollar companies that can afford paying large frequency fees. This is very often NOT true! ;D All companies have to start somewhere! :) )
I understand that WISPs are not multi-million dollar companies. If they were they probably wouldn't use 2.4GHz and 5GHz to build their backbone in the first place (why use a band that at any time you can have problems - since anyone can play there and cause interference - if you can afford a private band that only you are allowed to use? :) )

But the thing is, when 'business' gets in the way, then many stuff get distorted in the name of business and money (a relevant example might be the internet as a whole - today the internet is MUCH different than it used to be 10 or 15 years ago - depending on your ideology and how you view the world the internet got worse because business got in the way).

And I've seen WISPs that don't know what the hell they are doing! Causing more (RF) problems than wireless communities (which I am a part of and consider it more useful than any WISP - even though we call ourselves amateurs - which in my language it translates to 'Ερασιτέχνες' which means literally means 'lovers of art'. So the bottom line is that we care about the band because we love what we are doing, not because we make money off of it).

I understand that getting your own frequencies might be quite expensive depending on the country you are on, but as any other company that needs to get the proper permissions from government (or whatever authority) to conduct business, that should be the case with WISPs IMHO.

Otherwise I can only imagine a future where in the name of money and business you will ruin 5GHz as well :(

jebz

Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:04 am

What about the 24-24.25GHz band for outdoor PtP links? This is unlicensed and with higher gain provided by the same size dish has less potential for interference.

Is there a common unlicensed 13GHz band available for longer path links?

Clauu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:09 pm

RB850Gx2 with Hardware Encryption Acceleration
The RB850Gx2 devices are now shipped with a CPU that features Hardware Encryption Acceleration (serial numbers that
start with “5”). Combined with up to date RouterOS version (6.28 or above), you will now be able to reach 500Mbps with
AES128 encryption on this device.
And what about 'old' rb850gx2 devices, how can we make an upgrade without changing the whole router? This 'hw acceleration' it should have been from the beginning of gx2 production and not as 2 different branches

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:56 pm

I don't think that's possible. The newer models have a different CPU, so the acceleration is on hardware not software to be fixed.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:28 pm

What do you gain by denying 5GHz? That we buy another brand, even one with two 5GHz radios?

Actually, it would not be a bad idea, then I could have the n clients in one frequency, the ac in another, and I can leave the 2.4GHz free for other stuff when I can get rid of it.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:15 am

I think I will continue ignoring the Mikrotik wireless. I will be looking for a router with 3x BCM4366. But with *WRT it might just replace my Mikrotik.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:29 am

Thinking it better, I think the best deal/compromise for me will be to get the 5GHz RB3011 to use for ac, and keep the Airport Extreme simultaneous dual band for n.

tzuik
just joined

xcvbnm

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:16 am

xcvbnm
Last edited by tzuik on Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:29 pm

zinonino
just joined

Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:44 am

Hi,

any new news info when start sell hAP ac and hAP ac Lite ?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:36 pm

@Cha0s & Basdno.

Its all about money; Business want to make as much as possible => find cheapest production methods and customers want best money-product ratio => lowest price.

Hence that many new operators in the 2000-2010 started using free radio bands to offer internet to people where the multi million dollar companies even didn't think of going... rural parts etc.

Due this 'cheap production environment' internet became to what it is today, a cheap medium lots of people can use. If WISPs/business would have been banned from using free spectrum than we probably would not have had companies like Mikrotik, Ubiquity and the alikes thriving on small WISP operators. Nor would we have internet in remote parts of even 'developed' countries and a 2Mb download would still have been considered to be 'fast internet'.
Only the 'big' players would have ruled the internet and we all know how that works out. Monopolies are the worst that can happen to mankind. It keeps prices high, developments at "0" and liberty and freedom at risk.

So yes, opening and using as much a spectrum for free stimulates competition, stimulates developments and in the end, benefits us all.
That in some parts (cities with each house block full of 2,4Ghz relative powerful routers) interference did become an issue, well same areas where incomes are usually highest and people thus can afford the biggest cars are complaining that they can't use it because the road network is cloaked... Things we share in mass are used in mass and thus you'll get frictions....

I started in 2003 with 2,4Ghz (Airbridges, anybody still remember them?) than went to Horizontal polarization for the antennas to stay out of the interference a year later. Than went to 802.11a because b/g really became troubled. After some years we moved to 'n' and now we are moving into 'ac' and fit better antennas with better shielding etc. just to stay out of trouble. In 2003 I could sell a mb speed for about 40€ a month. Now same mb makes me only 40 cents.
I am looking now into 24Ghz (or licensed freq's) for some backhauls and hope 10Ghz in the future will bring indoor usage some relieve.

In the meantime we serve a couple of hundreds of clients and together with my competitors using same technology we serve thousands of people with fast internet access. If we would never had the opportunity to do so because we didn't had the money to start a WiMax or Cellular system with licensed freq's, people would have nothing to complain about poor internet. Simply because they probably still didn't have any.....

When we started in Spain some 10 years ago basic internet access was probably 10 times as dear as in my home country Holland. In these days Holland had some 4 national wide operators and some 10 regional operators. Coverage was about 90%
Spain had basically only 2-3 national operators and some local/regional initiatives. Because internet in these days in Spain was probably only accessible for about 30% of the population there was plenty of room to start a small WISP. Also because the spectrum was free!
So within 10 years Spain saw an increase in operators in hundreds (I've seen a list of over 1000 registered operators at the regulator body some years ago...) and coverage is now probably 90% of the country where prices of internet is now as low, or even lower, as in my home country.....

This would never have happened if early Wisps would have been denied cheap access to the ether.
Probably this forum would never had existed if free frequencies would have been denied to us....