Community discussions

MikroTik App

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: HAP AC

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:54 pm

You can't increase it, you can lower it.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:58 am

Maybe i am too dumb or too blind or i just dont get it, but how do i increase the tx power on the hAP AC to increase range?
Default value is Maximum. It already transmits at 1W. Range should be more than your phone can handle. Only lowering is possible.

deanMKD1

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:29 pm

Have someone make a test about 5Ghz signal strength ? Some tests to File Transfer via 5Ghz if possible. :D

byry
just joined

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:00 pm

Hello.

Network name for 5ghz and 2.4ghz can have the same name ?

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:05 pm

Why not ? They do not "see" each other. Client @ 5GHz will see one and these @ 2.4 GHz will see the second interface.
You can have same name on any interface to use "roaming" function .. when the client losts access to one AP then the device looks for other AP with same name.

littlebill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:18 pm

can anyone else confirm the same distance limitation the other user posted compared to the 951?

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:20 pm

Why not ? They do not "see" each other. Client @ 5GHz will see one and these @ 2.4 GHz will see the second interface.
You can have same name on any interface to use "roaming" function .. when the client losts access to one AP then the device looks for other AP with same name.
Of course you can use the same SSID. There a feature named "band steering" would be helpful. It make sense to move Wireless clients to the 5GHz band as long as the signal is strong enough.

Quindor

Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:34 pm

I received my hAP AC's today and am currently running them through several tests.

For now I've been doing access-point tests on it without CAPsMAN or anything like that. Just setting one to "station pseudobridge" and the other to "ap-bridge" like I had previously for bridging my main PC to my network.

Quick results (more detailed will follow later) is that I'm hitting 500Mbits without too much issue but that at that point the CPU is at 99% or around there and that does seem to be the current bottleneck. I tested it using 6.33.5 with wireless-cm2 and with 6.35rc12 using wireless-rep on both ends, that doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

All tests done using iperf2 on 1Gbit interfaces and beefy Quad-Core machines on both sides.

I have more detailed results which I will publish later on. I will also do some simple NAT tests for those interested.

ayufan

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:09 pm

I got my hAP AC.

The results are not that great. I get around 450Mbps on AC (with MacBook Pro 2015) to LAN. I get around 300-350Mbps with NAT (85% of CPU).

What is interesting is the CPU usage when the hAP AC is sending: it's then around 20-30% (50% when doing AC+NAT with 300Mbps TCP), on the other hand when receiving at full speed it is 95-100%.

MetaRouter is not working for RouterOS. It's is constantly in booting state. When I put the OpenWrt image, it did boot, but the AC performance is cut to around 200Mbps with NAT. The CPU is constantly at 100%.

So in the end, as I assumed: this is unpowered device with unpowered CPU with a unreasonably small amount flash (16MB) for that class of the device and for this price.

And as with my previous tests, the MetaRouter performance s.cks (even when doing nothing). It basically kills the performance of RB :(

One funny note and disappointing. I have Archer C7 v2 (the Archer C7 v2 has the same CPU, same AC chipset and same amount of SPI storage [16MB]). To Archer C7 with OpenWrt on board my MacBook Pro connects with 1300Mbps (as you would expect when the distance between router and Mac is 80cm and there's no other networks around), but the hAP AC fails to get more than ~850Mbps.

Final word, with recent improvements in RouterOS (fast path and fast track) this gives a big boost to the performance, but as for Wireless I'm a disappointed. It's significantly faster compared to OpenWrt with the same specs. However, if you add to that picture broken OpenVPN in RouterOS I would discourage to use that device for home if you have less than 200Mbps Internet connection. It may be quite reasonable choice if you have at least 250Mbps Internet, but then I would invest a little more bucks to get more powerful one where you can also connect printer, and setup some DLNA server.

Let's hope that v7 gets the improved OpenVPN.

Quindor

Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:56 pm

One funny note and disappointing. I have Archer C7 v2 (the Archer C7 v2 has the same CPU, same AC chipset and same amount of SPI storage [16MB]). To Archer C7 with OpenWrt on board my MacBook Pro connects with 1300Mbps (as you would expect when the distance between router and Mac is 80cm and there's no other networks around), but the hAP AC fails to get more than ~850Mbps.
Interesting. What actual transfer rates do you see with the Archer C7 when doing a transfer over AC?

I've been testing some more and also with different clients (an AC phone and N laptops) and for me range and throughput seems to be good. I guess it's not great/excellent as some others, but I believe it's well within line as to what is to be expected for what the device is. If you need that, buy a ~500$ consumer router I guess, the hAP AC is more suitable when using multiple access-points. It's giving me more throughput then I had on my N devices before and it's consistent. I tested several spots in the house and it seems to be doing just fine.

Also, pings over my bridge are rock solid and the pair never drops a ping.

Realistic AC throughput is more around 400Mbit (~50MB/sec) in a good situation. At that point it's not yet CPU limited but rather radio connection limited. That also brings me to an interesting point. Getting more then 400Mbit would be a real-world challenge on the radio and reception strength part. So having the CPU limit at 500Mbit (60MB/sec) might not be such a horrible issue when using it as a dedicated access-point. Since you won't reach that high in a normal situation anyway.

ayufan

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:26 am

Interesting. What actual transfer rates do you see with the Archer C7 when doing a transfer over AC?
I guess it's not great/excellent as some others, but I believe it's well within line as to what is to be expected for what the device is. If you need that, buy a ~500$ consumer router I guess, the hAP AC is more suitable when using multiple access-points.
Realistic AC throughput is more around 400Mbit (~50MB/sec) in a good situation. At that point it's not yet CPU limited but rather radio connection limited. That also brings me to an interesting point...
On Archer C7: 1053-1170Mbps 3 streams. On MikroTik it has problem to use 3 streams, usually it uses 2.

500$? not really I would say around 200-250$.

One more note for all concerned that switch chip has only 1Gbit CPU link. You should not be if you have asymmetric internet connection. It easily achieves over 800Mbps throughput when routing between two ethernet ports. I did test that.
Last edited by ayufan on Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:41 am

I wonder if this is due to internal vs external antennas. Internal does look prettier, but I'm sure most of us are power users who want the best performance.

Does anyone know if the replaceable antenna is ufl or mmcx? It's hard to see from the photos.

ayufan

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:21 am

Does anyone know if the replaceable antenna is ufl or mmcx? It's hard to see from the photos.
In docs is written that this is ufl, but only for third chain of 2GHz and 5GHz.

littlebill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:55 am

any comparison in range to the 951?

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:16 am

In docs is written that this is ufl, but only for third chain of 2GHz and 5GHz.
Thanks, I'm thinking of putting mine in a stationbox inspot enclosure and replace the 3rd chain antennas on both frequencies. Hopefully the board can be removed from the case easily to fit the enclosure.

pateutz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:53 am

Hi all,

I am wonder if the new hap AC fits in Station Box In Spot ?
The new router have the same dimension as RB951Ui-2HnD ?

Best Regards,

Daniel

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:13 am

Hi all,

Best Regards,

Daniel
Yes, it is exactly the same box. The sticker is different, there is a new SFP port in the front and there is a new Reset button next to the USB port. Otherwise, dimensions are the same

pateutz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:05 am

Hi all,

Best Regards,

Daniel
Yes, it is exactly the same box. The sticker is different, there is a new SFP port in the front and there is a new Reset button next to the USB port. Otherwise, dimensions are the same

Ok Normis,

Thanks for the info. Great news then.
I have a Station Box In Spot case but because i have not seen one yet in Romania i was not sure that can be put in in the case.

Best Regards,

Daniel

keisim
just joined

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:21 pm

Normis,

Pictures shared by G2Dolphin show antenna connectors for each of 6 streams. 4 connectors look like switchable ones (internal antenna is disconneted when plug is inserted).

Could you please let us know the type of these 6 connectors?

I planned to buy 2 hAP acs for home (1 for each floor) but I'm afraid of range. I would like to have a posiibility to attach 6 external antennas in a custom box to increase RX range (TX should not be a problem beacuse of high RF output power).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:34 pm

Those are uFL connectors, but they have epoxy on them. They can't be easily taken off.
The others are test points, not connectors.

Quindor

Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:04 pm

@ayufan So you are seeing a higher connection rate. I would imagine so with external antenna's, but what actual transfer rates are you seeing when doing a comparative test?

I've been doing some more tests, this time with the hAP AC configured as my "production" access-point using a CAPsMAN setup.

Piping all the traffic through CAPsMAN (No local breakout) seems to lower the max throughput to around ~280Mbit (35MB/sec). At that time the hAP AC is again hitting CPU limits. So running without local breakout seems to halve the maximum throughput that can be achieved. My CAPsMAN controller is a CCR1009 which doesn't even see much of a raise in CPU usage for that amount of traffic, so it's not the bottleneck.

All in all the device has been performing fair I would say. The range seems decent, but trying to get the best transfers rates needs me moving everything around to find the most optimal signal strength, nice in a test setup, but that won't fly during normal usage. It's also always faster then my N setup was before this and the radio's seem very good at handling multiple clients and consistent ping times/latency. In that regard I like the hAP AC very much.

(I can't compare it with a RB951G-2HnD because I don't own one, the range does seem to be about the same as the RB2011 which I've used a lot).

I do also notice the difference in CPU usage when sending or receiving, it's odd to see. In CAPsMAN mode this also seems to have a direct influence on transfer speeds (when the radio link is very strong). I can do 35MB/sec with max CPU one way and 45MB/sec the other way without hitting a max CPU. Both hAP AC connecting to each other in this setup.

All-in-all I like the hAP AC as an access-point. Yes it has it's shortcomings, but I feel that the combination of the antenna sensitivity and CPU power kind of matches each other for the price. Yes I can get it to CPU limit with 2 hAP AC's connected together and having them positioned in the most ideal way possible, but that's not a real life scenario. In most real worlds scenario's, with the antenna's that it has, the CPU will be enough (only barely in CAPsMAN mode though). So is it the greatest AC access-point out there? No, certainly not. But I think it does well for the price that it costs, both in sensitivity/radio's and CPU power.

As a router/firewall/access-point you will have to manage your expectations. If you want AC and a decent router/firewall for up to a 100 or maybe 200Mbit link. Get it, it's an awesome little device! You will be able to use the your full Internet speed over wireless and all will be great!

Anything more then that and you will need to start splitting tasks up. Get a HEX as gateway for instance and the hAP AC as your access-point. Need more power, get a RB3011 or a CCR1009 like I have and get several hAP AC for your home or office situation and you will again have a great setup.

Do you want bleeding edge speeds combined with maximum coverage and Gigabit routing speeds all combined in one device? The hAP AC isn't going to do that. A consumer router of around 300$ or more will. That doesn't give you the power of RouterOS though, but that's a choice.

p.s. I will try to write a blog post soon with more detailed findings and test results and will post the link here when it's done.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:24 pm

I will try to write a blog post soon with more detailed findings and test results and will post the link here when it's done.
Awesome write-up. Did you happen to try it using CAPSMan, but with local forwarding? That's a scenario I've considered, and think this would give you the most speed through the AP because it removes the encapsulation/decapsulation burden from the hAP's CPU.

aleh
just joined

Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:36 pm

Anybody had time to check the idle power consumption? E.g. one eth connected.
Thx!

Quindor

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:46 pm

@aleh Doing some tests I judge idle wattage to be around 3 to 4 watt. The max power usage I don't know yet, but the data given is confusing. Routerboard.com states max 17 watt, the little paper included with the hAP AC in the box says 5 watt. I'm inclined to believe the max 17 watt because the adapter that comes with it is a 24v 1.2A one, that equates to 28.8 watt. Mikrotik also uses 24v 0.8A (19.2 watt) and 24v 0.38A (9.12 watt) adapters. If the stated 5 watt would be correct, they would have included a lower amperage adapter so I'm thinking 17 watt is the correct max value.

Interesting results!

It seems loading the hAP AC with firewall (connection tracking on) and NAT, it doesn't slow it down? I just setup a situation where I have a hAP AC connected using a cable to my network, setup NAT and FastTrack, DHCP, DNS, etc. I turned on wireless and bridged it to the LAN ports on the hAP AC and tested with a 1Gbit cable.

Then I got a second hAP AC and pseudobridged it to the first hAP AC. It got a LAN IP as expected and I continued doing the same tests. To my surprise I'm still hitting the maximum of ~500Mbit! Even slightly above it because they are situated closer together. That would mean, performing the NAT for those 500Mbits of traffic doesn't cost any performance? Reversing the traffic flow did load it higher (100%) but still produced up to 480Mbit! All going through wireless and going through NAT.

I will have more detailed statistics on my blog but the hAP AC seems suited to route/firewall a Gigabit connection (when using fasttrack) and even over wireless it seems to be able to serve the full 500Mbit to clients without slowing down!

Remember though, this is without any other rules. Just NAT and Fasttrack.

--update
I just finished writing a kind of review with more detailed statistics on my blog. You can find it here!
Last edited by Quindor on Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aleh
just joined

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:08 pm

@Quindor: perfect, thx a lot!

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:50 am

--update
I just finished writing a kind of review with more detailed statistics on my blog. You can find it here!
i think the power supply is fine because the usb port and poe output, for that the 28 watt of the power supply are just tight enough

good review

cpliu903
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:15 am

I just finished writing a kind of review with more detailed statistics on my blog. You can find it here![/b]
It's very great review !!!
the hAP AC will never be able to achieve it's 3x3 AC radio maximum a 1300Mbit link would allow for. Realistically and the highest I've ever seen in a review that would result in a transfer of about ~700Mbit / 87,50MB/sec. So the hAP AC is not that far off but still, strictly speaking it is CPU limited.
@normis for next generation version, can use dual core CPU ?

RouterboardMan
just joined

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:38 am

Does anyone know how the antenna's work in this router?
I can see from the picture and from opening one up there is only 1 antenna on the 3rd chain.

How do the first and second chains get signal with no antenna?

I have 2 of these and one I have really poor range and the second works well.
Literally I go 6 metres away and nothing, compared to the other I can go more like 20m. This is on the 5Ghz.

I thought that maybe the antenna was loose but I opened it and it was fine.

I also have issues where the radio doesn't accept new connections/get DHCP and I can see that the radio is on but I can't connect to it and in Winbox interfaces I see 0/0/0 packets rx/tx etc.

It seems to randomly start working again without me needing to do anything.
I did notice that the wireless light goes between sometimes solid green, green/red flashing, solid red. I don't know what they mean.

I'm pretty familiar with RouterOS as this is not the first RouterBoard that I have had.

Performance wise WAN/NAT I have a 100Mb connection and it shows no slowdowns and uses about 12% CPU so I'm pretty happy. Coming from a RB2011 which could get 100Mb but at 50% utilisation with basic rules or 100% with VPN/QoS rules on it.

