Community discussions

Kreacher
Topic Author

RouterOS x_86 64Bit & better Hardware support

Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:44 pm

Hello all,

I would only ask for a x_86 64Bit version of RouterOS or if this would be coming at one day
to have a better support of newer hardware available from many vendors, actually.

RouterOS:
- Real 64Bit RouterOS with no GB RAM limit
- Real or better CPU Multicore & HT support
- Intel QuickAssist support
- Intel AES-NI support

Hardware:
- PC Engines APU & APU2 Boards
- New Intel Xeon D-1540 based mainboards
- Intel Atom C2358, C2558 and C2758 Boards
- Intel Xeon E3-12xx v3/v4 CPU based systems
- Axiomtek NA342, NA361, NA342R, NA361R and others appliances from them

In my opinion there is actually no way to prevent Mikrotik from releasing such a RouterOS
version, because there is an absolutely wall of devices that is serving all customers from the
lower bottom to the highest top with many new RouterBoards except the CCR series that will
be much sufficient and right sorted to deliver right speed as needed for everybody.

So I really thing it would be time now to offer also the x_86 customers something they would
be able to assemble their own router that might be matching their needs more than the offered
ones by Mikrotik. Why we must be going to use pfSense, OPNSense, ZeroShell, OpenWRT,
Untangle or other systems
and cant´t use the RouterOS instead delivering the same hardware
capabilities as the others.

For sure the main goal of MikroTik may be selling their RouterBoards, RouterOS licenses
on them and on top trainings, but having a second feed on the earth might be in harder times
also a good choice related to the UBNT routers and pfSense SG units.
Kindly regards
Kreacher ♬

--------------------------------------
Karma points must not be paid by you

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RouterOS x_86 64Bit & better Hardware support

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:33 am

Hello all,

I would only ask for a x_86 64Bit version of RouterOS or if this would be coming at one day
to have a better support of newer hardware available from many vendors, actually.

RouterOS:
- Real 64Bit RouterOS with no GB RAM limit
- Real or better CPU Multicore & HT support
- Intel QuickAssist support
- Intel AES-NI support

Hardware:
- PC Engines APU & APU2 Boards
- New Intel Xeon D-1540 based mainboards
- Intel Atom C2358, C2558 and C2758 Boards
- Intel Xeon E3-12xx v3/v4 CPU based systems
- Axiomtek NA342, NA361, NA342R, NA361R and others appliances from them

In my opinion there is actually no way to prevent Mikrotik from releasing such a RouterOS
version, because there is an absolutely wall of devices that is serving all customers from the
lower bottom to the highest top with many new RouterBoards except the CCR series that will
be much sufficient and right sorted to deliver right speed as needed for everybody.

So I really thing it would be time now to offer also the x_86 customers something they would
be able to assemble their own router that might be matching their needs more than the offered
ones by Mikrotik. Why we must be going to use pfSense, OPNSense, ZeroShell, OpenWRT,
Untangle or other systems
and cant´t use the RouterOS instead delivering the same hardware
capabilities as the others.

For sure the main goal of MikroTik may be selling their RouterBoards, RouterOS licenses
on them and on top trainings, but having a second feed on the earth might be in harder times
also a good choice related to the UBNT routers and pfSense SG units.

excuse me i dont have experience with x86 on routeros but im interested.

is not possible to install routeros on a xeon d 1540 or tom C2358, C2558 and C2758 Boards??

or the problem is the absence of 64bit release to take advantage of more ram??

kiler129
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:13 am

Releasing 64 bit version of any software is not just about changing a flipswitch in IDE from 32-bit to 64-bit. There're many assumptions and catches while releasing 64-bit version of an app (not talking about whole operating system).
Believe me, as a developer I can assure you it's a long process involved in providing 64-bit version ;)

