Community discussions

MikroTik App

dragon2611
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

HEX as a switch?

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:51 pm

As per title really, I need a small remote powered switch with at least 4 ports, Given the HEX seems smaller than the 250GS and has the full routerOS i'm wondering if it's a better choice.

Also do Routerboards shut down if they get to hot it might need to be shoved into the TV distribution box as there's where the builders wired the Cat5 to :shock: )

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: HEX as a switch?

Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:20 pm

Yes, you can do that, hEX has a swich chip where all the ports are connected through.
No, they don't shut down, they keep working no matter what. At some point you will start to get dropped packets or worse, but that is at the case melting point anyway

dragon2611
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:25 pm

I'd be a bit worried about it if it got so hot to melt the case :shock:

I do have some RB450G's spare but I think the HEX might be a better fit as it looks to be smaller and also hopefully a bit more energy efficient/runs cooler?

There's a large hole in the wall in the back of the box so it's not totally enclosed... would have been an IP rated enclosure had the builders that fitted it not done that :lol: (quite why they went for that indoors I'm not sure)

ShayanFiroozi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:31 pm

use a small fan !!

i have a RB750GL working 8 month of year in over 40C temperature without any problem or packet dropping,

if you wanna use automatic fan which on/off with different temperature it could be costly

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:34 pm

packets will get dropped only above +65C ambient not 40 :)

dragon2611
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:06 am

How not to install an RB750 :lol:

I'll probably replace it with something gig capable shortly but it was either that on an RB450G that I had spare that could be poe powered :lol:

Seriously why the builders would pre-wire the place with CAT5, then put it in the TV distribution box with next to no slack is beyond me.

Will have to either resort to joining the cables to put a switch somewhere a bit more sensible or putting some screws through that plastic to mount it there permanently.

I'm tempted to get a power socket put in that cupboard but as this place is rented i'd have to speak to the landlord first (he was ok with me making the cat5 work :lol: )