Community discussions

MikroTik App

dikkiedirk
Topic Author

Terrible 2.4 GHz and bad 5 GHz performance on hAP AC

Sat May 21, 2016 12:22 pm

I have my hAP AC configured as a AP and connected it through eth1 to my router.

Normally when I connect wireless on 2.4 and 5 GHZ to the router I get max ISP up and down speed in speedtest.
Also when connected wired to on of the other LAN ports on the hAP AC I get max speed.

But when connected wireless to the hAP AC I get only 10-20% on 2.4 GHz and 50% on 5 GHz.

I am happy to generate a log file and config file if you tell me how.

I must have done something terribly wrong I think.

Please help me solve this.

country is set to Netherlands

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Terrible 2.4 GHz and bad 5 GHz performance on hAP AC

Sat May 21, 2016 12:55 pm

But when connected wireless to the hAP AC I get only 10-20% on 2.4 GHz and 50% on 5 GHz.
In another post of yours I've read that your ISP connection is 200M downstream, so 10-20% is 20-40M which is not that bad for 2.4GHz in a nowadays almost everywhere congested environment.

As to 5 GHz... there's lots of questions left open. What band do you use? What channel width do you use? What client device do you use for testing? What you client device is capable of (supported bands, MIMO specification, max supported channel width)?

Also check your wireless power settings- using more then 50-100mW (17-20dBm) indoors is usually a bad idea.

dikkiedirk
Topic Author

Sat May 21, 2016 5:02 pm

In another post of yours I've read that your ISP connection is 200M downstream, so 10-20% is 20-40M which is not that bad for 2.4GHz in a nowadays almost everywhere congested environment.

As to 5 GHz... there's lots of questions left open. What band do you use? What channel width do you use? What client device do you use for testing? What you client device is capable of (supported bands, MIMO specification, max supported channel width)?

Also check your wireless power settings- using more then 50-100mW (17-20dBm) indoors is usually a bad idea.
I am not on 200M now, but will be in the future. At the moment I am on 40 down/4 up. Sorry, I should have been clearer

I have 2.4 set to 20/40 Ce at 2412,2432 and 5 GHz set to 20/40/80 eeeC at 5560,5540

I haven't changed power setting. I did set country to Netherlands. Where do I set power?

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 21, 2016 8:47 pm

What wireless package do you use? wireless-fp, wireless-cm2, wireless-rep? I had some problems with hAP-AC and wireless-rep in version 6.35.1 after running a few days in capsman setup ... restart resolved all problems but I switched back to wireless-cm2 just in case and had no issues since.

dikkiedirk
Topic Author

Sat May 21, 2016 9:06 pm

What wireless package do you use? wireless-fp, wireless-cm2, wireless-rep? I had some problems with hAP-AC and wireless-rep in version 6.35.1 after running a few days in capsman setup ... restart resolved all problems but I switched back to wireless-cm2 just in case and had no issues since.
How can I check this? I have fw 3.31 now and use RouterOS 6.35.2.

Marino
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun May 22, 2016 3:31 pm

In your webinterface go to system -> packages. You'll see which wireless package is active.

dikkiedirk
Topic Author

Mon May 23, 2016 1:25 pm

In your webinterface go to system -> packages. You'll see which wireless package is active.
Thanks, it uses wireless-cm2

heydude

Tue May 24, 2016 3:25 pm

Hi guys!!!

I have similar issues with the new <hAP ac lite> and <wAP ac> devices.

2.4 ghz:
If I set up a local SSID on each AP, auto frequency seems to work fine. First it scans all channels and chooses one with lowest usage. Problems start, when I connect it to CapsMan (wireless-cm2 package). Managed by CapsMan, they always assign channels, which are already heavily used by other wireless networks. It looks like, when they are managed by CapsMan, they don't run the frequency usage scan and just assign any channel!!!

5 ghz:
local or managed by CapsMan the 5 ghz modul is working perfect and with full speed. autofrequency seems to work just fine here!!!

Has anyone the same issues here?

For us, auto frequency is a absolut must because networks around and their frequency constantly change

alexvolnorez
just joined

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:28 pm

Hi guys!!!

I have similar issues with the new <hAP ac lite> and <wAP ac> devices.

2.4 ghz:
If I set up a local SSID on each AP, auto frequency seems to work fine. First it scans all channels and chooses one with lowest usage. Problems start, when I connect it to CapsMan (wireless-cm2 package). Managed by CapsMan, they always assign channels, which are already heavily used by other wireless networks. It looks like, when they are managed by CapsMan, they don't run the frequency usage scan and just assign any channel!!!

5 ghz:
local or managed by CapsMan the 5 ghz modul is working perfect and with full speed. autofrequency seems to work just fine here!!!

Has anyone the same issues here?

For us, auto frequency is a absolut must because networks around and their frequency constantly change
Hello.

We have the similar problem with "wAP ac", even without CapsMan "wAP ac" device have very low speed on 2.4GHz. Although we have "hAP ac" device and near him the speed weary good.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:01 pm

We have the similar problem with "wAP ac", even without CapsMan "wAP ac" device have very low speed on 2.4GHz.
ChangeLog for 6.39rc4 mentions the following:
*) wAP ac - improved 2.4GHz wireless performance;
I have 5 wAP ac units (4 CAPs and 1 standalone AP), and all of them are running some 6.39rc software just because of that. I have no problems with these units at all- rock solid and fast.