RouterboardMan
just joined

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:02 am

Also does anyone know/think it would be worth replacing the antenna's with these?

http://routerboard.com/ACSWI

I can see that there are 3 cutouts in the case where the antenna's could mount to, but they have placed the sticker over it to cover the holes.

kiler129

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:10 am

Also does anyone know/think it would be worth replacing the antenna's with these?
Not a chance - proper beamforming in 802.11ac require specific antennas & it's placement.
I can see that there are 3 cutouts in the case where the antenna's could mount to, but they have placed the sticker over it to cover the holes.
They have universal form for plastic molding. They are pretty expensive so it's smart to use one for multiple models - most of companies are doing that.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Those are uFL connectors, but they have epoxy on them. They can't be easily taken off.
The others are test points, not connectors.
Are you suggesting that the 3rd chain antennas are not meant to be user replaceable?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:42 pm

Yes, we never mentioned that antennas can be replaced. You could technicaly remove the glue and replace two antennas from six, but I don't recommend doing that. If you like to build, I can recommend our PCB products where you can make dual-band devices (RB922 and similar)

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:02 pm

Yes, we never mentioned that antennas can be replaced. You could technicaly remove the glue and replace two antennas from six, but I don't recommend doing that. If you like to build, I can recommend our PCB products where you can make dual-band devices (RB922 and similar)
From the manual...

brwainer

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:00 am

How do the first and second chains get signal with no antenna?
See the weird shaped bent metal bits in the corners of the PCB? Those are the antennas for the first and second chain. That is very common for devices that have no external antennas, almost all manufacturers are doing that now. I wouldn't expect them all to be doing that if there aren't good reasons for it.

djdrastic

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:52 am

@aleh Doing some tests I judge idle wattage to be around 3 to 4 watt. The max power usage I don't know yet, but the data given is confusing. Routerboard.com states max 17 watt, the little paper included with the hAP AC in the box says 5 watt. I'm inclined to believe the max 17 watt because the adapter that comes with it is a 24v 1.2A one, that equates to 28.8 watt. Mikrotik also uses 24v 0.8A (19.2 watt) and 24v 0.38A (9.12 watt) adapters. If the stated 5 watt would be correct, they would have included a lower amperage adapter so I'm thinking 17 watt is the correct max value.

Quindor thanks for the great writeup.
Can you comment on heat buildup ?
I see you had UAP-ACv1's which I absolutely hate as all of my UAC-ACv1's have pretty much reached an inferno death due to poor heat conductivity/ventilation.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:09 am

Quindor thanks for the great writeup.
Can you comment on heat buildup ?
I see you had UAP-ACv1's which I absolutely hate as all of my UAC-ACv1's have pretty much reached an inferno death due to poor heat conductivity/ventilation.

i think power supply sizing takes in count the USB port connected device power consumption that's 7 watt and POE output feature which is 0.5amp capable that takes 12 watt in theory leaving 10 watt for AP that's 17 watt for AP with USB device connected

ohh yeah UAP AC V1 are hot like hell

sass
just joined

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:30 pm

I think many of us are interested in these question, but according to what was happening before - we will know it only when device will be released :)

I have question about using these device (or some other from MT family) with Lattelecom (ISP in LV) - can these device be used instead of Lattelecom optical modem? I've been searching these question in Google, in these and in Lattelecom forum but didn't found a reply... maybe local guys from these forum know reply?

Quindor

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:22 pm

Yeah, those UAP-AC's where running very warm!

The hAP AC seems to run luke warm to the touch. Internal heatlh mostly hovers around 46C. Using a laser thermal meter the outside of the case is around 32C to 34C on the top and the vents (the chassis is well vented) are a bit hotter. The most heat comes from the bottom side where I can measure up to 40C with the laser thermal meter. It's just luke warm to the touch though. So I don't see any issues there.

It's certainly not as scorchingly hot as the UAP-AC would get. That design also had the issue that the only vents the chassis had was screwed against the ceiling thus couldn't vent any hot air anymore anyway. The hAP AC has rubber feet lifting it off the table or wall you put it and all in all has a better vent design all around.

ka4opi4a

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:49 pm

Today i receve my hAP AC. I have cooper sfp module 10/100/1000 like this one http://www.kst-bg.com/shop/hi-tech-man/ ... 0_100_1000 and it's not working. I try to force ethernet of the sfp to 100 and 1000 but it's not working. I guess it's a compatibility issue. Anyone using a cooper sfp ?

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:41 pm

Well, let´s call it:

"HAP AC2" :D

- Of course with some 802.11ac (wave 2) ASIC, e.g. with QCA9984
- What about a coprocessor? ( Of course an Atheros ASIC does have a processor for handling firewall rules, but when I look at my switches with Broadcom Trident ASICs, some of them have a Freescale P2020 CPU (for whatever reason)) So you cannot change the Atheros Wifi ASIC, but you could add another CPU for the rest)

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:57 pm

Today i receve my hAP AC. I have cooper sfp module 10/100/1000 like this one http://www.kst-bg.com/shop/hi-tech-man/ ... 0_100_1000 and it's not working. I try to force ethernet of the sfp to 100 and 1000 but it's not working. I guess it's a compatibility issue. Anyone using a cooper sfp ?
Why do you don´t use this?
http://routerboard.com/S-RJ01

ka4opi4a

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:27 am

Probably I will. Just have some of thease in my desk. By the way my hAP AC holding temps around 55 degree without doing anything

cpliu903
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:02 am

Well, let´s call it:

"HAP AC2" :D

- Of course with some 802.11ac (wave 2) ASIC, e.g. with QCA9984
- What about a coprocessor? ( Of course an Atheros ASIC does have a processor for handling firewall rules, but when I look at my switches with Broadcom Trident ASICs, some of them have a Freescale P2020 CPU (for whatever reason)) So you cannot change the Atheros Wifi ASIC, but you could add another CPU for the rest)
Why cannot use TILE ( dual core ) or PowerPC or Cavium MIPS64 ??? Atheros processor is too bad.

Let' discuss next generation version. :D

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:07 am

Why cannot use TILE ( dual core ) or PowerPC or Cavium MIPS64 ??? Atheros processor is too bad.

Let' discuss next generation version. :D
smallest tilera is 9 core

i think dual core power pc like 850gx2 will be nice or ARM like rb3011

off course the cost will be higher

if just the RB3011 had two pci express interface the miracle will happen a very powerfull modular dual band ap/router

kiler129

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:53 am

Yesterday I've got mine from EuroDK - it took 5 days to deliver the router including 2 days of weekend. I think it's an amazing result :D

deanMKD1

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:35 pm

Yesterday I've got mine from EuroDK - it took 5 days to deliver the router including 2 days of weekend. I think it's an amazing result :D
Can you make file transfer test with 5Ghz please?

G2Dolphin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:02 pm

Mine Finisar FCLF8521P2BTL isn't working too. Krisjanis tested it with latest firmware on his own hAP ac, and it works, so probably 6.35 will fix it.

ka4opi4a

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:20 pm

That's a good news. The coverage of hAP AC is really good. Compared to Linksys E3200, hAP AC is way batter.

kiler129

Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:43 am

Can you make file transfer test with 5Ghz please?
Unfortunately I cannot perform reliable measurements because my server currently has a 10/100 card, so it's useless to do a test with the BTest only.

Edit:
Through local connection via bridge I'm getting 460-480Mb/s.

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:48 pm

QCA9558 articles that talk about performance improvements:

Well, it´s FreeBSD:
10/2015:http://adrianchadd.blogspot.de/2015/10/ ... ce-on.html
The bug is fixed and things perform now at a much faster rate - 720mbit. Yup, it bridges at 720mbit and it routes at around 320mbit
But this one is Linux:
2/2016: http://people.netfilter.org/hawk/presen ... ce_BoF.pdf
Example: Routing/NAT speed, base: 268 Mbit/s
● After insmod nf_conntrack_rtcache: 360 Mbit/s
● After rmmod iptable_mangle: 390 Mbit/s
● After rmmod iptable_raw: 400 Mbit/s
There might be improvements for the RouterOS, aswell?

deanMKD1

Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:51 pm

i meen how MB/s you see when transfer files via Samba for ex. between two laptops via 5Ghz.

michaelahess
just joined

Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:55 pm

I'm considering this device but wanted input from those of you more knowledgeable than me!

I currently have a 60x4 cable connection with a Netgear R6200 being used as just a router with DD-WRT. I then have a Netgear R6300 being used as an AP. Around 30 wireless devices, 1/4th are AC, the rest a split between G and N.

The Netgear's go into my CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD-IN that's only used as a switch. That switch's router function and my old RB750G couldn't handle my wan connection, speedtests would regularly show 30-38 at the most, with no rules even. So the R6200 was used to replace that.

Will this new device be able to outperform the R6200 and have comparable wireless range/speeds to the R6300? I believe the R6300 is a bit slower than the Archer C7 someone mentioned here, so I'm hoping it would be indistinguishable from those routers wireless wise?

I currently do get the full 60x4, usually a bit more, around 64-68 at times, with wireless over the R6300/R6200 combo. Internal file transfers are not really an issue but I can push a few hundred Mb usually to my NAS. The switch will easily do 800+Mb between wired clients so I'm pretty sure it's not bottlenecking me any.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Quindor

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:52 pm

@michaelahess

Depending on desired rules and such, it should easily suffice.

If you read back a bit, or look at my review here, you can see it should be able to handle up to 500Mbit downloads, from internet using NAT over wireless when you have a good AC wireless connection with it.

Realistically with some more rules in the firewall, a bit of VPN and on the wireless side some other signals in the house, walls and distance you should still see around 200 - 300Mbit AC connections (effective TCP throughput, much higher connection speeds) and a bit more over LAN I suspect.. It can easily handle all the routing and stuff like that at the same time.

So yes, I think it could be a good fit and you could consolidate your equipment a bit too!

p.s. With some setting changes I believe your CRS125 should be able to handle it easily too.

michaelahess
just joined

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:45 pm

Thanks for that Quindor! I am aiming to consolidate. I tried all sorts of things with the CRS but just couldn't get it, even with a very basic NAT config, to hit over 30ish. I don't mind leaving it as a switch, it replaced my excessive cisco 2960s.

I'll order one of these and see what I can get out of it. Thanks again for the quick response!

Quindor

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:50 pm

Thanks for that Quindor! I am aiming to consolidate. I tried all sorts of things with the CRS but just couldn't get it, even with a very basic NAT config, to hit over 30ish. I don't mind leaving it as a switch, it replaced my excessive cisco 2960s.

I'll order one of these and see what I can get out of it. Thanks again for the quick response!
Happy to help :)

It's a common problem, have you tried the following?
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=92711#p463429

The CRS125 should easily be able to handle 60Mbit. Up to 150Mbit or 200Mbit. With fastport/fastpath much more!

michaelahess
just joined

Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:40 pm

I stopped fiddling with the CRS about a year ago. Haven't tried the queue or fastpath stuff I don't think. I bought it as a switch anyway, just figured I'd try the router function when I got it. Used the wireless for a bit, but it's even disabled now. When I get the HAP I might start playing a bit more, thanks for the link and suggestions!

nimbo78
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:13 pm

Did anybody try to connect Google Nexus 5 to hAP ac with 802.11ac-only network?
with this:
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode antenna-gain=1 band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-Ceee country=russia \
    disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto hw-protection-mode=rts-cts mode=ap-bridge name=wlan-5GHz ssid=78 wireless-protocol=802.11
Nexus 5 works fine in 802.11n only.

byry
just joined

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:22 pm

My old macbook ( MD313 ) can't connect to ac when channel width is selected to 20/40/80mhz.
Connection is ok on 20/40mhz.

alasdaircs
just joined

Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:50 pm

Is there any guidance on how many active users/devices can successfully link up to a hAP ac? The 2nd gen UniFi AC units state they'll handle 200 concurrent users...

Also, what antennae are compatible with the hAP ac?

Thanks.

tolake
just joined

Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:42 pm

@nimbo78

I have Nexus5 with Jolla (it uses CM11 drivers)
root@Jolla nemo# iw wlan0 link
Connected to ************(on wlan0)
	SSID:
	freq: 5180
	signal: -40 dBm
	tx bitrate: 390.0 MBit/s

And router has:

1  R name="wlan2" mtu=1500 l2mtu=1600 arp=enabled interface-type=Atheros AR9888 mode=ap-bridge
      frequency=5180 band=5ghz-onlyac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-Ceee scan-list=default wireless-protocol=802.11 vlan-mode=no-tag vlan-id=1 
      wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none wds-ignore-ssid=no bridge-mode=enabled default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=yes 
      default-ap-tx-limit=0 default-client-tx-limit=0 hide-ssid=no security-profile=default compression=no 
But it can connect only at lowest available freq.
When Samsung Note tablet has no problems at freq 5260, Nexus5 fails.

EDIT: My problem was Nexus not accepting DFS channels.
Last edited by tolake on Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

aa007
just joined

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:21 pm

I would like to give you guys a heads up and ask for advice, because it seems there is a faulty series of HAP AC with somehow corrupted switch causing terrible performance on ethernet ports - I still hope its some kind of software issue (or maybe wrong config) but support is not responding to our emails, so we are kept in the dark here...
More information can be found here: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106176 If anybody knows what can cause this I would love to hear about it.

joke
just joined

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:24 am

I would like to give you guys a heads up and ask for advice, because it seems there is a faulty series of HAP AC with somehow corrupted switch causing terrible performance on ethernet ports - I still hope its some kind of software issue (or maybe wrong config) but support is not responding to our emails, so we are kept in the dark here...
More information can be found here: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106176 If anybody knows what can cause this I would love to hear about it.
I was having similar problems, please see http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=105764

My suspects were PPPoE or configuration issues, but it's quite possible it's something with the switch. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to investigate further and issue a formal support request. But your experience makes me think it's time for that :-(

aa007
just joined

Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:31 am

So ... it seems that temperature is the problem - with increasing temperature the available speed is dramatically decreasing. More info can be found here: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 93#p530493

joke: could you also try temperature testing? Where have you bought it? We have it from Czech distribution

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:11 pm

Is there any guidance on how many active users/devices can successfully link up to a hAP ac? The 2nd gen UniFi AC units state they'll handle 200 concurrent users...

Also, what antennae are compatible with the hAP ac?

Thanks.
based on my experience

i think no matter the brand and no matter what marketing says:

maximum devices associated recommended are 50 per radio

of that 50 associated devices maximum 25-30 devices with concurrent traffic per radio

that's for maintain an acceptable to just good performance and stability, keep in mind a wireless radio is a shared half duplex medium that is the available bandwidth is shared between devices

another important thing is: the radio will work at the speed of connected device using it at that specific instant, for example when you have a 802.11n 2x2:2 2.4ghz radio on 20mhz channel you have a theoretical 144mbps maximum data-rate, that's equal to a maximum real traffic throughput of around 80-120mbps using a client supporting 2x2:2 with a perfect signal quality and very close to the access-point, but most clients are 1x1:1 that leaves a maximum data-rate of 72mbps that's equal to a maximum real traffic throughput of around 40-60mbps with a perfect signal quality and very close to the access-point, but most devices in a good scenario get data-rates between 24mbps-65mbps that's equal to a maximum real traffic throughput of around 12mbps-35mbps.

That 12mbps-35mbps is the real capacity shared between the connected devices if you divide the best case 35mbps between 30 concurrent devices you have 1.1mbps per device.

If we move to 5ghz 802.11ac 3x3:3 radio on 40mhz (in most scenarios 80mz will be not viable without co-channel interference) in the best case you increase to a 70mbps-100mbps of total real capacity, that increase to 3.3mbps per device using 30 concurrent devices.

