Community discussions

MikroTik App

milomasters
just joined
Topic Author

Underclock or disable processors on CCR1036-8G-2S+

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:23 am

Through a very long story, I find myself the owner of a CCR1036-8G-2S+. I set it up and I love it, it is just way overkill for what I do. All of my cpus are basically idling. I even slowed the processor down to 400 MHz, and they still don't do anything. This is one powerful router.

The only downside of this router is the massive heat it puts off. Is there a way to drop the CPU to an even lower speed? Or to disable some of the CPUs?

Miracle
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Underclock or disable processors on CCR1036-8G-2S+

Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:32 am

I think disable processor by software don't save electric power. (Frequency, die voltage are fixed)
They need to make it like intel's cpu :lol:

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:24 am

I think disable processor by software don't save electric power. (Frequency, die voltage are fixed)

totally agree, tilera CPUS dont change the power consumption too much between full load and idle

i have a CCR1009 with a power consumption of 17watt at 1000mhz at full load to 15watt at 400mhz at idle

in comparison an INTEL core i 4th generation CPU (dual core) at full load dissipates UP to 54watt but idles at 2-3 watt

milomasters
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:37 pm

I was hoping that since this has firmware, that I could disable it in the software, and it would really do the disabling in the firmware. So that it isn't an OS disable, but a hardware one. Taking it back to a computer comparison. My PC has 4 cores but the BIOS will let me disable some of them.

I can't be the only one who thinks that these Tile processors are overkill in a lot of situations. I would think that disabling some of the cores has come up before, but I can't find anything in the forums.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:03 pm

I was hoping that since this has firmware, that I could disable it in the software, and it would really do the disabling in the firmware. So that it isn't an OS disable, but a hardware one. Taking it back to a computer comparison. My PC has 4 cores but the BIOS will let me disable some of them.

I can't be the only one who thinks that these Tile processors are overkill in a lot of situations. I would think that disabling some of the cores has come up before, but I can't find anything in the forums.
because that mikrotik has a Passive cooling and compact version of CCR1009 (9 cores) for this situations where you want a powerfull but small router

http://routerboard.com/CCR1009-8G-1S-1SplusPC

milomasters
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:25 pm

because that mikrotik has a Passive cooling and compact version of CCR1009 (9 cores) for this situations where you want a powerfull but small router

I understand that there are other products with less cores. No matter what, I am not going to buy another router. The issue is moving forward with what I already have.

I have a closet in my utility room where my old routers, switches, and house patch panel are. That closet used to not even get warm. With this in there, I have to leave the door wide open otherwise the heat gets incredible. I have a cat that likes to be in that closet, and she causes issues in there. So keeping the door open is not optimal. Really, I just want to make it put out just a little bit less heat. I don't need most of the cores and I don't even need those at 400 MHz. So my thinking is that turning off some of the cores or adjusting to something like 100 MHz, is the way forward. Does anyone have any ideas how with how to accomplish this.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:02 pm

Advantage QorIQ since 2012 here?

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:40 pm

Tile-Gx is in addition 40nm.

SystemErrorMessage

Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:01 am

I keep trying to point out the problem with the cooling design of the CCR1036. It needs front fans.
Putting the CPU down to 400mhz significantly lowers power use for me.

Instead of 2 very noisy fans they could've went with 4 silent fans and get better cooling. The heatsink could've been bigger and cooling is reliant on a tunnel.

According to Tilera the Tilegx line supports dynamic clocks and other power saving features but mikrotik never focuses on them. Have you ever seen a router that isnt x86 that has power savings?

milomasters
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:08 pm

According to Tilera the Tilegx line supports dynamic clocks and other power saving features but mikrotik never focuses on them. Have you ever seen a router that isnt x86 that has power savings?
My answer to this is no, but my experience is very limited. With this thing costing as much as a computer, I would hope that all of the available power saving features would be possible. This goes for the entire CCR product line. I am only speculating, but I find it hard to believe that most real world scenarios have any of these products even close to fully utilized.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:33 pm

EFSI ?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:47 am

I have a closet in my utility room where my old routers, switches, and house patch panel are. That closet used to not even get warm. With this in there, I have to leave the door wide open otherwise the heat gets incredible. I have a cat that likes to be in that closet, and she causes issues in there. So keeping the door open is not optimal. ...
ccr1036 dissipates maximum of 80 watt and that is published on the specs of the equipment

i think if 80watt of heat get you into trouble you problem is a proper location for equipment of better cooling for that location

milomasters
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:10 am

i think if 80watt of heat get you into trouble you problem is a proper location for equipment of better cooling for that location
Wow did you ignore my other posts or what! The closet has other things in it related to communications. 80 watts by itself probably would not be an issue. If it were alone, but it isn't alone.

