Community discussions

MikroTik App

heydude
Topic Author

wAP ac 2.4ghz channel issues

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:11 pm

We currently have 4 new wAP ac devices running in different locations managed by CAPsMAN on a CCR1036 Router.
After many tests and a lot of trouble I came to the conclusion that the wAP ac's may have huge problems on the 2.4ghz module due to the hardware design of their internal antennas.

First I enabled the CAPsMAN auto frequency selection for all 4 devices (only 2.4ghz module is enabled, 5ghz is not used so far). But always when a CAP was sending in a certain channel, it was not possible to connect to its Wifi. So, I thought, this has something to to with the frequency selection of CAPsMAN. I tried to disable extention channels, only use chain 0 ore much other things. Nothing helps!!!
When I disable CAPsMAN on the wAP's interface and do a frequency usage scan, it showed that frequencies from 2427 to 2447 are heavy used? So, I had another device at the same location (BaseBox 2) and did the same scan there... and, how I expected, same frequencies which are heavily used on the wAP ac seem to be totally unused on the BaseBox2!!!

So, I guess there is eather a big Software bug in the wAP ac or a big hardware design issue!!!

Can someone pleas try to reproduce this effect? I hope I am not the only one with this problems

At the moment all wAP ac's are set manually to frequency 2452 and are working fine there. But we need the auto frequency selection working on all channels!!

Thanks for help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jivo

Re: wAP ac 2.4ghz channel issues

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:25 pm

You are not the only one with this issue, but from the time difference between your post and mine, I would say that noone seems to care.
WAP ac does not work properly on 2.4 GHz on channels 5, 6, 7, and 8.

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Are You running latest RouterOS version?

volkswagner
just joined

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:09 am

You are not the only one with this issue, but from the time difference between your post and mine, I would say that noone seems to care.
WAP ac does not work properly on 2.4 GHz on channels 5, 6, 7, and 8.
Does this mean we should have success on channels 1-4?

I can confirm many hours spent here trying to figure out why such slow
speeds occur on two brand new wAP AC devices using the 2.4Ghz channel.

I have requested an RMA, as these devices are unusable on the 2.4Ghz radio.

I ran some tests, shortly after boot, the 2.4Ghz throughput was reasonable.
Once the device heated up, speeds were in the 1-2Mbs range (within 10 feet from device).
According to system temp was showing 60deg C. I directed my air conditioner at the unit.
Once sytem temp dropped below 54deg C, the speeds increased significantly. Ambient
temp in the room was 72deg F.

volkswagner
just joined

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:14 pm

I can't believe there is no help or additional information here on this issue.

Can anyone post an export of a functioning 2.4Ghz config on the wAP AC?

I finally received my RMA from supplier. I don't want to get two new units if
they have the same inherent problem.

@HeyDude, did you ever resolve your issue with these wAP AC units on the 2.4Ghz band?
You indicated the issue may be antenna design, but have you experienced the issue only after
temperature increased? I believe the CPU and 2.4Ghz chip are the same chip... no?

Is it possible I just got two out of two bad units shipped to me?

anuser

Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:43 pm

2.4Ghz is working normally. If the air ist full with other access points, sending at the same frequency, then you will have problems. In a crowded environment you should use 20Mhz channels only. Also set the channel on your own.

Temperature on my WAP AC devices is about 67°C, that's normal for a WAP AC. Bandwith doesn't go down when temperature goes up. But it goes down the more clients are connected and the more other devices are sending on the same channel.