Of course i have seen radios with 100 devices associated but only the management traffic needed generated degrade the performance and saturate the spectrum.

is not the same testing with 1-5 devices than testing with 40 or 50 devices, things change a lot

QoS have an influence on this check this image taken from another vendor public presentation they even not test beyond 32 concurrent devices

we can see:
for voip the max recommended concurrent device count is around 14 devices beyond that performance degrades
for video the max recommended concurrent device count is around 25 devices beyond that performance degrades
for another kind of traffic the max recommended concurrent device count is still around 25 devices beyond that performance degraded but at a rate less pronounced than voice of video traffic
airtime qos wifi wlan.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alasdaircs
just joined

Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:24 pm

i think no matter the brand and no matter what marketing says:

maximum devices associated recommended are 50 per radio

of that 50 associated devices maximum 25-30 devices with concurrent traffic per radio
I follow the logic - however I recently asked my distributor about about doing an outdoor event and they recommended Ruckus saying:
Ruckus would be a better option as each AP can cover up to 500 users and is designed for Density amongst users in these types of environments
I know they have BeamFlex+, but the detail says it's about synthetic polarisation and I find it hard to believe that offers the claimed
8X expanded coverage
, but perhaps it really is worth paying top dollar for tog dog equipment.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:22 am

I follow the logic - however I recently asked my distributor about about doing an outdoor event and they recommended Ruckus saying:
Ruckus would be a better option as each AP can cover up to 500 users and is designed for Density amongst users in these types of environments
I know they have BeamFlex+, but the detail says it's about synthetic polarisation and I find it hard to believe that offers the claimed
8X expanded coverage
, but perhaps it really is worth paying top dollar for tog dog equipment.

i know a big isp in my country in legal problems because this unfulfilled promise using ruckus equipment

the seller sells, it is his job

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:51 pm

My order delivery just changed again.

First it said March. Then April. Now it reads June!

Here I was trying to get something other than Ruckus.

kiler129

Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:00 am

My order delivery just changed again.
Which country? US?

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:52 pm

Yes. US.

kiler129

Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:38 am

So in this case I recommend you to import them from Europe ;)
You could find details in this post http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 91#p523191 (+ two posts below it).

I've got mine from EuroDK - it took around a week and there were no problems.

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Duplicate post about a hAP AC related problem that I encountered two days ago:

I noticed that when all three chains were enabled on the 2.4GHz interface of the hAP AC, not all devices could associate. For example two phones, one with Android and the other with Windows Phone could not connect, even at 2m away. When I turned off chain 2 (the third chain) the devices which were not associating before, could connect successfully. Same with chain 1, although speeds seemed to be lower in this case.

The 5GHz interface does not seem to have such a problem. I think (I am not sure though) that this is something that occured lately. Unfortuantely, it was not reported earlier so I cannot give any further info. But my observation above was made two days ago, with RC45. It existed for at least two weeks back though.

Has anyone experienced similar behaviour?

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:04 am

So, can I order the international model and set my country to United States? Will it automatically only use the legal US frequency range? I don't want to get into trouble. The US resellers are nearing June now.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:43 am

So, can I order the international model and set my country to United States? Will it automatically only use the legal US frequency range? I don't want to get into trouble. The US resellers are nearing June now.
You could, but the US model will have a non-removable lock, so you can't change the country. This is now required for new products, as per new rules in US.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:19 pm

You could, but the US model will have a non-removable lock, so you can't change the country. This is now required for new products, as per new rules in US.
Wish I knew that sooner.

Someone else took all the international stock I found.

kiler129

Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:25 am

Yes, you can order the international model and use it, however it's your responsibility to set proper country in settings. I believe the US-one is the same as the international one except the country setting is enforced by the wireless chip firmware rather than by ROS.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:32 pm

Just ordered the international version from Roc-Noc.

10 minutes later they called me back to tell me that can't sell it to me. "It's for export only." "No idea when the US version will be available."

w0lt
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:43 pm

Just ordered the international version from Roc-Noc.

10 minutes later they called me back to tell me that can't sell it to me. "It's for export only." "No idea when the US version will be available."
They (Roc-Noc) are such "teasers" aren't they.. :lol:

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:25 am

Just ordered the international version from Roc-Noc. 10 minutes later they called me back to tell me that can't sell it to me. "It's for export only." "No idea when the US version will be available."
I called him today to see if his stock was real. He said basically the same. Thanks for trying :-)

mrcajunjoker
just joined

Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:50 am

So I have a RB951G and fairly happy with the coverage however the wifi is dropping out until a reboot of the device brings it back. It's up to date at 6.34.4. I know that it shows a 1000mW power output for the wifi where the HAP AC doesn't mention the power. Can anyone offer any info on this? How do they compare?

kiler129

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:48 am

US company cannot legally sell you product not complaining with FCC rules. However if you buy from company aboard (e.g. EuroDK via Amazon or via their website: http://www.eurodk.com/en/products/wifi- ... ard-hap-ac) they will send you the router, but you're the importer and you're responsible for everything.
Basically it's not a problem if you mount this AP in home and use whatever frequency you like unless you're not leaking it outside your walls. The problem in USA are the walls itself - they are mostly... well, made of paper. In my home I can see (using just my builtin laptop wireless) dozen of 2.4 networks from apartments located easily 60m from me. FCC is just protecting the space in 5Ghz to prevent the same situation. Also some frequencies are colliding with weather radars.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:31 pm

Got my hAP AC from EuroDK today, and with some minor modding of the bracket it fits perfectly in the Stationbox Inspot. Also replaced the antennas, was much easier than anticipated (the glue comes away very easily with a hot air dryer). Now just need to get it mounted and enjoy my new AC wireless network :).

soonwai
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:59 pm

So I have a RB951G and fairly happy with the coverage however the wifi is dropping out until a reboot of the device brings it back. It's up to date at 6.34.4. I know that it shows a 1000mW power output for the wifi where the HAP AC doesn't mention the power. Can anyone offer any info on this? How do they compare?
From the hAP AC brochure, it shows as 29dBM for 2.4Ghz and 28dBM for 5Ghz. That's 794mW and 631mW respectively. Hope that helps.

anuser
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:03 pm

Got my hAP AC from EuroDK today, and with some minor modding of the bracket it fits perfectly in the Stationbox Inspot. Also replaced the antennas, was much easier than anticipated (the glue comes away very easily with a hot air dryer). Now just need to get it mounted and enjoy my new AC wireless network :).
Would the HAP AC fit into the Inspot with its case?

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:25 am

Would the HAP AC fit into the Inspot with its case?
Yes, it has the same dimensions as the RB951G, even down to the spacing of the plastic feet. To be honest this is probably the best way of doing things, I didn't get as large of an improvement as I'd hoped from using custom omni antennas.

Last edited by R1CH on Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:26 am

according to data-sheets tx power and rx sensitivity are very similar
RB951 HAP AC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Naurislv

Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:28 am

Duplicate post about a hAP AC related problem that I encountered two days ago:

I noticed that when all three chains were enabled on the 2.4GHz interface of the hAP AC, not all devices could associate. For example two phones, one with Android and the other with Windows Phone could not connect, even at 2m away. When I turned off chain 2 (the third chain) the devices which were not associating before, could connect successfully. Same with chain 1, although speeds seemed to be lower in this case.

The 5GHz interface does not seem to have such a problem. I think (I am not sure though) that this is something that occured lately. Unfortuantely, it was not reported earlier so I cannot give any further info. But my observation above was made two days ago, with RC45. It existed for at least two weeks back though.

Has anyone experienced similar behaviour?
We have made some tests already with multiple Android phones and didn't notice any issues with third chain however we do understand that there are various ways to configure AP and maybe some configuration you made cause this.

Please make sure :

1. You are using latest RouterOS version (current or release-candidate);
2. You are using latest Firmware version;
3. You have enabled wireless-cm2/wireless-rep package;
4. Antennas in case is properly attached to connectors and does not touch the board;
5. You have added wireless logging topic
/system logging add topics=wireless
After previous steps please repeat test with multiple devices and share following information with us :

1. Log output;
2. Wireless export output;
3. Wireless registration table output (right after test);

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:46 am

Ordered 2 from amazon...

So now I am an importer?

Come on.

kiler129

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:43 am

Ordered 2 from amazon...

So now I am an importer?

Come on.
Yes, according to the rules you are. AFAIK u can buy & import non-aprvd hw but you can't sell it to anyone as a standard network eq.
This sounds ridiculous, but in fact makes sense - it allows you to buy any chips from e.g. Atheros as long as they are not end-user products.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:35 am

Ordered 2 from amazon...

So now I am an importer?

Come on.
Yes, according to the rules you are. AFAIK u can buy & import non-aprvd hw but you can't sell it to anyone as a standard network eq.
This sounds ridiculous, but in fact makes sense - it allows you to buy any chips from e.g. Atheros as long as they are not end-user products.
I would like to do something with CapsMan. But it is really starting to look like an fcc thing here in the states.

Normis teases of wAP AC being ready.. but what's that gonna take? Another year?

Distros have "no idea" when they might get US versions.

Someone give me a hack to turn a unifi pro AC into a wAP/cAP, Please!

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:47 am

Getting some strange behavior from the 2.4 GHz radio and high latency to my devices. Freq usage shows this:

But my RB951G shows this, from the same room in an almost identical spot:

The snooper doesn't show any wireless clients using the bandwidth, it all appears like this:

Anyone else seen anything like this or have any idea what's causing it?

Atlantis
just joined

Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:12 pm

I had the same behaviour and it was wireless interference from other devices. But you wouldn't guess which - wireless mouse RECIEVER. Yes, reciever. I have PC near my hAP ac and when the PC is running and reciever is plugged in, the wifi stops working. Like 95%times it won't even connect, the other 5% it works 10seconds and then dies. IT shows high frewuency usage like yours do. I did another measurement with my mAP and it shows zero wireless usage.
Maybe the wireless in hAP ac is more sensitive. But is is strange..
I currently don't have time to do some real side by side comparison with identical AP config but you are not alone :D

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:18 pm

It is possible that you are holding router too close to receiver. They can interfere with each other. Typically wireless mouses stops working, but it can be also other way around.

Just put router further away from your PC.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:39 pm

1hAP AC.

Hooked it up to my existing network.

Removed firewall
Added interfaces to the bridge.
Selected CAP

Capsmanager picked it right up.
Even set the country code to US from what I can see.

Hardwired throughput looks right on.
Wireless is terrible. Guess I have some digging to do.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:19 pm

Turning off CapsMan and just setting the unit up as an AP.... numbers get much better.

But

If you set the channel manually... throughput plummets again.
If you set the 2.4 to 20mhz... throughput goes down again.

Gennadiy51

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:07 pm

I bought the new "Router Board MikroTik hAP ac" via eBay. I have installed the latest stable version of RouterOS right away (all_packages-mipsbe-6.35.zip and firmware 3.31), default configuration.

Health is showing 16.1V voltage. I then took the power supply from RB450G, but Health was still showing the same thing. When I measured the voltage with a physical tester (voltmeter), it showed 23.0V.

Could you please precise whether this is a software bug or an issue with the device itself and I should return it?

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Probably just a faulty voltage sensor, I wouldn't worry much about it unless you're seeing other symptoms.

Gennadiy51

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Please guys, what shows your Health on RouterOS v.6.35 & fw. 3.31!!!

TaurusThree
just joined

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:46 pm

kiler129

Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:47 am

If you're worried you could always RMA it but it could be also PSU problem.

Here's my health tab on 6.34.4.

Gennadiy51

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:47 am

To TaurusThree:
What ver. RouterOS and firmware on your RB?

To killer129:
I measured the voltage with a physical tester (voltmeter), it showed 23.0V.

Siona
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:01 pm

Have you measured voltage on psu standing alone or under load?

Wysłane z mojego HTC One przy użyciu Tapatalka

TaurusThree
just joined

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:37 pm

What ver. RouterOS and firmware on your RB?.
6.35/ 3.31

Quindor

Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:24 am

Mine are measuring just fine too. I believe you have a faulty voltage measurement chip. Shouldn't effect the performance of the device but if you require it for remote readout, you should get the hAP AC exchanged.

Also, this kind of potential hardware issues is best sent to mikrotik support. Also asking on the forum is just fine of course. :)

p.s. Just to be sure, if you are injecting your hAP AC with passive POE, how long and what type of cable is connected? Using a very long cable could also cause this drop in voltage. If this might be the case, also test with the adapter directly connected to the unit.

dikkiedirk

Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi guys,

Just got a hAP AC and connected it out of the box. It sits just behind me for try-out.

I connected to it and set a wifi password, nothing else is changed for starters.

I fired up Xirrus WiFi Analyzer an ViStumbler and see a difference in 2.4 and 5 GHz signal strength: -25 dbm on 2.4 and -50 dbm on 5 GHz. Is this normal? I would expect them to be close together, because it is only 1 meter distance?

Or is some additional changes in settings required?

It is just my first steps in the Mikrotik world so I might be wrong off course.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi guys,

Just got a hAP AC and connected it out of the box. It sits just behind me for try-out.

I connected to it and set a wifi password, nothing else is changed for starters.

I fired up Xirrus WiFi Analyzer an ViStumbler and see a difference in 2.4 and 5 GHz signal strength: -25 dbm on 2.4 and -50 dbm on 5 GHz. Is this normal? I would expect them to be close together, because it is only 1 meter distance?

Or is some additional changes in settings required?

It is just my first steps in the Mikrotik world so I might be wrong off course.

You should configure wireless. At least country is needed to make TX-Power accurate. Then you might have different 5GHz Bands with different TX-Power.

kiler129

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:27 am

Little differences between 2.4 and 5 are normal since according to the documentation, but in your case probably difference comes from country regulations.
Remember that 802.11ac is way more complicated (with BF, DFS) than 802.11n, so simple software analyzer may not be accurate.

dikkiedirk

Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:16 pm

Well, I set the country correctly, Netherlands in fact and I don't see much difference. Is there also difference between countries in the EU?

MartijnVdS
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun May 01, 2016 8:55 am

Well, I set the country correctly, Netherlands in fact and I don't see much difference. Is there also difference between countries in the EU?
You can see the allowed channels and TX power with "country-info":
/interface wireless info country-info netherlands
It should show something like:
  ranges: 2402-2482/b,g,gn20,gn40(20dBm)
          2417-2457/g-turbo(20dBm)
          5170-5250/a,an20,an40,ac20,ac40,ac80,ac160(20dBm)/passive
          5250-5330/a,an20,an40,ac20,ac40,ac80,ac160(23dBm)/passive
          5490-5710/a,an20,an40,ac20,ac40,ac80,ac160(27dBm)/passive
          5190-5310/a-turbo(20dBm)
          5180-5300/a-turbo(20dBm)
          5520-5680/a-turbo(27dBm)/passive
          5510-5670/a-turbo(27dBm)/passive
          902-927/b,g,g-turbo,gn20,gn40(30dBm)
As you can see, there are 3 parts to the 5GHz frequency band (for 802.11ac), each with different allowed TX power. These values are similar/the same in most European countries, as this is coordinated by ETSI.

Don't forget that if you're using the frequencies that allow higher TX power, you need to turn on radar detection:
/interface wireless set wlan2 dfs-mode=radar-detect frequency=auto
You can make sure your preferred frequencies are used by putting them in thescan-list for the interface (add several channels, so the AP has a frequency to move to if a radar is detected).

Turning DFS/radar detection on will lead to a downtime of a minute every time you change configuration of that interface, to do a new initial radar scan.

The wiki has more information: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:In ... properties.

dikkiedirk

Sun May 01, 2016 11:45 am

Thanks for that info.
I am still learning, but that is part of the fun :)

Where do I enter these command?

In putty through SSH or telnet?

