Community discussions

MikroTik App

despinoza
just joined
Topic Author

Ubiquiti ERLite3 beats Mikrotik RB1100AHx2 on performance. Can it be possible?

Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:12 pm

Please take a look at this. I've used both and don't think that this could be possible.
Is that Lab a trusted source?

https://dl.ubnt.com/Tolly212128Ubiquiti ... kroTik.pdf

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Ubiquiti ERLite3 beats Mikrotik RB1100AHx2 on performance. Can it be possible?

Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:50 am

That lab made incorrect configuration, so we explained here how to get good results:

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Pe ... or#Summary

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Ubiquiti ERLite3 beats Mikrotik RB1100AHx2 on performance. Can it be possible?

Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:25 pm

that test is too old (from june 2012) is not representative of Actual performance of RouterOS

the test was performed with ROuterOS 5.18, today we are on RouterOS 6.33

in last years mikrotik have improved a lot of performance

off course do not expect a test payed by a vendor showing results dis-favorable to them 8)

rb1100ahx2 is a proven high performance workhorse trusted by many isp who can witness its performance and stability

personally i have seen a rb1100ahx2 perform better than shown that report

picacho99

Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:19 pm

My experience...it depends on your understanding of "beating".....
- On bugs, yes it beats. offload is unestable and becomes quickly desactivated when using QoS
- On non profesional support, yes it beats.
- If you want a really hot device, yes it beats.
- If you refer to an OS that has not often updates...again beats...

I have just, finally, thanks my God, replaced an ERLITE-3 by an RB/3011 on a 300/300 Mbits PPOE/Nated fiber connection with IPTV and IP phone...unbeliable: back to have a router in a corner of my house acting as a router and not calling often my attention to have it alive !

Best Regards

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

AW: Ubiquiti ERLite3 beats Mikrotik RB1100AHx2 on performance. Can it be possible?

Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:16 pm

I have no doubt that the erl is faster - within its operational parameters.

It's a limited, but very fast device. It's a good device in its class.

That said, even if the benchmarks by Mikrotik are optimistic, I think it's faster than ubnt claims in that PDF.

kobuki
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:45 am

I have just, finally, thanks my God, replaced an ERLITE-3 by an RB/3011 on a 300/300 Mbits PPOE/Nated fiber connection with IPTV and IP phone...unbeliable: back to have a router in a corner of my house acting as a router and not calling often my attention to have it alive !
Can you saturate your 300 MB up and down at the same time, through NAT, or one direction only? Could you post some CPU figures while doing it?

djdrastic

Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:30 pm

All of my ERL3's have suffered from faulty onboard USB storage.If you buy one of these make sure you buy a high quality USB Storage thumbdrive because the ones UBNT ship with them are pure unadulterated garbage.

Something I can say I have never suffered with any of my RB1100AXH2's

picacho99

Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:35 pm

Can you saturate your 300 MB up and down at the same time, through NAT, or one direction only? Could you post some CPU figures while doing it?

Dear @kobuki.

Please see my posts about the subject on this forum entry http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 00#p511703....I have not a clear idea about how multiple CPUs (in this case two) manage/deal with multiple TCP streams :( Waiting for comments on that....and also to have a more stable RouterOS for this device: it is just launched and in any case much more stable than my first experience with ERLITE-3 (I started with OS versión 1.5, after 1.6 to go back to 1.5 becuase offloading issues, back to 1.6 using a dirty patch and finally...decided to avoid to taste 1.7...).

Kind Regards

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

AW: Re: Ubiquiti ERLite3 beats Mikrotik RB1100AHx2 on performance. Can it be possible?

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:02 pm

With the erl you can, even 1gbit. Cpu remains very low, it's all in hardware packet processors.

picacho99

Re: AW: Re: Ubiquiti ERLite3 beats Mikrotik RB1100AHx2 on performance. Can it be possible?

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:30 pm

With the erl you can, even 1gbit. Cpu remains very low, it's all in hardware packet processors.
Looking to my personal experience: yes, when ERLITE offload works reliable (not in the case of 1.6 and 1.7 with VLAN offload...does not manage correctly link going down and up....you can ask about the subject to hundreds of Spain Telefonica ISP users ( fiber and ONT providing a link with 3 vlans: PPOE, IPTV and IPPhone) or when this feature is compatible with some not default configurations....