Kreacher
Topic Author

Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:45 am

@chechito
excuse me i dont have experience with x86 on routeros but im interested.
MikroTik is offering to his customers a wide range of devices, except router, but
if something is not matching your criteria or you want to build a router by your own
you can swap to the RouterOS X_86, but more and more hardware is becoming
X_86 64Bit and also beside with functions that can be used super fine for a router
also, likes AES-NI for VPN encryption and Intel QuickAssist for encryption and
compression for speeding up OpenVPN or gaining up all entire throughput.
is not possible to install routeros on a xeon d 1540 or tom C2358, C2558 and C2758 Boards??
- The RAM usage is cut to 2 GB of RAM only
Would be great to use more then 2 GB and not only for the OS alone (KVM)
- The multicore or HT is mostly so bad that you must turn it off!
But this is today a normal thing integrated in many CPUs and will speed up the entire system
- No AES-NI and Intel QuickAssist support, but integrated in many Intel Atom SoCs
But also no other VPN card support likes the Soekris vpn1401 or vpn1411 cards
- The entire throughput or speed of Internet connections are gaining and intel QuickAssist
would be give you the ability to "pump" many more data through the line!
Others are working on that and it would be fine to see it also here in the x_86 system for sure.
or the problem is the absence of 64Bit release to take advantage of more ram??
Not only on more RAM as explained above, there are many vendors and they are all bringing up
much and good 64Bit based Hardware, and on a 64Bit system a 64Bit software will offer the entire
or whole power without limitations, nothing more is needed and the licenses for x_86 should be also
a enrichment of the whole MikroTik company. Likes explained above there are very cool hardware
out now likes;
- Intel Atom C2000 series (" former Rangeley")
-- AES-NI, QuickAssist and up to 8 Cores + HT & up to 8 GB - 64 GB RAM pending on the vendor
- Intel Xeon Xeon D-1540
-- Up to eight CPU cores with HT and up to 128 GB RAM
- Intel Xeon E3-12xx v3/v4 with 4 Cores & HT and up to 32 GB RAM
- Intel Celeron J1900 SoC
-- Up to 4 Cores & 8 GB RAM
- PC Engines APU or APU2 (launch January 2016) Boards
-- APU dual CPU Cores and up to 4 GB RAM
-- APU2 Quad CPU Cores and up to 4 GB ECC RAM + AES-NI
- Soekris net6801 (if not really canceled)
-- Intel Atom C2000 Soc "Rangley" with QuickAssist and AES-NI
- Axiomtek Taiwan, are offering with their NA series for desktop and rackmount
a wide range of routers that can be sorted any kind of company and network size
-- Again Multicore or HT able CPUs, from 4 GB till 128 GB RAM, AES-MI and QuickAssist
- Lanner´s FW-889x Series might be the ideal bigger routers for greater companies or
installations with AES-NI and Intel QuickAssist and Xeon E5-2600v3 CPUs with much CPU Cores
and able to hold 64 GB - 512 GB RAM and for sure also the smaller series for desktop usage

So cit would be fine to use them and unleash the given potential they are serving, but with
a 32Bit system, and HT support disabled, on top only 2 GB RAM and now VPN or compression hardware support it might be sounding kindly but for a system we have to pay a license fee for
the most users await something more from.

@kiler129
Releasing 64 bit version of any software is not just about changing a flipswitch in IDE from
32-bit to 64-bit.
This might be sure, but I think I could ask for that or a system like that, because there is
hardware I would be using together with RouterOS, and I am pretty sure MikroTik is able
to translate it to 64Bit and also to integrate the wished functions, options and features!
If they want I mean.
There're many assumptions and catches while releasing 64-bit version of an app (not talking about whole operating system).
Yes you are right, last seen this at the compiling to TileGX platform or writing this code from
the scratch!
Believe me, as a developer I can assure you it's a long process involved in providing 64-bit version
For sure this might be a challenge for any code writer, and this must not be done now,
there are so many things that could be done, likes a new TheDUDE or other stuff likes even.

But what could it be wrong to ask for such a 64Bit RouterOS in 2015/2016?
Kindly regards
Kreacher ♬

hedele

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:56 am

As far as I know, CHR (the "official" VM version of RouterOS) is already x86_64 enabled - but Mikrotik refuses to offer this kernel in the x86 distribution. Maybe somebody with a lot of skill can rip the kernel out of the CHR and inject it in the x86 version.

So as it stands right now, you will need to put any kind of hypervisor on your Server, and then license CHR on it to take advantage of all the 64 bit benefits.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:39 am

for your normal x86 installs 64bit kernel will break things. This is why it is not offered for current standard RouterOS relaese.

6.31 had a bug, where one could select between 32bit or 64bit kernel, however, you are not gaining much if anything and all the userspace is still 32bit.

For now you are better off with 32bit kernel with 32bit userspace.

Kreacher
Topic Author

Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:48 pm

for your normal x86 installs 64bit kernel will break things. This is why it is not offered for current standard RouterOS relaese.

6.31 had a bug, where one could select between 32bit or 64bit kernel, however, you are not gaining much if anything and all the userspace is still 32bit.

For now you are better off with 32bit kernel with 32bit userspace.
Ok, thank you for your answer @janisk, that was what I want to hear!
I could being that you were perhaps planing something or in a not so easy
to tell or name time it would be able to get the hands on those releases.
If not, also not a real problem, but good to know.
Kindly regards
Kreacher ♬