5GHz is currently at channel 116, is that already in the highest power range setting? Yes it is, ch 116 = 5580.

Another problem: my laptop with Windows 10 can't connect to this network, it has a crappy Intel AC 3160 adapter which I might upgrade sometime soon. Would a Broadcom based adapter be better?

dikkiedirk

Sun May 01, 2016 3:55 pm

One other observation:

Why is LAN port 1 (with POE in) slower than the other LAN ports. When my router is connected to port 1 I get downloadspeeds of 28 Mb/s max. When connected to one of the other LAN ports I get 40 Mb/s which is the max. my ISP allowes.

littlebill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 03, 2016 5:06 am

mine is showing 16v as well, and i also bought from ebay, 6.35.1 firmware is 3.31, voltage is actually 23.77

does your wireless LED change color green yellow red?

15.3v on poe in from a MAP2n running on 24v.

notToNew
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 03, 2016 6:28 pm

Please consider releasing a 2nd release-version of this device with more NAND, at least 32MB.
I like the device, and i like the proce, but 16MB NAND is almost to less to debug the device.
I just had to uninstall most packages including advanced-tools, ipv6, lte, ... just that the device allows debugging ipsec without bootloop.

thank you!!

MartijnVdS
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 03, 2016 11:10 pm

Please consider releasing a 2nd release-version of this device with more NAND, at least 32MB.
I like the device, and i like the proce, but 16MB NAND is almost to less to debug the device.
I just had to uninstall most packages including advanced-tools, ipv6, lte, ... just that the device allows debugging ipsec without bootloop.

thank you!!
You can add an USB drive for (log) storage, if needed.

littlebill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 03, 2016 11:33 pm

thank you!!
You can add an USB drive for (log) storage, if needed.
at over 140 dollars the pennies to increase the storage amount should have been a no brainer. i could understand it on 30-50 dollar device...

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 05, 2016 7:01 am

thank you!!
that a good point actually.
SPI storage is fine(for "storing firmware to boot-up router"), but Size.... not exactly, especially reliability-wise, considring aging/decaying rate of flash memory. so both HEX, HAP, HAP AC suffer from a bit, over time.\
but for device with $49 recommended price its still amazing offer, IMHO.

SoluS
just joined

Sun May 08, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi guys,
I've just bought HAP AC instead of 750GL and I have some difficulties with configuring WiFi.
I have my home network like that:
Before HAP AC I used TpLINK Archer C7 (5Ghz AC Wifi) to connect my laptop with AzureWave AW-CE123H (5 Ghz AC 2*2) wifi card. It was connected to LAN5 and worked just as AP.
I test connection speed by copying file from my NAS via SMB.
When using Archec C7 I get about 330 mbps (laptop shows connection speed 667 mbps):
But when I using HAP AC as WiFi Access Point, I only have about 150 mbps (laptop shows connection speed 400 mbps):
WiFi config:
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-onlyac channel-width=\
    20/40/80mhz-eeCe country=russia disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=\
    5300 frequency-mode=regulatory-domain mode=ap-bridge name=WiFi_5Ghz \
    security-profile=profile1 ssid=SoluS_5Ghz_MKTK wireless-protocol=802.11
What am I doing wrong?

nimbo78
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon May 09, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi guys,
I've just bought HAP AC instead of 750GL and I have some difficulties with configuring WiFi.
I have my home network like that:
Before HAP AC I used TpLINK Archer C7 (5Ghz AC Wifi) to connect my laptop with AzureWave AW-CE123H (5 Ghz AC 2*2) wifi card. It was connected to LAN5 and worked just as AP.
I test connection speed by copying file from my NAS via SMB.
When using Archec C7 I get about 330 mbps (laptop shows connection speed 667 mbps):
But when I using HAP AC as WiFi Access Point, I only have about 150 mbps (laptop shows connection speed 400 mbps):
WiFi config:
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-onlyac channel-width=\
    20/40/80mhz-eeCe country=russia disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=\
    5300 frequency-mode=regulatory-domain mode=ap-bridge name=WiFi_5Ghz \
    security-profile=profile1 ssid=SoluS_5Ghz_MKTK wireless-protocol=802.11
What am I doing wrong?
I have the same problem - low speed and stability issues (disconnects for ex.). also Google Nexus 5 can't connect in 5 GHz with 802.11AC-only mode, but with ZyXEL wac-6503d-s Nexus 5 works in 802.11ac fine.
my config:
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode antenna-gain=2 band=2ghz-onlyn channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce country=russia disabled=no \
    distance=indoors hw-protection-mode=rts-cts mode=ap-bridge multicast-helper=full name=wlan-2.4GHz ssid=78 tx-power=23 tx-power-mode=all-rates-fixed \
    wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=client-mode band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-eCee country=russia disabled=no distance=indoors \
    frequency=auto hw-protection-mode=rts-cts max-station-count=20 mode=ap-bridge multicast-helper=full name=wlan-5GHz preamble-mode=long ssid=78 tx-power=20 \
    tx-power-mode=all-rates-fixed wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled
so seems that hap ac is not ready for clients...... for 129$...

Quindor

Mon May 09, 2016 2:39 pm

I don't think it's so much an issue of a wrong configuration, but a difference in antenna configuration.

For starters the TP-LINK Archer C7 has external 5Dbi antenna's and the hAP AC has internal 1.5Dbi - 2.5Dbi antenna's. This means the TP-LINK will probably always have a bit better reception in similar conditions. But I suspect conditions are not similar.

The design of the antennas in the hAP AC means the antenna's are spread out in the chassis. If you just place it flat on a surface (like on a desk) that means there will be a big difference in reception to each antenna. This is fine with multiple clients around it but will not result in the greatest speeds with a single client.

Try temporarily mounting the hAP AC higher up on a wall or even better, on the ceiling. You will see big changes in throughput because the signals can now bounce a lot better through the room and reach your devices more easily. Admittedly the antenna design of the Archer C7 is easier when using it as a desk model.

For me that made the difference between ~250Mbit throughput and ~500Mbit with two wAP AC's in bridge mode.

Also, keep in mind that although the hAP AC can be used as a single access-point/firewall/router/etc. it's design is just more suited to being part of a whole (having multiple low power access-points throughout the building). I wrote a bit about this in my blog post: http://blog.quindorian.org/2016/02/revi ... great.html . If you are looking for a super high-power great antenna one AP device, the hAP AC isn't that. If you are looking for a good wireless contender with advanced features, even just as an AP it's pretty good (and very stable) but it really shines as port of a whole.
Last edited by Quindor on Sat May 14, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoluS
just joined

Mon May 09, 2016 7:37 pm

Hmm... Yes, I see that signal strength of HAP AC is a bit lower than Archer C7, but they both have too weak signal for my other room behind 0.7 meter brick wall, so it's not a big problem. I'd like to have maximum speed in room with HAP AC. My laptop is about 3-4 meters from access point. And yes, my HAP AC mounted vertically - about 1 meter above the floor.

Meanwhile, just selecting another frequency (5220 Mhz) I've got conection with theoretically 867 mbps as with Archer C7.
But SMB transfer speed is too slow again - about 220 mbps:

CPU load is below 40%. What is limiting factor now?

nimbo78
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 11, 2016 9:14 am

Hmm... Yes, I see that signal strength of HAP AC is a bit lower than Archer C7, but they both have too weak signal for my other room behind 0.7 meter brick wall, so it's not a big problem. I'd like to have maximum speed in room with HAP AC. My laptop is about 3-4 meters from access point. And yes, my HAP AC mounted vertically - about 1 meter above the floor.

Meanwhile, just selecting another frequency (5220 Mhz) I've got conection with theoretically 867 mbps as with Archer C7.
But SMB transfer speed is too slow again - about 220 mbps:

CPU load is below 40%. What is limiting factor now?
Can you show the output of: /system health print

SoluS
just joined

Wed May 11, 2016 11:25 am

[admin@MikroTik] /system health> print
      voltage: 23.8V
  temperature: 61C

nimbo78
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 11, 2016 9:36 pm

voltage: 23.8V
  temperature: 61C
Try to cool the router.

ka4opi4a

Thu May 12, 2016 9:11 am

Downclock the CPU to 600 MHZ and disable the chains in the wlan interfaces that you are not using (if there is).
Also try using 5180 Ceee.

SoluS
just joined

Thu May 12, 2016 5:35 pm

Today is a bit coolier... Do I need to wait winter to use my device normally? :D
      voltage: 23.9V
  temperature: 53C
I've disabled chain2 both for TX and RX (I belive if I use 2*2 wifi card, I need only chain0 and chain1?), downclocked to 600 Mhz and changed freq. to 20/40/80Mhz Ceee and I still have about 200 Mbps... :(

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 13, 2016 11:21 am

Today is a bit coolier...
Does it change the situation?

nimbo78
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 13, 2016 11:31 am

Today is a bit coolier...
for my installation with stability and perfomance issue - no...

SoluS
just joined

Sat May 14, 2016 4:44 pm

Unfortunately - no... Now it's about 47*C and speed ia about 200 Mbps
Meanwhile Archer C7 in same room shows 370 Mbps. You may see traffic change when I reconnect from Mikrotik to TPlink:

dikkiedirk

Mon May 16, 2016 2:12 pm

I screwed up setting. Can not connect to the unit. How can I reset the hAP AC? It is powered through POE.

psannz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 16, 2016 2:15 pm

I screwed up setting. Can not connect to the unit. How can I reset the hAP AC? It is powered through POE.
Connect via Winbox "Neighbours" to MAC Address of the device. Username and password remain the same.

dikkiedirk

Tue May 17, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi guys,

I somehow can't get my hAP AC setup as a simple AP.

It is connected from eth1 to an ASUS router and I have set a static IP on the hAP AC.

I then disabled DHCP and NAT under Local Network and instantly loose connection to internet and the hAP AC.
Must both DHCP servers on router and hAP AC stay enabled? I thought only DHCP server should be active.
Or should eth1 be changed from WAN to LAN?

What am I doing wrong? It is always me I guess :D .

I just want my wireless devices connected to the hAP AC be able to connect to internet and my NAS on on my home network.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2016 7:42 pm

Turn off all routing and firewalls.
Use the bridge and add Ether1 and the wireless interfaces too it.
Put a DHCP Client...
YOU HAVE A WAP.

Go into wireless and set up wireless.

At1ant
just joined

Fri May 20, 2016 10:03 pm

What the default installed version RouterOS on HAP AC ?
What packages installed by default ?

SoluS
just joined

Sat May 21, 2016 3:37 pm

I've replaced laptop wifi card to AW CB160H (3x3 MIMO AC). Now I have theoretical connection speed 1300 Mbps, but real speed with HAP AC is about 240 Mbps:

Meanwhile Archer C7 real speed is almost 400 Mbps:

HAP AC wireless speed completely disappointed me :(

SoluS
just joined

Sun May 22, 2016 3:53 pm

Hmm... Sorry for transform this tread to my personal blog :) But...
I've switched from "wireless-fp" packet (it was by default) to "wireless-cm2" packet and got about 300 Mbps speed with 2x2 MIMO wireless card...

gcraenen

Sun May 22, 2016 7:22 pm

Hello,

Just bought the hap ac and set it up as a router with wireless. I am measuring throughput speed on the internet connection and comparing it to a Sophos SG135 UTM with accesspoints (AP-55c) connected to it for wlan.

What should the throughput be on the HAP ac? I am measuring a maximum of 105-130 Mb/s outgoing, when my connection is a 500 Mb/s line. That is for wireless connections and also wired lan connections.

When I connect and run through the Sophos UTM I'm getting 400+ Mb/s wireless and around 480 Mb/s for the wired connection.

Network topology is exactly the same, except for the router/wlan devices obviously.

It seems that the HAP ac throughput is not up-to-par for this generation internet speeds.

Quindor

Mon May 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Hello,

Just bought the hap ac and set it up as a router with wireless. I am measuring throughput speed on the internet connection and comparing it to a Sophos SG135 UTM with accesspoints (AP-55c) connected to it for wlan.

What should the throughput be on the HAP ac? I am measuring a maximum of 105-130 Mb/s outgoing, when my connection is a 500 Mb/s line. That is for wireless connections and also wired lan connections.

When I connect and run through the Sophos UTM I'm getting 400+ Mb/s wireless and around 480 Mb/s for the wired connection.

Network topology is exactly the same, except for the router/wlan devices obviously.

It seems that the HAP ac throughput is not up-to-par for this generation internet speeds.
It should easily achieve much higher speeds. What kind of configuration did you put in? In my tests (you can find here) it could do 1Gbit of NAT using fastpath/fasttrack without a problem? For a real internet speedtest it did 200Mbit (Max of my internet connection) with about 16% CPU usage.

gcraenen

Tue May 24, 2016 8:16 am

it could do 1Gbit of NAT using fastpath/fasttrack without a problem? For a real internet speedtest it did 200Mbit (Max of my internet connection) with about 16% CPU usage.
I started with the standard AP config, then modified that with firewall rules, mangle rules, ques and addresslists that are used in the firewall rules. Didn't do much else.

Quindor

Tue May 24, 2016 11:29 am

it could do 1Gbit of NAT using fastpath/fasttrack without a problem? For a real internet speedtest it did 200Mbit (Max of my internet connection) with about 16% CPU usage.
I started with the standard AP config, then modified that with firewall rules, mangle rules, ques and addresslists that are used in the firewall rules. Didn't do much else.
Could you try with the queues and mangle rules disabled? Not saying you cannot use those, but depending on their configuration they can have a very big impact on performance. Try it with firewall and NAT only and see what speeds you get and then slowly re-enable to queues and mangle rules to see when it drops.

gcraenen

Wed May 25, 2016 2:56 pm

Could you try with the queues and mangle rules disabled? Not saying you cannot use those, but depending on their configuration they can have a very big impact on performance. Try it with firewall and NAT only and see what speeds you get and then slowly re-enable to queues and mangle rules to see when it drops.
Ok, I did a complete reset and setup the MT with quicksettings as a Dual Home AP. So almost no (only basic) firewall etc. rules. My WAN connection has a downloadspeed of 500 Mb/s.

After that connected my macbook and ran speedtest with LAN and WLAN. LAN-speed around 450 Mb/s and WLAN around 150Mb/s on the HAP. On my Sophos UTM,etc. with full webfiltering, IPS, all bells and whistles, etc. LAN-speed around 485 Mb/s and WLAN around 395 Mb/s.

When I entered more firewall rules in the MT (no mangle, queues, etc.) the LAN-speed dropped to around 320 Mb/s and the WLAN-speed to around 115 Mb/s. When adding mangle rules, layer-7 and queues the speeds drop even further to below 150 Mb/s on LAN.

So this HAP is nice for lower speed/spec environments, but not up to the task for a serious home or SOHO AP in the Netherlands, where most WAN speed connections are higher then in most other places. I wouldn't recommend it for most SOHO and private users that need high speed connections for NAS, small server environments, gaming and/or more than 5-8 wlan devices in their homes.

Quindor

Sun May 29, 2016 11:48 pm

Odd that you are seeing such bad results. I will admit I'm not using a hAP AC as my router currently, but when I tried it worked fine. In testing it also did a Gigabit NAT (Maxed out CPU) between two LAN ports.

The features you are describing maybe aren't that common in a normal house though, but still. Especially the firewall rules really should have no effect on it whatsoever. My RB2011 was able to do 400Mbit with fasttrack and some firewall rules, only using queues and such did it slow down and the hAP AC has a more powerful processor then it does.