I agree that the closet is not ideal. At the same time, it is not ideal that this thing puts of so much heat, while idling. There really isn't any reason that it should. Back in the real world, which would you try first? break down some concrete and make the closet bigger, move it to a new location and rewire my entire house, or change a few setting so it doesn't put off so much heat?

I am not asking for a miracle here. I am not asking about my house, I am not asking about your opinion on why I have it, I am not asking for a reference to buy a different router. I am asking, if there are some settings that I can use to make this put off less heat. That's it.

If you don't have an answer to my question. Please don't post responses like this, they don't do anyone any good. And just make it harder for the next guy wondering the same thing.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:35 am

Wow did you ignore my other posts or what! The closet has other things in it related to communications. 80 watts by itself probably would not be an issue. If it were alone, but it isn't alone.

I agree that the closet is not ideal. At the same time, it is not ideal that this thing puts of so much heat, while idling. There really isn't any reason that it should. Back in the real world, which would you try first? break down some concrete and make the closet bigger, move it to a new location and rewire my entire house, or change a few setting so it doesn't put off so much heat?

I am not asking for a miracle here. I am not asking about my house, I am not asking about your opinion on why I have it, I am not asking for a reference to buy a different router. I am asking, if there are some settings that I can use to make this put off less heat. That's it.

If you don't have an answer to my question. Please don't post responses like this, they don't do anyone any good. And just make it harder for the next guy wondering the same thing.
i think you are overreacting

just make 2 holes on the door:
1 on the lower side as close to the floor as you can
2 on the high side as close to the ceiling as you can

put some grids to avoid cat or something else get in the location

normal convection of hot air will get the air up and out at the high hole, in consequence fresh air will get in through the lower hole

if that is not enough put a low rpm and noise fan at the high hole and maybe you are done

PD

i think if the 80watt of CCR are not the hottest device of the location then you are searching the solution in the wrong equipment of the location, is better to attack the problem at the equipment generating the most of the heat

tile processors of the CCR line are consuming 2 watt per core i don't think that's a very serious issue, keep in mind CCR1036 is not a mobile device or even a desktop device, is a device designed for serious networking implementations

milomasters
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:02 am

Do you pride yourself on how unhelpful you are? Cutting holes in the door is not easier than changing a setting on the router.. Please stop posting to this question, as you don't know what you are talking about. I am looking for an answer to my specific question, not a diversion from my question. Most likely the answer will come from someone at Mikrotik who knows about the hardware.

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:53 am

Have you asked support@mikrotik.com about this yet? If they respond, please let us know what options they give you. I would like to hear about a setting for significantly reducing the heat from my passively cooled 10% CPU utilization CCR1009s in small metal cabinets outside. I do not think the option exists. We are venting the boxes. We don't want to vent the boxes. Insects always seem to find their way in.

Venting the closet door may be easier than changing a software setting which may not exist.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:11 am

This is the smallest Mikrotik unit that could perhaps route a stream at more than 1 Gbps, so it is important to optimize power and noise.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:48 am

Do you pride yourself on how unhelpful you are? Cutting holes in the door is not easier than changing a setting on the router.. Please stop posting to this question, as you don't know what you are talking about. I am looking for an answer to my specific question, not a diversion from my question. Most likely the answer will come from someone at Mikrotik who knows about the hardware.
Well, he may not have come out and said in one sentence: "this isn't possible with ROS - sorry" - but I believe this thread has already given strong indications that underclocking doesn't result in less heat by the router, so apparently that option is out. Your ideal solution apparently isn't doable, regardless of what Mikrotik should or shouldn't do, or what Tile CPU should or shouldn't do. The fact of the matter is what it does or doesn't do.... which apparently doesn't include an option to generate less heat.

You also don't want to re-locate equipment to a more well-cooled/ventilated area (understandable) - so your options remain:
under-power some other device (you yourself said that it's the combined heat output that's hurting you), use another router that generates less heat, or else find a way to dissipate the heat. Unfortunately, Chechito doesn't have a magic ice wand to wave over the CCR - I'm sure he would have done so for you if he could, because he is a very helpful member of this community.

Your dislike of the facts doesn't mean that Chechito was "unhelpful." Again, he didn't outright say "cannot be done", but his earlier replies certainly gave ME, an un-involved 3rd party, the impression that the heat output isn't really something that can be reduced much, given the platform. Don't shoot the messenger - especially when he's actually giving suggestions on how to deal with the situation, given the fact that the router will belch out however many BTUs it currently does, give or take a few, regardless of its workload and clock settings.

Take it up with support for a completely definitive answer if that's what you want, but from my position on the sidelines, I will say that it sounds like time for plan B - deal with the heat by some other means than underclocking the CCR.