Community discussions

MikroTik App

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Why people pair UBNT APs with MikroTik routers?

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:48 am

But all the complains about ARM are wireless related, right? A pure router (a true CCR) could do well, couldn't it? The 4011 has some problems with the FSP+ ports - but they are chipset related, not CPU related.

Or I am missing something?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=138613
Many minor issues like reboots, freezes, SFP issues plenty of butthurt. I guess ARM devices also don't support CPU clock adjustments. I also personally use hAP ac2 and I didn't manage to get USB modem to work. The same modem plugged to CCR1009 works flawlessly so I ended up connecting 3g backup line to core router instead of edge router which doesn't really make much sense tbh from infrastructure standpoint but it was the only option I had...

Basically ARM support is quite incomplete comparing to other platforms including Tile-Gx.
Well, apart wifi (still a mess), almost all problems on this thread are related to SFP module on SFP+ cage needing auto negotiation disabled. I saw one (two?) people complaining about instability - but they gone away. Maybe a lemon? Many others said it was stable on production, so...

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:18 am

But all the complains about ARM are wireless related, right? A pure router (a true CCR) could do well, couldn't it? The 4011 has some problems with the FSP+ ports - but they are chipset related, not CPU related. Or I am missing something?

I'm loving the RB4011. I don't use the WiFi model.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:22 am

I saw one (two?) people complaining about instability - but they gone away. Maybe a lemon?

I was complaining about stability of hAP ac² (also ARM based). The problem was freezing of all wired ports (I don't really use wireless on that unit so I don't know if wireless froze as well) and had to configure watchdog for it to automatically recover. I've since changed configuration (went from /interface ethernet switch based VLAN setup to /interface bridge based setup) and I'm running beta versions of ROS.

It runs stable now, not sure which change did the trick (possibly the move towards bridge vlan-filtering as switch chip has at least one known bug regarding VLANs). Which also hints that problems with ARM devices are actually problems with peripheral devices (switch chips, wireless adapters) rather than CPU platform itself.

Hence if MT introduced high-end router based on ARM platform and wouldn't save dimes on peripheral hardware, it might prove as a stable and potent device.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:01 am

@mkx: Interesting! similar happened to me when I tried to limit bandwidth to one particular port via switch menu! Whole unit was disconnecting on regular basis.. I guess the switch in RBD52G is not that good after all

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:21 am

@mkx: Interesting! similar happened to me when I tried to limit bandwidth to one particular port via switch menu! Whole unit was disconnecting on regular basis.. I guess the switch in RBD52G is not that good after all
I'm using hardware switch a lot in hAP ac², even with 9k jumbo and looping traffic twice through that switch (from cpu port to 2x HA inline L2 IPS, back to hAP, to second router) and didn't experience instabilities. It sounds like coin toss. I'm very satisfied with hAP ac² switch because I use 9k jumbo in whole LAN so it was nice to be able to do all fragmentation on edge router.

That said I didn't limit bandwidth on switch.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:15 pm

When I first started to play with RBD52G, I used it as simple switch/AP without VLANs ... and it ran stable. So it seems that switch chip doesn't like any filtering (either bandwidth filtering or VLAN tag manipulation or ...).
As I reported in another thread a while ago, MT confitmed a switch chip bug regarding untagging PADO (or something) packets ... which affects running PPPoE on top of vlan interface over HW-offloaded access port. Not very common scenario, I know. The same bug doesn't happen if access port is on another device (I checked both RB951G and a D-Link managed switch), nor does it happen with bridge vlan-filtering. PPPoE client is running on RBD52G all the time.

netflow
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:18 pm

I'm using hardware switch a lot in hAP ac², even with 9k jumbo and looping traffic twice through that switch (from cpu port to 2x HA inline L2 IPS, back to hAP, to second router) and didn't experience instabilities. It sounds like coin toss. I'm very satisfied with hAP ac² switch because I use 9k jumbo in whole LAN so it was nice to be able to do all fragmentation on edge router.

That said I didn't limit bandwidth on switch.
Well it didn't work for me. Cause seemed linked with wifi, after investigation with the support they asked me to return the unit. Had also some switch vlan configurations. I have no use for a unit that hang at least once a day. Maybe that was just bad luck but I am not willing to try out all the units of my supplier to tell...