Did you also try some LAN - LAN tests? So between two ports, both in routed and switched mode? That might still be interesting to try. There has been a topic about the hAP AC becoming slow when hot, while I don't experience this myself it might be an explanation for what is going on? Running some iperf's with multiple sessions should suffice to find out.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 30, 2016 8:16 am

When talking about Wireless testing, make sure you enable 20/40/80MHz Channel setting, I have seen some of you who only have 20 or 40MHz for some reason. This, of course, will cut your speed in half or to 25%.

nimbo78
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon May 30, 2016 9:57 am

When talking about Wireless testing, make sure you enable 20/40/80MHz Channel setting, I have seen some of you who only have 20 or 40MHz for some reason. This, of course, will cut your speed in half or to 25%.
Ok, can you provide some recommended settings for wireless? For ex. for Russia region.

666blade666
just joined

Mon May 30, 2016 10:19 pm

Ok, can you provide some recommended settings for wireless? For ex. for Russia region.
Can someone provide some recommended settings for wireless. HAP AC + iPad Pro 12.9, for maximum speed!
Wi-Fi Universal Scientific Industrial 339S00045 (in iPAD Pro 12.99) and MikroTik HAP AC

Quindor

Tue May 31, 2016 3:44 am

I'm not quite sure why you are asking these questions, wireless in a mikrotik device works the same as with other vendors? If you are unfamiliar with wireless in general, this is most often the best way setting up wireless.

There is no "Best" setting really. It depends on your environment, placement of the AP and your client, type of client, etc.

Do an airscan and a frequency usage scan to see which channel can best be used and how much of the spectrum is still free. Be sure to pay attention to 20Mhz, 40Mhz or 80Mhz width. You can find charts about this online.

When performance testing, select a free 80Mhz band and test with your devices. 80Mhz will give you the best throughput, but choosing 40Mhz or even 20Mhz is sometimes preferably when the spectrum is "dirty" or when range is more important then throughput.

And that should be it. With that said you should achieve the best wireless performance.

What I did notice is that trying to place the access-point most optimally can defintly help with the signal. Make sure there are no big objects blocking the line of sight to your device. Or, if there are walls and such in between the path to minimize that as much as possible. Things like reinforced concrete or an aquarium or even a big flat screen TV can really kill you signal. Also try mounting the access-point to the ceiling or high up on the wall so the signal can spread around and bounce freely. Lots of variables to consider!

666blade666
just joined

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:55 pm

I'm not quite sure why you are asking these questions, wireless in a mikrotik device works the same as with other vendors? If you are unfamiliar with wireless in general, this is most often the best way setting up wireless.

There is no "Best" setting really. It depends on your environment, placement of the AP and your client, type of client, etc.

Do an airscan and a frequency usage scan to see which channel can best be used and how much of the spectrum is still free. Be sure to pay attention to 20Mhz, 40Mhz or 80Mhz width. You can find charts about this online.

When performance testing, select a free 80Mhz band and test with your devices. 80Mhz will give you the best throughput, but choosing 40Mhz or even 20Mhz is sometimes preferably when the spectrum is "dirty" or when range is more important then throughput.

And that should be it. With that said you should achieve the best wireless performance.

What I did notice is that trying to place the access-point most optimally can defintly help with the signal. Make sure there are no big objects blocking the line of sight to your device. Or, if there are walls and such in between the path to minimize that as much as possible. Things like reinforced concrete or an aquarium or even a big flat screen TV can really kill you signal. Also try mounting the access-point to the ceiling or high up on the wall so the signal can spread around and bounce freely. Lots of variables to consider!
http://i.imgur.com/OXOZs7i.jpg - 100 mb ISP Speed. And HAP AC + iPad Pro 12.9. Simply amazing. Temperature of the device is 47 C. Big thanks to MikroTik professionals!!

gramels
just joined

Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:04 pm

same voltage sensor as problem as above

Voltage reading shows 16V PSU is at 24 V (measured)

Can this be fixed with software or do I need to RMA ?

Gennadiy51

Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:43 pm

same voltage sensor as problem as above

Voltage reading shows 16V PSU is at 24 V (measured)

Can this be fixed with software or do I need to RMA ?
What's new in 6.36rc13 (2016-May-17 12:20):

*) dude - (changes discussed here: forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=108083 );
*) dhcpv6 client - fixed ia lifetime validation when it is set by dhcpv6 client;
*) health - fixed incorrect voltage after reboot on RB2011UAS;
*) health - fixed broken factory voltage calibration data for some hAP ac boards;
*) log - added whole scep certificate chain print;
*) lte - fix crash on SXT LTE while resetting card while at high traffic;
*) lte - added allow-roaming option for Huawei MU709, ME909s, ME909u devices;
*) lte - changed driver loading for class 2 usb rndis devices;
*) userman - use ipnpb.paypal.com for payment verification;

gramels
just joined

Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:50 pm

ok, the update fixed it

I also see huge variations in temperature between two similar HAP ac based CAPs

one reads 58C the other 47C with same (21C) ambient temp, while the cooler one is a area with less air circulation. The 47C one is the one with the mis calibrated voltage sensor. I did not yet measure the real temperature.

What is the expected temperature?

Atlantis
just joined

Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:59 am

Hello, today i disccovered strange fault with both my hAP ac units:
2.4 GHz radio doesn't work on higher channels and both units show different "stage" of this behaviour.

The first unit works fine only if I select 20Mhz and channel 1. If I select for example channel 6 or even 11 I am not able to connect to it (or it connect very unstable) with my laptop and phone. If I set 40Mhz it works badly (because it uses higher extension channel)

Second unit works fine on channels 1 and also 6 but doesn't work on higher (11).
40Mhz works fine if set to channel 1.

I am not 100% sure but I think both units worked fine the day I bought them - but lately I had issues with wifi so I investigated this issue.

What is wrong with this? It is not interference- i checked with spectral scan and even took it to different location and it behaves identically. Also I don't think it is problem with other devices - I replaced it with 951G and it works fine over whole frequency range with both devices.

dkalam
just joined

Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:28 pm

Same behaviour as mine... Only works in channel 1 with 20 Mhz. ROS 6.35.4 with cm2 although i still get strange lock ups in random times.

5ghz works perfectly..

Atlantis
just joined

Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:21 pm

Are you going to RMA? I will at least one unit - it is not cheap device to be this shitty!
I did some modifications to second unit because of low tolerance to USB capacitive load (http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106174 ). But fortunatelly the second one works at 40Mhz (but only on 1st channel)
Mikrotik really disappointed me - this fault, USB problem, LAN switch problem (as I read here in topic...)

gramels
just joined

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:09 am

did you try channel 12 and 13?
may be change country settings to test?
I sit the channel restrictes US version or the international one?

Atlantis
just joined

Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:16 pm

I have international unit. I did change country but with no effect - it looks like HW problem.
I have connected the less affected unit and  tried this again with all channels. It works on 1 - 6 but on 7-13 I am not able to connect. Sometimes it shows "connected" in mikrotik log but few seconds later it disconnects. It acts like you have very poor signal or extreme interference.

I even tried different chains setup at problematic channels:
with chains 0+1+2 I am not able to connect
with only chain 0 it works but only few Mb/s
with only chain 1 it works but only few Mb/s
with only chain 2 I am able to connect but works as badly, I am not able to complete speedtest.

with chain 0+1 or 0+2 I am not able to connect.
And with configuration 1+2 I don't even see the network in other devices!

And yes, both chains are Tx+Rx and Yes, with single chain I saw the network on all chains and yes, I check on both devices and even after 1minute I don't see the network! Quite mystery...

nimbo78
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:49 pm

I have international unit. I did change country but with no effect - it looks like HW problem.
I have connected the less affected unit and  tried this again with all channels. It works on 1 - 6 but on 7-13 I am not able to connect. Sometimes it shows "connected" in mikrotik log but few seconds later it disconnects. It acts like you have very poor signal or extreme interference.

I even tried different chains setup at problematic channels:
with chains 0+1+2 I am not able to connect
with only chain 0 it works but only few Mb/s
with only chain 1 it works but only few Mb/s
with only chain 2 I am able to connect but works as badly, I am not able to complete speedtest.

with chain 0+1 or 0+2 I am not able to connect.
And with configuration 1+2 I don't even see the network in other devices!

And yes, both chains are Tx+Rx and Yes, with single chain I saw the network on all chains and yes, I check on both devices and even after 1minute I don't see the network! Quite mystery...
same problem with my hAP ac. And I think this is HW problem too, because my friend bought hAP ac and expirience same problems.....
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode antenna-gain=2 band=2ghz-onlyn \
    channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce country=russia2 disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto frequency-mode=\
    regulatory-domain hw-protection-mode=rts-cts mode=ap-bridge name=wlan-2.4GHz ssid=78 tx-power=17 tx-power-mode=\
    all-rates-fixed wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode antenna-gain=1 band=5ghz-a/n/ac \
    channel-width=20/40/80mhz-Ceee country="united states" disabled=no distance=indoors frequency-mode=\
    regulatory-domain guard-interval=long hw-protection-mode=rts-cts max-station-count=20 mode=ap-bridge name=wlan-5GHz \
    ssid=78 wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled wps-mode=disabled
and with this settings in 5 GHz band devices connect in only 802.11n mode.

kenyloveg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:08 pm

Hi, guys
 I received my 2 HAP AC few days ago, did some test. I have 200Mbps/20Mbps at home, which was supported by netgear R7000(uTorrent download get around 25MB) But after everything i tried, my new HAP AC still can't exceed 125 Mbps, which is not acceptable for me. Everytime I test on speedtest, CPU always reachs 100%.Someone in this thread mentioned it can handle 300Mbps NAT. I'm starting to think it should be hardware issue, health indicates 23.8V voltage and 58 C. Here is my configurations.
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether1 ] name=ether1-wan
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] name=ether2-lan
/interface pppoe-client
add add-default-route=yes disabled=no interface=ether1-wan keepalive-timeout=disabled name=pppoe-out1 password=******** use-peer-dns=yes user=********
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce disabled=no frequency=2422 mode=ap-bridge ssid=RB962UiGS-2HnT wireless-protocol=802.11 wps-mode=disabled
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-onlyac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-Ceee disabled=no mode=ap-bridge ssid=RB962UiGS-5HacT wireless-protocol=802.11 wps-mode=disabled
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" mode=dynamic-keys wpa2-pre-shared-key=********
/ip pool
add name=dhcp_pool1 ranges=192.168.100.2-192.168.100.254
/ip dhcp-server
add add-arp=yes address-pool=dhcp_pool1 disabled=no interface=bridge1 lease-time=1d name=dhcp1
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether2-lan
add bridge=bridge1 interface=wlan1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=wlan2
/ip address
add address=192.168.100.1/24 interface=bridge1 network=192.168.100.0
/ip dhcp-server config
set store-leases-disk=never
/ip dhcp-server lease
add address=192.168.100.99 client-id=1:64:51:6:d8:60:ee mac-address=64:51:06:D8:60:EE server=dhcp1
add address=192.168.100.100 client-id=1:64:51:6:d8:60:ec mac-address=64:51:06:D8:60:EC server=dhcp1
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.100.0/24 gateway=192.168.100.1
/ip firewall nat
add action=src-nat chain=srcnat comment=NAT to-addresses=mywanipaddress
/ip firewall service-port
set ftp disabled=yes
set tftp disabled=yes
set irc disabled=yes
set h323 disabled=yes
set sip disabled=yes
set pptp disabled=yes
/ip service
set telnet disabled=yes
set ftp disabled=yes
set www disabled=yes
set ssh disabled=yes
set api disabled=yes
set api-ssl disabled=yes
/ip upnp
set enabled=yes
/ip upnp interfaces
add interface=pppoe-out1 type=external
add interface=bridge1 type=internal
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Asia/Shanghai
Anybody prove me he can exceed 250Mbps NAT should also prove that I need RMA this HAP AC
Thank you very much, excuse me for my poor English.

kenyloveg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:53 pm

Well, i did some verifying and report back here.
1. Replaced another HAP AC(when temp indicates 36C) with same configuration, still the same results
2. Replaced HAP AC with RB951G, NAT speed down to 106Mbps, but after manually enable fast track, it goes up to 130Mbps
/ip firewall filter
add chain=forward action=fasttrack-connection connection-state=established,related
add chain=forward action=accept connection-state=established,related
add chain=forward action=drop connection-state=invalid
3. Fast track does not work on HAP AC(whatever fast track checked or not in /ip firewall connections), speedtest still keeps up to 126Mbps
4. Changed WAN port from ether1 to ether2, still the same
5. Changed packages from 6.35.4 to 6.36rc37, do reset and no default config, import same configuration, still the same poor 126Mbps results.

Most likely, the root cause should be fast track/path was broken on HAP AC.
Any comment?
Thanks

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:22 pm

Any comment?
Thanks
Mine is working just fine.

1) what interfaces are involved in testing? Ip pppoe make sure that you have version that have pppoe fastpath support added, if wireless make sure that you are running proper wireless package.

2) do you see fastpath counters counting?

kenyloveg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:02 pm

Any comment?
Thanks
Mine is working just fine.

1) what interfaces are involved in testing? Ip pppoe make sure that you have version that have pppoe fastpath support added, if wireless make sure that you are running proper wireless package.

2) do you see fastpath counters counting?
1. pppoe client use ether2 to dial out, Bridged ether3, wlan1,wlan2, fast track is checked, test was always through ether3 (even i directly plug ether2 to desktop pc still the same)
2. yes
Even fast track is chekced, the NAT speed are exactly the same when it is not enabled. If a performance feature has no improve on performance, what's the meaning of enabled or not? 
Did your HAP AC can exceed 200Mbps NAT?
Thanks.

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Even fast track is chekced, the NAT speed are exactly the same when it is not enabled. If a performance feature has no improve on performance, what's the meaning of enabled or not? 
Thanks.
1) with pppoe you need RouterOS version at least 6.35, and make sure that there are no encryption.

2) in /ip settings and /bridge settings, and in /ip firewall connection there are fastpath and fasttrack counters.

I can run all 500Mbps that i have at home getting only ~60% load, but i can reach those speeds only while torrenting. and i chronically dislike speedtest .

kenyloveg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks.
1) with pppoe you need RouterOS version at least 6.35, and make sure that there are no encryption.

2) in /ip settings and /bridge settings, and in /ip firewall connection there are fastpath and fasttrack counters.

I can run all 500Mbps that i have at home getting only ~60% load, but i can reach those speeds only while torrenting.  and i chronically dislike speedtest .
Hi, macgaiver
 What encryption you mean? Those mschap/pap/... under pppoe client settings?

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi, macgaiver
Security profile need to be without encryption.

kenyloveg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:52 pm

Hi, macgaiver
Security profile need to be without encryption.
Would you post your exported configuration? I go check these settings soon.
Thanks

kenyloveg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:29 pm

Hi, guys
 The NAT performance reaches 220Mbps (which is my FTTH) finally, after i attached HAP AC to my old netgear R7000's lan port, use quickset to automatic get DHCP IP address from R7000.
That proves the NAT performance isn't limited to 120Mbps. CPU hit around 75% when fast track disabled, and around 35% when fast track enabled, this is really good form me.
Then question comes to my pppoe client configurations, i've no idea where is wrong. Would anyone post your pppoe client configuration?
Thanks. 

risk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:36 pm

I'm having trouble getting anything above 320/330 Mbps over WiFi from hAP ac , this is with a 80MHz 2x2 client. 

