Community discussions

MikroTik App

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

routerboard light failure, again!

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:13 am

After a series of rb911-5HnD (lite) that failed an upgrade from 6.30.2 to separate packages we just received first batch of new SXT Lit5 ac (rbSXT5HacD2n) that develops same problem.

Board run fine out the box with the standar 6.30.2 full package. Our standard procedure is to boot the board, winbox into the unit to cancel the default script and reboot with dhcp-client on the ethernet.
After the reboot we load 4 or 5 desired packages, in this case 6.34.2 and reboot the unit to load these.
After that normally the unit comes up with the new package, we upload a script and that script reboots the unit with the option to also upgrade the firmware. After that unit is ready for use.

Not these boards. After the upload (drag and drop in windows from a folder into the winbox window, file menu.) and reboot the boards simply are not recognized by the discovery tool anymore.
But even with the mac address memorized, or the IP address is has been given just before this reboot.
None of these methods work any more.......

This is a brand new unit loaded with 6.30.2.npk and now I am forced to test all these 10 units of the batch and see if I can bring them back with a netinstall. (On de 911-5HnD boards this proved to be a lengthy process of several attempts to get the package uploaded. And only 70% succeeded. 30% of the boards became impossible to netinstall so were send back to supplier to be replaced....

I am not happy! We are a small business and can only purchase small quantities of units each time due the cash flow. If now each time these units give failures what to do? I already cancelled 2 installs for today because these units that we ordered for them now can't be used........ :( :(

SystemErrorMessage

Re: routerboard light failure, again!

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:50 am

There is a backup OS inside. When you update routerOS, use ftp instead of winbox or web as transfers can stop midway or time out.

A good ftp client like filezilla can help as it checks transfers. You will need to enable the ftp server in ip services.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:53 am

There is a backup OS inside.
How to enable that?

SystemErrorMessage

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:57 am

every routerboard has its own way of booting into safe mode or with the backup routerOS and some have serial that lets you configure the OS without a network connection. There should be a manual for it somewhere.

When you update a routerboard always start with the system package first if you are doing it 1 by 1. I usually just stuff all the packages in and let it update.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:12 pm

All newer RouterBOARDs have the same procedure. Devices from more than 6-7 years ago could have slight differences.

Start the device while holding the reset button (before applying power), this will use the Backup RouterBOOT loader.

More info: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Reset_button

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:24 pm

I found these boards with 6.30.2 come with firmware 3.27
But in the firmware upgrade its stated that the upgrade available is 3.24 ?????

I now took my 2nd SXTac lite and just did the full package upgrade to 6.34.2 over the internet (winbox \system \package\check For Updates\Download and reboot

The board runs now on ROS 6.34.2 with firmware 3.27 and the upgrade firmware available is 3.29
I reboot the board to upgrade the firmware and it comes back running with now firmware 3.29.... so far so good....

Now I drag and drop the 5 6.34.2 packages of choice again (this must work, the files are transported properly, the checksum checks the proper transfer. This is also the way we bulk update the network, manual or by the dude).

Reboot the board....... dead. Doesn't come back no more in the discovery tool nor can I log in by its mac or IP.
Did some power cycle, nothing.

So, hooked up my laptop, started netinstall (server running) and connected board to the laptop with ethernet.
Pressed the 'reset' switch to netinstall and the board shows up in the netinstall windows.
Have the same 5 package waiting to be installed, select the board, click on "install" and nothing happens.... netinstall just shows again the board is 'ready'. (Which it is not...)

So this is disaster again. I have to try the other 9 units but am afraid that the whole lot goes back to the supplier!

I AM NOT HAPPY!!!!

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:34 pm

All newer RouterBOARDs have the same procedure. Devices from more than 6-7 years ago could have slight differences.

Start the device while holding the reset button (before applying power), this will use the Backup RouterBOOT loader.

More info: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Reset_button
Sorry, not working.
I tried now on two SXTac's and it seems the backup routerboot loader is also not starting the board.
The leds lit (and go off after a while if I try to netinstall) but that's it.

The board does not become visible in discovery anymore.
I can 'see' it coming up in netinstall, but net install cannot install any packages. The SXT just doesn't respond....

Any more suggestions....? I am really getting pissed about this....

I have probably done some 2 thousand units over the years this same way, oldest boards by now are max 4 years old, but only these 'light' versions of the 911 and SXTac give me these headaches. Any other board or unit does NOT give me these issues. Even if they came with 6.30.2 installed!

I thing there must be something on these 'light' boards that in combination with 6.30.2 (or 6.30.1 I saw on earlier batch) give issues if the default factory package is replaced by some new standalone packages (No matter which versions. I tried several, all the same issue...)

Any more suggestions? I really getting frustrated here......

SystemErrorMessage

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:49 pm

did you also check that you are using the correct firmware? There are different MIPS packages.

If you have to use them and updating doesnt work yet i suggest you hold off on updating them.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:03 pm

Just tried to load the backup RouterBOOT loader on the 3 rb911 lite5 boards already packed for RMA... no backup routerBoot loader activity.
The board leds shows activity like the boards are running but there is no way I can reach the board....

But am going to try netinstall again (10th+ time!)

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:10 pm

did you also check that you are using the correct firmware? There are different MIPS packages.

If you have to use them and updating doesnt work yet i suggest you hold off on updating them.
I hardly have any mipse boards anymore. 99% we use is now mipsbe.
I still regurlarly update Sextants, QRT's, Netmetals, CCR's, rb411's, rb800's, normal SXT's (the whole range) some dynadish and some indoor units.

