MikroTik App

karyal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB license problem

Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:02 pm

Hi, i have a problem with an RB532.
It's a level 5, but it reports that it is upgradable up to august 1 2006, and i cannot upgrade to 2.9.29 (i need to do so for some bgp fixes.)
I was able to upgrade up to 2.9.27, and can't upgrade (ftp) to 2.9.28.
Also, since i bought the first RB in october last year, itshould be upgradable anyway..
Is there any way i can upgrade to 2.9.29 (possibly NOT with a netinstall..)
Thanks,
Ricky

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:08 pm

The only way to upgrade if you license period is over (after the "old" licensing scheme) is doing a netinstall, I fear...

Best regards,
Christian Meis

karyal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:29 pm

The only way to upgrade if you license period is over (after the "old" licensing scheme) is doing a netinstall, I fear...

Best regards,
Christian Meis
I see. the point is upgrade period for a level5 license bought after last november should not be expired, isn't it?
Bye,
Ricky

pacman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:22 pm

It depends on where you bought it from. The licence date is set when Mikrotik ship the boards to you or the distributor.

If you bought it from a distributor, and they had had that routerboard in stock for some months before you then bought it from them then it is quite possible that the expiry date for the licence was less than 12 months.

karyal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:52 pm

It depends on where you bought it from. The licence date is set when Mikrotik ship the boards to you or the distributor.

If you bought it from a distributor, and they had had that routerboard in stock for some months before you then bought it from them then it is quite possible that the expiry date for the licence was less than 12 months.
Fine, i thought that the date was set at first boot.. i'm not sure, but upgrade time for level 5 wasn't three years, and one for level 4?
Thanks,
Ricky

pacman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:08 pm

I'm not sure but I think the 3 years for Level 5 only came in with the "new" Level 5, that is when they moved from Level 3 to Level 4 as the basic licence.

karyal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:00 pm

I'm not sure but I think the 3 years for Level 5 only came in with the "new" Level 5, that is when they moved from Level 3 to Level 4 as the basic licence.
Ok. i see... last question.. i know i can then upgrade with a netinstall... from then on, can i upgrade throuh ftp or that board will be upgraded with netinstall only (in this case i'd be better off swapping the board, id' rather avoid climbing a 50 meters tower everytime =)
Bye,
Ricky

pacman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:48 pm

I have done it remotely on some of our routers without netinstall.

I have bought a new licence of the MT web site and saved the new key on my desktop. I then logged into winbox and imported the new licence key. After that I could once again "drag and drop" new firmware into the "files" section of winbox.

I would think you would probably only need a Level 4 licence now and not Level 5.