Has anyone had better luck?

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:38 pm

I'm having trouble getting anything above 320/330 Mbps over WiFi from hAP ac , this is with a 80MHz 2x2 client.
How do you test? Have you tested what speed can be achieved over cable?

risk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:35 am

How do you test? Have you tested what speed can be achieved over cable?
Serving data over a single http/tcp connection from a really simple http server I wrote in go, that's running on my tiny old hp n40l and serving a random block of bytes in a loop to my 2015 chromebook pixel ls.
hAP ac has a bridge between ether1 and wlan2 and as of a few seconds ago gets me 345 Mbps over WiFi (lucky I guess).
When I take the cable out of ether1 and connect the that chromebook using usb-c <-> ethernet and repeat the test I get 111MB/s / 935Mbps.

Edit: despite my DIY testing setup (I have to test in a browser), my question still stands, ie. Did anyone ever get more than 320/350 mbps tcp over 2x2 802.11ac WiFi on a hAP ac in any conditions. The reason I'm asking is that apparently in tp-link devices and in dd-wrt firmware the QCA9880 is somehow capable of it (and I've seen 700/800 mbps wifi with 3x3 with other chips), which leads me to believe something must be wrong with my hAP ac units or maybe I just can't find a good ros version to run on a hAP ac.
Also, when I configure the wlan2 for 40MHz 802.11n I get a bit more than 200mbps in with my testing setup. 802.11ac has 33% more efficient encoding, and the channel width is 80MHz and so I'd expect to get ~500 mbps instead of ~320 - ~350 mbps

sstyle
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:51 am

Performance with my Macbook pro 2015 = 1300 Mbit/sec:
But I hope it can be better, because I get this connection speed with stock settings (Changed channel width only, and country set to Taiwan)
Last edited by sstyle on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

sstyle
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:52 am

Little differences between 2.4 and 5 are normal since according to the documentation, but in your case probably difference comes from country regulations.
Remember that 802.11ac is way more complicated (with BF, DFS) than 802.11n, so simple software analyzer may not be accurate.
What is it BF? Which country settings is better? I need maximum perfomance and signal strength

2. You are using latest Firmware version;

3. You have enabled wireless-cm2/wireless-rep package;
How to check current Firmware? I see 6.35.4 but is not fw ver as I understand, it is RouterOS
What is better cm2 or fp for apple devices? What is it wireless-rep?

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:52 am

What is better cm2 or fp for apple devices? What is it wireless-rep?
FP package was deprecated and not supported anymore.
in theory "Ultimate" was rep, especially if you need its major new features, otherwise you can save bits of resources(some speculated that it somewhat more loading RAM and CPU, but difference is quite marginal/tiny to bother about).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:13 am

wireless -> FP -> cm2 -> rep -> wireless

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:15 pm

After "rep" package wireless comes again?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:20 pm

After "rep" package wireless comes again?
6.37 already has it 

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:26 pm

Great. 6.36 was not released yet but 6.37 already has something... Do we have a time machine?

sstyle
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:29 pm

Hm, tried to test network performance between windows PC connected by gigabit cable (cat.5e) to hAP AC and MacBook Pro connected by wifi 5ghz (1000-1300Mbit connection). Why transfer speed is so low?
iperf -c 192.168.1.253 -t 30 -i 5
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 192.168.1.253, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 22.5 KByte (default)
[  4] local 192.168.1.10 port 57665 connected with 192.168.1.253 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]  0.0- 5.0 sec   194 MBytes   325 Mbits/sec
[  4]  5.0-10.0 sec   216 MBytes   363 Mbits/sec
[  4] 10.0-15.0 sec   186 MBytes   313 Mbits/sec
[  4] 15.0-20.0 sec   219 MBytes   367 Mbits/sec
[  4] 20.0-25.0 sec   230 MBytes   387 Mbits/sec
[  4] 25.0-30.0 sec   218 MBytes   366 Mbits/sec
[  4]  0.0-30.0 sec  1.23 GBytes   354 Mbits/sec

feel2006
just joined

Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Hello, 

Please help me. 
I have rb952ui-5ac2nD.
A would like test routeros downgrade. But router is brick.
Download mipsbe5.26, and click downgrade.
Router reboot, and not respond. 
Situation: 
When not responded 30 minutes I reboot. Until reboot power and usr blink no other (1-2-3-4-5 if lan cable pluged, not blink).
I try netinstall 6.35.4, but not work.
I disable Windows7 firewall and setting notebook IP 10.1.1.10 Nm:255.255.255.0. 
Netinstall setting: boot server enabled, client ip 10.1.1.5.
And press the router reset button 30second, but not work, netinstall is can not see the router. 

Winbox can not see a router. 

What is wrong? 
Help me!
Thanks

sasbibic
just joined

Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:19 pm

Try to disable all but ethernet network interface,before using netinstall.

/Saš

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

sstyle
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:19 am

Very strange issue. I have a iPhone SE, Macbook Pro 2015 and iPad mini 2. Macbook and iPhone initiate connection to WIFI very fast. But when I turn on iPad it does not connect to wifi first 30 seconds and then connect to wifi (2.4kHz). How to fix that? WMM enabled, channel set to 20Hz, preamble set to long.

sstyle
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:13 pm

You can prvovide iperf command with intresting for you params, I will do these tests
@alber you are awesome! Thank you very much for all your answers!  :D

I always use iperf2 from https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php, if you want you can use iperf3 too but the command line switches are a bit different.

If you are using iperf (2) then use the following settings please:
server: "iperf -s -w 1MB"

1 Channel
client: "iperf -c xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -w 1MB -R -P 1 -t 30"

4 Channels
client: "iperf -c xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -w 1MB -R -P 4 -t 30"

16 Channels
client: "iperf -c xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -w 1MB -R -P 16 -t 30"

A second set (if you are willing):
server: "iperf -s -w 64KB"

1 Channel
client: "iperf -c xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -w 64KB -R -P 1 -t 30"

4 Channels
client: "iperf -c xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -w 64KB -R -P 4 -t 30"

16 Channels
client: "iperf -c xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -w 64KB -R -P 16 -t 30"

That should give us a good overview of total bandwidth attainable using one stream and multiple streams both using large block sizes and small.
My results:
iperf -c 192.168.1.9 -w 1MB -R -P 1 -t 30
Client connecting to 192.168.1.9, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 1.00 MByte (WARNING: requested 1.00 MByte)
[  4]  0.0-30.0 sec  1.96 GBytes   562 Mbits/sec
iperf -c 192.168.1.9 -w 1MB -R -P 4 -t 30
[  7]  0.0-30.0 sec   547 MBytes   153 Mbits/sec
[  5]  0.0-30.0 sec   568 MBytes   159 Mbits/sec
[  4]  0.0-30.0 sec   415 MBytes   116 Mbits/sec
[  6]  0.0-30.0 sec   444 MBytes   124 Mbits/sec
[SUM]  0.0-30.0 sec  1.93 GBytes   552 Mbits/sec
iperf -c 192.168.1.9 -w 1MB -R -P 16 -t 30
[  4]  0.0-30.0 sec   110 MBytes  30.9 Mbits/sec
[  6]  0.0-30.0 sec   102 MBytes  28.6 Mbits/sec
[  5]  0.0-30.0 sec   133 MBytes  37.2 Mbits/sec
[  8]  0.0-30.0 sec   145 MBytes  40.6 Mbits/sec
[  9]  0.0-30.0 sec   107 MBytes  29.8 Mbits/sec
[ 10]  0.0-30.0 sec   120 MBytes  33.5 Mbits/sec
[  7]  0.0-30.0 sec   127 MBytes  35.4 Mbits/sec
[ 13]  0.0-30.0 sec  89.5 MBytes  25.0 Mbits/sec
[ 11]  0.0-30.0 sec   108 MBytes  30.0 Mbits/sec
[ 14]  0.0-30.0 sec   120 MBytes  33.6 Mbits/sec
[ 16]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.8 Mbits/sec
[ 15]  0.0-30.0 sec   106 MBytes  29.6 Mbits/sec
[ 12]  0.0-30.1 sec   112 MBytes  31.2 Mbits/sec
[ 19]  0.0-30.1 sec  99.8 MBytes  27.8 Mbits/sec
[ 18]  0.0-30.1 sec   146 MBytes  40.7 Mbits/sec
[ 17]  0.0-30.1 sec   130 MBytes  36.1 Mbits/sec
[SUM]  0.0-30.1 sec  1.83 GBytes   524 Mbits/sec
And
iperf -c 192.168.1.9 -w 64KB -R -P 1 -t 30
TCP window size: 65.0 KByte (WARNING: requested 64.0 KByte)
[  4]  0.0-30.0 sec   580 MBytes   162 Mbits/sec
iperf -c 192.168.1.9 -w 64KB -R -P 4 -t 30
[  4]  0.0-30.0 sec   250 MBytes  69.9 Mbits/sec
[  6]  0.0-30.0 sec   231 MBytes  64.5 Mbits/sec
[  7]  0.0-30.0 sec   251 MBytes  70.1 Mbits/sec
[  5]  0.0-30.0 sec   250 MBytes  69.7 Mbits/sec
[SUM]  0.0-30.0 sec   981 MBytes   274 Mbits/sec
iperf -c 192.168.1.9 -w 64KB -R -P 16 -t 30
[  4]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.7 Mbits/sec
[  6]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.6 Mbits/sec
[  5]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.6 Mbits/sec
[  9]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.6 Mbits/sec
[  8]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.6 Mbits/sec
[ 10]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.6 Mbits/sec
[ 11]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.6 Mbits/sec
[ 12]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.6 Mbits/sec
[ 14]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.6 Mbits/sec
[ 18]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.6 Mbits/sec
[ 17]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.7 Mbits/sec
[ 16]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.7 Mbits/sec
[ 19]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.7 Mbits/sec
[  7]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.7 Mbits/sec
[ 13]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.6 Mbits/sec
[ 15]  0.0-30.0 sec   124 MBytes  34.6 Mbits/sec
[SUM]  0.0-30.0 sec  1.94 GBytes   554 Mbits/sec

ka4opi4a

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:11 am

Hello, 

Please help me. 
I have rb952ui-5ac2nD.
A would like test routeros downgrade. But router is brick.
Download mipsbe5.26, and click downgrade.
Router reboot, and not respond. 
Situation: 
When not responded 30 minutes I reboot. Until reboot power and usr blink no other (1-2-3-4-5 if lan cable pluged, not blink).
I try netinstall 6.35.4, but not work.
I disable Windows7 firewall and setting notebook IP 10.1.1.10 Nm:255.255.255.0. 
Netinstall setting: boot server enabled, client ip 10.1.1.5.
And press the router reset button 30second, but not work, netinstall is can not see the router. 

Winbox can not see a router. 

What is wrong? 
Help me!
Thanks
Did you try to netinstall on eth1 ?
Also, are you sure you are doin it right ?

sstyle
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:44 am

Is it possible to disable all leds? I see a disko-light on the wall (

ka4opi4a

Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:18 pm

I think you can disable all but power led.
Go to: System/LEDs

sstyle
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:30 pm

I think you can disable all but power led.
Go to: System/LEDs
There is no settings for LAN ports

ka4opi4a

Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:51 pm

Try to add interface and then disable it.

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:31 pm

i have also one only working on channel 1 with 20 mhz ...

PeterP
just joined

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:31 am

Same problem here.
Connection on 2,4Ghz radio only possible on channel 1, 20Mhz.

vspider
just joined

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:02 pm

Is problem with wifi solved or at least added to bug tracker? Going to buy hAP AC, now have 2 RB951, RB912UAG, hAP lite.
Wifi is very important in both ranges because of of many legacy devices.

ylere
just joined

Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:15 pm

We bought 5 new HAP ACs for testing last week and are having huge wifi issues with them.
LAN/Ethernet performance is flawless but WiFi speeds are incredibly bad in for 11n and 11ac.
Even with a 1m distance to the routers, we get 2/10mbits (down/up) on 11n and 8/30mbits on 11ac.
We are using the same CAPsMAN setup we have been using with a lot of other mikrotik devices, including wap ac and hap ac lite. CAPsMAN shows negotiated speeds of 800Mps+ (3 chains) in the registration table for some devices. All 3 we have tested so far are showing the same behaviour. All are upgraded to the newest RouterOS 3.36 and have wireless-rep installed.
Any idea what the issue could be?
This is the (very simple) configuration:
# aug/15/2016 17:09:46 by RouterOS 6.36
# software id = QRKI-8CAS
#
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX auto-mac=no name=bridgeLocal
/interface wireless
# managed by CAPsMAN
# channel: 2417/20-Ce/gn(20dBm), SSID: XXXXXX, CAPsMAN forwarding
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] ssid=MikroTik
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" management-protection=allowed mode=dynamic-keys name=XXX supplicant-identity="" \
    wpa2-pre-shared-key=retrofit
/interface wireless
# managed by CAPsMAN
# channel: 5500/20-Ceee/ac(27dBm), SSID: XXX-5Ghz, CAPsMAN forwarding
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] adaptive-noise-immunity=ap-and-client-mode band=5ghz-onlyac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-Ceee country=\
    germany distance=indoors frequency=auto hw-protection-mode=rts-cts hw-retries=15 mode=ap-bridge multicast-helper=full \
    security-profile=default ssid=MikroTik wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled wps-mode=disabled
/interface bridge filter
add action=drop chain=input dst-port=68 in-interface=wlan2 ip-protocol=udp mac-protocol=ip
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridgeLocal interface=ether2
add bridge=bridgeLocal interface=ether3
add bridge=bridgeLocal interface=ether4
add bridge=bridgeLocal interface=ether5
add bridge=bridgeLocal interface=sfp1
add bridge=bridgeLocal interface=wlan2
add bridge=bridgeLocal interface=ether1
add bridge=bridgeLocal interface=wlan1
/interface wireless cap
# 
set certificate=request discovery-interfaces=ether1 enabled=yes interfaces=wlan1,wlan2 lock-to-caps-man=yes
/ip dhcp-client
add dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=ether1
add dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=bridgeLocal
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Berlin
/system identity
set name=XXXXXXXXX
/system routerboard settings
set cpu-frequency=720MHz protected-routerboot=disabled
/tool romon
set enabled=yes secrets=XXXXXXXXX
Last edited by ylere on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:00 pm

ylere
just joined

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:13 pm

Not sure if I'm reading this right, your solution was to replace all HAP ACs with old RB951 and not use the HAP ACs at all?

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:39 pm

Yes...but It is not final situation... however the point are problems not the soloution

ylere
just joined

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:44 am

We bought 5 new HAP ACs for testing last week and are having huge wifi issues with them.
LAN/Ethernet performance is flawless but WiFi speeds are incredibly bad in for 11n and 11ac.
Even with a 1m distance to the routers, we get 2/10mbits (down/up) on 11n and 8/30mbits on 11ac.
We are using the same CAPsMAN setup we have been using with a lot of other mikrotik devices, including wap ac and hap ac lite. CAPsMAN shows negotiated speeds of 800Mps+ (3 chains) in the registration table for some devices. All 3 we have tested so far are showing the same behaviour. All are upgraded to the newest RouterOS 3.36 and have wireless-rep installed.
Any idea what the issue could be?
Update: Without CAPsMAN, wifi speeds are much, much better! I configured the wireless Interfaces on one of the HAP ACs directly without using CAPsMAN and now wifi speeds are up to 70/70Mbps+ for 11n and 280/280Mbps+ for 11ac.
It seems that CAPsMAN with local forwarding is causing a lot of issues. Maybe CAPsMAN is not configuring HAP ACs correctly?