Its only the light versions of the 911 and the SXT ac that gives me these problems....

All the other units are usually upgraded in a 'drag and paste' sequence in winbox, even over remote wireless and I seldom have issues....

The problems in not using them with an upgrade is that when they are out in the field and one day we do a mass upgrade we probably forgot about these 'unable to upgrade' units so we go into disaster with them...

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:35 pm

Ok, just managed to get 1 board and 1 SXT (one board still failing, one left to try, one SXT failing again.... 8 more to test) back on the rails again.

How? Well, it seems the recommended 3+5=7 or 8 seconds wait (or untill leds die) for the netinstall is not a proper procedure. Even if netinstall 'sees' the boards I cannot upgrade them.
But when I keep the reset button pressed until the unit actually shows in the netinstall program I sudden CAN install the new packages.
At least, that worked now on one board and one SXT.
The other SXT also worked, but after the install of the new packages it fell back in its old 'in visible' status again.....

What an ordeal just to get some of these boards working..... :(

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Ok, I've got the 2 SXTac lites working now. One of the problems is that these units come by default with a bridge installed to bridge the ether1 and wlan1 together.
Apart it messes up with all my scripts (plus the fact that wlan1 now suddenly is a radio that I don't want to configure. All my scripts are using "wlan1" for the wireless interface, now it suddenly is "wlan2" I need to aim at.... :( )

Anyway, the boards work now finally. It still is weird that an "drag and drop" in windows doesn't work for these boards.
It gives a lot of extra work since we've set an office up with a certain way of working and now for these 'troubled' boards we need to have a laptop somewhere so we can do net installs.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: routerboard lite failure, again!

Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:35 pm

After working all day to get the 3 boards and 2 SXT's working I was hopeful in trying a 3rd SXTac from the box....

Connected by winbox ==> fine
Did not accept the standard config ==> fine
Reboot the unit ==> fine
Looked at the firmware; runs on 2.27 but shows update is available; 2.24 (??)
Tried to upgrade firmware ==> denied, already newer firmware installed. ( pff whatever...)
Loaded my script that sets the unit to connect to my tower on my house ==> fine.
Script made radio to connect after renamed the interfaces. Got pppoe authentication from server and unit could reach the internet. All fine.
In winbox went to system\package and clicked on "Check For Updates", ==> showed installed version 6.30.2 and new version ("current") 6.34.2 available.
Clicked on "Download&Install" and the unit downloaded the new packages and rebooted ==> fine
After the unit came back up, checked installation, all running fine. No problems whatsoever.

Now; loaded 5 packages (wireless, system, dhcp, ppp and advanced tools) into the file window with drag and drop and rebooted the unit. (I don't want the full system packages to occupy memory if they are never used. Only want these package in the memory which are in use. Hence the erasure of the full combined .npd to replace by only 5 package of need.)
Waited some 5 minutes for the unit to come back ==> nothing.
Looked in windows discovery on 2 different PC's, ==> nothing.
Tried to log into the unit with its last known IP address given by dhcp server to client that my script installed; ==> nothing.
Tried to log into the unit with its last known mac; ==> nothing.

Disconnected the board, went to my laptop, started netinstall v.6.34.2 and connected the unit while 'reset' button pressed. Kept it pressed in until the unit appears in the netinstall program. Takes 2 minutes or so but yes, I can see it.
Select the unit, have the 5 packages (see above) ready waiting and press the button "install"; A quick flash of the process bar and the unit dis selected itself with the message "Ready". So nothing happened!
Try to access the unit by winbox; ==> nothing.
Tried netinstall at least 5 more times; nothing, same result everytime again. Board became unresponsive again...

I gave up for today. Spend almost 8 hours to get 5 units to work and now no. 6 fails me again...... :( :( :(
I am sooo tired of this...

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:00 am

This is really bad. Look like you did everything right, the same like I do (just in difference I put the individual packages in immediately after removing the config without updating the combined package from the mikrotik server).

Have you sent this to support? What did they say?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re:

Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:12 am

This is really bad. Look like you did everything right, the same like I do (just in difference I put the individual packages in immediately after removing the config without updating the combined package from the mikrotik server).

Have you sent this to support? What did they say?
They told me I should follow the proper procedure and asked how I do my things because they can't reproduce the issue.....

You're way of doing things is basically the same I always used to do. But since this doesn't work I am now trying other ways. But actually the bottom line is; if the new stand alone packages are uploaded and installed the boards lost it......

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:01 pm

I am quite surprised by this, because it always worked fine for me.
Unfortunatelly mikrotik always breaks old good things. Now I am still keeping the 6.32.3 that ensures my devices to work stable.
I am using 6.34.2 on virtual x86 and CHR for dude testing purposes only now and so far I am not planning to move forward with devices in the field.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:51 pm

I don't think it has to do with a software VERSION.
It probably has more to do with a batch of boards (=hardware) that has been pre-fabricated and loaded with a default OS that includes some bug.

Because it ONLY happens on the two lite boards (the RB911-5HnD and the RBSXT5HacD2n)

I have several other boards, or units (QRT, Dyndish, SXT's Sextant, Netmetal, CCR, indoor AP's etc. etc. ) that doesn't give the problems like I have with these. And everywhere I use basically the same procedure.

Maybe I am just unlucky to have a 3rd batch of lite boards that fail on me...... :(

The moment I finally managed to get the 5 packages (on ANY version above 6.30.xx!) installed (so the nand has been erase and formatted again) the boards work fine afterwards.... like they should.....