Community discussions

timmay2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

hEX PoE lite with VDSL modem

Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 pm

I'l love to see a hEX PoE lite style router with built in VDSL modem (or even two VDSL modems that can be bonded) :-)

Any plans for such a device?

One other requirement, which is why I said like the hEX PoE lite is to have PoE out (1 Amp) on at least one port.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: hEX PoE lite with VDSL modem

Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:30 pm

its niche, fading market.
and had not much sense to implment VDSL when telecom in state on transition to gFast(and some already start testin gFast phase2 gear), anyway.
its simpler to connect VDSL modem by patch cord to you RB(or other ROS-driven device).

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:09 pm

its niche, fading market.
and had not much sense to implment VDSL when telecom in state on transition to gFast(and some already start testin gFast phase2 gear), anyway.
its simpler to connect VDSL modem by patch cord to you RB(or other ROS-driven device).

yes that topic was previously discussed

timmay2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:16 pm

Maybe a better solution would be VDSL modem in an SFP and then in the future g.fast modem in an SFP.

There must be a better solution than a pile of VDSL modems with a pile of power supplies and lots of Ethernet cables. I want the option to have up-to 10 VDSL modems bonded.

An no a leased line isn't always the answer there can be excess construction running into ten's of thousands of pounds and then the monthly rental is still higher than multiple VDSL connections.

You know ADSL2+ isn't dead in the UK. BT and everyone else still sell it. Infact they often push adverts about ADSL2+ more as the price point is lower and they get away with claiming 20Mbps or don't say a speed, coz speed doesn't matter when data is unlimited right? /joke.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:19 am

g.fast apparently evolved quick.
gen 2 and gen3 devices arrive in months, probably.
so investing into SFP modules much probably not great idea. disposable and cheap standalone g.fast or vdsl2 modems much simpler for transitioning period.

kiler129
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:30 am

I want the option to have up-to 10 VDSL modems bonded.
Just curious - what are you gonna do with 10 VDSLs bonded?

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:17 am

I want the option to have up-to 10 VDSL modems bonded.
Just curious - what are you gonna do with 10 VDSLs bonded?
seems its quite common in NA to use bonded xDSL uplink.
sometimes it was shared then over wi-fi :) in rural ares such kind of "internet providers" was become considerable portion of, there.

joegoldman

Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:04 pm

I believe its previously been discussed by Mikrotik staff - moving to xDSL technologies comes with a brand new range of compliance for the various regions. Where as the gear they make at the moment is pretty much wide compliance, interfacing with the PSTN of multiple countries, there can be lots of different compliance requirements for different regions, and would likely result in a multitude of revisions of the same device for the equivalent markets, vs things like the wireless gear that can be modified with software for compliance (EIRP etc)

Now, I could very well be misguided on this fact, but I believe that is the reason previously given, and I think is a fair one. With the amount of investment / R&D, they'd have a hard time taking down the big players like TP-Link, Netgear, D-Link etc.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:17 pm

presonally i would like keeping afloat xDSL technology. (more than xPON nonsese or nightmarish DOCSIS thingy.)
shdsl, VDSL2 and Especially new g.fast devices/interfaces.
its was quite popular, both in cities and Especially in RURAL regions. not only by connecting to ISP's, but for "digital vilage" usages, ie society-driven networking/MAN, sometimes without Internet uplinks at all :/
interestingly enough - vendors still make them even among 1st echelon. just noticed new cute VDSL modem from Zyxel for example :)