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:53 pm

I have 19 HAP AC's and on none of them it is possible to get the 2.4 ghz working correctly ...

- i did also lower the tx power, still not working

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:46 am

I have 19 HAP AC's and on none of them it is possible to get the 2.4 ghz working correctly ...

- i did also lower the tx power, still not working
Works fine on mine..

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:44 pm

Update: Without CAPsMAN, wifi speeds are much, much better! I configured the wireless Interfaces on one of the HAP ACs directly without using CAPsMAN and now wifi speeds are up to 70/70Mbps+ for 11n and 280/280Mbps+ for 11ac.
It seems that CAPsMAN with local forwarding is causing a lot of issues. Maybe CAPsMAN is not configuring HAP ACs correctly?
if you use central forwarding with capsman, the router must re-encapsulate all data to be able to send to the controller.
now the thing is, that it hurts 2-3x more as it should:

say you have a pretty normal 1500 byte IP packet.
depending on how capwap is implemented the packet will have a 802.11 or 802.3 frame around it. i suspect the latter one, which then with all the ethernet headers will be 1514 or 1518 (depending whether you use VLANs or stuff like that).

then all those headers add together as capwap data is being encapsulated into udp and then ip:

- IP Header (assuming 20 bytes) - in case of ipv6 it's 40 bytes.
- UDP Header (8 Bytes)
- CAPWAP Header (8 - 16 Bytes)

The CAPWAP payload contains the original wireless frame / or 1 ethernet frame
- 802.11 Header (24 Bytes) / 802.3 header (14-18 bytes)
- Original IP packet (1500 Bytes)

so after the math have been done, you'll end up somewhere at 1550-1588 bytes, which definitely will not fit into the regular 1500byte IP MTU.
that is, after encapsulation you have to fragment the packet and of course reassemble on the other end [pain on the controller side]. fragmentation itself is a cpu intensive stuff,
and as the packet will be cut in 2 halves, your PPS will be also halved, which will cause a notable degradation in forwarding speed.

there are things to work this around, but not everything is under your control:
- use jumbo/baby giant frames on the uplink [you may not have support for it in your backbone]
- lower the MTU on the wireless side and use tcp mss adjustment to make tcp payload smaller so the whole encapsulated traffic including capwap magic
fits into 1500 bytes. udp will still suffer and may be dropped if MTUs does not match on client & ap.

life's hard.

OlofL
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:14 pm

Hm, tried to test network performance between windows PC connected by gigabit cable (cat.5e) to hAP AC and MacBook Pro connected by wifi 5ghz (1000-1300Mbit connection). Why transfer speed is so low?
iperf -c 192.168.1.253 -t 30 -i 5
Client connecting to 192.168.1.253, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 22.5 KByte (default)
[  4] local 192.168.1.10 port 57665 connected with 192.168.1.253 port 5001
[  4]  0.0- 5.0 sec   194 MBytes   325 Mbits/sec
[  4]  5.0-10.0 sec   216 MBytes   363 Mbits/sec
[  4] 10.0-15.0 sec   186 MBytes   313 Mbits/sec
[  4] 15.0-20.0 sec   219 MBytes   367 Mbits/sec
[  4] 20.0-25.0 sec   230 MBytes   387 Mbits/sec
[  4] 25.0-30.0 sec   218 MBytes   366 Mbits/sec
[  4]  0.0-30.0 sec  1.23 GBytes   354 Mbits/sec
Are you passing by any firewall filters? Try enabling fasttrack for that connection.

sstyle
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:47 pm

Are you passing by any firewall filters? Try enabling fasttrack for that connection.
Looks like it enabled.
/ip firewall filter
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" \
    connection-state=established,related
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept established,related" \
    connection-state=established,related
add action=accept chain=input connection-state=related
add action=drop chain=input disabled=yes in-interface=Smile
add action=accept chain=input protocol=icmp
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop invalid" \
    connection-state=invalid
add action=drop chain=forward comment=\
    "defconf:  drop all from WAN not DSTNATed" connection-nat-state=!dstnat \
    connection-state=new in-interface=wan
add action=drop chain=input connection-state=new dst-port=123 in-interface=\
    Smile log-prefix=" " protocol=udp
add action=drop chain=input connection-state=new dst-port=123 in-interface=\
    Smile log-prefix=" " protocol=tcp
add action=drop chain=input connection-state=new dst-port=53 in-interface=\
    Smile log-prefix=" " protocol=udp
add action=drop chain=input connection-state=new dst-port=53 in-interface=\
    Smile log-prefix=" " protocol=tcp

rheo
just joined

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:54 am

I noticed a new firmware upgrade is out now for the hap ac, 3.34. I've just upgraded, anyone see the changelog?

MartijnVdS
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:35 pm

I noticed a new firmware upgrade is out now for the hap ac, 3.34. I've just upgraded, anyone see the changelog?
Usually those RouterBOOT updates are just "additional device support" (to make it work on new hardware revisions etc.).

Once Mikrotik updates it, the change log should be available here: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/RouterBOOT_changelog

sstyle
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:47 pm

Guys, please add a new feature - completely disable all leds (power led can be enabled). It is very difficult to sleep with disco-light on the roof.

Miracle
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:59 pm

Guys, please add a new feature - completely disable all leds (power led can be enabled). It is very difficult to sleep with disco-light on the roof.
Just apply black tape on them.

sstyle
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:22 pm

Did it, but what should I do with ventilation holes?

Siona
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:29 pm

Black pvc tape works as a charm! [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

sstyle
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:35 pm

And get overheating as result?!

benoga
just joined

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:13 pm

+1

mleonidov
just joined

Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:37 am

benoga
just joined

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:18 am

@mleonidov
the Power LED can't be disabled on the HAP AC. We want to disable all LED, incl. Power.

mjbop1
just joined

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:57 am

Why can't the hAP AC Lite be AF/AT POE instead of passive? Is that a big change? It would make a great dorm room switch for us if it was POE. A in-wall form factor would be the next ask..:)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:43 am

Why can't the hAP AC Lite be AF/AT POE instead of passive? Is that a big change? It would make a great dorm room switch for us if it was POE. A in-wall form factor would be the next ask..:)
Yes, the power parts that are required are more in number and higher in price and complexity.

paulct

Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:02 am

Will the ubiquiti instant 802.3af to passive poe adapter work in powering the HAP AC? i.e one side into a netgar GS110tp - the other side into ether1 of the HAP.

Quindor

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:45 pm

Will the ubiquiti instant 802.3af to passive poe adapter work in powering the HAP AC? i.e one side into a netgar GS110tp - the other side into ether1 of the HAP.
Yes, that part should work fine. I'm currently powering my hAP AC and wAP AC using a Ubiquiti 24v passive injector, no issues.

Hammer

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:42 am

I had problems with the channel configuration (best performance 5GHz AC) and found this CAPsMAN Channels list.

Very helpful for the configuration

2.4 GHz Channels
/caps-man channel
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=disabled frequency=2412 name="channel-2.4-1" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=disabled frequency=2417 name="channel-2.4-2" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=disabled frequency=2422 name="channel-2.4-3" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=disabled frequency=2427 name="channel-2.4-4" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=disabled frequency=2432 name="channel-2.4-5" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=disabled frequency=2437 name="channel-2.4-6" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=disabled frequency=2442 name="channel-2.4-7" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=disabled frequency=2447 name="channel-2.4-8" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=disabled frequency=2452 name="channel-2.4-9" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=disabled frequency=2457 name="channel-2.4-10" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=disabled frequency=2462 name="channel-2.4-11" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=disabled frequency=2467 name="channel-2.4-12" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=disabled frequency=2472 name="channel-2.4-13" width=20

add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=eC frequency=2412 name="channel-2.4-1-eC" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=eC frequency=2417 name="channel-2.4-2-eC" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=eC frequency=2422 name="channel-2.4-3-eC" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=eC frequency=2427 name="channel-2.4-4-eC" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=eC frequency=2432 name="channel-2.4-5-eC" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=eC frequency=2437 name="channel-2.4-6-eC" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=eC frequency=2442 name="channel-2.4-7-eC" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=eC frequency=2447 name="channel-2.4-8-eC" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=eC frequency=2452 name="channel-2.4-9-eC" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=eC frequency=2457 name="channel-2.4-10-eC" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=eC frequency=2462 name="channel-2.4-11-eC" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=eC frequency=2467 name="channel-2.4-12-eC" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=eC frequency=2472 name="channel-2.4-13-eC" width=20

add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=Ce frequency=2412 name="channel-2.4-1-Ce" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=Ce frequency=2417 name="channel-2.4-2-Ce" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=Ce frequency=2422 name="channel-2.4-3-Ce" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=Ce frequency=2427 name="channel-2.4-4-Ce" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=Ce frequency=2432 name="channel-2.4-5-Ce" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=Ce frequency=2437 name="channel-2.4-6-Ce" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=Ce frequency=2442 name="channel-2.4-7-Ce" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=Ce frequency=2447 name="channel-2.4-8-Ce" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=Ce frequency=2452 name="channel-2.4-9-Ce" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=Ce frequency=2457 name="channel-2.4-10-Ce" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=Ce frequency=2462 name="channel-2.4-11-Ce" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=Ce frequency=2467 name="channel-2.4-12-Ce" width=20
add band=2ghz-b/g/n extension-channel=Ce frequency=2472 name="channel-2.4-13-Ce" width=20
5 GHz Channels
/caps-man channel
add name="channel-5-36" frequency=5180 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=disabled
add name="channel-5-40" frequency=5200 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=disabled
add name="channel-5-44" frequency=5220 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=disabled
add name="channel-5-48" frequency=5240 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=disabled
add name="channel-5-52" frequency=5260 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=disabled
add name="channel-5-56" frequency=5270 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=disabled
add name="channel-5-60" frequency=5300 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=disabled
add name="channel-5-64" frequency=5320 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=disabled

add name="channel-5-36-Ce" frequency=5180 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ce
add name="channel-5-40-Ce" frequency=5200 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ce
add name="channel-5-44-Ce" frequency=5220 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ce
add name="channel-5-48-Ce" frequency=5240 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ce
add name="channel-5-52-Ce" frequency=5260 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ce
add name="channel-5-56-Ce" frequency=5270 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ce
add name="channel-5-60-Ce" frequency=5300 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ce
add name="channel-5-64-Ce" frequency=5320 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ce

add name="channel-5-36-eC" frequency=5180 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eC
add name="channel-5-40-eC" frequency=5200 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eC
add name="channel-5-44-eC" frequency=5220 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eC
add name="channel-5-48-eC" frequency=5240 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eC
add name="channel-5-52-eC" frequency=5260 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eC
add name="channel-5-56-eC" frequency=5270 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eC
add name="channel-5-60-eC" frequency=5300 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eC
add name="channel-5-64-eC" frequency=5320 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eC

add name="channel-5-36-Ceee" frequency=5180 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ceee
add name="channel-5-40-Ceee" frequency=5200 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ceee
add name="channel-5-44-Ceee" frequency=5220 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ceee
add name="channel-5-48-Ceee" frequency=5240 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ceee
add name="channel-5-52-Ceee" frequency=5260 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ceee
add name="channel-5-56-Ceee" frequency=5270 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ceee
add name="channel-5-60-Ceee" frequency=5300 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ceee
add name="channel-5-64-Ceee" frequency=5320 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=Ceee

add name="channel-5-36-eCee" frequency=5180 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eCee
add name="channel-5-40-eCee" frequency=5200 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eCee
add name="channel-5-44-eCee" frequency=5220 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eCee
add name="channel-5-48-eCee" frequency=5240 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eCee
add name="channel-5-52-eCee" frequency=5260 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eCee
add name="channel-5-56-eCee" frequency=5270 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eCee
add name="channel-5-60-eCee" frequency=5300 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eCee
add name="channel-5-64-eCee" frequency=5320 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eCee

add name="channel-5-36-eeCe" frequency=5180 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeCe
add name="channel-5-40-eeCe" frequency=5200 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeCe
add name="channel-5-44-eeCe" frequency=5220 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeCe
add name="channel-5-48-eeCe" frequency=5240 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeCe
add name="channel-5-52-eeCe" frequency=5260 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeCe
add name="channel-5-56-eeCe" frequency=5270 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeCe
add name="channel-5-60-eeCe" frequency=5300 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeCe
add name="channel-5-64-eeCe" frequency=5320 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeCe

add name="channel-5-36-eeeC" frequency=5180 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeeC
add name="channel-5-40-eeeC" frequency=5200 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeeC
add name="channel-5-44-eeeC" frequency=5220 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeeC
add name="channel-5-48-eeeC" frequency=5240 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeeC
add name="channel-5-52-eeeC" frequency=5260 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeeC
add name="channel-5-56-eeeC" frequency=5270 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeeC
add name="channel-5-60-eeeC" frequency=5300 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeeC
add name="channel-5-64-eeeC" frequency=5320 width=20 band=5ghz-a/n/ac extension-channel=eeeC

thebigcow
just joined

Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:33 pm

My hAP AC idles at 59 degrees Celsius in a room that is around 21. Is this normal?

ivicask

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:34 am

My hAP AC idles at 59 degrees Celsius in a room that is around 21. Is this normal?
Same here, and during high throughput transfers on 5Ghz it goes up to 70, and i get wifi disconnects than after 10-15mins..

athurdent

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:34 am

Too bad, cannot post images in this board.
My hAP AC (located in Germany, room temperature, wall mounted) is at an average of 38°C over the last 3 month, about 6 clients connected, mostly idle.
My wAP AC (also Germany, room temperature, lying on a shelf) has an average of 54°C also over the last 3 month, about 0-2 clients conneted, mostly idle.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:35 am

None of these temperatures should pose any risks to the device. It works fine even up to 65C ambient temperature.

ivicask

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:48 am

None of these temperatures should pose any risks to the device. It works fine even up to 65C ambient temperature.
How about device it self?What temperatures are safe as i said i saw mine going to 70c(Room temperature below 25C) and than im getting wireless disconnects..

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:50 am

How about device it self?What temperatures are safe as i said i saw mine going to 70c(Room temperature below 25C) and than im getting wireless disconnects..
55C is completely normal for the CPU, and can get higher. Disconnects should not be related, must be a coincidence. What do the Wireless Debug logs say about them? Which frequency are the clients using when they disconnect ?

ivicask

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:15 am

55C is completely normal for the CPU, and can get higher. Disconnects should not be related, must be a coincidence. What do the Wireless Debug logs say about them? Which frequency are the clients using when they disconnect ?
5GHz interface, disconnected extensive data loost is only thing in logs, than im unable connect back for about 2minutes back.I also tested this on stock rested HAP AC with default configuration without entering any settings.It also kicks ALL clients connected to interface not just one.

It happens when i transfer large files over network share(about 30gb of pst files), to a connected laptop equipped with dual chain AC, speeds go up to 400mbit/s during transfer and CPU usage is around 50% and it doesnt not go even near 100%, and i have NO other 5ghz networks in range.This doesnt happen on 2ghz interface, or when i connect slower 5ghz clients or single chain clients.