Best wishes

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:00 pm

once you start using ERL3 or ER8 "as router" ie in megningful, non-plain/empty configuration - both performance figures(even in case of offoading left enabled/working) and manageability falling down terrific.
so "in general" it may be look good idea/concept/product "on paper" (i was dreamed about vanilla linux--powered router for years, for example), but in practice had not so much use, sadly.
thats "imperfections" i meant mostly firmware-wise. error-resilency, deivce survivability, manageability(UI cover around 10% of functionality of devices) of product quite marginal, "securtity" features near non-existent. nearly no rules/options to configure firewall, not basic IPS/IDS feats, not even marginal PSD mimic. not even some "stub" replacement for that(like say FWSNORT(not mistake with full-blown snort) and psd itself).
if they had device with 2Gb of RAM atleast and 7130 chip atleast - it may had performance, worth comparing to 3011 or CCR1009, but regardless hardware, EdgeOS remain based on "oldstable" Debian snapshot and inherit majority of disasters aswell. ethernet chip had to be better aswell to not becoming "bottlenecking" part, since they aiming to "1Gb" wirespeed for each port its had to had 8337 atleast for that.
and btw, hardware-wise - there was nothing groundbreaking on market, making networking gear choice really so important, yet :( CCR things was cool, but seems ROS not fully adapted to such devices, yet.
Last edited by Zorro on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiler129

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:25 pm

All of my ERL3's have suffered from faulty onboard USB storage.
Wait a second... you're saying whole OS is on the USB stick?!

It's ridiculous and unreliable :?

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

AW: Re: Ubiquiti ERLite3 beats Mikrotik RB1100AHx2 on performance. Can it be possible?

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Yes and yes.

djdrastic

Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:27 pm

Yep that's the one.You can find some OEMs (like the Sandisk Cruzer) that produce flash drives that fit into that enclosure of theirs but really all you are doing is extending the time of death.For a good laugh I've had some numbskulls on their forums say it's actually a good feature because you can move the flash drive from one zombied ERL3 to another semi Zombie ERL device.

I wonder what drug UBNT sometimes put in some peoples water haha

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:40 pm

as for ERL3 bootloader - its more complicated.
its actually consisted Two chips and first small U-boot chip was planted on rear side of PCB to ensure hammermill features survivability/persistency aswell as bootloader and console ports usability.
you may notice GPL-related squabbles/debated on UBNT-related resources in FOSS maillists and forums(outside UBNT hive).
and yes, its F-kn unbelievable/boring to send WHOLE device for RMA just because faulty USB-stick that cost $2,instead of ordering newer one or just allow customers Download images to Their sticks and Offload LOT of expenses from yourselves, thus and save LOT of times and nerves for both. i had 2 ERL3 with died storage in back-office before(shifted to CCR1016 over time)and very hard to explain situation sometimes, lol.

kiler129

Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:18 am

I had some plans to test ER series but after few reviews and that foto of USB stick inside I'm 100% sure there're no place for that in my network.
To summarize what I found ER have a nice web panel, good ads (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qyu8iaqcfk that one is the best I've ever seen) but they lack real features or stability. "Save rules order" in firewall? Really?! :lol:

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:29 pm

despite being old(and staff converge some engineers from well-known and respected companies)company, UBNT was quite Tiny team. whole company consist ~100ppl, so for such small(for engineering/networking measures/scale) company - its definitely Not bad and lot better than some Chinese start-ups did, for comparison.
and yes, those Ads ARE funny. UBNT told to do more movies of that kind, but that never happens :(

kiler129

Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:37 am

whole company consist ~100ppl
According to Wikipedia MT is around 160, so not much more ;)
Not bad and lot better than some Chinese start-ups did, for comparison.
Well... sure, but I think we should endeavor to better, not some Chinese-cheapo-crap. I can't really understand that decision - other products have a real flash soldered on the motherboard.
(...)and yes, those Ads ARE funny. UBNT told to do more blacklisted_site of that kind, but that never happens :(
Maybe we can expect something less-seriours from MikroTik? <looking at @normis>

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:52 am

as for USB-storage in ERL3 - there was only speculations about.
most popular two are : .1 its made to save UBNT from counterfeit hardware copies from china. 2. its was simpler/cheaper.

but potentially - its was Good idea, which can both simplify/speed-up manufacturing and simplify repair/recovery of devices, but sadly conditions/terms of service and absence of images to directly download from UBNT website and then dump to sticks(by DD with or without front-ends) - ruin it enteriely in consumers eyes.
imagine my initial surprise. and eyes of my boss, when i explain him situation, saying exactly what i said, ie "WTF?" aswell as "do you say we're told to send by airmail WHOLE router to get replaced/udated finger-sized cheapo $2 USB-stick inside it??!!"

as for Chinese vendors comparison: i generally wouldn't advise laugh at them. some even mid-sized companies - may had 300 to 500 ppl of Engineers ALONE(not without counting Workers/manufacturing, salespersons, shipping/advertising and other part of companies) and behemoths are - much bigger. so its only lack of experience among them(and really inconsistency/under-performance of higher education in China, yet - slowing them down. but for how long ? i don't think its very big numbers/time)
anyway, thanks to Chinese vendors(both finished devices and SoC suppliers, components manufacturers meant) - we're may see networking market in Much more interesting shape, than before(and have mikrotik devices made as inexpensive as we're had today) . for benefits of both consumers, vendors and global village of humanity/mankind, perhaps :)
but most of their companies - operate Solely in Chinese market, basically because most of them - majority and biggest OEM and ODM manufacturers in region and in World
just tested Netis 2881 for example. for inexpensive/cheap router with 1004k SoC its quite funny performing ) would be even cooler with ROS, of course ;) or OWRT or DDWRT or VyOS or anything esle(that you may prefer).