Also not sure how to capture logs when its random 10-30 mins of copy, and Supout runs for few sec only, is there a way to monitor entire process until it breaks?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:26 am

The error indicates poor signal.
You can make a new logging topic to file (hAP ac has the space for this)

Like this:
screen 4.jpg
screen 5.jpg

ivicask

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:28 am

The error indicates poor signal.
You can make a new logging topic to file (hAP ac has the space for this)

Like this:

screen 4.jpg

screen 5.jpg
Your answer makes no sense, how would i achieve 400mbit per sec(up to 50MB per sec) transfer in low signal?

Im 3-4m form router, CCQ is near 100%, signal and everything is in perfect conditions.

I will try capture the logs as you described above and ill submit ticket
Thanks.
Last edited by ivicask on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:29 am

Interference can cause noise and disturb the signal. You don't have disconnects all the time. It could be many things

gandlz
just joined

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:47 pm

Hello,

just touching my new hAP ac and have a question on 5G-wireless:

I see it does not support tx power mode “card rates” or “manual”. I can only choose “all rates fixed”. As this is not recommended to use, how can I safely increase tx power to 200 or 500mW (23 or 27dBm). This is allowed where I live, depending on the frequency.

Edit: I just found out, that it seems handle transmit power according to regulatory-domain and frequency but I would say this is wrong:

5150-5250 - allowed: 200mW, hAP ac: 100mW
5250-5350 - allowed: 100mW (200mW only with TPC), hAP ac: 200mW
5470-5725 - allowed: 500mW (1000mW only with TPC), hAP ac: 500mW

So only the third range is correct. The first and second seem to be exchanged. Am I misinformed?

Also, “current tx power” shows an empty table at 5G-interface. On 2G-interface it is working.

Thanks a lot!
Gandlz

Valexus
just joined

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:19 am

Hello everyone,

i used Mikrotik devices over the last couple years and they have been very stable for me.
My last configuration was my RB2011 as gateway and capsman in combination with a hAP Accesspoint.
This configuration was stable but my neighbors seems to get a new wlan ap or printer every day so there are 10+ wlans in 2.4GHz segment which results in poor performance.

So i decided to get a hAP AC and only use the 5GHz frequency. Everything worked perfect for 2 days but then the wireless startet flapping.
The SSID was sometimes not visible, then came back but the devices were unable to connect and then it disappeared again.
A reboot of the hAP AC resolves the problem for a short time and then it starts again. Unfortunately there were no entrys in the logs.
The Problem happens with and without capsman and only in 5GHz frequency. The 2.4 configuration is actually running stable.

It seems that there is a bug in ROS or a hardware fault...

I'm a network engineer and work mostly which Cisco or Brocade devices so i know what i'm doing.
I also send a supout to support but i don't think about getting a response before next year.

Configuration:
Frequency: 5500 Ceee
With: 20/40/80MHz

ROS: 6.37.3

Thanks in advance!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:47 pm

Did you check the wireless debug logs?

grusu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:05 pm

Hello everyone,

i used Mikrotik devices over the last couple years and they have been very stable for me.
My last configuration was my RB2011 as gateway and capsman in combination with a hAP Accesspoint.
This configuration was stable but my neighbors seems to get a new wlan ap or printer every day so there are 10+ wlans in 2.4GHz segment which results in poor performance.

So i decided to get a hAP AC and only use the 5GHz frequency. Everything worked perfect for 2 days but then the wireless startet flapping.
The SSID was sometimes not visible, then came back but the devices were unable to connect and then it disappeared again.
A reboot of the hAP AC resolves the problem for a short time and then it starts again. Unfortunately there were no entrys in the logs.
The Problem happens with and without capsman and only in 5GHz frequency. The 2.4 configuration is actually running stable.

It seems that there is a bug in ROS or a hardware fault...

I'm a network engineer and work mostly which Cisco or Brocade devices so i know what i'm doing.
I also send a supout to support but i don't think about getting a response before next year.

Configuration:
Frequency: 5500 Ceee
With: 20/40/80MHz

ROS: 6.37.3

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I had the same problem since it was introduced DFS automatic mode.
I returned to version 6.36.4 and everything seems ok.

Valexus
just joined

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:12 pm

Did you check the wireless debug logs?
Not yet but i will start a debug log today in the evening.
I had the same problem since it was introduced DFS automatic mode.
I returned to version 6.36.4 and everything seems ok.
Thanks for this information. I start the debug log today and then try to downgrade to this version.

Valexus
just joined

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:45 pm

After starting the logging and activating 5GHz again with frequency "auto" it choosed 5500MHz and startet to act strange like before.

The wireless Debug log wasn't very helpful
Dec/19/2016 19:01:02 wireless,debug wlan2: 78:F8:82:D0:7E:50 attempts to associate
Dec/19/2016 19:01:02 wireless,debug wlan2: 78:F8:82:D0:7E:50 not in local ACL, by default accept
Dec/19/2016 19:01:55 wireless,debug wlan2: 78:F8:82:D0:7E:50 attempts to associate
Dec/19/2016 19:01:55 wireless,debug wlan2: 78:F8:82:D0:7E:50 not in local ACL, by default accept
Dec/19/2016 19:04:03 wireless,debug wlan2: E0:63:E5:D3:D9:2E attempts to associate
Dec/19/2016 19:04:03 wireless,debug wlan2: E0:63:E5:D3:D9:2E not in local ACL, by default accept
Dec/19/2016 19:32:26 wireless,debug wlan2: 78:F8:82:D0:7E:50 attempts to associate
Dec/19/2016 19:32:26 wireless,debug wlan2: 78:F8:82:D0:7E:50 not in local ACL, by default accept
Dec/19/2016 19:33:36 wireless,debug wlan2: 78:F8:82:D0:7E:50 attempts to associate
Dec/19/2016 19:33:36 wireless,debug wlan2: 78:F8:82:D0:7E:50 not in local ACL, by default accept
I've set frequency to 5260 and now i'm testing again.

zhup
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:30 pm

Hello,

Are you going to release the HAP AC v2 with the more powerful hardware (CPU, more ram etc.)?

freshmeat123
just joined

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:34 am

I tried to use sfp port with this copper SFP GLC-T-A:
# monitor sfp1
sfp-connector-type: LC
sfp-link-length-copper: 100m
sfp-vendor-name: CISCO-FINISAR
sfp-vendor-part-number: SFP-T
sfp-vendor-revision: 11.0
sfp-vendor-serial: MTC100810350
sfp-manufacturing-date: 10-10-18
eeprom-checksum: good
{skip}
without certain success. In general, this transceiver didn't work with hap ac for me but one time i had successful link (1G) to my book Acer V5-573G (RTL8411). Not sure what happens in this case, seems link up immediately after hard reboot of device, but it can't reproduce it again. I suspect that it's looks like auto-negotiation issue.
When i insert this modue into CRS210 (into sfp-sfpplus1 port) - all works fine.

Do i have a chance with hap ac and this copper module (i tried any possible variations with auto-negotiation on/off and manual defining speed/duplex on a both sides).
Or just stop doing wrong and buy S-RJ01?

---
Igor

freshmeat123
just joined

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:58 pm

I've got S-RJ01 for testing. Native copper module works fine with hap ac.
Do i have a chance with hap ac and this copper module (i tried any possible variations with auto-negotiation on/off and manual defining speed/duplex on a both sides).

OKNET

Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Once HapAC is placed in CAPs mode, it is no more seen on /ip neighbor table
Turned back in stand-alone mode it is seen again
Is it a normal behaviour ?

shafiqrahman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:05 pm

There is a device (Amazon Fire) which disconnects and connects continuously, is there a way to make it stable? Another, thing is that , I use a broadband connection which prone to disconnection , with my previous router whenever something happens with the internet connection there is "Yellow triangle" appears on the system tray of my windows computer. So, I could know that there is nothing wrong with my end, so I can call the ISP to fix the issue. But, since upgrading to hAP AC, its always connected, whether there is internet connection or not. So, How can I make that yellow triangle appear when there is no internet connection.

deanMKD1

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:59 pm

Is this device faulty fixed, or still have issues with WAN to LAN speeds? Anyone with newer production batch to tell me?

wolfktl
just joined

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:04 pm

Is this device faulty fixed, or still have issues with WAN to LAN speeds? Anyone with newer production batch to tell me?
There is a problem in the transition from the WAN (L2TP) local area network
Download speed 40 Mbps maximum outbound 90 Mbps.
When channel 100 Mbps
But best from the device shows 90/90

flicker
just joined

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:09 pm

# monitor sfp1
sfp-connector-type: LC
sfp-vendor-name: CISCO-FINISAR
sfp-vendor-part-number: SFP-T
sfp-vendor-revision: 11.0
sfp-vendor-serial: MTC100810350
sfp-manufacturing-date: 10-10-18
{skip}
without certain success. In general, this transceiver didn't work with hap ac for me but one time i had successful link (1G) to my book Acer V5-573G (RTL8411). Not sure what happens in this case, seems link up immediately after hard reboot of device, but it can't reproduce it again. I suspect that it's looks like auto-negotiation issue.
When i insert this modue into CRS210 (into sfp-sfpplus1 port) - all works fine.

The same. HAP AC, 6.40.4 Tried several different copper SFP without success. Here are two of them:
          auto-negotiation: done
               advertising: 
  link-partner-advertising: 
        sfp-module-present: yes
               sfp-rx-loss: no
                  sfp-type: SFP-or-SFP+
           sfp-vendor-name: FINISAR CORP.
    sfp-vendor-part-number: FCLF-8521-3
       sfp-vendor-revision: A
         sfp-vendor-serial: PL53JUK
    sfp-manufacturing-date: 11-07-29
                    eeprom: 0000: 03 04 00 00 00 00 08 00  00 00 00 01 0c 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            0010: 00 00 64 00 46 49 4e 49  53 41 52 20 43 4f 52 50  ..d.FINI SAR CORP
                            0020: 2e 20 20 20 00 00 90 65  46 43 4c 46 2d 38 35 32  .   ...e FCLF-852
                            0030: 31 2d 33 20 20 20 20 20  41 20 20 20 00 00 00 1c  1-3      A   ....
                            0040: 00 10 00 00 50 4c 35 33  4a 55 4b 20 20 20 20 20  ....PL53 JUK     
                            0050: 20 20 20 20 31 31 30 37  32 39 20 20 00 00 00 92      1107 29  ....
                            0060: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            0070: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            0080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            0090: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            00a0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            00b0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            00c0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            00d0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            00e0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            00f0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........

name: sfp1
          auto-negotiation: done
               advertising: 
  link-partner-advertising: 
        sfp-module-present: yes
               sfp-rx-loss: no
                  sfp-type: SFP-or-SFP+
           sfp-vendor-name: FOUNDRY NETWORKS
    sfp-vendor-part-number: ABCU-5700RZ-FD
         sfp-vendor-serial: AN09337041
    sfp-manufacturing-date: 09-08-16
                    eeprom: 0000: 03 04 00 00 00 00 08 00  00 00 00 01 0d 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            0010: 00 00 64 00 46 4f 55 4e  44 52 59 20 4e 45 54 57  ..d.FOUN DRY NETW
                            0020: 4f 52 4b 53 00 00 17 6a  41 42 43 55 2d 35 37 30  ORKS...j ABCU-570
                            0030: 30 52 5a 2d 46 44 20 20  20 20 20 20 00 00 00 fd  0RZ-FD       ....
                            0040: 00 12 00 00 41 4e 30 39  33 33 37 30 34 31 20 20  ....AN09 337041  
                            0050: 20 20 20 20 30 39 30 38  31 36 20 20 00 00 00 74      0908 16  ...t
                            0060: 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20  20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20                   
                            0070: 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20  20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20                   
                            0080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            0090: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            00a0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            00b0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            00c0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            00d0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            00e0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
                            00f0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ........ ........
First model (FCLF-8521-3) is listed at:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Peripherals

Update: this is a autonegotiation problem, indeed. I was able to get link when I had pulled off the sfp, switched autonegotiation: off, speed: 1G, full duplex: yes, and then inserted the sfp again.

Thanks to the guy who described this procedure somewhere in russian forum.

deanMKD1

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:51 pm

Working temperature on my HAP AC is not going under 29 Celsius.

So for so good for me.

666blade666
just joined

Tue May 29, 2018 10:18 am

Hi. Help me please. I have HAP AC and iPhone 5s. iPhone 5s support 5Ghz, but I can`t connect my iPhone 5s to 5Ghz, to have maximum wifi speed. Here is my wifi settings:

[mikrotik@user] > /interface wireless security-profiles print where name=profile1
Flags: * - default
0 name="profile1" mode=dynamic-keys authentication-types=wpa2-psk unicast-ciphers=aes-ccm group-ciphers=aes-ccm wpa-pre-shared-key="" wpa2-pre-shared-key="p123456789" supplicant-identity="mikrotik" eap-methods=passthrough
tls-mode=no-certificates tls-certificate=none mschapv2-username="" mschapv2-password="" static-algo-0=none static-key-0="" static-algo-1=none static-key-1="" static-algo-2=none static-key-2="" static-algo-3=none static-key-3=""
static-transmit-key=key-0 static-sta-private-algo=none static-sta-private-key="" radius-mac-authentication=no radius-mac-accounting=no radius-eap-accounting=no interim-update=0s radius-mac-format=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX radius-mac-mode=as-use
radius-mac-caching=disabled group-key-update=5m management-protection=disabled management-protection-key=""
[mikrotik@user] > /interface wireless print where name=wlan2
Flags: X - disabled, R - running
0 R name="wlan2" mtu=1500 l2mtu=1600 mac-address=E4:8D:8C:53:82:0E arp=enabled interface-type=Atheros AR9888 mode=ap-bridge ssid="5Ghz" frequency=auto band=5ghz-onlyac channel-width=20/40/80mhz-Ceee secondary-channel="" scan-list=default
wireless-protocol=any vlan-mode=no-tag vlan-id=1 wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none wds-ignore-ssid=no bridge-mode=enabled default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=yes default-ap-tx-limit=0 default-client-tx-limit=0 hide-ssid=yes
security-profile=profile1 compression=no

I connect my iPhone 5s to airCubeAC (Ubiquiti) on 5Ghz and I got speed 88\76. Please tell me the best 5Ghz wifi settings for maximus speed on iPhone 5s.
If I'm not mistaken iPhone 5s have Broadcom BCM4334. On 2.4 Ghz WiFi works fine (I mean DHCP and other services works pretty well).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 29, 2018 11:31 am

No. The iPhone 5s supports only 802.11a/b/g/n and has no MIMO technology.
You enabled "only-ac" which the iPhone 5s does not support. It would work at 80Mbit in 802.11n mode.

666blade666
just joined

Tue May 29, 2018 12:53 pm

Like this?
[mikrotik@user] > /interface wireless set [find default-name=wlan2] band=5ghz-n/ac country=ukraine default-authentication=\
yes default-forwarding=yes frequency=auto mode=ap-bridge security-profile=profile1 ssid=5Ghz bridge-mode=enabled wireless-protocol=\
any scan-list=default wps-mode=push-button vlan-mode=no-tag vlan-id=1 hide-ssid=yes channel-width=20/40/80mhz-Ceee
/interface wireless enable wlan2
And what about: channel-width=20/40/80mhz-Ceee - correct option?